Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Wed Oct 17 (US) - Tues Oct 16 (Can) - GOLD!; Hall knocks it OUT of the park!!
Topic Started: Oct 17 2007, 02:36 AM (2,701 Views)
Ponz
Member Avatar

Say what you like about Drake but he's never given less than 100% emotionally to his character. It was gut-wrenching how realistically he played John's demise. His scenes with Peter, Martha, Dee and even the brief moment with Lauren were so honest and heartfelt. It was like watching the actors say goodbye (which is pretty much what was happening).

I'm still pissed that they didn't end with a J&M fade-out. It was flawlessly executed up until the cut to Sami.

RIP John Black. :(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Ponz, although I thought Ali and Bryan were flawless in that last scene I totally agree with you and others who have mentioned that John and Marlena should have been the last two shown as to symbolize the end of John's life.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

I forgot to mention Stefano's line to Bo, I heard Chelsea is hell on wheels. I was laughing so hard after that one.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kenny
Oct 17 2007, 07:46 AM
KMan101
Oct 17 2007, 08:39 AM
wow, i just read Thursday's prevuze. You'll never even GUESS who arranges the funeral -- Vivian! (and yes Eric and Brady and Carrie are mentioned and Victor shows up at the funeral).

OMG. No shit?

We're actually going to hear Vivian... acknowledged? Amazing! I actually gasped for breath when I read that it was Vivian!

I was wondering who set up the funeral.

tylerbo's going to DIE when he sees that episode. Let's hope he doesn't miss it!
Quote Post Goto Top

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Geez the episode ended for me about 15 minutes ago and i'm still a mess..Great episode today, i really enjoyed the whole thing....It was nice to see Maggie, i might even miss Jeremy about (but i'm glad he's leaving)...The sorority scenes were pretty good, but i think this stephanie/max/morgan stuff should have waited till next week...

The hospital scenes were beautifully done..I teared up when bo said his goodbyes..and i loved that they included Kate and let her say goodbye..Marlena's goodbye at the end was heartbreaking..and you could tell those were real tears from MBE, SN, and KA..

Its just so great to actually feel something with Days for a change, instead of just watching it out of habit...I do hate that we are losing John to get all this raw emotion..But i really blame JER...He is the one who turned death into a joke with Days....Over the past few years there have been so many fake deaths, its just ridiculous..Why tune in for these bombs and shootings when you know the person will be okay the next week????? I think Ed Scott wanted to fix that, and prove that they can and will kill characters off and it will be for real...And John just happened to be the one to prove that point...

Deleted User
Deleted User

King
Oct 17 2007, 03:07 PM
I really thought at the last J/M scene, I can't believe I'm saying this about DAYS, but the lighting was almost TOO DARK, but then I thought it was perfect for those dreary, dark, depressing hospital rooms.

King, that was an effect. I'm thinking Ed purposely, poetically, had kind of a "spotlight" on John and Marlena and darkened out the rest of the room, as a way to give respect to them. And I think the effect worked.
Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Oct 17 2007, 07:42 PM
King
Oct 17 2007, 03:07 PM
I really thought at the last J/M scene, I can't believe I'm saying this about DAYS, but the lighting was almost TOO DARK, but then I thought it was perfect for those dreary, dark, depressing hospital rooms.

King, that was an effect. I'm thinking Ed purposely, poetically, had kind of a "spotlight" on John and Marlena and darkened out the rest of the room, as a way to give respect to them. And I think the effect worked.

I definitely agree, although I was initially taken aback by it. Haha.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I will be glad when this week is over. The acting is great, but it is just so sad. :(

King
Member Avatar

I still say Roman did it. Or "Roman."

I find it weird he wasn't in the hospital room today.

I find it weird he was stopping by Steffy's room.

And I find it weird he entered as soon as Bo said "GIVE ME A NAME!"

Kenny
Member Avatar

I only watched the first half of the episode so far, earlier this afternoon, but I had to leave right in the middle. I'll watch the rest on SoapNet.

That talk between Bo and John was so intense and dynamic. The two town heroes. John telling Bo to "win this damn war" was fantastic, as was the way they were putting their hands on one another.

Didn't expect Kate to show up! As usual, The Koz brought tears to my eyes. Her arrival was a very unexpected and nice touch, IMO.

The last I saw of Sami/Kate was them in the hallway and Kate telling her that the last thing she wants is to watch her marry EJ. I'm curious as to whether or not that statement is genuine or what is said in their next scene...

Kenny
Member Avatar

OMG, watching on SoapNet right now, I just saw the promo advertising the upcoming "Possession" marathon again... I'm so excited!! LoL

It'll be the last time I get to see J&M together again on television.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Was just over at Goldderby listening to the response from people there (trust me we have some SERIOUS DAYS skeptics over there, a good portion of these posters think they are the end all be all of deciding WHAT in daytime is truly emmy worthy :bs: ). Anyways here is what a poster named MARKPGH (the name really says it all IMO) about today's episode:

---
OK....watched John's deathbed scene today.

For DAYS, this was a great episode. Hall, Madison and Sweeney were great.

But as a whole, the eppy lacked Emmy gold.

Yes, the "teen scene" was a waste of valuable airtime. The hospital set was so dark and dreary lookin....they could have used more lighting...more monitors. And the dialogue was juvenile, IMO.

Hope telling John..."You need to get better so you can help us find the perp."....Who in the hell wrote this garbage??

But, for DAYS, this was a good outing.

And let's face it, when you compare this deathbed scene to Cassie's on Y&R, well.....there really is no comparison. THAT deathbed scene set the "gold standard" in daytime.

As for Hall...she was great, but i wouldn't count her in the Emmy race yet. I have a feeling her best work is to follow.

----

I love how he says "But for DAYS, this was a good outing", ugh puhleeze the snobbery in that line alone is vomit inducing!

There are some people there who TRULY cannot get over their DAYS snobbery.

Many posters over there do feel that the show is doing a good job though and that this material is emmy worthy.

I think I may finally sign up over there and let them have a piece of my mind!

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Quote:

I think I may finally sign up over there and let them have a piece of my mind!

Please do. I get tired of those know-it-all's.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I keep watching the death scene on YouTube.

The more I see it, the more I love the lighting. Everything is pitch black, except for John and Marlena, who are dimly lit -- almost like a spotlight, only not as black. The focus was on them, and everything else disappeared (literally). It was visually beautiful.

The shot of John lying on the bed, with half of his face lit and the other half draped in shadows as Marlena hovers above him is GORGEOUS.

King
Member Avatar

Well, I don't ever really count on DAYS getting any Emmy nods, but it has nothing to do with the talent.

Besides after Maurice Bernard won an Emmy, I'm pretty sure NOT winning an Emmy is what people should strive for.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kenny
Oct 18 2007, 12:57 AM
I keep watching the death scene on YouTube.

The more I see it, the more I love the lighting. Everything is pitch black, except for John and Marlena, who are dimly lit -- almost like a spotlight, only not as black. The focus was on them, and everything else disappeared (literally). It was visually beautiful.

The shot of John lying on the bed, with half of his face lit and the other half draped in shadows as Marlena hovers above him is GORGEOUS.

Oh, Kenny! I'm so happy for you! After all the posts I've seen where you've commented on how great and dramatic "Days" lighting used to be, now you get to see that THAT wasn't the last of it! It's like you've come full-circle, boy! And it's so exciting to see! In truth, I never thought the production values would become so DAMN GOOD again, but Ed is just a miracle-worker.

Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

King
Oct 18 2007, 01:02 AM
Well, I don't ever really count on DAYS getting any Emmy nods, but it has nothing to do with the talent.

Besides after Maurice Bernard won an Emmy, I'm pretty sure NOT winning an Emmy is what people should strive for.

Wouldn't it be funny if Corday told the whole cast that very thing, and, whenever the cast members are around Maurice they're acting all nice to him -- ALL THE WHILE NOT REALIZING HE'S THE BUTT OF THEIR BIGGEST JOKE! :lol: I just love thinking about things like that.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

My God...there are simply no words to describe Wednesday's episode (I watch on iTunes, so I'm always a day behind). I cried. And cried. And cried. Hell, I'm still teary right now. If there were any justice in this world, DAYS would get the Emmy recognition that it richly deserves for this. It's even better than Zack's death, IMO. Although, I am FURIOUS that Sami and Lucas got the closing shot, when JOHN BLACK has just DIED. WTF were they thinking?! :angry:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I know I am late to the party, which is weird for me considering I love this show, but I had some stuff going on.

Anyway, this episode was AMAZING!!

I loved seeing Maggie again and I think her scenes with Jeremy and Nick was a nice choice to balance things out with John's death. Suzanne looked great and I am shocked by how far along Trevor Donovon has come. I am glad he is gone though. I did enjoy his relationship with the kids and his friendship with Nick. His last scene where he went to go check on Stephanie was actually kind of sad.

Stephanie/Morgan was fun. I could enjoy a rivalry between these two. I like both actresses and I am glad Days finally introduced a good young female character that has no relations to anyone. They needed that IMO. Nice seeing Billie too. Jett needs to get lost. I want diversity but what a waste. I am intrigued by this rape story though. I see major potential here and if it gives Billie a story, I'm down for it.

Now, onto the big stuff, loved seeing all the supercouples in one room. The little things like Bo and John's arms around each other, Kayla trying to make John comfortable, Steve comforting Marlena...they just make such a difference. Peter Reckell does not get enough credit. He was brilliant in his scenes with John and while alone. I am glad they brought up the night of the shooting. Bo's guilt was heart wrenching. Enjoyed his scenes with Stefano too but something is so up with Roman. He was in the hospital and all of a sudden he shows up while Bo is questioning Stefano and he came off like a protector of Stefano's. It was odd as hell.

KA broke my heart. You can tell she took Drake's leaving hard. I know the show should've ended on J&M but BD and AS rocked that last scene. It was just poorly placed. I also was so happy Kate said goodbye to John. His saying she could never fail him and then Marlena joking it took Kate to wake him up with John saying she is the one that keeps him up was so funny yet fit in with the mood.

That final scene was one of the best goodbyes ever. Seeing everyone crying as Marlena said goodbye. The lighting, writing...everything. Deidre Hall was superb and I would hand her the emmy right now. It was hysterics or over the top. It was real and raw and the performance of the year IMO. I was in tears watching this and I have seen so many Days deaths. This reminded me so much of Steve's but this one had so much more punch for me. When he flatlined, I lost it. I have been hard on Drake but he gave it his all at the end. Him and Dee were great. Everyone was.

Just superb. I have no more words to explain it. Lovely work.

Mason
Member Avatar

I forgot to say this, but I too totally love Morgan! She's a breath of fresh air, and she has good chemistry with Max.

I just had a thought about the campus rapist story. We've all been speculating that either Stephanie or Chelsea might get attacked, but what if Billie ends up being raped? I know it's a long shot since the writers seem determined to keep JP in backburnerville, but it's just a thought. I think I'm just desperate to see JP get a story, LoL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply