Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC fires Annamarie Kostura; Vice president of daytime programming
Topic Started: Oct 16 2007, 04:41 PM (1,280 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

bellcurve
Oct 16 2007, 06:03 PM
This is what I've been saying for MONTHS! I'm glad someone else isn't seeing this through rose-colored glasses. I think March 2009 is even pushing it.

I could very well see the affiliates, whether or not NBC keeps DAYS, dropping it before the 2008 Olympics. That puts DAYS in a bad situation: if affiliates aren't airing the show, ad rates drop, which means the budget drops too, meaning NBC and Sony/Corday won't be able to absorb the cost of production without major, massive cast cuts all at once.

Raymond, I never quite understood that.

I know that NBC owned affiliates cannot drop the shows, but can the independant stations drop any show at any time?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Firing Hogan isn't going to do a damn thing. If anything, yet another transition will just be even MORE detrimental to DAYS.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

...All this when a writers strike is looming over us. :(

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

They won't have Sunday Night Football too much longer but they also have Law & Order SVU.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Mason AKA Hogan
Oct 16 2007, 07:26 PM
Firing Hogan isn't going to do a damn thing. If anything, yet another transition will just be even MORE detrimental to DAYS.

Exactly and as Y&R pointed out we already have a Writers Strike being such a large threat.

King
Member Avatar

Ridge
Oct 16 2007, 06:42 PM
King
Oct 16 2007, 05:00 PM
I could live with DAYS on Soapnet.

NBC really is run by morons.

Their daytime ratings suck. Its primetime ratings (mostly) suck. It used to be great, but not anymore. Seinfeld is gone. Friends, Will & Grace, Frasier. E.R. will soon be gone.

It's not just DAYS that should be praying for a miracle. It's all of NBC.

IA Mike. I haven't watched anything on NBC but Heroes since Friends came off the air (and DAYS of course). The fall of NBC has been universal across the board from daytime to primetime, at least for this viewer.

I will likely be done with NBC after DAYS is gone. Not even really out of spite or anger. There's just nothing to watch. (Love the Office though!)

daysfan
Member Avatar

King
Oct 16 2007, 07:40 PM
Ridge
Oct 16 2007, 06:42 PM
King
Oct 16 2007, 05:00 PM
I could live with DAYS on Soapnet.

NBC really is run by morons.

Their daytime ratings suck. Its primetime ratings (mostly) suck. It used to be great, but not anymore. Seinfeld is gone. Friends, Will & Grace, Frasier. E.R. will soon be gone.

It's not just DAYS that should be praying for a miracle. It's all of NBC.

IA Mike. I haven't watched anything on NBC but Heroes since Friends came off the air (and DAYS of course). The fall of NBC has been universal across the board from daytime to primetime, at least for this viewer.

I will likely be done with NBC after DAYS is gone. Not even really out of spite or anger. There's just nothing to watch. (Love the Office though!)

Same here. Sometimes I watch some Primetime shows but their interest to me is failing and I was never too interested in the first place.

NBC as a network is in trouble, I feel.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Other then ER, 30 Rock, and Days...I don't watch NBC at all so bye bye NBC if Days goes.

Mason
Member Avatar

The minute DAYS leaves NBC, I leave with it for good, too. DAYS is the last show left on NBC that I watch, and I don't intend to ever watch another show on NBC again.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Here's what I'm concerned about. Everyone wants to hope that another network will pick up Days but they are not exactly in the black either. ABC? They have been offered the show before and turned them down (I heard Corday put too high of a price tag on the show). And where would they put it? CBS? They'd either have to axe or shorten one of the P&G shows to make room for Days. Soapnet? They can't afford the music clearance fees to air Santa Barbara for Christ's sake, nor did they pay to clear a recording of "Amazing Grace" that was used for the "Clink-Boom" segment on GH that they recently re-aired. The legitimate argument is that NBC revived Passions and moved it to DirecTV. But NBC owned Passions and is going to get every penny out of it that they can. They have no vested interest in Days.

But the ratings for the show are also not helping. So we say, fire Hogan and bring on new writers. But the fact that there have already been dozens of plans to save the show and all have been flops (yes, flops. Because if any of them had worked, they would not be in this predicament now) and from a business standpoint, you have to wonder if the suits think the show is even worth it.

If Corday can now legally shop the show, then theoretically NBC can legally yank it with no warning or little warning. I think it could be around the time of the Olympics.

Just my 2 cents.

King
Member Avatar

All good points, OBK.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I think it's all one big conspiracy on NBC's part, and the higher ups at NBC want Days cancelled because of it's high production costs.

Supposedly, Sony was the one who stepped in and pushed for Ed Scott. One would think if a network has a show that's in the crapper they would do everything possible to help it out, but not NBC.

I think the reason the idiots at NBC were so adamant about finding a home for Passions is because they knew they would be cancelling DAYS in 2009 and would need something to fill that hour. Passions signed a 2 year contract with DirecTV ending in 2009 and they already have a built in audience (albeit a small one) and the show does well in their coveted 12-17, 12-24, 18-34 demos.

It would be a win win for NBC because DirecTV members who picked up the show would still watch the show on NBC and those who watch online or have no way to watch would be able to watch again.

Also with the numbers continuing to fall for DAYS, they are now lower than Passions yearly averages in 12-17, 18-24 and 18-34 so NBC will have further reasons to cancel the show.

Even though DAYS took pay cuts, it still costs 1.5 million per week to produce.

PSNS after budget cuts costs 700,000 a week to produce.

By bringing back Passions and cancelling DAYS, NBC saves 30 million dollars per year.

And it's not just wishfull thinking from a Passions fan, because I'm fine where it's at. I'm actually preferring the much smaller cast and longer dialogue. It just sounds like something NBC would do.

bellcurve
Unregistered

OneBadKitty
Oct 16 2007, 05:15 PM
Raymond, if I'm not mistaken (where is Steve when you need him, LOL) September was when NBC could legally say yes we are dropping the show, you need to move it, or no we're not dropping it.

So based on that (and I'm not even sure if it's accurate) NBC could very well dump the show at any time, which is why the Olympic coverage concerns me.

I didn't even think about that...I know Corday said he was able to legally shop the show around in September, but that's probably when the the contract cycle has an "out."

Knowing how successful Olympic Coverage was last time for NBC, there's no way they will be willing to give up that 24-HR coverage for anything, much less DAYS.

Quote:

Raymond, I never quite understood that.

I know that NBC owned affiliates cannot drop the shows, but can the independant stations drop any show at any time?

I don't work for an affiliate Rick(so, don't take me for gospel here), but it was my understanding that any affiliate(regardless of being owned and operated by NBC or being independently owned) could drop or reschedule a network show anyday, anytime.

I think an NBC Affiliate in San Fran(which was O&O) was one of the first to drop AW from its schedule in the late 90's. And even then, aside from that, stations have been notorious for, in primetime, latenight, and even daytime, dropping a show because of its content. NYPD BLUE in the 90's is a prime example of that...it took years for the Southern Affiliates and their station managers to finally come around about that show. POLITICALLY INCORRECT, after the comment Bill Maher made post-9/11, was either dropped altogether in some markets or shifted to late-night.

NBC, because of the fact that it has a syndication arm, can "suggest" for its affiliates to replace DAYS with a syndie show in August/September '08, because of the ad revenue, etc. NBC is making money off of it...affiliates are making more money off of it than DAYS or any other network soap opera because of the local ad revenue it brings in.

If NBC cancels DAYS, it will keep the affiliates happy by giving the time back, but not without offering up a syndicated NBC offering from its own production company. And lest we forget syndie DEAL OR NO DEAL has gotten station clearance from a lot of affiliates across the country.

There's just lots to consider. I've had the feeling since last year that NBC wouldn't stick with DAYS past the Olympics. I'd like to see me be proven wrong, but not by the show still airing and most of the affiliates not picking up the show.
Quote Post Goto Top

bellcurve
Unregistered

Rick
Oct 16 2007, 08:52 PM
It would be a win win for NBC because DirecTV members who picked up the show would still watch the show on NBC and those who watch online or have no way to watch would be able to watch again.

Wow...that would piss off a LOT of people in daytime to NO END if that happened Rick. Even me...and I'm not even really a fan of DAYS anymore.

Do you really think the suits would want to place PASSIONS back on NBC after DAYS's cancellation?

I'd rather see it offered up in first-run syndication for anyone to grab. I am sure CW, MyNet affiliates or even CBS/ABC affiliates that enjoy younger demos and soaps would want to fulfill their PASSIONS.

Quote:

And it's not just wishfull thinking from a Passions fan, because I'm fine where it's at. I'm actually preferring the much smaller cast and longer dialogue. It just sounds like something NBC would do.

If PASSIONS did return to network TV, I assume the business model would stay the same or they'd probably air an extra episode on Friday.

And to be honest...I think I posted this in JER's thread, but for the first time in like, a LONG time, when I watched the scene between Eva Tamargo and Liza Huber, I felt like I was actually watching a soap opera. As much as I poke fun at PASSIONS, maybe the move to DirecTV was the shot-in-the-arm JER needed to rise above the production challenges.

Quote:

Passions signed a 2 year contract with DirecTV ending in 2009 and they already have a built in audience (albeit a small one) and the show does well in their coveted 12-17, 12-24, 18-34 demos.

Reilly prolly had an agreement with NBC stemming back from the development of the show that PASSIONS would have to stay on as long as DAYS did, if not longer. Wouldn't surprise me, but whatever.
Quote Post Goto Top

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

It was my understanding that Passions initially only signed a 100 episode deal with DirecTV?

Sephora
Unregistered

OneBadKitty
Oct 16 2007, 08:31 PM
They won't have Sunday Night Football too much longer but they also have Law & Order SVU.

By the Gods, bite your tongue. Sunday night football is as close to tradition as Monday night by now. No, can't lose Sunday Night Football.
Quote Post Goto Top

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I was just referring to the season ending, Sephora.

Sephora
Unregistered

OneBadKitty
Oct 16 2007, 10:34 PM
I was just referring to the season ending, Sephora.

Okay, thank you. I was a little freaking out there. I love me my football and thought you were saying they weren't going to continue through the end of the season
Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

bellcurve
Oct 16 2007, 10:18 PM
Rick
Oct 16 2007, 08:52 PM

Wow...that would piss off a LOT of people in daytime to NO END if that happened Rick. Even me...and I'm not even really a fan of DAYS anymore.

Do you really think the suits would want to place PASSIONS back on NBC after DAYS's cancellation?

I'd rather see it offered up in first-run syndication for anyone to grab. I am sure CW, MyNet affiliates or even CBS/ABC affiliates that enjoy younger demos and soaps would want to fulfill their PASSIONS.

Quote:

If PASSIONS did return to network TV, I assume the business model would stay the same or they'd probably air an extra episode on Friday.

And to be honest...I think I posted this in JER's thread, but for the first time in like, a LONG time, when I watched the scene between Eva Tamargo and Liza Huber, I felt like I was actually watching a soap opera. As much as I poke fun at PASSIONS, maybe the move to DirecTV was the shot-in-the-arm JER needed to rise above the production challenges.

Quote:

Passions signed a 2 year contract with DirecTV ending in 2009 and they already have a built in audience (albeit a small one) and the show does well in their coveted 12-17, 12-24, 18-34 demos.

Reilly prolly had an agreement with NBC stemming back from the development of the show that PASSIONS would have to stay on as long as DAYS did, if not longer. Wouldn't surprise me, but whatever.

I wouldn't put anything past the hacks at NBC :lol:

King
Member Avatar

I wouldn't either, Rick.

This upsets me to no end!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply