Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Belle and Phillip; Finally a real affair on this show...
Topic Started: Oct 26 2007, 08:30 PM (1,134 Views)
Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I know the shelle fans are disgusted by Belle and Phillip having sex...but i have to say, its the best thing thats happened to this triangle in ages..Finally the ante has been upped, and something happened in this stagnant triangle..And now Hogan and Ed Scott have actually made me interested in this storyline..For so long this triangle has been pointless because its been so obvious Belle would be with Shawn, as they are supposedly destined to be together...But now the odds have been evened out..And I'm so excited for Chloe to come and shake things up even more..

The fanbases on Days are so hell bent on no one coming between their favorite couples..The fans want them to stay happily together, but still have exciting stories with no outsiders involved...But thats almost impossible to do..In real life couples cheat all the time....Couples break up and people find new partners...Other soaps tend to be more open to this, but not Days...

I can't even remember the last time we had a real affair on this show...Besides Lexie cheating on Abe, it might be when John and Marlena hooked up when she was married to Roman..

In the past, the writers (mainly JER) have been so wary of having one of their destined couples cheat on their spouses..There always had to be an underlying circumstance that led to the affair..Bo had to be near death from fumes and think Billie was Hope..Hope had to wrongly believe Bo had cheated again with Billie to then sleep with Patrick..Jack was mislead into thinking he was with Jennifer when it was really a look a like, John had to believe Marlena was dead to hook up with Kate...And Marlena had to see John hooking up with Kate to finally have sex with Roman...And lets not forget the subsex with John and Gina, with both under mind control...Well thats not really taking chances, its just creating temporary conflict and giving the person an excuse to make everything alright down the line..

But Belle and Phillip willing had sex...and the ramifications of this should be longlasting. I can't wait to watch it all unfold..finally Hogan/Ed Scott are taking some chances..
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

thereyougo

I don't think any couple that hasn't been challenged and gone through the ringer in every way possible should be above a triangle. John and Marlena have gone through every challenge possible for a couple and have come out on top so for me they're beyond triangles.

I don't find this true for other couples. I think triangles are a soap staple and if written without destroying one to pimp another it can be a great story. Phil and Belle have natural chemistry and their history makes their action believable. If they hadn't killed John off I'd watch to see where their story was headed.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I do dislike Belle and Phillip together, but all in all, I really don't care what happens within this triangle anymore. Just lost interest, I suppose. I'm not happy about Belle and Phillip hooking up simply because this means that this triangle is going to prolong longer with no ending anytime soon, so it seems. They keep going around in circles.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I think the only reason that I don't like this storyline is that I feel like there is a ton of rewriting to try and make it work. If we didn't have the past history of Philip/Belle, maybe I could believe that she had these unresolved feelings for Philip and is confused on who she really loves. But the whole time they were married, Belle wanted to be with Shawn. And Philip knows how to play Belle's guilt and does it every time.

This story isn't working for me because it is completely changing the character of Belle from the past. She blamed Shawn for going on the run where the person that was the reason for it was sitting next to her. And really the only difference I see between the two guys is that Philip has money and Shawn which only makes me see Belle as chosing Philip for materialistic reasons.

I see nothing wrong with breaking up pairings and not sticking to the super couple thing. I get that and have no problem with it. If they wanted to make a challenge for Shelle, I think they could have done it without character destruction. They could have broken them up without turning Belle into a lying slut. This is just reminding me too much of Liz/Lucky/Jason on GH and I can't stand Liz because of all of this. The only thing that is different is that at least Belle regrets it. Liz walks around like she was the victim and did nothing wrong while she lies about the paternity of her child. If Belle gets like that there will be no redemption for her in my book.

I will say that at least this triangle is now focusing on the competition between Shawn/Philip where it originally started years ago. That part was sort of lost when it started to focus on Shawn/Belle/Mimi. BB and JKJ also brought a new dynamic to this feud that had been missing so I do enjoy them with the storyline. A JKJ's Philip is a 100 times more interesting to watch even if I want to knock him out myself. I just don't like that I don't even recognize Belle anymore. To me the daughter of John Black would be much stronger than what we are seeing with Belle.

Actually with Chloe coming back, I kind of wish they would dive into the Philip/Chloe relationship again. I always liked them more than Brady/Chloe. Don't really want to see a quad going on like we have in the past with Austin/Carrie/Sami/Lucas.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Jinxed Soul
Oct 26 2007, 09:49 PM
I do dislike Belle and Phillip together, but all in all, I really don't care what happens within this triangle anymore. Just lost interest, I suppose. I'm not happy about Belle and Phillip hooking up simply because this means that this triangle is going to prolong longer with no ending anytime soon, so it seems. They keep going around in circles.

That is another reason I don't like this. Because I really want this to end one way or another. Now I just think it is going to get dragged out longer. <_<

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

cubsgirl
Oct 26 2007, 07:58 PM
But the whole time they were married, Belle wanted to be with Shawn. 

This is where the brilliance of this story is (besides the fact that it's Belle, product of an affair, having an affair). Maybe this is just who Belle is, she wants who she's not with. That's how I interpret it, and that's what I enjoy about it because it makes Belle interesting. She's not a total bitch, she's not pure, she's got a major flaw, that's really neat, like Kev was saying in his original post. And it's this character flaw that's a driving force in the storyline (yeah, there's the grieving daughter thing too, but that didn't start it).

It's the only storyline that feels like a complete, functional story to me. Which disturbs me because I've resented these characters for a long time, since they came on and bumped everyone else to the side.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

px780
Oct 26 2007, 10:17 PM
cubsgirl
Oct 26 2007, 07:58 PM
But the whole time they were married, Belle wanted to be with Shawn. 

This is where the brilliance of this story is (besides the fact that it's Belle, product of an affair, having an affair). Maybe this is just who Belle is, she wants who she's not with. That's how I interpret it, and that's what I enjoy about it because it makes Belle interesting. She's not a total bitch, she's not pure, she's got a major flaw, that's really neat, like Kev was saying in his original post. And it's this character flaw that's a driving force in the storyline (yeah, there's the grieving daughter thing too, but that didn't start it).

It's the only storyline that feels like a complete, functional story to me. Which disturbs me because I've resented these characters for a long time, since they came on and bumped everyone else to the side.

Not going to get an arguement from me about character flaws and Belle being brought down a peg or two. My favorite character is Shawn D and he is a walking character flaw. But I still watch him because I am waiting for the day when things do go his way.

Yeah maybe this is Belle's flaw that she doesn't know what she wants and/or she wants what she can't have. I guess to me I just see this character doing a complete 180 like Sami has. I use to watch Sami knowing she was scheming because you knew at some point it was going to blow up in her face yet still cheered for her. I don't even recognize Sami anymore.

I think this storyline might work for me if they do focus on the flaw of Belle and actually show her with regret for what happened and see the character grow from it. I never felt they dealt with the way Belle strung both Shawn/Philip along before and she getting all preachy with Shawn about the Willow stuff (and stupid as he was then, she didn't have right to hold it against him because they were not together as a couple when he was with Willow). She was constantly sneaking behind Philip's back to be with Shawn. She was emotionally cheating on Philip. I just don't buy that Belle had these deep down feelings for Philip and feel like what she did was guilt for treating the way she did when they were married and feeling like she pushed him away when the Claire stuff came out.

I do hope you are right in that this does turn into a character driven story and not just a story where they string fans of both pairings along giving each a little bit. Focus on telling a good story and get to the character layers. Don't just make it about Belle jumping from one guy to another...and please don't add another baby.

Ponz
Member Avatar

I'm not a fan of adultery on soaps. The apex of the triangle is almost always made to look fickle and self-absorbed while the *victim* appears foolish and pathetic. Affairs make for great drama but they also sacrifice alot in terms of rootability. I agree that this one works because it's driven by a central flaw in Belle's character. That's one of the reasons I've never invested in Belle or any of her pairings. She has an inherently faithless personality.

sungrey

Amen, Cubsgirl. I'm a huge, huge Shelle fan but even I have to admit the stakes have been raised with this story. Boy, did Hogan and Ed open up a huge can of worms with this.

It will be very interesting where this goes. Like I've said before and Cubsgirl just said on the board, NO who's the daddy storyline. We've just been through this with EJ/Sami/Lucas and not only that, we have an ongoing drama with Phillip and Shawn over Claire.

I loved Thursday's episode with Hope reading Belle the riot act, and I REALLY loved the fight scenes (and never cross Caroline when she's carrying a stick like that).

My only advice to Days -- shake the fanbases up a bit, but don't piss them off to the point where they bolt. You just killed off a 20-plus year veteran in order to shake up storyline, and the Nielsens aren't the strongest.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

:cheers: I agree! The Phelle sex has sucked me back into a triangle I lost interest in TWO years ago. Ed is the man...The sex was hot...JKJ and MM have awesome chemisrty...WE know this secret will be revealed to Shawn...but now the mystery is WHO will blab...WHEN will they blab...And WHERE will they blab...I CAN NOT WAIT FOR CHLOE TO SHOW UP!!! I think Chloe is going to take down Belle.

My feeling is TPTB have realized how DOA Shelle is...BB was a bad cast choice. He and MM have no fire between them. I think the intention of the sex was to make Belle the villian. People on boards are hating Belle right now. If PEOPLE hate BELLE they will be happy when Shawn dumps her. This is the perfect opportunity for TPTB to put Phelle together and open the door for a CLAWN or SHLOE union. I bet TPTB see chemisrty between BB and Nadia and want to use it.JMO

DramaKing
Member Avatar

Belle has been in love with Shawn since they were about 16. The two of them against the world. They were the next John/Marlena & Bo/Hope... in everyones minds in town.

Then Shawn started to fuck up. The Jan thing first, but others as well. All this time who was there for Belle? Philip. Phil & Belle have always been friends. Then it became something more and as much as shelle fans want to discredit it, it became something real and adult - something shelle never had.

Then they went back to Shelle and painted Philip into the bad guy. However Philip lost the woman he loved, he lost his daughter, so he ran. When he came back he was tough and mature and adult, something Shawn has yet to do. He went afrter his daughter. And yes it was extreme, however if he was her biological father no one would be saying he went to far. And fact is Philip IS her father. He loves her, he cares for her, she the same for him.. and he has raised her.

Belle & Shawn actually started to become a mature adult couple - then enter Willow - and from that point on the fact that belle got back with shawn annoyd me.

However Belle & Shawn once again becma e a real honest couple. It was perfect. However, You could tell all along by Belle helping Philip she cared about him and had feelings for him still.

Belle is a young woman in conflict. She on one hand has her first love, this epic romance for the ages, the father of her child, the man she always saw herself with. Then she has this other guy. her ex husband. her 2nd love in life. her adult love. the man she thought she was the father of her baby. Add to all that confusion in her head the fact that her father just died, the fact that shawn is still prety much a teenager with no life and going nowhere and philip can give her the world. whats a girl to do? Belle really is torn between two men. the man everyone wants her to have and she feels she should be with, Shawn. and the man no one wnats her with but she still wants - and needs, philip.

The affair scenes were so perfect and well done. It just happend. One thing led to another and bam. they were going at it. Belle wanted it just as much as Philip. and HATE this "he used her. he playd off her emotions" argument. bulshit. did u see her undress herslef and him? she wanted it.

Made even better by the fact that hope is now prettymuch blackmailing her into staying away from philip. perfect.

I honestly, am not a big fan of any JKJ BB or MM. And i really dont like belle shawn or philip - but this triangle is by far one of the must complex and real situations on soaps today.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree. The stakes have been upped and that was needed. Phelle has chemistry and they sold me on the possibility that they could be a long-term couple. Days has struck gold with this because now human emotions are involved and that is what makes good drama and story. This triangle was ok but now it's just compelling IMO because it's about characters. It's being driven by past events and emotions. What happened earlier this year with Philip doesn't bother me because I think that rage was driven by going through what he went through and I still think Victor put planted alot of seeds while he was taking care of him in that room. Nearly dying on the boat during the storm and nearly losing Claire snapped him out of it. Sure, he still has that scheming bone in him but he's not irrational anymore and his motivations are clear.

This is my favorite story right now and it has so much potential. I can't wait to see how it goes, especially with Ed Scott here.

King
Member Avatar

ITA, Kev. It is a great storyline.

I am obsessed with MM and BB. I am such a Shelle fan. But I am intrigued to see where this will go. I also can't wait for Shloe.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 27 2007, 12:22 PM
It's being driven by past events and emotions. What happened earlier this year with Philip doesn't bother me because I think that rage was driven by going through what he went through and I still think Victor put planted alot of seeds while he was taking care of him in that room.

I wish they would deal with this aspect of Philip. Because I think there are reasons and layers for this starting with his parents, to what happened in war to what happened with Claire. I wish they could have created some storyline for Philip where he is going against his father and finally standing up for himself with his father.

Speaking of Chloe, I don't know if I really want to see a Chloe/Shawn pairing. Maybe if she does come back with the edge they are talking about she will be a different character and maybe I could see the pairing. But the last time Chloe was on she was constantly whining about her face after the accident and constantly need reassurance from Brady he still cared about her no matter what. After dealing with constantly having to prove him feelings to Mimi, being dragged around by Belle and psycho Willow, I don't know if I want to see Shawn paired with another woman that he constantly has to bend over backwards for to prove himself. I am waiting to see what the character is like before I will say bring on a Chloe/Shawn pairing.

But like everyone else is saying, this storyline definitely has people talking online and gotta give ED and Hogan credit for going this way just the way they did with John's death. Now if they could inject something into this EJ/Sami/Lucas pairing maybe those ratings will slowly climb up.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

King
Oct 27 2007, 02:43 PM
ITA, Kev. It is a great storyline.

I am obsessed with MM and BB. I am such a Shelle fan. But I am intrigued to see where this will go. I also can't wait for Shloe.

Me too Mike..I just love the idea that with Hogan and Ed its very possible that we might get Shawn and Chloe together..Remember how refreshing it was when Mimi and Shawn first got together..How most of us loved that coupling, then JER had to ruin Mimi because Shelle was destined to be together..

I'm just ready for this shawn and belle are destined to be together crap to be over...I'm ready for things to be shaken up a bit...

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

cubsgirl
Oct 27 2007, 03:14 PM
Now if they could inject something into this EJ/Sami/Lucas pairing maybe those ratings will slowly climb up.

How about a short stint on the backburner? that would be nice...And very fair to the rest of the cast, who at times has been on the backburner this year..

King
Member Avatar

Well, I hope Shelle ends up together in the end, but in the mean time, I want Phloe to cause some hell for them. If you told me five years ago with Storms and Cook in the roles, if I would have loved Shelle so much...LOL.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I'm trying to think back, but didn't Chloe and Phillip end off on poor terms? Didn't she begin having a thing for Brady, and then eventually left Phillip for him?

I'm just contemplating the possibility of both Phillip and Shawn being intrigued by Chloe.

King
Member Avatar

I remember them having a goodbye at the Kiriakis Mansion when JKJ first enrolled in the army and was shipped away.

I'm not sure if Kyle Brandt's Philly and Chloe had any scenes?

settler1
Member Avatar

Jinxed Soul
Oct 27 2007, 07:56 PM
I'm trying to think back, but didn't Chloe and Phillip end off on poor terms? Didn't she begin having a thing for Brady, and then eventually left Phillip for him?

I'm just contemplating the possibility of both Phillip and Shawn being intrigued by Chloe.

I was wondering the same thing how did Phloe end things? on bad terms? I am starting to like Phelle but I don't know if Chloe is gonna be a threat? Maybe they will have Chloe/Shawn plot against Phelle or something

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply