Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
BREAKING: Blackwell leaves SOAPnet!; Frons to oversee day-to-day operations.
Topic Started: Oct 30 2007, 12:10 PM (744 Views)
bellcurve
Unregistered

Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797498...egoryid=14&cs=1

Blackwell departs SoapNet post
Exec to continue as consultant for rest of year
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER
Blackwell

SoapNet general manager Deborah Blackwell is departing her post effective immediately but will continue as a consultant until her contract expires at the start of next year.
Departure comes following Disney-ABC Television Group's decision last year to unite ABC Daytime, Buena Vista Prods. and SoapNet under one roof.

Under the restructure, Blackwell will not be replaced. Instead, Disney-ABC TV Group prexy of daytime Brian Frons will handle SoapNet's day-to-day operation.

"With the recent changes to the group, changes which ensure SoapNet's continued viability, it just seemed like the best time to move on," Blackwell said. "We went from being this feisty startup into being now a successful channel, and it felt like time for a new challenge for me."

Under Blackwell, the channel has grown in distribution to more than 67 million homes and has secured rights from NBC and CBS -- in addition to sib ABC -- to run same-day soap episodes. Channel has also acquired off-net primetime skeins such as "One Tree Hill" and "The OC" (and before that, "Melrose Place," "Beverly Hills 90210" and "Dallas"); SoapNet has also extended its stable of original programming -- including its first-ever scripted entry, a spinoff of "General Hospital," and reality entry "The Fashionista Diaries."

"When we first started the channel, it was just replays of ABC soaps," Blackwell said. "But we wanted to create a brand that's young and hip and relevant to today's viewers, and I think we very much succeeded in doing that."

Frons said Blackwell has "built a strong foundation and successfully positioned the channel for future growth."

"Her influence can be measured in distribution gains, original programming, acquisitions and the strength of SoapNet's brand," he said.

Blackwell said she's on the lookout for her next gig and prefers to stay in cable, though she won't rule out a new-media job.

"The plan is to look around for an exciting new venture," she said. "I've been changing jobs every four or five years my entire life; this is the longest I've ever been at any job."

Before SoapNet, Blackwell headed up the Internet startup MyHome.com; she also spent several years heading up TV movie and miniseries packaging at the William Morris Agency.
Quote Post Goto Top

bellcurve
Unregistered

I'm not surprised...

With the exception of, probably NIGHTSHIFT and Y&R, SOAPnet is so far down the tubes. The ratings for all the soaps are steadily declining and its really not the fact that the soaps are replayed at night that the numbers are low. It's the fact that Frons and the talentless staff at ABC Daytime are running the soaps into the ground.

With Blackwell leaving, I wouldn't be surprised if they stripped their daytime acquisitions of all their airings. Love her or hate her, I think she understood what fans wanted and expected from that channel.

I guess we can ALL look forward to more Fashionista Diaries and probably Laguna/The Hills announcements.

SOAPnet's purpose should have never been rerunning primetime dramas or airing reality shows(which is what has killed the genre in the first place).

I'd like to see SONY or CBS hire on Blackwell as an executive in charge of launching a traditional soap channel for them. SOAPnet needs that competition.
Quote Post Goto Top

dawn9476

Good for Deborah Blackwell. If I was demoted for the likes for Frons, I would leave, too.

Quote:

I guess we can ALL look forward to more Fashionista Diaries and probably Laguna/The Hills announcements.

The N has rights to The Hills and Laguna. And since The N is splitting into two channels, I don't see The N giving up those rights.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Come to CBS, Deborah Blackwell! You can stick it to Frons there!

This is a huge loss for SoapNet, Blackwell really cared for the traditional daytime drama. I expect more reality crap on the network as well.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

This is hardly a surprise, since Soapnet has turned into one big joke with no punchline. Good for Blackwell for taking her name off of such crap.

Rather than The Hills & Laguna, I see Felicity and Popular in our future.

Oh.....and I fucking miss Another fucking World!

dawn9476

juniorz1
Oct 30 2007, 01:33 PM
This is hardly a surprise, since Soapnet has turned into one big joke with no punchline. Good for Blackwell for taking her name off of such crap.

Rather than The Hills & Laguna, I see Felicity and Popular in our future.

Oh.....and I fucking miss Another fucking World!

I miss AW, too. Deborah was so proud of SN getting that show. Then that stupid idiot Frons had to take it away.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

Thank god she came to her senses and is leaving SN. I'm proud of her. SN went down the toilet once AW was taken off the lineup

dawn9476

NavJLee8785
Oct 30 2007, 01:46 PM
Thank god she came to her senses and is leaving SN. I'm proud of her. SN went down the toilet once AW was taken off the lineup

It's so stupid because there is room for it in the line up. They don't need two airings of OTH and The OC.

Ridge
Member Avatar

Urg... I hope SN doesn't remove [soaps] from its lineup. I'm really enjoying the network right now.

Mason
Member Avatar

SoapNet has been garbage ever since Frons took over. Frankly, I'm surprised Blackwell's stuck around as long as she has since he got there. Unlike Frons, Blackwell understands what soap fans want and tried to give it to them while at SN.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar

She was even the one who suggested they make a SOAPnet 2 so that way, they could show classic soaps, and classic episodes of current shows. I doubt we may even get that.

dawn9476

Mason AKA Hogan
Oct 30 2007, 03:58 PM
SoapNet has been garbage ever since Frons took over. Frankly, I'm surprised Blackwell's stuck around as long as she has since he got there. Unlike Frons, Blackwell understands what soap fans want and tried to give it to them while at SN.

TV Exec's have contracts, too, right? She probably had to wait till her contract was up to quit.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar

dawn9476
Oct 30 2007, 03:41 PM
NavJLee8785
Oct 30 2007, 01:46 PM

It's so stupid because there is room for it in the line up. They don't need two airings of OTH and The OC.

No, they don't...or all those airings of Dallas. What was the point?

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I'm waiting for this announcement:

Deborah Blackwell replaces Barbara Bloom as President of CBS Daytime.

Let's hope it happens guys!

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Oct 30 2007, 04:12 PM
I'm waiting for this announcement:

Deborah Blackwell replaces Barbara Bloom as President of CBS Daytime.

Let's hope it happens guys!

I'm more waiting for, "Blackwell outs Latham from Y&R"

As far as The N is concerned, I didn't know that the channel was splitting into another network??

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

NavJLee8785
Oct 30 2007, 03:15 PM
I'm more waiting for, "Blackwell outs Latham from Y&R"

OR

Blackwell cleans house at CBS Daytime - Latham, Goutman, Passanante, Wheeler, and Kreizman are OUT!

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar

PLEASE, Alvin!
Don't give me false security! LOL
That would be wonderful, tho

Mason
Member Avatar

dawn9476
Oct 30 2007, 03:07 PM
Mason AKA Hogan
Oct 30 2007, 03:58 PM

TV Exec's have contracts, too, right? She probably had to wait till her contract was up to quit.

You're correct, but what I'm surprised about is that Frons didn't just fire her.

kserox10

Not surprised.

She had a vision for the soaps but Frons just doesn't. :angry:

Mason
Member Avatar

kserox10
Oct 30 2007, 05:59 PM
Not surprised.

She had a vision for the soaps but Frons just doesn't. :angry:

Oh, he has a vision alright, but all it involves is horny teeny boppers and violence, violence, violence. There's his vision, and if you don't like it, you must be living in a nursing home. <_<

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply