Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"The Devil Made Me Do It: Marlena's Possession!"; SoapNet's DAYS Halloween Marathon...
Topic Started: Oct 22 2007, 03:31 AM (4,234 Views)
IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Ummmm did the devil just give her an orgasm on the way out of her body?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Marlena is alive! I love that angels wear jean jackets and have mullets in JER's world.

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Oct 28 2007, 10:49 PM
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Marlena is alive! I love that angels wear jean jackets and have mullets in JER's world.

:lol: :lol:

Kenny
Member Avatar

Marlena felt... touched, LoL.

Awww, this is so touching! Marlena's awake and crying and she wants to walk.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

IMissAremid
Oct 28 2007, 10:49 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Alright, I have been trying to figure out who Tara Reid was on Days and how long she was there. For the life of me I can't find it.

Kenny
Member Avatar

LESBIAN KISS BETWEEN KRISTEN & MARLENA!! Who saw it?! LoL

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Yes, it's over! Let the rain fall.
How touching of wardrobe to put Dee in all white. :shame:

Kenny
Member Avatar

Well that was fun! That ending with John & Marlena rejoicing in the rain is so sweet!

I miss the 90's, LoL.

jcar03
Member Avatar

Nixsoaps
Oct 28 2007, 10:54 PM
Alright, I have been trying to figure out who Tara Reid was on Days and how long she was there. For the life of me I can't find it.

Tara had a very small role as Ashley, I do believe she was one of Sami's friends.

GatsbyGirl
Member Avatar

I forgot to reset my Tivo, so I recorded/watched Dexter for the first hour. I'm in the middle of episode two right now. OMG I'm in heaven watching this shit. :lol:

MarDevil is so sassy making kissy noises at Father John (LOL), Kristen, Tony/Andre, Stefano and Father Francis (OMG!). Lexie still thought Celeste was her Aunt Frankie. Old School—but not Original Old School—Carrie and Austin up on the roof with Wendy and Jonah. Ah, I love it!

Thank you, SoapNet! :hail:

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I didn't mind RKK as Bo at the time, but after watching him again I don't like him at all! Mark Valley was my favorite Jack! I don't remember Tara Reid being on, I was suprised to see her.

I was hoping they would show the episode where Marlena turned into the freaky looking monster and when she threw little Father Francis.

GatsbyGirl
Member Avatar

LMAO @ John saying "That's it?" after he sent the devil back to hell WHERE HE BELONGS!!!!! :lol:

Vivian and Ivan are awesome in this episode. I wish they would return to Salem someday soon. I loved how Vivian asked the lawyer to tell Sami to look sweet and innocent ("She can look sweet and innocent, can't she?" — LMAO!). LOL @ Vivian dressed as a nun. Sami looks so young in this episode, but Lucas looks even younger. LOL I forgot Vivian was working with him to bring Sami back home to Salem from Seattle to stop Carrie and Austin's wedding. I forgot about Tara Reid playing Sami's friend, too.

I love seeing all those old characters in this episode, recasts and all, in the scenes at the church. Kristen, Carrie and Austin, Lisa Rinna's Billie, Mrs. H, Gina (Kristian looked so beautiful), Mark Valley's Jack Deveraux, etc. Ooh and it's nice to see Mike Horton again. So dreamy! :wub:

The scenes with John bringing Marlena into the church and everyone cheering after she woke up and Marlena tearfully saying she didn't want to go to the hospital and she wants walk to the car were wonderful. Aww! And now it's raining. I just got chills. Great episode! :D

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wow...seeing those 3 episodes tonight reminded me of how good I thought the possession was at the time and how bad I think it is now. There was a time where I praised JER's first stint to high heaven but something that changed that for me was watching clips of his first stint and watching my old tapes a few times. The more I see it the more I realize how stupid it all was and how it relied on the camp and outrageousness to cover up the crappy writing behind it. That is why Days' ratings surged back then. Nothing like what was being dished out had ever been seen on daytime and it was also a different era. There was less choices of what to watch, budgets were in a much better state, writer's still had fresh idea's, etc. One of Days' big problems is the fact that the show has alot of vets and their characters have been through so much that it's hard to come up with something original and that the audience will allow. The fanbases would never allow what JER did now. That is why his second stint sucked ratings-wise. The audience was no longer willing to accept that stuff. Different times. Different eras. Plus, the fact that so many soaps tried to emulate Days or some of the stories eventually caused fans to reject that type of story, especially since fans of other soaps did not expect that from their soaps and the result was alienation of viewers.

The only part of the possession marathon tonight that affected me was the Marlena reunion scenes in the last episode. Those were written well for the most part. I was also reminded of how far Drake has fallen in the acting department. I also found Alice annoying back then. People complain about propping now but Alice was an even bigger propper back then then anything I see now. I also enjoyed seeing people like Carrie, MV's Jack, RKK's Bo (even if I hate what he did), Vivian, Sami, Lisa Rinna's Billie, Austin Peck when he was decent, Caroline, Victor, Fr. Jansen and Fr. Francis, Kristen, etc. I also was reminded of how bad some of the SFX were at times even then. Makes me love Ed Scott much more. It was great to see this and be reminded of 10+ years ago. I wish that they would show some 80's/early 90's stuff to show fans from JER's first stint and beyond what Days is really about. That was gold. That was what made legions of fans fall in love with this show. All JER's stint did was create a division among fans who want his style and fans that want a return to the show's glory years.

I had fun watching this event tonight but it makes me wonder what I saw in this the first time. To me, the actors salvaged this and made something of it. No matter how much I watch them, Aremid and Maison Blanche still seem just as good now as then, unlike possession. Maybe because they were grounded and about real drama with a gothic twist. JER seemed so much better with Sheri with him. The start of his stint with her was fantastic with Roman/Marlena.John especially. I know it was probably more Sheri then JER but still. That is why I like Sheri as a co-HW for Hogan. She rocks that role. I wish we could get more classic episodes, especially 80's stuff. Cruise of Deception is a good idea. Now that would be a dream.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Oh, one more thing, the end of the showdown with John and Satan/Marlena was one of the worst endings to a story ever. It gets worse everytime I watch it. The scenes at the church make up for it though. I loved those scenes and the scene in the rain. Gorgeous.

GatsbyGirl
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 29 2007, 02:05 AM
Oh, one more thing, the end of the showdown with John and Satan/Marlena was one of the worst endings to a story ever.  It gets worse everytime I watch it.  The scenes at the church make up for it though.  I loved those scenes and the scene in the rain.  Gorgeous.

I know. It ended with such a thud. John was right: "That's it?" Like GMAFB, man. :lol:

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 29 2007, 03:04 AM
Wow...seeing those 3 episodes tonight reminded me of how good I thought the possession was at the time and how bad I think it is now. There was a time where I praised JER's first stint to high heaven but something that changed that for me was watching clips of his first stint and watching my old tapes a few times. The more I see it the more I realize how stupid it all was and how it relied on the camp and outrageousness to cover up the crappy writing behind it. That is why Days' ratings surged back then. Nothing like what was being dished out had ever been seen on daytime and it was also a different era. There was less choices of what to watch, budgets were in a much better state, writer's still had fresh idea's, etc. One of Days' big problems is the fact that the show has alot of vets and their characters have been through so much that it's hard to come up with something original and that the audience will allow. The fanbases would never allow what JER did now. That is why his second stint sucked ratings-wise. The audience was no longer willing to accept that stuff. Different times. Different eras. Plus, the fact that so many soaps tried to emulate Days or some of the stories eventually caused fans to reject that type of story, especially since fans of other soaps did not expect that from their soaps and the result was alienation of viewers.

The only part of the possession marathon tonight that affected me was the Marlena reunion scenes in the last episode. Those were written well for the most part. I was also reminded of how far Drake has fallen in the acting department. I also found Alice annoying back then. People complain about propping now but Alice was an even bigger propper back then then anything I see now. I also enjoyed seeing people like Carrie, MV's Jack, RKK's Bo (even if I hate what he did), Vivian, Sami, Lisa Rinna's Billie, Austin Peck when he was decent, Caroline, Victor, Fr. Jansen and Fr. Francis, Kristen, etc. I also was reminded of how bad some of the SFX were at times even then. Makes me love Ed Scott much more. It was great to see this and be reminded of 10+ years ago. I wish that they would show some 80's/early 90's stuff to show fans from JER's first stint and beyond what Days is really about. That was gold. That was what made legions of fans fall in love with this show. All JER's stint did was create a division among fans who want his style and fans that want a return to the show's glory years.

I had fun watching this event tonight but it makes me wonder what I saw in this the first time. To me, the actors salvaged this and made something of it. No matter how much I watch them, Aremid and Maison Blanche still seem just as good now as then, unlike possession. Maybe because they were grounded and about real drama with a gothic twist. JER seemed so much better with Sheri with him. The start of his stint with her was fantastic with Roman/Marlena.John especially. I know it was probably more Sheri then JER but still. That is why I like Sheri as a co-HW for Hogan. She rocks that role. I wish we could get more classic episodes, especially 80's stuff. Cruise of Deception is a good idea. Now that would be a dream.

Parts of the possession were hokey and ridiculous (like the panther thing), but other parts were truly chilling and creepy... such as the original desecrations, levitating on Christmas Eve and most everything from the early stages of the storyline.

SOAPnet just chose to show the most outrageous episodes of the storyline, LoL. The bees attacking Shawn and the panther were ridiculous then, just as they are now.

It was definitely a love or hate story.

Meanwhile... you're right about Maison Blanche, Aremid, etc. They were BRILLIANCE. John and Marlena were amazing in the 90's, all the way from The Affair to The Secret Room. Even the triangle of Sami/Austin/Carrie was intensely good.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 29 2007, 02:36 AM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 29 2007, 03:04 AM

Parts of the possession were hokey and ridiculous (like the panther thing), but other parts were truly chilling and creepy... such as the original desecrations, levitating on Christmas Eve and most everything from the early stages of the storyline.

SOAPnet just chose to show the most outrageous episodes of the storyline, LoL. The bees attacking Shawn and the panther were ridiculous then, just as they are now.

It was definitely a love or hate story.

Meanwhile... you're right about Maison Blanche, Aremid, etc. They were BRILLIANCE. John and Marlena were amazing in the 90's, all the way from The Affair to The Secret Room. Even the triangle of Sami/Austin/Carrie was intensely good.

Yes, I agree.

Honestly I think they picked the episodes they did other than the final one with Marlena becoming unpossessed just based on what would make for the most outrageous promos.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 29 2007, 02:05 AM
Oh, one more thing, the end of the showdown with John and Satan/Marlena was one of the worst endings to a story ever. It gets worse everytime I watch it. The scenes at the church make up for it though. I loved those scenes and the scene in the rain. Gorgeous.

I remember watching this storyline in college but didn't have a VCR so I never saw how it actually ended. But watching it last night when all John said was for the devil to leave her and that saved her was a such a cheap ending. I know that story went on for months and that was such a cheesy ending to it all. I guess that was always a problem of JER...drag a story out with a really bad ending.

Some other comments on what others have said:

At the time I was never bothered by RKK...but I am glad now PR is back. Bo was so stiff then.

Was never bothered by Mark Valley as Jack.

Miss Vivian...THERE IS A CHARACTER TO BRING BACK.

John as the priest just had me laughing. So corny and one of the reasons that John Black drove me nuts.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I don't have a problem with the way the story ended.

They had a "fight to the death" in the morgue. Finally, after all that time, a literal physical fight. It's not as if John just bumped into Marlena in the street someplace and said, "go back to hell," LoL. He fought for her!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply