Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Friday
Topic Started: Oct 19 2007, 12:28 AM (1,840 Views)
King
Member Avatar

Dee really lets go in Friday's episode.

No more gasping or silent tears! She sobs!

And the Penthouse Bedroom is very different. It looks good.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Some of the flashbacks tomorrow are insane. I've never seen some of this stuff. I got the chills during Stefano's memory. Wow.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King are you seeing clips?

All I have seen is the montage for J&M. You got me excited now LOL

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Oh Deidre Hall. Why must you persist on breaking my heart into a million pieces day after day by making Marlena's grief so real, so palpable and so visceral? Mind you, I am perfectly OK with handing over my heart for you to break it whenever you want to bring Emmy-caliber performances like this, but I do think if you keep this up I will have to start buying Kleenex in bulk. Just so you know.

Seriously, I can't be the only one who watched Marlena rocking in that chair in her grief and just wanted to reach out and hug her. I just can't.

Also, again REALLY impressed with what Martha brought to this and the way that Belle was trying so hard to be strong for her mom. These two are just so natural and beautiful together as mother and daughter. Too bad CryingJagSami had to show up at the end and cut off whatever beautiful thing Marlena was about to tell Belle in her profound grief as Sami was definitely not a welcome sight in that scene, although the three of them in bed together at the end was kind of cute.

BTW, I remember when the spoilers about this scene came out Kenny posed a question of whether viewers would be watching her room to see what it was like more than paying attention to Marlena's grief. While because of that post I thought about it for a second as she opened the door to her room, it didn't take Dee very long AT ALL to upstage that set, as beautiful and lush as I thought it was and as much as I loved that glorious headboard and gold sheets (were those THE Jarlena sheets?). All the details with the book open setting Marlena off and her sniffing his jacket and reaching out for John in the bed and talking about her experience counseling grief as a psychiatrist and the specificity of her sadness of never hearing John call her Doc again... oh it was just top notch all around.

I also liked Tony and Lexie reconnecting, I liked Stefano doing some reminiscing although as cool as it was seeing Marlena tell him to get out, it was kind of odd how just like yesterday when EJ was told to GET OUT of the pub the next scene had him inside the pub alone, just like when Stefano was told to GET OUT of the church the next scene had him inside the church alone. Not that I don't doubt that the DiMeras are a persistent lot but that is a continuity break for me.

I do have to blow the whistle however on quite possibly the most ridiculous moment in Salem PD history that takes place during this episode. I get that DOOL is having issues with not having the money to have multiple sets going at the same time, but I find the idea of Bo, Roman and Abe sitting in the Brady Pub for John's wake as they down beers and wear latex gloves while processing the broken taillight to be about the most ridiculous thing I can ever remember the Salem PD doing. I know that Salem lacks a courtroom set so really it wouldn't make a difference that any evidence processed in such a manner would never ever ever be inadmissible in the court of law, but this is just getting out of control. It was ridiculous enough they let Bo be the officer to question his dad when OMB was found with a dead Andre DiMera but now this...? Ugh. Everything else was so great, couldn't they have just let the police work go a day and have them all really just mourn John and not make me groan seeing them swill sips of booze between picking at pieces of evidence?

I'll probably say more tomorrow when I see the whole show, but for now that's all I've got to say other than I really was happy to see all the flashbacks we got. One thing I thought was kind of odd though was during one of the Jarlena flashbacks where they were whitewater rafting I distinctly heard them playing the Santeen theme, not the flute one they used for Santo and Colleen and also EJ and Sami last week, but a piano version of it. Probably means nothing, but just... interesting.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Toups just mentioned over at SON that Thursday's show ran too long so rather then cutting awesome material, Ed Scott kept it all and is showing it tomorrow. So Friday's episode has the last couple of acts from Thursday's original episode and the first couple of acts from Friday's original episode it seems. That is why the next 3 episodes don't fit with the original daily spoilers . Midway through tomorrow's episode it's a new day a new day.

Thank God for Ed. Corday or Wyman would have chucked the extra stuff but Ed kept it. Keep Corday locked up :lol: .

Does anyone know where I can find clips for Friday's episode? I am dying for a preview :lol:

King
Member Avatar

Yeah, PR, I saw some clips from that site Angie posted in the Thursday show thread! I'm also making a super sad montage! Tear!

A new day starts towards the end of Friday's. It's neat!

Kenny
Member Avatar

During the J&M montage today, I love how it starts out with hearing the rain falling and hitting the windows outside, then we fade to the montage and the music takes over, then as we fade back to Marlena, the sound of the pouring rain comes back and it fades away with no music... just the sound of rain hitting the windows.

It's so effective! This is a perfect, stellar example of "less is more." Sometimes you just don't NEED music playing over the scene in order for the viewer to realize that it's sad and for that emotion to be evoked.

OH! And I just watched a clip of the Dee/Drake/Thaao interview in Australia, and when asked about Marlena seeking revenge for John's death, Dee says, "everything is fine, just stay with us."

What does that mean?!

On one hand, I want John to be alive. But on the other hand, how can people ever take death seriously on this show when it's never a permanent thing?! Days should really figure out how to generate story without every situation being that of life-and-death. There are many other creative avenues to explore.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Kenny
Oct 19 2007, 08:11 AM
But on the other hand, how can people ever take death seriously on this show when it's never a permanent thing?! Days should really figure out how to generate story without every situation being that of life-and-death. There are many other creative avenues to explore.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Exactly, Kenny.

That is why, in a way, I hope John is really dead. Days really went all out for it so this could be much worse then the SSK story in that this one had the proper goodbyes, funerals, and tributes.

I guess the only way I can accept him being alive is if it's some sort of ISA sting because that would make sense I guess but then I don't see John putting Marlena and everyone through this. We'll see.

I totally agree about the montage. I watched some clips of the rest of Friday and this is Dee Hall's emmy reel. She plays anger in the beginning and despair when she finally breaks down. She showed so much in this episode.

King
Member Avatar

John is so alive.

I've been trying to think about this rationally and trying to take the most non-soap viewer-y approach to this.

Why would I soap - that is KNOWN for its agonizing pace - hit, say goodbye, kill, and bury a 25 year vet in four episodes? It's weird. It doesn't make ANY sense.

DAYS has been known for killing people off and bringing them back for years so they really have to up the ante now when they want people to "die." That's why with the SSK, they had people's "ghosts" appear and they gave Jack's organs away. They need to really drive home the fact that these people are dead and iron out any possible doubt that they could be be alive. I think John is alive, and I think they killed Bart, Benjy, and Andre for this whole purpose so they could say - See? People do stay dead in Salem. But John isn't one of them.

If we knew right now and this whole week that Drake wasn't really going anywhere, I don't think I would have cried. I don't think a lot of people would because you know he'll be back. It's the not knowing if we'll ever see Drake again that really kills you while watching these episodes this week.

I think also this is Ed Scott's way of getting people to tune in and see that the show is different now and will be a real soap now, and he had to take drastic action to get people to watch and see that the show is a real soap again. IMO, he is hoping people get hooked this week, stay with it, and bring John back in early '08. (I hope.)

This can also budgetary because even thought it is a dick thing to do, it's also a great strategy to get Drake to take a paycut and re-sign. I know people say he would have taken one anyway, but who knows. Maybe the show wanted to drive it home to be sure.

I was thinking while trying to be as detached from all of the inside crap we know, and I came up with - John Black is not dead. LOL. I hope it's true!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

As sad as I am over Drake's firing/John's death I hope he STAYS DEAD. Because I really don't know if I can handle having cried BUCKETS over his death like a moron thinking he was really dead only to find out he's still alive. That will feel like the ultimate betrayal to me. I mean yeah in that moment I would be like oh I'm so happy John and Marlena are reunited. Then the next episode I would be like... now what? And so would the writers. And John and Marlena would just go back on the backburner.

eta:

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=101810

Just saw this. Damn.

If Drake comes back I will never believe a death on this show ever. Even if Deidre Hall died in real life I wouldn't believe that Marlena was really dead.

Although the idea of Ken Corday coming back to LA afraid for his life because everyone is so pissed at him for the fuckup of trying to get rid of Drake is kind of amusing. LOL.

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

After watching Marlena break down in her bedroom and I didn't cry, I thought for sure that I was going to make it through today with no tears. Then they had to show the flashback of John at the pub and Sami hugging him. As much as Sami grates my nerves now, I loved that scene when it first aired.

King
Member Avatar

Grandpa Shawn's toast and Stefano's flashback are just CHILLING. I have never seen that flashback ever in my life on the show or on youtube!

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Oh, I lied. The montage, the rain, the music as Marlena sets on the bed and hold that flag has me very choked up.
Bravo Deidra.
Wait, that coin she just picked up. Wasn't that from when he first went into the coma? Remember the one that just disappeared from the nightstand.

Keith
Member Avatar

That montage slayed me.

King
Member Avatar

The New Penthouse Bedroom reminds me of a room in the Crane Mansion on PSNS. I think it's gorge!

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Loved Marlena yelling at Stefano to get out. The Jate flashback.

Now the men carrying out the casket. Dang it. This whole scene of everyone leaving the church. No words need to be spoken, the looks on their faces say it all. :(

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Marlena and Belle together in the bedroom was great. Dee and Martha have really good mother/daughter chemistry.

Jonatha

IMissAremid
Oct 19 2007, 11:32 AM
As sad as I am over Drake's firing/John's death I hope he STAYS DEAD. Because I really don't know if I can handle having cried BUCKETS over his death like a moron thinking he was really dead only to find out he's still alive. That will feel like the ultimate betrayal to me. I mean yeah in that moment I would be like oh I'm so happy John and Marlena are reunited. Then the next episode I would be like... now what? And so would the writers. And John and Marlena would just go back on the backburner.

eta:

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=101810

Just saw this. Damn.

If Drake comes back I will never believe a death on this show ever. Even if Deidre Hall died in real life I wouldn't believe that Marlena was really dead.

Although the idea of Ken Corday coming back to LA afraid for his life because everyone is so pissed at him for the fuckup of trying to get rid of Drake is kind of amusing. LOL.

I read that post this morning. I don't think the fans have the power to bring Drake back, no matter how much they protest. If Drake comes back it's not going to be because of the fans. It will be because of a hoax from Corday and the rest of tiic. Fans of Days are used to these kind of things since we all lived through the Salem Serial killings and other fake deaths. What Corday has to be careful of is a backlash just as you say, Mary. Can the fans take another faked death? Since John is dead leave him dead. I think we are all once bit and twice shy about these things.

Days4Life
Unregistered

I thought I was done crying this week, but today was the worst yet for me. Marlena coming home to that empty bedroom, with John's shirt over the chair, the rumpled bed, his cup and book on the nightstand, the rain falling outside...I think my heart is in about a billion pieces right now. Deidre was flawless. And her conversation with Belle about grief and how she had counseled people in the past without fully understanding what it was like--that was so real and heartfelt. I'm very proud of DAYS for dealing with death in a way that is so true to reality and not making it melodramatic and over the top.

I loved the story Marlena told Belle about John at the French bakery, pretending to speak French and she pretended not to know him. Very cute and sweet and I can easily visualize it as they often had playful little scenes like that. I also liked Shawn's toast to his "Johnny, a true Brady if there ever was one", which has me thinking about my Colleen theory again. The flashbacks were wonderful, especially since a lot of viewers may not have seen them the first time around.

I liked having Stefano at the church after the Bradys left, placing the pawn beside John's picture. A nice touch of respect from the man who manipulated him for so many years, only to discover all the mind control and implanted chips in the world can't defeat a hero.

I'm torn about the "is John really dead" debate. Part of me would love to have him back because he's been such a huge and important part of the show for over 20 years. However, this week has been so amazing, with so much pain and grief and emotion that if John isn't really dead, it takes away the impact of this wonderful, amazing week. So I don't know.... I will say this, though, regarding the fan response to John's death--I'm glad that NBC, Sony and all TPTB have received a strong reminder of how passionately devoted DAYS fans are. Ratings are not a true measure of a show's success. (As CBS learned from their Jericho fans.)

I liked that Bo, during his conversation with Shawn, mentioned that John died in a hit and run, just like Zack. I'm curious as to why, ever since he decided to join the Salem PD, we're getting so much ominous talk about Shawn getting hurt and how Hope couldn't lose another son. I can't believe DAYS would kill off another character so soon, but it does seem like some catastrophe may be in Shawn's future. Or maybe he will change his career plans again.

DAYS needs to do a crossover with CSI so they don't have to conduct their accident investigations at the Brady Pub.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply