Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ATWT & GL News; Potentially worrying...
Topic Started: Oct 15 2007, 11:00 PM (510 Views)
WTGH
Member Avatar
Bitch!

Quote:

Television Week's James Hibberd broke news earlier tonight that ATWT and GL are instituting major cost-cutting changes to their production in order to stay on the air.  Both shows come up for renewal in July 2008 and are on the bubble.

Among the changes will be a move to digital cameras and pink slips for some camera crew members.  The shows will also institute new enclosed four-wall sets, as well as permanent outdoor sets for exteriors a la Salem Place on DAYS.  These changes will launch in January.  Additionally, GL is said to be considering shooting multiple scenes at the same time to further reduce costs.

You know, CBS Daytime does such a good job of putting on their happy face, that I'm shocked when I see stuff like this from them.  DAYS is panic central and ABC's a joke, but CBS always manages to seem above the fray, even with an increasingly weakened B&B and bottom-of-the-barrel ratings for ATWT and GL.

The piece also includes quotes from CBS Daytime Chief Barbara Bloom who sees the changes as part of an evolutionary process to CBS as a whole.  Evolve into what?

And so the biggest cfliffhanger to hit daytime begins: Can the P&G soaps survive?  Could we be sitting here a year from now with only six soaps on the air?  And with the DAYS situation the way it is, could we enter Spring 2009 with only five?  Looks like we'll be biting our nails for months to come.

Snark's Blog

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Christ, how much lower can the budget for GL even get?!

And a big NO to more hand-held camera shooting! It's bad enough as it is.

I am interested when they say something about permanent outdoor sets like Salem Place. Does it mean a set that's actually outdoors? Because that would be great, actually.

This is very worrisome, though. Why is it only MY soaps that are always the ones that are in trouble?! :angry:

King
Member Avatar

I have little sympathy for the P&G soaps to be blatantly honest. Here is why:

Both are filmed in NY where I went to college. My school has a huge Film/TV program.

I know four people who work/have worked at P&G on the soaps. Three still do. Only one is even slightly talented. He never watched a soap a day in his life before booking the interview with P&G. My one friend (whom I love dearly and who used to give me the Tom Pelphrey scoops last year) is pretty much a flake when it comes to work-wise things. (I love her, but I've worked with her, and she's very flakey.) But she is long gone from there by now. Two of the other kids I know, who are still there, I have heard - with my own ears - trash daytime, but say it's a good place to start out in the industry since it is steady work and "no one wants to work in it" a.k.a. so it's not competitive. (They were hired as interns and moved their way up to jobs on the Production Staff...that's how David Kriezman started.)

Basically, I think the Human Resources people at P&G are morons, and if they too hire morons who think daytime sucks, its shows are doomed. And it sucks two soaps with such history are being fucked over like this, but the idiotic decisions of the people behind the scenes are to blame. GL has been using its Emmy as "proof" they do not suck/there is nothing wrong with the show. This is not at all a surprise to me! But I hope the morons who don't want the jobs in the first place are the first to go.

Mason
Member Avatar

After reading your post, King, it all makes sense now, especially where GL is concerned! I knew that the people in charge of soaps today didn't care, but soaps really are screwed if this trend keeps up (and of course, it will). I wish I could intern at one of those shows. Hell, I'd even intern on a soap I don't even watch. Soaps just need more people that actually care about them behind the scenes.

DramaKing
Member Avatar

you can intern at B&B.

go to the cbs website for the show and somewhere there is a link for it.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

More from the NY Post: http://www.nypost.com/seven/10162007/tv/th...this_is_now.htm

Mason
Member Avatar

JackPeyton
Oct 16 2007, 05:06 AM
you can intern at B&B.

go to the cbs website for the show and somewhere there is a link for it.

LoL, I would, but I live in Texas at the moment.

Mason
Member Avatar

I don't like that they're trying to model GL's look after an MTV reality show...

EW says she wants to give fans a 'real' Springfield. Well, hello, start by not having two-thirds of the town living in a damn hotel!

bellcurve
Unregistered

King
Oct 16 2007, 01:19 AM
I have little sympathy for the P&G soaps to be blatantly honest. Here is why:

Both are filmed in NY where I went to college. My school has a huge Film/TV program.

I know four people who work/have worked at P&G on the soaps. Three still do. Only one is even slightly talented. He never watched a soap a day in his life before booking the interview with P&G. My one friend (whom I love dearly and who used to give me the Tom Pelphrey scoops last year) is pretty much a flake when it comes to work-wise things. (I love her, but I've worked with her, and she's very flakey.) But she is long gone from there by now. Two of the other kids I know, who are still there,  I have heard - with my own ears - trash daytime, but say it's a good place to start out in the industry since it is steady work and "no one wants to work in it" a.k.a. so it's not competitive. (They were hired as interns and moved their way up to jobs on the Production Staff...that's how David Kriezman started.)

Basically, I think the Human Resources people at P&G are morons, and if they too hire morons who think daytime sucks, its shows are doomed. And it sucks two soaps with such history are being fucked over like this, but the idiotic decisions of the people behind the scenes are to blame. GL has been using its Emmy as "proof" they do not suck/there is nothing wrong with the show. This is not at all a surprise to me! But I hope the morons who don't want the jobs in the first place are the first to go.

It makes no sense to me why daytime continues to hire even at their lowest level, interns and staffers, if they are not interested in the genre or have no idea the history and meaning of the shows are to its fans. It's appauling, but not surprising.

The shows are clearly not interested in people who have studied the genre and want to keep soaps the way they are.

P.S. Did you apply Mike?
Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

I knew I could never afford to move to NYC or tolerate living there, so I didn't. :lol: I wouldn't have gotten it anyway. Apparently, you need never to have watched a soap before. Haha.

And my major was creative writing, but not really in film.

bellcurve
Unregistered

That sucks! And its no wonder why PGP and the rest of daytime is in the toilet. They aren't even looking for people who LIKE soap operas! What's the fucking point?

And I'm a creative writing student too.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply