Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Belle and Phillip; Finally a real affair on this show...
Topic Started: Oct 26 2007, 08:30 PM (1,091 Views)
SpiritualJunkie

The Shawn/Belle/Philip triangle is pretty much the only thing that I'm intrigued by on Days right now. Not much time right now but I'm glad that the Days writers have stopped grasping at straws trying to keep their ideal supercouple together and finally taken some risks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

SpiritualJunkie
Oct 27 2007, 07:48 PM
The Shawn/Belle/Philip triangle is pretty much the only thing that I'm intrigued by on Days right now. Not much time right now but I'm glad that the Days writers have stopped grasping at straws trying to keep their ideal supercouple together and finally taken some risks.

The interesting thing to me is that they've done less to/with these characters than others and yet the story pops. It's weird.

And it really is amazing what recasts can do for the characters.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

cubsgirl
Oct 26 2007, 09:58 PM
I think the only reason that I don't like this storyline is that I feel like there is a ton of rewriting to try and make it work. If we didn't have the past history of Philip/Belle, maybe I could believe that she had these unresolved feelings for Philip and is confused on who she really loves. But the whole time they were married, Belle wanted to be with Shawn. And Philip knows how to play Belle's guilt and does it every time.

I agree with everything you said cubsgirl about rewriting the history of Belle's feelings for Phillip and Shawn to try to make this work, although I admit with last week's developments I'm more intrigued in the Shellip triangle than I've been in ages and I used to loathe it as much as I do Ejamicas right now *cough* detailed in this week's column *cough*.

It's annoying that they are rewriting the nature of Belle and Phillip's marriage and they are portraying her this fickle when in the past she was always about Shawn and it simply makes no sense that she would be after Phillip for his money when as John Black's daughter she should have a pretty fat inheritance going her way.

The main reason I can forgive the rewritten history and enjoy this storyline though is because I don't care about Shawn D. enough to feel bad for him and I have no emotional investment in Shelle since Jason Cook left the role while since JKJ was brought back to the role of Phillip (I liked Phloe better than Broe and always thought JKJ was cute but never could enjoy Kyle Brandt in the role because I had developed dislike for him based on his Real World season) I find myself more sympathetic to Phillip's feelings on things.

Oh I used to care, but it's been down hill for both Shawn D. and Shelle for me since nuShawn's first order of business following finding out that Claire was his daughter was destroying Max and Victor's personal property, abandoning Belle and his child so he could play house with some ex-hooker he picked up off the street and then stupidly taking a job as a DiMera goon while his father and everyone warned him about it.

I didn't like that they never made Shawn suffer any real consequences for his behavior toward Belle when she gave up her marriage for him but he didn't dump Willow until he realized she turned psycho. Thus I'm finding a lot of enjoyment now that Shawn can't get in the police academy where I don't think he belongs anyway and I'm enjoying seeing him cuckolded so now he knows how Phillip felt having his wife stolen away and how Belle felt seeing him with Willow. It actually allows me to find Shawn D. more sympathetic that he is having this happen to him to tell you the truth. I suppose it also helps that I felt like the whole time that Phillip had roid rage they were destroying the potential of the characters of Phillip and Willow to try to prop Shelle the same way I see them often using Kate and EJ to prop Lumi.

Because, as befitting my name, I am quite contrary, I resent it when writers do this and so when I don't already have any investment in a couple or character and I see them doing this sort of stunt to try to manipulate me into liking that couple or character more and whitewash their icky history, my instinct is to go against the grain and like the "wrong" couple.

Now some Shelle and Lumi fans may feel like they are just doing the same thing to manipulate people into liking Phelle and EJami and whitewashing those couples' icky history, and while I see some truth in it, in both those cases I feel more like they are righting a wrong that they did against EJ and Phillip sabotaging those couples' chances with their Jan-April handiwork more than propping them when they allow EJ and Phillip to look like less than evil. Of course, I don't expect fans of Shelle or Lumi to see that the same way.

Finally, I like this triangle more because MM did such an awesome job portraying Belle's grief during John's death and funeral that I care about Belle again and I'm kind of in her corner no matter what.

It even has me actually interested in a potential Phillip/Belle/Shawn/Chloe quad, believe it or not.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Oct 27 2007, 09:02 PM
I remember them having a goodbye at the Kiriakis Mansion when JKJ first enrolled in the army and was shipped away.

I'm not sure if Kyle Brandt's Philly and Chloe had any scenes?

Chloe and Brandt's Philip had scenes when he first came on in May 2003. It was around the time Nadia left for the first time. She came and saw him at his base and then he was there when she sang to Brady at The Blue Note before leaving Salem. He also had scenes with her during her Christmas 2003 return that lasted into early 2004. I think they had interactions after that but nothing as notable.

They were civil with each other but Brady and Philip weren't at first until the mission to rescue Philip in 2005 during that God-awful Iraq story.

settler1
Member Avatar

I sometimes wonder if the writers decided to change the story because they saw the chemistry after the Phillip recast. I sorta watched the first version of Phelle with the other Phillip and while he was nice looking I thought they were a dud as a couple. I understood while she was pining for Shawn I guess. Even though I don't think there is much chemistry there with the new Shelle like the old Shelle. But if I think of the Phelle marriage with JKJ in the role, I just don't think I would buy into Belle pining away for Shawn. It would take some creative writing for me to buy it.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Oct 27 2007, 10:52 PM
The main reason I can forgive the rewritten history and enjoy this storyline though is because I don't care about Shawn D. enough to feel bad for him and I have no emotional investment in Shelle since Jason Cook left the role while since JKJ was brought back to the role of Phillip (I liked Phloe better than Broe and always thought JKJ was cute but never could enjoy Kyle Brandt in the role because I had developed dislike for him based on his Real World season) I find myself more sympathetic to Phillip's feelings on things.

Oh I agree that JKJ Philip is 1000 times more interesting than KB's (My friend and I never referred to him as Philip but Kyle from the Real World).

I didn't mind the crap the writers had Shawn do after finding out about Claire. Just before JC left (and no fault of his own, but the writers) Shawn put himself on a pedestal that everyone who "wronged" him was beneath him. So the Willow crap...stupid as it was...brought the character off his pedestal.

Like I said in my other post if this story is about the characters and we see them grow for it, then I think it could be a good story. But if it is just going to be going back and forth between each pairing, then I don't want to see that. Still a bit nervous to see where this going because in the past they haven't given me much hope for character written stories. I will say MM impressed a ton during John's funeral so I am interested to see how she handles Belle during this storyline.

sungrey

King
Oct 27 2007, 06:00 PM
Well, I hope Shelle ends up together in the end, but in the mean time, I want Phloe to cause some hell for them. If you told me five years ago with Storms and Cook in the roles, if I would have loved Shelle so much...LOL.

I want to see Shelle together in the end, too... and I'd hope Hogie doesn't forget Phillip had a major hard-on for Chloe at one point. That alone will make this story very interesting.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I believe Shawn and Belle will end up together sometime far far away from now. They are going to undergo a lot of turmoil, kind of like Carrie and Austin before they finally have their happy ending.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply