Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
HUGE NEWS: Former Head Writer returns to Days!; OH HELL NO!
Topic Started: Oct 31 2007, 11:36 AM (5,699 Views)
px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Mason AKA Hogan
Nov 1 2007, 07:49 PM
But the thing is, Hogan WAS all of that before he started writing on DAYS (and actually, he still was even in his first few months on the show). That was before he started working under Ken Corday, the man who never knows when to keep his nose out from where it doesn't belong. Now I'm not saying all of the bad stuff we've seen hasn't had anything to do with Hogan, I'm perfectly aware that it has and it still does. However, what I am saying is that I know Hogan CAN do better than this. Why hasn't he? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

I choose to believe Hogan just sucks at this show. The alternative for me is either that he's not into it and so he's there only for money, or that he's too weak to step up and assert himself over Corday (seriously, whose side would NBC & Sony take at this point).

On Langan vs. Higley: is there really a quality difference; or is that Langan was there for years and had more time to build his resume of crap?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Mason AKA Hogan
Nov 1 2007, 09:49 PM
Ridge
Nov 1 2007, 09:09 PM
Mason AKA Hogan
Oct 31 2007, 10:35 PM
You know, I would almost be very amused if Hogan were out as HW and Dena was back in. THEN I bet there wouldn't be quite so many people complaining about Hogan's writing! :lol:

LOL, it would just be one non-writer to the next. So the complaints IMO would be paralell.

Before joining DAYS, Hogan had this wicked rep. (I never saw ATWT), and it gave me the impression that he was opinionated and stood for what he wrote for, he wrote well and stood by it. Nothing he has written represented that at all. He's writing with his tail between his legs.

But the thing is, Hogan WAS all of that before he started writing on DAYS (and actually, he still was even in his first few months on the show). That was before he started working under Ken Corday, the man who never knows when to keep his nose out from where it doesn't belong. Now I'm not saying all of the bad stuff we've seen hasn't had anything to do with Hogan, I'm perfectly aware that it has and it still does. However, what I am saying is that I know Hogan CAN do better than this. Why hasn't he? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

How do we honestly know that Hogan is better than that. The whole time he was at ATWT it was widely rumored that he was greatly helped out by his co-headwriters esp. in the first year which was considered by many critics to be his best year at ATWT. I believe it was Carolyn Culliton maybe that was rumored to be highly responsible for helping him out.

And now we are supposedly having rumors that Meg evidently is doing more at Days than just being co-headwriter.

I still want someone to talk about why he was fired and then brought back working way under Jean Passanante. That has been so hushed that rumors aren't even out there. What did Hogan do to force him to be fired and demoted after winning 4 Emmys.

There was some great stories at ATWT during his tenure. I would love to think he was responsible for at least some of that and deserved the Emmys. But so far nothing he has done at Days even comes close except for the Victor hiding Philip and the custody trial. That was brilliantly done for a story. His stuff with John and Marlena was good but it was still in the early stages and didn't qualify as a real story. I consider the custody stuff a good story - well balanced with Victor and Kate involved and then it just went screwy when they went on the run. But for a few weeks there it was brilliant.

Just the more he works at Days the more I am prone to believe the rumors that his co-workers carried him at ATWT.

Mason

I do think Hogan's run on ATWT (and to a lesser extent, DAYS) was greatly affected by his writing teams. Yes, Hogan's first year on ATWT was unquestionably the best. But even after Culliton left and Passanante came on, the show was still very good (IMO) until about 2003. I do believe he has a good vision for story. I just don't think he's very good at the execution, unfortunately. Kind of like JER (sometimes), ironically.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

:( I small part of me was hoping this thread was about JER. lol.

But, Higley? eh....I don't care. I mean, she sucks at writing soaps, but I don't hate her as much as Sheffer (She's right behind him though). I guess one reason I don't care much is because I've lost the ability to care about anything that Days does. :lol:

jcar03
Member Avatar

Nelson Branco who writes for TV Guide Canada says a DAYS spokesperson refuted the story about Dena being the new co-head.

Should we trust him? Or is DAYS not ready to go public yet.

daysfan
Member Avatar

jcar03
Nov 4 2007, 05:48 PM
Nelson Branco who writes for TV Guide Canada says a DAYS spokesperson refuted the story about Dena being the new co-head.

Should we trust him? Or is DAYS not ready to go public yet.

I'm not sure how exactly reliable TV Guide Canada is.

As much as I wish it wasn't true I think it is. The boards like SON, the DR, etc. etc. are always the ones to break news first.

kserox10

I still cannot believe they hired Dena back!

Dena will start off GREAT then start to get crappy!

Mason

Unfortunately, I tend to believe it, since it's coming from SON. Much as I wish it weren't true. :(

King
Member Avatar

I think it's true too.

As shocking as it was, it is SO something Corday would do.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Perhaps they were in talks? SON didn't say Dena-baby signed a contract. That could mean they were intalks, Corday read the message boards, saw the fan outcry and decided to go another way.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Yeah, but that would mean Corday actually acted sensibly about something - and that simply cannot be.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply