Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Thursday Oct. 17th - Give DAYS the emmy!; Best funeral in soap history! Bar NONE!
Topic Started: Oct 17 2007, 06:29 PM (2,959 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Today was SUPERB. For me, this was the best episode of any soap opera this year and was Days' best episode in over a decade, if not longer. This was one of the best soap funerals ever, if not the best.

I always appreciate the little things and was so happy of the mentions of Vivian (fitting her paying for the funeral and the line about her feeling not welcome in Salem was very poignant considering how Louise Sorel left the show very displeased), Eric, Carrie (via Anna), and Brady (nicely done with him trying to make it and failing). Having Victor show up was a nice touch, as was seeing little moments like Philip comforting Belle but also reaching out and touching Shawn's shoulder, Bo and Caroline's reactions to Victor and Shawn Sr shaking hands, etc. The decision to open with the pier scene, one of the best moments ever, was excellent. Nice way to show fans that this was a special episode. Loved the Pub scenes and everyone sitting around and talking about John. Sami's line to EJ about the day not being about them was like a shoutout to fans upset over the show pushing their story. I did enjoy Lucas punching EJ and the EJ/Kate scenes at the end were powerful. Not sure if EJ was lying about not shooting John. That was weird. Tony/Stefano was good too and I loved Anna telling Stefano he is getting what he deserves. I also felt Celeste's line could've been a clue or something with "his soul being restless." It just stuck out to me, like some lines during the SSK story.

Add me to the list of people thinking it's Roman. I already pointed out some of the hints we saw in yesterday's episode but his smugness today and the way his mannerisms were hinted to me he could be involved. I also noticed JT looks kind of bad. He was pale and it looked like he was talking funny. I don't know if it was an acting choice or something but something is way off about Roman. His eulogy reeked of smugness.

The eulogies were fantastic and seeing the flashbacks fit in with voiceovers was a wonderful directing choice. Katherine Foster is such a fine addition. Peggy McKay, John Aniston, and Leann Hunley were great and the others played their supporting roles well. Martha Madison, Alison Sweeney, and Kristian Alfonso were utterly amazing. Kristian seemed like she was displaying her real life pain over losing a co-star and she just hit me hard. When Bo ran up to get her, I fell apart. Ali Sweeney has not been on everyone else's level this week but today she hit it out of the park with her speech. I knew hers would hit me because of her relationship with John and it did. Of course, then there is Dee who was amazing!! The way she struggled to pull herself together at the beginning and then became a pillar of strength when she got to the funeral was in character and fantastically played. Dee Hall has proven all the naysayers wrong this week and what an ending with Stefano. Good cliffhanger.

I have never cried this much watching anything. It's always hard to make me but this week has been a tour de force of moments and today was a masterpiece from start to finish. Seeing pretty much everyone together and the whole episode being a tribute to one of the show's most beloved characters was enough to make me watch but the way it was handled made this a keeper and would be an emmy winning episode for any other show. Sadly, not for this one but I hope Days is rewarded in the ratings because this is drama at it's finest.

Can't wait for what should be a great way to end the week tomorrow.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

The show was so sad today. Kristian and Martha both had me crying. I tried to hold it in, but I couldn't! It was nice to see Victor again!

I am thinking that it might have been Roman that hit him too.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

You can read all of the eulogies here:

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/dayso...etail_2937.html
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kevc1980
Oct 18 2007, 03:09 PM
Just saw the opening scene..and loved that they opened with the pier scene..That was amazing back when it first aired and it was so nice seeing it again..what a nice way to honor john and marlena's love..Too bad i have to head to work...Really want to watch the rest of the show now..

And I missed that scene -- which set the ENTIRE mood of the show.

GODDAMN ONE-MINUTE WEATHER ALERT.

FUCK YOU, NBC AFFILIATE.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kenny
Oct 18 2007, 05:13 PM
Hmm, during an interview today in Australia, Deidre Hall was asked about whether or not Marlena would be seeking revenge for John's death.

Her reply was, "We're not going to talk about that, but everything is fine."

Was Deidre instructed not to talk about John's death? And 'everything is fine?' Maybe John's still alive?! LoL

Damn, I don't like Dee's tone there! She could have said, "I can't comment on that" or something similar, but instead she took the control-freak answer.

Dee, Dee!!

No, no!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Again, can I say how pissed I am about my NBC affiliate? The show was great, don't get me wrong, but a LOT of the emotional punch was MURDERED (much like John!) because, for the ENTIRE show, those ASSHOLES had a weather ticker scrolling on the bottom of the screen.

Don't worry, I've ALREADY prayed to Satan so bad things could happen to the affiliate fuckup who made THAT decision. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Nixsoaps
Oct 18 2007, 07:21 PM
King
Oct 18 2007, 07:12 PM
I also wonder what Celeste saying "His soul is not at rest" means. Clue? Or just that his killer is still at large?

I took it as either the killer still being out there or the DiBrady not being over.

Hell, it could mean that he still needs to figure out who the third assassin is. <_<

Maybe he's pissed he never brought the killer of Eve Michaels (who?) to justice. :lol:

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Being a Days fan has been a difficult ride over the past 10 years...We've had ups (b&C/the serial killer story) and lows (langan/higley/JER round 2 for the most part/and Hogan the first half of this year)...I'm usually one that tries to stay optimistic about the show, but its been hard remaining a fan when the show has gone through disappointing periods..

Well as of this week, and with Ed Scott on board i'm so proud to be a Days fan..And so glad that i stuck out these past few years..Its almost like i've been rewarded an amazing gift for my hardships as a fan...Todays show was beyond amazing....Losing John has been hard on me this past week, as this character has been apart of my life for 20 years..But i really felt Days paid a fitting homage to the character today..The acting, directing, and dialog was fantastic..I loved all of the eulogies, and the way the flashbacks were added in was great..

Victor showing up was a wonderful surprise..and his speech was incredible...Caroline's speech was beautiful, and the flashback to 86 a great touch..Everyone looked so young..

I really teared up today during Hope and Sami's eulogies...And having Anna speak about John raising Carrie, was a great tribute to John's history as a father..

Thank you so much to Hogan, Ed Scott, Kathryn Foster, and the cast for a magnificent episode..Everyone went above and beyond..I'm so proud that Days will no longer be considered the black sheep of Daytime..Now its what the other soaps should strive for..

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Oct 19 2007, 02:13 AM
Nixsoaps
Oct 18 2007, 07:21 PM
King
Oct 18 2007, 07:12 PM
I also wonder what Celeste saying "His soul is not at rest" means. Clue? Or just that his killer is still at large?

I took it as either the killer still being out there or the DiBrady not being over.

Hell, it could mean that he still needs to figure out who the third assassin is.

Maybe he's pissed he never brought the killer of Eve Michaels (who?) to justice. :lol:

:lol:

King
Member Avatar

Is Eve the cop who E.J. killed?

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

King
Oct 19 2007, 12:05 PM

Yes she is the cop that was killed.

But do we know it was EJ? Hhmm, inquiring minds want to know because obviously that s/l has been dropped.

King
Member Avatar

Haha. Or maybe it was Fatty Patty, and that's part of why he went to the slammer! I liked Eve.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Nixsoaps
Oct 19 2007, 12:34 PM
King
Oct 19 2007, 12:05 PM

Yes she is the cop that was killed.

But do we know it was EJ? Hhmm, inquiring minds want to know because obviously that s/l has been dropped.

I'm pretty sure E.J. was shown with Sami at the time that Eve was killed so I don't think he physically killed her. Whether he put the hit on her, who knows, it's not like this show is ever going to bring her up again. If they had resolved the storyline I always thought that was going to wind up being Tek who was the one who killed her.

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Yes, he was with Sami at the time IMISS. I always thought it was Tek too. But like so many other mysteries, we will never know the truth.

Mason
Member Avatar

30 minutes after watching this episode, and I am STILL in utter shock and awe. Simply BEAUTIFUL. Aside from having KATE, Brady, Carrie, Eric and Vivian actually present, I couldn't have asked for anything more for John's funeral. It was the best soap funeral I've ever seen, and hands down the BEST episode of DAYS I've ever seen. If this episode (or hell, this whole week) doesn't prove that DAYS really is the best in daytime right now, then I don't know what will.

The acting was top notch. There wasn't a weak link in the cast (okay well except for Marcus Patrick and Chris Gerse, but at least the latter didn't have any lines). Martha continues to break my heart with everything she does, definitely the MVP of the week. Deidre has also been extraordinary. The opening scene was just BRILLIANT, and very haunting. Kristian Alfonso gave one of the best performances of her career as she broke down in her speech. You can really tell Drake's exit is hitting her hard. James Reynolds was perfect as he said goodbye to his good friend and partner. These past few episodes really have shown how many people's lives John has touched in the last 20 years.

Right now, if quality was equivalent with ratings and awards, DAYS would have no problems.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Oct 19 2007, 01:31 AM
Damn, I don't like Dee's tone there! She could have said, "I can't comment on that" or something similar, but instead she took the control-freak answer.

Dee, Dee!!

No, no!

She actually said: "You know what, you're way ahead of us, as the audience here... And, we're not going to discuss, except to say; everything is wonderful, just stay with us."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MW35ULLvReU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yDCpUzXU_7s

Her boss, Corday, was a few feet away from her.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I hate being a day behind (I tape the late-night on SoapNet)!

Another beautiful episode. I guess the strong point of this writer is sorrow, because...damn.

Attention to detail (even the people who were basically extras were in the moment in character!), focus on family and connections between characters we know, genuine emotion- it was all there. I can't agree that this is the best episode of Days I've seen, but it's the best sad episode I've seen.

Favorite Moments:

When they respected the intelligence of the viewer and had Victor come in without someone whispering the history between him and John. And the look on Belle's face when he was talking- the anger & the grief all at once.

Once again, the shift in Deidre Hall's face in a single moment to that glare at the end. I finally get her.

Hope breaking down. Alfonso was amazing when Zach died, but holy crap was she beyond that today.

And I fucking love Anna. Her remark to Stefano, her speech- which could've come off as random and as her eating airtime but totally didn't. I need her on more. She even makes me like Penghlis.

Now that I know they can do this if they want to, I'm going to expect it from them more often.

Keith
Member Avatar

You know what I think my favorite part was?

Vivian's acknowledgment and how Bo and Hope actually had to question who set up the arrangement in the church. It's the simple things like that... just made me sit back in awe. Yes, both John and Marlena were well-off, but John was well-off due to his portion of the Alamain fortune, historically, so I thought it was very appropriate.

And all the damn eulogies. How many people have that many people speak on their behalf at a funeral?

I loved how the Roman history was referenced, even though it was Josh and his deliver wasn't stellar. I wish they could have given us a glimpse of Real Roman's return, even if they didn't actually show Wayne. They could have used angles that featured John, or Marlena. But we can;t have everything. Anna talking about Carrie... what a tribute to John's time as Roman. And Sami, too, finally giving John the respect he deserved from her childhood years.

Victor's entrance is the stuff movies are made of. Seriously. John A.'s presence has been seriously missed, and Victor was in rare form. I love how he didn't even have to mention Isabella. It's a bit of history that's been used so recently. Talking about the situation with Claire almost made me laugh, because so many said has John been awake, none of it ever would have happened. Well, someone's reading the damn boards! LoL. I love, love, loved how it appears that John's death has brought some kind of understanding between Shawn and Victor. Such great character growth with one simple gesture. I want to see Victor get involved in this vendetta and go toe to toe with Stefano! Sigh. Boy's can dream.

Stefano's entrance was right on cue. Marlena's shift was perfect. With all the show's imperfections right now, this SL is worthy of praise. Let's see how long it lasts.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Naughty Eskimo
Oct 19 2007, 04:10 PM
JERSoapsFan
Oct 19 2007, 01:31 AM

Dee, Dee!!

No, no!

She actually said: "You know what, you're way ahead of us, as the audience here... And, we're not going to discuss, except to say; everything is wonderful, just stay with us."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MW35ULLvReU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yDCpUzXU_7s

Her boss, Corday, was a few feet away from her.

Thanks. I watched the clips today and realize after having made that post that she was not out of line. The original quotation made it seem astounding, but the clip proved otherwise.
Quote Post Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

JSF, trust me, Deidre is 100% professional, and she's actually a genuinely kick ass person. She's genuinely sweet. She's sarcastic and funny, but she's genuinely sweet.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply