Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Friday
Topic Started: Oct 19 2007, 12:28 AM (1,867 Views)
jcar03
Member Avatar

The changes to the show were defintely made after the show had already made up the preview things or whatever they are called - My guide thing for my cable said "Sami begins to deliver her baby" (yeah they only said baby which is at the time I thought they were just dumb) but I noticed I SoapNet's website it says "Philip considers giving up his son" which neither event happened today. I do believe that it is interesting. One of the Canadian websites that puts up day aheads also had the tape date as October 1st for yesterdays episode which was just 2 1/2 weeks ago.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Well I am sure the soap mags get the previews right after (or pretty close to after) the episodes are taped in order for them to get them printed in time. I know I had saw on one site Bo trying to talk Shawn out of being a cop happening today and then another site it said Monday (by the way enjoyed that scene between the two of them). I wonder if they started editing everything and didn't want to cut things so just combined episodes. It didn't bother me and I am glad they showed all of the footage instead of cutting things.

I have to say I really am noticing the changes in the production of the show. The different camera angles and editing brings a bit of balance. In the past you could watch the first segment to see which stories they would be focusing on and deciding if you want to watch or not. Now that isn't always the case.

Overall a good and emotional week that I felt ended nicely where we had the full cycle. Great performances by everyone.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Oct 19 2007, 01:44 AM
BTW, I remember when the spoilers about this scene came out Kenny posed a question of whether viewers would be watching her room to see what it was like more than paying attention to Marlena's grief. While because of that post I thought about it for a second as she opened the door to her room, it didn't take Dee very long AT ALL to upstage that set, as beautiful and lush as I thought it was and as much as I loved that glorious headboard and gold sheets (were those THE Jarlena sheets?).

OMG lol... that is the FIRST thing I thought myself whe I saw the bed... I said uh oh... are THESE THE SHEETS! I asked about that on a board... but I don't think anyone responded.

There was one other thing that has me puzzled... and it is a really minor detail too lol. At John funeral did anyone else notice the third big picture off to the right that looked like a wedding picture? You only see it very briefly when Bo & Hope are talking to the priest, and one other time. I can't for the life of me figure out whos wedding it is from... I really doesn't look like any of the ceremonies that John and Marlena have had. Perhaps it was from Belle's wedding to Philip?

The whole weeks worth of shows was WONDERFUL... and I have cried buckets from Monday until the end of todays show. I mean honestly my eyes hurt like hell lmao.

King
Member Avatar

Don't forget to vote in the DR Top 20, everybody!

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I just watched today's episode on Soapnet, and it enjoyed watching it a lot; the only thing that puzzled be was the odd way it ended after Belle and Sami said they were going to move in with Marlena.....

Deleted User
Deleted User

Help! You guys, I just saw today's episode. OMG, it was SADDER (for me than the death AND the funeral!)

Deidre Hall was AMAZING in showing how Marlena is dealing with the dreaded morning after. I cried. And then to see Sami and Belle be so good to their mother, I laughed and felt so warm inside.

And ALL those John and Marlena clips. This is SO the end of an era. And with all due respect to Drake and the incredible John and Marlena saga, I truly believe it's the beginning of a new, fresher "Days."
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kenny
Oct 19 2007, 07:11 AM
During the J&M montage today, I love how it starts out with hearing the rain falling and hitting the windows outside, then we fade to the montage and the music takes over, then as we fade back to Marlena, the sound of the pouring rain comes back and it fades away with no music... just the sound of rain hitting the windows.

It's so effective! This is a perfect, stellar example of "less is more." Sometimes you just don't NEED music playing over the scene in order for the viewer to realize that it's sad and for that emotion to be evoked.

OH! And I just watched a clip of the Dee/Drake/Thaao interview in Australia, and when asked about Marlena seeking revenge for John's death, Dee says, "everything is fine, just stay with us."

What does that mean?!

On one hand, I want John to be alive. But on the other hand, how can people ever take death seriously on this show when it's never a permanent thing?! Days should really figure out how to generate story without every situation being that of life-and-death. There are many other creative avenues to explore.

On the other hand, too, how can "Days" give SUCH a KICKASS three-episode-string surrounding John's death (the best were the last three, for me) and it NOT be real?

I mean, with the Salem serial killer it was different. The funerals were throaways and not really great, at all. (Not compared to THIS shit which is AMAZING lol). And you could tell they weren't really "dead" just from how little thought was given to such funerals. I mean, weren't there THREE caskets at one funeral? It was like a buy one, get two free deal. It was SO disrespectful and obvious that the deaths wouldn't stick, for me, at that point.

But this one's going to stick.

THere's no WAY it's not going to stick. I mean, ALL that airtime devoted to a character that Hogan or Corday or SOMEONE clearly hated and wanted to off ASAP, for whatever reason? (Evidenced by the coma and backburnering.) It just doesn't happen.

He HAS to be dead. It's hard to believe because it's "Days" but I have to believe John's DEAD.

And again, with all due respect to Drake, it's better that way.

Now, maybe he can come back as Roman and history repeats itself and that's how the show has its cake and eats it too. But JOHN BLACK, the character, is dead.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

King
Oct 19 2007, 11:14 AM
John is so alive.

I've been trying to think about this rationally and trying to take the most non-soap viewer-y approach to this.

Why would I soap - that is KNOWN for its agonizing pace - hit, say goodbye, kill, and bury a 25 year vet in four episodes? It's weird. It doesn't make ANY sense.

DAYS has been known for killing people off and bringing them back for years so they really have to up the ante now when they want people to "die." That's why with the SSK, they had people's "ghosts" appear and they gave Jack's organs away. They need to really drive home the fact that these people are dead and iron out any possible doubt that they could be be alive. I think John is alive, and I think they killed Bart, Benjy, and Andre for this whole purpose so they could say - See? People do stay dead in Salem. But John isn't one of them.

If we knew right now and this whole week that Drake wasn't really going anywhere, I don't think I would have cried. I don't think a lot of people would because you know he'll be back. It's the not knowing if we'll ever see Drake again that really kills you while watching these episodes this week.

I think also this is Ed Scott's way of getting people to tune in and see that the show is different now and will be a real soap now, and he had to take drastic action to get people to watch and see that the show is a real soap again. IMO, he is hoping people get hooked this week, stay with it, and bring John back in early '08. (I hope.)

This can also budgetary because even thought it is a dick thing to do, it's also a great strategy to get Drake to take a paycut and re-sign. I know people say he would have taken one anyway, but who knows. Maybe the show wanted to drive it home to be sure.

I was thinking while trying to be as detached from all of the inside crap we know, and I came up with - John Black is not dead. LOL. I hope it's true!

And I'm saying the opposite.

John Black IS dead.

But Drake will come back -- as Roman. Or Jonah Everest, a John look-alike who sweeps Marlena off her feet. She thinks it's John who's returned for her -- BUT HE just goes along with it, knowing his true identity and secure with it! :o he's a DOG, you guys! But poor Marlena falls for it.

The only question is, will BELLE figure out that Jonah's not who he says he is?

One thing's for sure, Sami's going to, once again, save the day, and dig up John's grave to make sure "John" (Jonah) really IS John!

Will she find the grave empty?

Or will she learn that a VERY, VERY bad man is deceiving her mother?!

STay tuned!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

IMissAremid
Oct 19 2007, 11:32 AM
As sad as I am over Drake's firing/John's death I hope he STAYS DEAD. Because I really don't know if I can handle having cried BUCKETS over his death like a moron thinking he was really dead only to find out he's still alive. That will feel like the ultimate betrayal to me. I mean yeah in that moment I would be like oh I'm so happy John and Marlena are reunited. Then the next episode I would be like... now what? And so would the writers. And John and Marlena would just go back on the backburner.

eta:

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=101810

Just saw this. Damn.

If Drake comes back I will never believe a death on this show ever. Even if Deidre Hall died in real life I wouldn't believe that Marlena was really dead.

Although the idea of Ken Corday coming back to LA afraid for his life because everyone is so pissed at him for the fuckup of trying to get rid of Drake is kind of amusing. LOL.

Your comment about Dee dying is SO potentially controversial but it made me laugh. :lol: Because it's SO true. "Days" is playing with death too much that, like you said, even if an actor died, a "Days" viewer couldn't be so sure they were retiring the character.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

King
Oct 19 2007, 12:48 PM
The New Penthouse Bedroom reminds me of a room in the Crane Mansion on PSNS. I think it's gorge!

I think the new bedroom works. I mean, I loved the old penthouse set but let's face it: the Jarlena bedroom was DATED. NO WAY would a woman like Marlena keep the same damn '70s or '80s bed. She has class, fash and cash!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

IMissAremid
Oct 19 2007, 11:32 AM
As sad as I am over Drake's firing/John's death I hope he STAYS DEAD. Because I really don't know if I can handle having cried BUCKETS over his death like a moron thinking he was really dead only to find out he's still alive. That will feel like the ultimate betrayal to me. I mean yeah in that moment I would be like oh I'm so happy John and Marlena are reunited. Then the next episode I would be like... now what? And so would the writers. And John and Marlena would just go back on the backburner.

eta:

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=101810

Just saw this. Damn.

If Drake comes back I will never believe a death on this show ever. Even if Deidre Hall died in real life I wouldn't believe that Marlena was really dead.

Although the idea of Ken Corday coming back to LA afraid for his life because everyone is so pissed at him for the fuckup of trying to get rid of Drake is kind of amusing. LOL.

I hope the soap mags or someone OFFICIAL confirms this. I don't see a reason for the poster to lie but it's always best to see it in print from an official or reputable source first. Then we KNOW the network got the message.

I hope NBC sees that this isn't just about fucking over Drake. It's about the LEGIONS of "Days" fans would FUCK THAT NETWORK OVER if they canceled the show.

Knowing "Days" fans, I wouldn't be surprised if the "Today" window were filled with nothing but protesters for weeks if, God forbid, that announcement came down.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jinxed Soul
Oct 19 2007, 05:04 PM
This is not really spoilerish. But, is there anyone who watched the Canadian episode today? I noticed that when Bo and Shawn were talking, and the conversation concluded (just before Shawn left), the camera zoomed into the red light that was flashing. Could that have sentimental value that his cop career is not meant to be, or will lead to trouble?

Shawn is sooooooooooooooooooo going to die. And I think it's sort of sick. To leave Hope CHILDLESS. Well, she has Ciara, I forgot. But still, 1 for 3? That's not very good. :( But the signs are all there, the foreshadowing, everything.

And it's an Ed decision. Philip and Belle, as many have pointed out, have taken over, for whatever reason. The tide is turning and Shelle are "so 2000," as they say.
Quote Post Goto Top

jcar03
Member Avatar

I hope John is dead and stays dead or it will ruin the absoute beauty of this week for me. Yes this show is famous for bringing people back from the dead BUT Ed Scott doesn't seem into that and I really think he is really running the show right now.

King
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Oct 20 2007, 01:12 AM
King
Oct 19 2007, 11:14 AM
John is so alive.

I've been trying to think about this rationally and trying to take the most non-soap viewer-y approach to this.

Why would I soap - that is KNOWN for its agonizing pace - hit, say goodbye, kill, and bury a 25 year vet in four episodes? It's weird. It doesn't make ANY sense.

DAYS has been known for killing people off and bringing them back for years so they really have to up the ante now when they want people to "die." That's why with the SSK, they had people's "ghosts" appear and they gave Jack's organs away. They need to really drive home the fact that these people are dead and iron out any possible doubt that they could be be alive. I think John is alive, and I think they killed Bart, Benjy, and Andre for this whole purpose so they could say - See? People do stay dead in Salem. But John isn't one of them.

If we knew right now and this whole week that Drake wasn't really going anywhere, I don't think I would have cried. I don't think a lot of people would because you know he'll be back. It's the not knowing if we'll ever see Drake again that really kills you while watching these episodes this week.

I think also this is Ed Scott's way of getting people to tune in and see that the show is different now and will be a real soap now, and he had to take drastic action to get people to watch and see that the show is a real soap again. IMO, he is hoping people get hooked this week, stay with it, and bring John back in early '08. (I hope.)

This can also budgetary because even thought it is a dick thing to do, it's also a great strategy to get Drake to take a paycut and re-sign. I know people say he would have taken one anyway, but who knows. Maybe the show wanted to drive it home to be sure.

I was thinking while trying to be as detached from all of the inside crap we know, and I came up with - John Black is not dead. LOL. I hope it's true!

And I'm saying the opposite.

John Black IS dead.

But Drake will come back -- as Roman. Or Jonah Everest, a John look-alike who sweeps Marlena off her feet. She thinks it's John who's returned for her -- BUT HE just goes along with it, knowing his true identity and secure with it! :o he's a DOG, you guys! But poor Marlena falls for it.

The only question is, will BELLE figure out that Jonah's not who he says he is?

One thing's for sure, Sami's going to, once again, save the day, and dig up John's grave to make sure "John" (Jonah) really IS John!

Will she find the grave empty?

Or will she learn that a VERY, VERY bad man is deceiving her mother?!

STay tuned!

I definitely think that's a possibility, as well! John being dead, and Drake returning.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I just got the chance to watch my tape.

I'm about twenty minutes into it, and Deidre absolutely ripped my heart out in the scene where she returns home! Oh my God, I was expecting it to be sad. You know, a few tears down the cheek, sad music playing over the scene, then cut to the next thing.

But no.

It was so much more!

It wasn't rushed. Marlena eased her way into the room...slowly. She looked around... slowly. She sat down... slowly. Then all at once, she bursts into tears and begins rocking back and forth (in slow motion) as she holds John's coat close to her chest and cries with the most heartbreaking sound of emotional deflation.

I couldn't believe how simplistic and powerful it was! Less is SO much more. Compared to the camp of James E. Reilly, this is like Shakespeare!

Meanwhile, I haven't finished the tape yet, so I'll go watch the rest. I just had to comment on this, immediately!

Kenny
Member Avatar

OMG, the toast that Pop Shawn made to John was awesome! Those flashbacks!!

I loved everyone raising their glasses in slow-mo, LoL!

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

If John infact is not dead, I'm puzzled by why DAYS would give him the most dramatic, and meaningful exit. Perhaps to make the viewers think he really is dead? There was no Dimera involvement after John was in the hospital, which we know of. If he did show up alive, I'd be shocked as to how that's possible.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Kenny
Oct 20 2007, 07:27 AM

I'm about twenty minutes into it, and Deidre absolutely ripped my heart out in the scene where she returns home! Oh my God, I was expecting it to be sad. You know, a few tears down the cheek, sad music playing over the scene, then cut to the next thing.

But no.

It was so much more!

It wasn't rushed. Marlena eased her way into the room...slowly. She looked around... slowly. She sat down... slowly. Then all at once, she bursts into tears and begins rocking back and forth (in slow motion) as she holds John's coat close to her chest and cries with the most heartbreaking sound of emotional deflation.

I couldn't believe how simplistic and powerful it was! Less is SO much more. Compared to the camp of James E. Reilly, this is like Shakespeare!

Meanwhile, I haven't finished the tape yet, so I'll go watch the rest. I just had to comment on this, immediately!

So you weren't thinking about the set, Kenny? ;)

Kenny
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Oct 20 2007, 10:40 AM
Kenny
Oct 20 2007, 07:27 AM

But no.

It was so much more!

So you weren't thinking about the set, Kenny? ;)

Actually, surprisingly... NO! LoL

Tammy
Member Avatar

Here is how I feel as a J&M fan... and this is hard for me to say lol. If they aren't going to bring Drake back as John Black then I preferr the death was REAL. Only because if they bring him back as someone else... and Marlena falls in love with him... that would be a slap in the face to THIS J&M fan. I mean... what, she is going to fall in love with a guy because he LOOKS like John? What would that say to the element of J&M being soulmates, like many of their fans think they are?

And him coming back as the REAL Roman... ugh I am tired of musical Roman's. I guess it might be interesting to see how they tried to make it plausable, but I am afraid if they tried they would fuck it up.

So for me if Drake came back I would want it to be as John Black... not his evil twin... or long lost cousin... or an oddly similar looking stranger.

I always thought it would be interesting for him to come back and have his memory wiped out again... and Marlena would have to work with him to remember their love... and in the process they could get him to remember all the stuff that we never figured out in the first palce. Like who his father was and where he was all those missing years.

And if there was a just and loving soap god they would figure out (somehow) that J&M were eachothers first loves, from when they were younger. If Marlena could forget that she was married to ALex North... then she could have totally forgotten meeting and being in love beofre that ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply