Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide CA Names Daytime's Worst Actors
Topic Started: Oct 26 2007, 07:04 AM (1,087 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Thanks Dragonish for this.

The acting police: soap’s worst actors

BY Nelson Branco

Overact much? Find out who we think deserves to be booted from daytime, like yesterday!

Oh, MacKenzie Mauzy. You could do so much better
For every Susan Flannery (Stephanie, The Bold and the Beautiful) and Anthony Geary (Luke, General Hospital), there’s a hair model posing as an actor on daytime television.

For decades, soap operas have stereotypically been synonymous with bad acting. Unfortunately, there’s some truth to that assertion. Many agents view soaps as a professional acting workshop and stepping stone for the inexperienced before launching them into much more serious mediums.

What most people aren’t aware of is that back in the day, talented theatre actors populated daytime canvases, especially during the early radio and TV days. However, in the early 1980s, a plethora of models with no acting experience or talent dominated daytime thanks to the popularity ignited by General Hospital’s modern super-couple Luke and Laura.

Since then, daytime’s obsession with the under-40 set has led to even more questionable and shady casting decisions. There’s only one thing worse than bad writing — and that’s bad acting; which only distracts and disconnects the audience from the story at hand.

Recently two of the worst actors on daytime were fired (Days’ Drake Hogestyn and GH’s Natalia Livingston), which got me thinking what a wonderful world Planet Soap would be without the following performers.

1. MELISSA ARCHER (NATALIE BUCHANAN, ONE LIFE TO LIVE)
Since Natalie is Clint Buchanan and Victoria Lord’s only biological daughter, an actress of Jerry ver Dorn (Clint) and Erika Slezak’s (Viki) calibre should’ve been cast. Natalie could have been one of the best anti-heroines of our time with her lineage and colourful back-story, but instead, viewers are forced to stomach Archer as she horrifically struggles through her scenes, which is akin to watching President George Bush attempt the English language.

Not once have I seen Archer connect to any truth or genuine emotion; she’s a living and breathing teleprompter. Archer, who has perfected the dazed-and-confused look, lacks skill and technique, which is sad considering her co-stars are top drawer. Sure, she has a vocal fan base, but so does Britney Spears. I know no one ever lost a dollar underestimating the taste of the public, but come on — my dead grandmother could play this role better.

2. RONN MOSS (RIDGE FORRESTER, THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL)
He’s one of the most charming and intelligent stars I’ve ever met — however, there’s no denying that Moss is way out of his league on this brilliantly acted show. In a way, he’s the perfect Ridge, and I wouldn’t want to see him leave the soap because Moss’ lack of talent is one of the reasons it’s so much fun to hate Ridge, but it’d be nice if he threw us a bone occasionally. It’s not that hard — even Hunter Tylo (Taylor) improved her game.

3. PETER RECKELL (BO BRADY, DAYS OF OUR LIVES)
Sure, Days isn’t known for its acting, but after 20 years as Bo Brady, you’d think Reckell would have at least learned how to impersonate an actor. During John Black’s epic funeral last week, it was clear that Reckell couldn’t act his way out of a parking ticket, let alone emote any kind of grief or infuse just a hint of life into his dialogue. It’s ironic because he wasn’t that bad when he debuted on the soap in the ‘80s — he was raw and intense back in the day, but now he’s just D.O.A.

4. AGIM KABA (AARON SNYDER, AS THE WORLD TURNS)
Just because Kaba received an Emmy nomination for outstanding younger lead actor in 2004 doesn’t mean he’s a thespian by any means. It actually physically hurts to see Kaba on-screen because he really is trying to act, but sadly, good intentions aren’t enough. I resent being forced to watch a wannabe learn to act on my time when great actors are in the unemployment line — it’s arrogant, really. He sure is pretty though.

5. CHRISTINA CHAMBERS (MARTY SAYBROOKE, ONE LIFE TO LIVE)
Luckily, producers at OLTL saw the error in recasting Emmy winner Susan Haskell’s Marty Saybrooke with Jaclyn Smith clone Christina Chambers, and justifiably fired her (she’ll continue to air until November). Chambers stuck out like a sore thumb in this talented ensemble; she’s vacuous and one-note. And we’re being nice.

6. JAKE SILBERMANN (NOAH MAYER, AS THE WORLD TURNS)
Although Silbermann sizzles opposite love interest Van Hansis (Luke) thanks to their off-the-charts chemistry, the newcomer’s sloppy work is hard to ignore. Silbermann looks constipated most of the time, especially when he attempts to convey any kind of real emotion. Get thee some Exlax, quick!

7. MACKENZIE MAUZY (PHOEBE FORRESTER, THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL)
There’s probably some justice in the fact that Ronn Moss’ on-screen daughter inherited his talent malfunction … but that’s still no excuse for terrorizing me on a daily basis. Mauzy should spend less time singing and more time with an acting coach. This vapid star is dangerous, too — she even managed to suck all the life out of Kyle Lowder (Rick).

8. BRANDON BUDDY (COLE THORNHART, ONE LIFE TO LIVE)
Want to know how I survive a scene that Buddy somehow manages to hijack, thanks to his manic eye-wandering and posturing? Heroin and booze – and lots of it. He’s no friend of mine, that’s for sure.

9. NICOLE FORRESTER (CASSIE WINSLOW, GUIDING LIGHT)
As another hair model posing as an actor, Forrester makes her predecessor, Laura Wright (Carly, GH; ex-Cassie), look like Meryl Streep. Watching her struggle through Tammy’s funeral was daytime torture at its cruelest.

10. THE CAST OF PASSIONS
With the exception of Ben Masters (Julian) and Juliet Mills (Tabitha), the cast of Passions is a perfect example of bad casting. Acting professors should definitely use Passions as a cautionary tale in their classes.

RUNNERS—UP: THE YOUNG AND TALENTLESS
Christel Khalil (Lily Winters, The Young and the Restless)
If you ever need to clear a room fast, turn on Y&R during a scene with Khalil and you’ll never see the pests again – especially if she’s in a scene with the lifeless Bryton McClure (Devon). Have you seen a more boring “actor” on TV?

Christian LeBlanc (Michael Baldwin, Y&R)
Or when good actors turn bad: this two-time Daytime Emmy winner has been out of control lately with his over-the-top histrionics that scream, “Look, people, I’m acting!” Like we could ever forget. What happened to that fine actor from yesteryear, whom I fell in love with?

Adrienne Frantz (Amber Moore, Y&R)
The best way to deal with Frantz on screen is to turn the volume off. If you don’t, you’ll inherit a killer migraine that will last as long as this cockroach has a career.

Published: Thursday, October 25, 2007
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

IA with the article, especially in regards to Melissa Archer and Chrisitna Chambers. They are so wooden.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

SteveFrame
Oct 26 2007, 08:04 AM
3. PETER RECKELL (BO BRADY, DAYS OF OUR LIVES)
Sure, Days isn’t known for its acting, but after 20 years as Bo Brady, you’d think Reckell would have at least learned how to impersonate an actor. During John Black’s epic funeral last week, it was clear that Reckell couldn’t act his way out of a parking ticket, let alone emote any kind of grief or infuse just a hint of life into his dialogue. It’s ironic because he wasn’t that bad when he debuted on the soap in the ‘80s — he was raw and intense back in the day, but now he’s just D.O.A.

DAYS isn't known for its acting? I don't really watch any other soaps, so I don't have anything to compare against technically, but what would Deidre Hall, Kristian Alfanso, and Alison Sweeney define? Those are just a few names!

I wouldn't say Peter is the best actor on the show, but he certainly isn't awful. He was amazing during their major storyline of Zach's death, and he's continued to shine overall since. He just hasn't had any really dramatic scenes in a while. I'm trying to think back to John's death to see what exactly the writer is referring to, and I just don't know.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

I'm staring to think we need to rank the soap press's Top 10 worst writers. I know it would be hard to narrow it down to just 10, but the level of reporting gets worse each day.

Branco wrote this about Jake Silbermann in August:
Silbermann isn’t your typical younger leading man — he’s smart, sensitive, and uniquely sexy.

He also has insulted Scott Bryce multiple times and thinks Austin Peck is God's gift to ACTING.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Days isn't known for its acting in the industry. Look at how the performers on DOOL are treated with the Emmys and even getting nominated. This has been the case for about 20 years. In the 70s and 80s, the show got some nominations and wins, but since then it is almost a miracle when they get a nomination.

I wonder if Blanco made this list based on who is in major story and it is totally subjective.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Well it is not just that but many have seen since Edward Scott came aboard that many of the performers have not been getting good direction either. Just look at how much many of the performers have grown with the right direction.

Just look at what good direction has done for Kyle Lowder at B&B and Austin Peck at ATWT. Peck is getting many rave reviews even by mags now that he is at ATWT. Both Lowder and Peck are holding their own with the best of daytime now.

Days has always had good performers, but they haven't had the right direction and the right material to work with. Some actors are natural. Some are not. Some need guidance.

Deleted User
Deleted User

SteveFrame
Oct 26 2007, 01:53 PM
Well it is not just that but many have seen since Edward Scott came aboard that many of the performers have not been getting good direction either. Just look at how much many of the performers have grown with the right direction.

Just look at what good direction has done for Kyle Lowder at B&B and Austin Peck at ATWT. Peck is getting many rave reviews even by mags now that he is at ATWT. Both Lowder and Peck are holding their own with the best of daytime now.

Days has always had good performers, but they haven't had the right direction and the right material to work with. Some actors are natural. Some are not. Some need guidance.

I'm sorry, did you say "PECK" is holding his own in daytime?!

Oh, that MUST be some magical direction.

THIS, I GOTTA see.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Yes he is. One of the mags even praised him last week. He is winning over many of his harshest critics at ATWT.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Peck? You mean Austin Peck... is winning over many fans? AUSTIN Peck?

kserox10

Agree on everything

Deleted User
Deleted User

Melissa Archer(Natalie, OLTL) is a good actress. I get sick and tired of people saying she isn't! Peter Reckell(Bo, DAYS) also is a good actor as well. Christina Chambers(Marty, OLTL) is NOT a horrible actress. She's pretty good IMHO, she was miscast and I'll agree did poor acting as Molly on ATWT, but has done a good job as Marty Saybrooke on OLTL. TV GUIDE Canada should be sued IMHO and TV GUIDE should fire their idiotic nasty columnist.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

SteveFrame
Oct 26 2007, 07:04 AM

Recently two of the worst actors on daytime were fired (Days’ Drake Hogestyn and GH’s Natalia Livingston), which got me thinking what a wonderful world Planet Soap would be without the following performers.

1. MELISSA ARCHER (NATALIE BUCHANAN, ONE LIFE TO LIVE)
Since Natalie is Clint Buchanan and Victoria Lord’s only biological daughter, an actress of Jerry ver Dorn (Clint) and Erika Slezak’s (Viki) calibre should’ve been cast. Natalie could have been one of the best anti-heroines of our time with her lineage and colourful back-story, but instead, viewers are forced to stomach Archer as she horrifically struggles through her scenes, which is akin to watching President George Bush attempt the English language.

Not once have I seen Archer connect to any truth or genuine emotion; she’s a living and breathing teleprompter. Archer, who has perfected the dazed-and-confused look, lacks skill and technique, which is sad considering her co-stars are top drawer. Sure, she has a vocal fan base, but so does Britney Spears. I know no one ever lost a dollar underestimating the taste of the public, but come on — my dead grandmother could play this role better.

Drake Hogestyn has been horrible at times, but he's been good at times as well. Natalia Livingston also is just hated by Amber Tamblyn fans IMHO. She's not as good an actress as Tamblyn no, but she's ok, not one of the worst IMHO.

Jerry Ver Dorn wasn't even playing Clint Buchanan when Natalie Buchanan (and Melissa Archer joined the show) was introduced. This proves what an ignorant fool this Nelson Branco is!
Melissa Archer shows a range of emotions in each scene she is in. She's a good actress and imho one of the best actresses of her age on soaps period.
Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

First, what the hell is the need to smack a genre that's down?

Second, Peter Reckell was great during John's death, imho, playing frustrated and angry grief (a great contrast with Alfonso losing it).

Third- Passions is easy pickings and a sign of cheap writing. True, it's not loaded with great actors. But the acting is solid enough, imho. Lindsay Hartley & Liza Huber would fit in on the other soaps I've seen just fine.

What a schmuck this guy is.

WTGH
Member Avatar
Bitch!

Hold the phone... Natalia Livingston got FIRED from GH?!?!

:o :o

When?! Details?

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

RogerNewcomb
Oct 26 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm staring to think we need to rank the soap press's Top 10 worst writers.  I know it would be hard to narrow it down to just 10, but the level of reporting gets worse each day.

Branco wrote this about Jake Silbermann in August:
Silbermann isn’t your typical younger leading man — he’s smart, sensitive, and uniquely sexy.

He also has insulted Scott Bryce multiple times and thinks Austin Peck is God's gift to ACTING.

He was saying that about the actor, not the character or his talent. And I think him highlighting Peck was really about showing how bad ATWT is, and it is. When Peck is interesting, you know there's a problem. Scott Bryce is no Hunt Block, but he's no actor of the year either.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Jinxed Soul
Oct 26 2007, 04:20 PM
Peck? You mean Austin Peck... is winning over many fans? AUSTIN Peck?

Hello — watch the show, and you'll see. PEOPLE CHANGE — if you don't believe that, that's a sad life.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Mulder
Oct 26 2007, 06:05 PM
Melissa Archer(Natalie, OLTL) is a good actress.  I get sick and tired of people saying she isn't!  Peter Reckell(Bo, DAYS) also is a good actor as well.  Christina Chambers(Marty, OLTL) is NOT a horrible actress. She's pretty good IMHO, she was miscast and I'll agree did poor acting as Molly on ATWT, but has done a good job as Marty Saybrooke on OLTL.  TV GUIDE Canada should be sued IMHO and TV GUIDE should fire their idiotic nasty columnist.

Whoa.. you don't believe in free speech. Scary times indeed. Being sued is a little much; there's been no law broken. But he does seem like he's on the rag lately.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply