Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Strange Days Vol. 5: My Say in Salem; 'Days of our Sami' the death of DOOL?
Topic Started: Oct 13 2007, 05:11 PM (547 Views)
IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Will ‘Days of our Sami’ be the death of ‘Days of our Lives’?

Note: Some spoilers discussed in this column.

Who else is sick of The Sami Show?

I remember the first time I saw that question posed on a “Days of our Lives” message board sometime last spring and I was pissed. Bitter, jealous fans, I thought, of the people decrying the increased airtime for Samantha Brady while their previously front and center faves took a turn on the backburner.

Back then, I felt like it was Alison Sweeney’s time to shine on this soap and given that Sami Brady has been my favorite female character on “Days” for the last ten years or so, I was pleased by the development.

I still think it makes sense to give the actress and the character of Sami Brady a great deal of airtime given her popularity and the fact that both Ali and Sami are in the prime of their soap lives. But after what we’ve gotten this year and the storyline spoilers on the horizon I am starting to wonder if TPTB have ever heard of the expression that there can be too much of a good thing.

It would be one thing if Sami was sucking up all this airtime where she was actually doing something besides crying and whining and crying some more, if she was scheming or fighting or working or loving, but for the most part all we get are redundant, mind-numbing, soul-draining conversations and tears. Tears about what the DiMeras have done to her family and what they might do in the future. Tears about the future of her relationship with Lucas and the fate of her babies. Tears about the unwanted feelings she’s developing for E.J. I just want to send Hogan Sheffer cases upon cases of Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo so maybe he’ll get the message that the fans are sick of it and would like No More Tears! Because the storyline for Sami right now is driving ME to tears.

And I don’t know ANYONE who is enjoying the way Sami Brady is being written right now or her storyline. If you’re reading this and you are enjoying it, please speak up and tell me why, because I’m just not seeing it on the boards and I know as a Sami fan I’m not caring for it much but I would like to like it.

It appears that fans that have invested in either Lumi or EJami are both frustrated with how fickle and bipolar Sami is acting in her relationships with Lucas and E.J. in that one minute she is telling Lucas their relationship means everything to her and swearing she hates E.J. with every fiber of her being, while the next she is making excuses to spend time with E.J. and sharing private moments with him about which she lies and tries to keep secret from Lucas. Is this being written as a love triangle or a love tug of war?

Sami fans with no stake in either couple also seem quite bored with this storyline it seems, and many would just like to see her move on with either man so this show can just finally move forward and we can see something new. There’s also the matter of Hogan having “redeemed” Sami by making her naïve, trapped in an impossible situation, routinely victimized and dead-set on martyring herself for the people she loves to gain their approval in weepy heroine mode rather than scheming to get what she wants from others like the badass bitch she once was that seems to be a disappointment to many Sami fans.

Then there’s the Sami haters who either just never really cared about her much because they didn’t find her interesting or came to despise her because of the horrible things she has done to their favorites including Kate, John, Marlena, Carrie, Austin and even Lucas and E.J. In a way, all of these characters have been sacrificed on the altar of Sami in the past year. Kate has been reduced to a pathetic whore for Stefano again and lost her company because Sami’s relationship with E.J. made Lucas so jealous he let the SEC go after his mother (after she had already been humiliated with cake in her face and sprayed by a fire extinguisher also for Sami’s sake). John is a literal speed bump for TPTB’s plans for Sami as the catalyst to cause Sami to leave Lucas for E.J. and Marlena has to lose her husband because of it. Carrie and Austin had to be quickly written out and sent away to allow for the haphazard and unbelievably quick Lucas and Sami reunion. Lucas has often been made to look aloof, stupid, pathetic, immature, possessive and weak when it suits the whims of the show’s writers to accomplish its plot for Sami and to make E.J. look better in comparison, while E.J. also gets painted with the bipolar paintbrush as pathetically, desperately and dangerously in love with Sami when the storyline calls for him to look psycho and evil to prop Lucas and Sami. If I’m a Sami fan and I’m sick of The Sami Show, I can’t even imagine how tedious this is for the people who aren’t fans of her.

Hopefully, November sweeps will bring some sort of resolution to “Days of our Sami” and the show will no longer be held hostage by her love life, because if the soap doesn’t move on and give us new storylines I really fear that E.J./Sami/Lucas is the Bermuda Triangle of “Days.”

And that means the cancellation of The Sami Show in 2009 or sooner.

-Mary

This week in Salem:

Performer of the week – Frank Parker (Grandpa Shawn) … Wow. Did anyone have any idea when this storyline started how awesome he would be? I sure didn’t. Even if it pissed me off that he was such a wimp about not pulling the plug on Andre himself, I thought Frank did an outstanding job playing Shawn’s conflict about what to do and trying to make sense of what had happened. His scenes with Bo and especially Stefano were great, too.

Episode of the week – Friday … It’s been a long time since an episode of “Days of our Lives” made me feel as much as that one did. All of the performances were outstanding, Mike Cohen’s script was top notch, Ed Scott’s production touch in terms of the direction and the location were welcome and the dramatic impact of it all made it the best cliffhanger Friday I can remember in years.

Scene of the week – John and Marlena before and after the car crash (Friday) ... John broke my heart throughout this episode, but I was really impressed with John and Marlena and wasn’t sure what to expect from them quite honestly when it’s been so long since we’ve seen them do anything besides vapidly suck face or read letters. The light and playful flirtatious banter of John and Marlena as they tried to get Belle’s car unlocked was welcome and well-done, as was the execution of the car crash and its heart-wrenching aftermath.

Couple of the week – E.J. and Sami … Even if bipolar Sami and psycho E.J. surfacing again was annoying, these two shined bright on Monday. The bickerflirting argument as Sami mopped over his feet leading to her venting to hope while E.J. confided in Tony was fun to see. And that declaration of love, promise to lie to his father for her sake and the kiss on the cheek as the Santeen theme played in the background? Swoon.

Salem stooge of the week – The Brady family … That pep rally at the Brady Pub for Sami was so ridiculous. Why exactly are you Bradys so convinced Stefano is powerless right after you find out he is able to secure a church annulment for Lucas and Sami in one day’s time? Why are you Bradys convinced that Andre and Stefano dying will solve all your problems, even though both men have come back from the dead multiple times? What the hell is Caroline putting in clam chowder to make the Bradys so damn stupid and short-sighted? Then again, I don’t know if I can even pin it on that when they are so full of themselves and their moral superiority in comparison to the DiMeras, I can’t imagine anyone in that family needs to eat.

Scene-stealer of the week – Stefano’s motorized wheelchair … Love it or hate it – don’t tell me you’re not noticing it.

Line of the week – John (Friday) … “That’s a fact.”
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

:cheers: Cheers to you and fantastic observations. I for one don't even recognize the character of Sami anymore. Sami wouldn't not be giving in to this marriage. She would be figuring out a way to make EJ happy while staying married to Lucas. I always remember watching Sami knowing she was scheming and things at some point were going to be out of her control but still felt for her. I still wanted to watch knowing that it was going to blow up in her face.

Sami isn't the only character that I just don't get anymore. Lucas has become the nagging father telling Sami "no". You never know which EJ you are going to get on a given day. Then there is Belle who I am now suppose to believe Belle had these underlying feelings for Philip she just can't fight anymore. I am suppose to believe that after she was already married to Philip where every day she whined about not being with Shawn that now she is with Shawn she really wants to be with Philip. Princess Belle wants her cake and eat it too.

I know for me probably after next week, I don't know if I will be watching the show anymore. Right now the only reason I could watch is because my DVR records it for me. I am actually thinking of taking it off my DVR instead of taking the energy to delete this junk every day when I don't bother to watch it. My following of the show will online because reading spoilers and previews online will tell me enough of what is going on so that if this show does improve maybe I can tune in again.

Mason
Member Avatar

I love your columns, Mary! I always find myself agreeing 100% with them! :)

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Love it!

Quote:

Is this being written as a love triangle or a love tug of war?

Really, it's so very...bad. There's no subtlety in this triangle. There's not even any love, imho, and I long for the day when either they all die bloody, violent deaths or Sami gets her balls back and tells both guys she's not going to be their prize. 'Cause that's how it ultimately comes off to me- EJ wants her because he wants her; Lucas doesn't want to lose to EJ. My girl Sami would be plotting against both of them for that.

Alternatively, or at the same time, she would willingly marry into the Dimera family with the goal of taking them down from the inside out. And she'd do it without consulting her family, because that's how she used to be: stupid, self-centered & wicked. That'd be so much fun to watch- Sami playing EJ (and maybe developing feelings), plotting (maybe with Celeste's help because, well, I love Celeste and she's a schemer too) & living it up in the mansion, while the other Bradys wonder what the hell is wrong with her.

I think it would be a whole different issue if they were playing it more like the sextortion with EJ transformed Sami into this thing that she is. But even then by this point our old vengeful bitch would've returned. So I have no idea what they're plan or purpose is with this, but they could easily turn it around by focusing some attention on Sami the individual. I wouldn't mind her dominating if it were more about her, if that makes sense.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Great column Mary.

I understand the passing of the torch concept. It is a given, but this whole year, starting with the arrival of HS, has been an exercise is frustration. I do think that somehow HS has these ideas in his head for stories and then he changes, morphs the characters to fit the stories. That is something else we have seen more than once, but his problem is he seems to ignore so much show history, characters history and has utterly failed to realize just what in his characters the audience loves. Sami is the the best example but EJ is another. There have been improvements in some characters, for example Steffy, but overall the characters I really love and tune in to see, he has massacred. When you add in the fact that what he thinks is so great is a big stink bomb with lots of the audience, it is a recipe for the erosion of veiwers we have witnessed.

One other gripe is the seeming reluctance of this show to choose a story and go for broke with it. The one glaring exception-Touch My Thighs-aka Viva Las Vegas Hot Tub. That tripe lasted all summer at the expense of the promised riveting DiMera/Brady feud. Hello, HS that mess was a "b" story at best. Go for a sl or flush it. Just pick. I hate being jerked around more than anything.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

px780
Oct 13 2007, 09:57 PM
Love it!

Quote:

Is this being written as a love triangle or a love tug of war?

Really, it's so very...bad. There's no subtlety in this triangle. There's not even any love, imho, and I long for the day when either they all die bloody, violent deaths or Sami gets her balls back and tells both guys she's not going to be their prize. 'Cause that's how it ultimately comes off to me- EJ wants her because he wants her; Lucas doesn't want to lose to EJ. My girl Sami would be plotting against both of them for that.

Alternatively, or at the same time, she would willingly marry into the Dimera family with the goal of taking them down from the inside out. And she'd do it without consulting her family, because that's how she used to be: stupid, self-centered & wicked. That'd be so much fun to watch- Sami playing EJ (and maybe developing feelings), plotting (maybe with Celeste's help because, well, I love Celeste and she's a schemer too) & living it up in the mansion, while the other Bradys wonder what the hell is wrong with her.

I think it would be a whole different issue if they were playing it more like the sextortion with EJ transformed Sami into this thing that she is. But even then by this point our old vengeful bitch would've returned. So I have no idea what they're plan or purpose is with this, but they could easily turn it around by focusing some attention on Sami the individual. I wouldn't mind her dominating if it were more about her, if that makes sense.

It totally makes sense, PX. And thanks to you and all the people who posted comments on this column.

But ICAM that for as much air time as Sami gets I have no clue who the hell she is right now because the show does such a horrible job explaining and developing her character so I know why she is doing what she is doing and why she is thinking it. I mean she's a pathological liar, or at least has been historically, so I really can't take anything she says at face value and her actions make no sense and she's become just as saccharine sweet and sanctimonious as the Bradys while at the same is just as dumb and desperate for approval as she's always been so I really have a hard time rooting for her now or sympathizing with her when something bad happens to her.

DramaKing
Member Avatar

I disagree.

And maybe thatgs because i look at soaps from a bitter jaded young point of view. this is why...

Days,a nd all soaps, are NOT going to write for the vets. tahts just a given at this point, IMO. Even opld faves like Bo/Hope & John/Marlena just dont get written for on any soaps anymore. Therefor, i guess is disagree with this on a the best of a horaable situation POV. would i rather see sami brady on my screen 24/7 than some newbie? than belle? than chelsea and stephanie? yes iw ould rather see sami 24/7. as she is a char who has been on the show for what... 15 years now? and Alison Sweeney is by far one of the best actress' on daytime today and has earned her spot on the top of days. She has been the only good thing about this show in 10 years now.

Would i like more balance and to see other faves? in a heartbeat. but i just dont see it happening. I also dont think turning Days into the sami show is what will ruin it - but the writing for the sami show. at times it seems they try hard to show how far she has come and take her to the next leval only to stop and backtrack her the next day. The writing for this is horriable most of the time. I think they need a clear path to take Sami on. Either take her into adulthood and make her the good heroine who still does bad things sometimes or turn her back into evil selfish bitch sami. this "best of both worlds" thing isnt working for me.

This love triangle needs to come to a new direction. Make it clear that by the man Sami Brady choses she also choses the woman she becomes. Does she chose EJ, the bad guy who loves her for her wicked ways... or Lucas. The good boy who pushes her to become a better person? or does she fuck you both and walk away and make her life great on her own (that would be the best option, IMO, but will never happen).

But this goes beyond days. GH is the Jason show. AMC the Kendell show. B&B the Brooke show. Y&R the Phyliss show. ATWT the Carly show. It seems that writers seem to take fan faves with layers to the char and turn the entire show around and center it on them.

I am also sick of the entire networks are to blame for the end of soaps, or actors, or ep's, or anything other than who is to 100% blame - the lazy writers.

I for one hope a writers strike happens and we can somehow get some new fresh blood into daytime.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Mary and PX - I am floored by your posts! And I am so glad that I come to sites like this where I see that I am not the only one who has no clue what is going on right now with my favorite characters. I don't even know Sami anymore. Who is this self rightous bitch?

I have heard so much flack over EJ pretending to inject Sami because he was mad at her for lying to him...and there goes hot head Bo injecting Stefano because he was mad.
Do the Brady's really think they are better?
The characters are irrational, completely stupid and self absorbed...but not in a good way.

This might have alot to do with the writer's not have ANY history with the characters, and therefore are just making it up as we go along. There should be a rule that you can't write for a show unless you pass a test. The fact that Hogie wasn't a DOOL fan or even watched says alot for what we are currently seeing.

Thanks, Mary, for putting into words what I could only think. Probably the best post I have ever read!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Oh, you're too kind. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, Alli. :)

King
Member Avatar

Great column! Very interesting picks.

I kinda like Sami now but not her current storyline.

Hoagie sucks at pacing. Things that should be dragged out are rushes, and this EJAMI/LUMI thing is taking FOREVER.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply