Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Thursday Oct. 17th - Give DAYS the emmy!; Best funeral in soap history! Bar NONE!
Topic Started: Oct 17 2007, 06:29 PM (2,901 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Ok guys, GET READY!

This is HANDS DOWN the best episode of DAYS I think I have ever seen.

The emotional level of this episode is just something I have not witnessed on DAYS before, at least not at THIS level.

It was THE BEST funeral ever produced in the 70 odd years of daytime drama (and I am NOT overstating that...it was everything a soap funeral should be and MORE).

The entire focus of the episode is on the funeral and John & Marlena.

The opening clip set the stage man (Marlena's return on the pier to John) fade to Marlena at the pier seeminly waiting for John (it was HEARTBREAKING).

The ENTIRE cast is present in this episode except for Blake Berris and Frances Reid.

Victor, Caroline, Hope, Roman, Abe, Anna, Sami and Belle all have eulogies at the funeral and some of them are versed over flashbacks of John and the said characters (beautiful idea). The eulogies were BEAUTIFULLY written and beautifully acted.

Deidre Hall ONCE AGAIN was simply OUTSTANDING as was Martha Madison.

Leann Hunley and Peggy McCay gave great performances but the MVP's of the supporting cast were James Reynolds and Kristian Alfonso who just shattered my heart. They both were AMAZING!

Alison Sweeney was also very good in this episode during Sami's eulogy!

There is an entire scene dedicated to Vivian and her connection to John and her donation to his funeral (that was truly a great move by DAYS) and Brady, Carrie (in Anna's Eulogy) and Eric all are mentioned tastefully.

This episode had it all and was NEARLY flawless. If DAYS is nominated for an emmy and submits this episode THEY WILL WIN!

Marlena's speech to John at the end is the reason Deidre Hall is going to win that FREAKING emmy this year.

The ending is CLASSIC with Stefano coming in and the staredown between Marlena and Stefano is SIMPLY C.L.A.S.S.I.C!

The previews look intense....Hall really looks like she is brining it when Marlena takes on Steffie.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Goes to get some paper towels as I just jizzed all over myself.....

I am so READY for some Marlena vs Stefano, bring it on DAYS.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Kirk
Oct 17 2007, 06:35 PM
Goes to get some paper towels as I just jizzed all over myself.....

I am so READY for some Marlena vs Stefano, bring it on DAYS.

The fire in Deidre Hall in the previews when she tells Stefano to "GET OUT!" is something I have not seen in her since the 90's.

Hall's days of phoning it in appear to be over with what she has done with this material.

Also....I FREAKING LOVED how they did Marlena's hair....up in the ponytail...i just loved it.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Well I just saw clips of this show (all of the funeral and a little of the Tony-Stefano stuff) and as I look at the pile of Kleenexes it took me to get through watching this, I just don't know exactly what all to say.

I hope Days gets some sort of critical recognition or ratings boost out of this, because that's the only way I know how to make the pain of this all matter.

Damn if I know what the show could do to fill my heart with joy equivalent to the depth of sorrow I feel for the character of John Black's passing and the impact that has on all of the people of Salem who turned out to mourn him in this episode.

jcar03
Member Avatar

IMissAremid - I LOVE your banner.

My cable better be crystal clear tomorrow or I'm gonna lose it.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Even when the ratings come out tomorrow, there is no way I can get down because of how great DAYS is right now.

jcar03
Member Avatar

errr, ratings. I'm not gonna hold my breath for any sort of increase.

Hypnotoad

I watched tomorrow's episode and I agree, this episode was fantastic.

The show was so true to history and was so loyal and respectful the character of John Black that I just sat in awe as the episode unfolded.

There was so much in this episode that no recap will ever grab it all.

DO NOT MISS THE FIRST 2 MINUTES. Seriously, this might just be the best 2 minutes of the history of DAYS. It starts off back in 1991 or whenever Marlena returned. It is here on the pier with Roman(John, played by Drake) and their famous peir reunion. The music is beautiful. Unbelievable, really. I'm not sure I've ever heard this score on DAYS before. The scene makes this amazingly sad and nearly devestating transition to Marlena in the current day in the same spot on the same set. She's alone and wanting nothing more for John to reach out to her again.

We learn that Marlena did not go home last night. She went to find answers and that lead her to the peir. Roman comes around the corner and Marlena is heartbroken. It sinks in, John's gone. Roman tells her that Maggie and he were out looking for her all night and that the whole family is worried about her. They are at the pub preparing for the wake. This scene should be posted on youtube and watched 5 million times.

At the pub, the entire family is there, including Abe, Lexie and Celeste. Stephanie and Abe have a very interesting interaction. Steve and Kayla meanwhile go over the course of events the brought them to this. Doug and Julie are there and they all discuss how strong Caroline is acting but how worried they are about Shawn. Lucas goes outside for some air and is stunned to see EJ show up. They get into a fight and Doug, Abe and Steve call come out to back Lucas up. EJ says he was there to pay his respects and they tell him to get lost. The combo of Doug, Steve, Abe and Lucas all fighting and swearing at EJ is unreal to watch.

Chelsea explains to Jett that Nick is watching all the kids and that he didn't know John that well anyway. Belle, Sami and Shawn explain where Eric and Brady are - not here.

At the church, Hope and Bo are shocked to see the amazing funeral set up. They learn from the priest that Vivian set it up. She won't be coming to the funeral because she's "not welcome back in Salem."

Meanwhile, Tony shows up at Stephano's room with a bottle of champaign and offers to give it to Stpehano since he was originally going to drink with J/M. Stephano doesn't think it is funny. Anna shows up and takes Tony away to the funeral. Before she leaves she tells Stephano she can't believe she ever felt sorry for him and says he will get what he deserves. Foreshadowing?

At the funeral, a procession of amazing words are spoken about John. There is no way to pick the best moment but I think it goes to Sami's eugoly about her relationship with John. Caroline, Roman, Victor and Abe all have flashbacks about John (with no words) and everyone speaks directly to the coffin. Victor's return is especially brilliant and done in a very dramatic fashion. Roman later explains their unique history in a way that makes Roman both complex and the hero he once was.

As Marlena takes the podium she can't think of enough things to say about her true love. Just then, Stephano arrives and the show fades out.

This show deserves a 100 out of 10. There is no surpassing this episode. I've never seen anything like it.

Outstanding supporting performances by people like Shawn Sr. There is a great scene after Victor interupts the funeral where Shawn Sr. stands up and shakes Victor's hand. Caroline nearly loses it. Bo is in shock. I was blown away!!!

Characters like Billie, Phillip and Stephanie hardly say anything in this episode (Phil and Billie don't) but they are there and they perform perfectly. No joke, they did exactly what an actor is supposed to do in a situation like this and they nailed it.

But the three stars go to the dialogue writer, director and Dee Hall.

Especially the director who took so many amazing scenes and put them together perfectly. All the right people and the reactions are shown during everyone's speech. There is one scene that looks like cinema. Near the middle, the camera pans across the front row, by Lucas, Sami, Marlena, Belle and then Shawn-D. It holds on them in that row. It is like a portrait of sadness as Marlena is flanked by her daughters and their loved-ones. Marlena is so alone.

There are over a hundred illusions to past stories, past relationships, old rivalries and buried feelings. In the end, John is perfectly respected by all that happens in this episode.

Oh ya, and Bo and Hope have a great exchange about Vivian where Hope says "Vivian Alimain. That's a name I haven't heard in a while. I almost forgot all about her". Bo says something like, "well I guess she could never forget someone like John." Such respect is paid to history in this dialogue and to John/Drake.

Amazing

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Sami, Marlena and Belle were the stars of the episode, IMO. They didn't even need to speak, simply their body language and emotion was phenomenal. I was amazed by Martha's ability to cry on cue.

Mason

I cannot wait to see this!!!

Kenny
Member Avatar

I'm all moist in the pants just READING this!

It's going to be beyond heartbreaking. This episode sounds insane!

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

You can watch it here. It is in different parts.

http://www.ohlookabird.com/dool/Canada/DOOLoct17CDN/

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

I get chills from reading your post uncle jonny. It sounds amazing.

Hypnotoad

Edited by Hypnotoad, Apr 10 2010, 04:03 PM.

King
Member Avatar

Uncle Jonny
Oct 17 2007, 09:51 PM
I'm not kidding, the first scene is by far the most important scene in the history of Days of our Lives. You will be floored. Unreal.

(btw, I'm CSW from SON and used to be named Flourescent Adolescent here.)

Oh, it's...YOU.

:lol:

:wave:

Keith
Member Avatar

Yay CLIPS!

King
Member Avatar

Angie79
Oct 17 2007, 09:37 PM
You can watch it here. It is in different parts.

http://www.ohlookabird.com/dool/Canada/DOOLoct17CDN/

OMFG!!!

Thank you SO MUCH!

Shallow Alert: Alison Sweeney looks awful tomorrow. LOL.

Mason

I love Ali to death, but IMO, she's not gonna stop looking awful until she darkens her hair up. The white platinum blonde does NOT suit her at all.

King
Member Avatar

She's also parting her hair really weird tomorrow?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ugh, damn! None of those clips work for me!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply