Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Deidre Hall Interview
Topic Started: Oct 25 2007, 08:48 AM (1,376 Views)
Jonatha

Linking only, please.

A Closer Look

In the wake of burying her beloved husband John, Marlena starts thinking about revenge this week on Days of our Lives, which means the beginning of a new phase for the heroine. Actress Deidre Hall weighs in on her character's grief, growth and new direction after getting through the most heart-wrenching scenes she's had to play in years.

SOW: How do you think the show handled the scenes surrounding John's death?

DH: We don't always get to have dialogue that is so succinct and profound and in the moment. So caring and nurturing. This scenes were written with enormous tenderness.

SOW: They certainly were tear-jerkers.

DH: Oh, my gosh! I don't usually get swept up in these things. Early on, when I read the scripts -- there were eight in a row -- I was on the treadmill and wept the entire hour. Wept and wept. It was this rich family setting. I held my brother when he died. I held my dad when he died. I held my mom when she died. All that stuff is the greatest gift of comfort for survivors and, I've got to think certainly comfort for the departing.

SOW: How do you like the way Marlena's grief is being depicted?

DH: It is so well done. The speeches about the meaning of grief are from some brilliant mind. It's letting the audience know, here's what it is. Here is how it goes. Here is how it feels. Marlena has been disconsolate, completely undone. You don't see her like that very often. It isn't self-pity. It's exquisite sadness and loss and talking about loss. I love that she doesn't say, "I can't tell you how upset I am," but tells you how upset she is in words and feelings and pictures that dogs and cats can understand. It's such an important public service for the audience to sense what this family is and will be going through, and how the coping mechanisms will work for everybody.

SOW: Do you get a sense of a stronger Marlena will emerge from this tragedy?

DH: From what I'm seeing so far, yes. You can't scare her anymore. My sister [Andrea Hall-Gengler -ex-Samantha, ex-Hattie] teaches Special Ed, and when she sees kids heading for something they shouldn't be heading for, she says, 'You really want to poke that bear?" I feel like Marlena isn't afraid to poke the bear anymore. She'll take on Stefano, she's fearless.

SOW: Why do you think that is?

DH: Because she's got nothing left to lose. Her children are where they need to be. Everybody has launched, everybody is gone, there's just her.

SOW: What's your hope for Marlena now?

DH: I like that she's courageous. I like that she's outspoken. I would like to see her maintain this level of intensity. My fantasy would be a woman who's having a Jodie Foster moment, she loses someone she loves --- and comes out fighting!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Thanks again Jonatha! I am thrilled to see what Marlena does in the next few months. :cheers:

Ellie

Thanks for posting!! I agree with her... these were some of the most moving and well-written scenes in years (if not decades) on Days.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Great interview. I really like her take on Marlena right now.

GatsbyGirl
Member Avatar

Great interview. Thanks for posting it, Jonatha! :)

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Thanks Jonatha!

I agree with DHer. Her scenes were amazing and I did feel her grief. It was very moving and a proper tribute to the decades long love affair of J&M.

I am also glad that Marlena will be strong and be an anchor of the show. If I am interpreting correctly. She is expensive but she is the face of Days. I also think John's death has rejuvenated DHer's finer acting instincts. She has been great over the last couple of weeks.

I am rubbing my hands over the upcoming MarDevil vs Steffy battles!!!!

Mason
Member Avatar

I love Deidre. I really hope this story for Marlena doesn't turn out to be just talk.

King
Member Avatar

I find it weird NONE of these interviews are asking about a Drake return!

Mason
Member Avatar

I still think that Drake may not officially be gone from the show. John may really be dead, but I would bet money that Drake's back on screen by February, if not sooner.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Wonderful interview. DH is always great.

Oh and she mentioned Andrea!!!! The highlight of the interview for me. :lol:

Jonatha

daysfan
Oct 25 2007, 05:00 PM
Wonderful interview. DH is always great.

Oh and she mentioned Andrea!!!! The highlight of the interview for me. :lol:

I've been meaning to tell you I like your avatar of Andrea. :)

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

She sounds happy about the adventure she is about to embark on.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply