Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Strike Update from DAYS and GH Writers; spoilerish
Topic Started: Nov 9 2007, 08:24 PM (925 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Friday, November 9, 2007
Strike Update from DAYS and GH Writers
Tom Casiello ("Days of our Lives")

When last we left our heroes... I had left Marlena in quite a precarious position, and the countdown to a showdown began, as the Bradys and DiMeras all individually were heading to the same place at the same time...

And what will happen?

I have no idea. And I don't know if we ever will.

I'm sure everyone reading this as been overloaded with news segments and blogs re: the writers strike. You know the details, and if you don't, well they're certainly easy to dig up on the web. (www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com)

I understand and completely support my union, which is something I haven't always been able to say. But in this case, I believe they're in the right, and the AMPTP is trying to screw us.

But having said that, I feel alone this week. For the last eight years, I've spent much of my work week getting into the minds and hearts of various fictional characters. Some have stayed with me over the years, and I still check in with them time and again, as they left their mark on me and I miss putting words in their mouths. For the last year and a half, though... I've had my dream job. Characters I knew like the back of my hand... families I grew up with on my TV screen... and a love for my job that I've never really had until this point. Salem has truly become a second home.

Now my week consists of Q&A meetings, picket lines, my couch, and a bunch of video games (Guitar Hero, anyone?). It's only Day Four, and I miss Steve and Kayla, and Bo and Hope, and I'm nearly foaming at the mouth to dive into the big conclusion of the DiMera/Brady story. And I can't. I'm not even allowed to find out what happened with the Christmas episode I worked my ass off on a few weeks ago. Any phone call could elicit gossip, whispers of "scab", and "Why does a writer want to see it?"

You know why I want to see it? Because I care about how it turned out. Because I want to know the show will be good. I want to write more than anything, but right now... I just want to make sure our show is in good hands. And the sense of urgency we've been trying to build comes to real fruition - a smashing conclusion that we can all be proud of. And that's now been taken out of all of our hands. And I can live with that... what's proving difficult is putting Salem on hold for so long. I don't know who the residents will be when... or if... I return.

David Goldschmid ("General Hospital")
I've been walking the picket line for four days now and I still find other writers walking with me who are stunned when I tell them my show is being written by scab writers *as we speak.* Primetime and feature writers don't have to worry about this problem. But we do; we soap writers are the first/worst to suffer in this awful strike that will (hopefully) benefit us all. I just wish the rest of the writers in other parts of the entertainment industry knew how badly we daytime scribes were getting screwed for them...

And as for former Disney CEO Michael Eisner, who just yesterday called our WGA strike "stupid?" He can sit and spin on a lead pipe, for all I care! What's so "stupid" about trying to safeguard my future?? Eisner and his billionaire studio head cronies are trying to keep unions out of the internet - which is conveniently the future hub for ALL entertainment. These greedy studio heads aren't satisfied being richer than Midas; they're trying to become richer than God.

http://welovesoaps.blogspot.com/2007/11/st...gh-writers.html

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

I LOVE what the GH writer said about Eisner!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Blah blah blah. Blah pity me blah blah I love these characters and know them yet most internet chatter is about how unrecognizable they are blah blah blah. Blah blah our fair share- what's a hairdresser? oh, they can't work on closed productions either? Blah blah internet blah blah no real revenues yet but maybe blah blah blah I want my cut.

Whatever. Strike away, I hope you lose, and I hate y'all for making me feel support for big-ass media corporations even when I believe they're all making the world a worse place to live.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

px780
Nov 9 2007, 08:38 PM
Blah blah blah. Blah pity me blah blah I love these characters and know them yet most internet chatter is about how unrecognizable they are blah blah blah. Blah blah our fair share- what's a hairdresser? oh, they can't work on closed productions either? Blah blah internet blah blah no real revenues yet but maybe blah blah blah I want my cut.

Whatever. Strike away, I hope you lose, and I hate y'all for making me feel support for big-ass media corporations even when I believe they're all making the world a worse place to live.

Have to respectfully disagree with you. I fully support the WGA because why write if you're going to end up not having anything to show for it? Why let the corporate bigwigs make all the money off of something you created?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ahhh, DAMN! Sounds like Days will be leaving off on a major cliffhanger/climax. Damn, damn!!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Just as long as DAYS comes back after the strike, I don't care how it's left off.

jcar03
Member Avatar

People think the scab writers are going to be so much better for any show they uses them. They are not. These people don't have loyalty to their own professional they are not going to have loyalty to the show they will write for. Those shows will probably be worse in the ends. Ridiculous plots, dragging out of storylines, changing random things.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Damn what that DAYS writer said made me look forward to watching... and now the end of the sl might be all fucked up because of writers coming in that don't know anything about what they were planning.

I have a question since they are picketing... are they even aloud to say what direction they were planning to go with a sl? I am just curious if they are aloud to give any kind of direction to the people who would take over until the strike is over.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

OneBadKitty
Nov 9 2007, 07:01 PM
Have to respectfully disagree with you. I fully support the WGA because why write if you're going to end up not having anything to show for it? Why let the corporate bigwigs make all the money off of something you created?

If they were creating it, I'd give it to them. Well, them and the people who select the music, especially on tv. I just read an article the other day that mentioned all the caterers, hairstylists; etc. who are out of work with this and won't get any upgrade so...what little sympathy I had is gone.

As for why write: because it's who you are and you can't not do it, and you're one of the lucky few who gets to get paid something for expressing yourself and embracing your passion as a career instead of as a hobby.

Still, I respect that they have the right to strike.

As far as Days with a cliffhanger: when was the last real cliffhanger on the show? Seriously, I can't imagine it will be all that serious, unless they intentionally set one for this eventuality.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I was confused reading that whether this means they have scab writers who are going to continue things and the DOOL writers weren't able to write what is going to happen from this point or they are just going to leave a big cliffhanger and pick things up when the strike ends but that hour of DOOL is going to be replaced with something else for several months.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

jcar03
Nov 9 2007, 10:18 PM
People think the scab writers are going to be so much better for any show they uses them. They are not. These people don't have loyalty to their own professional they are not going to have loyalty to the show they will write for. Those shows will probably be worse in the ends. Ridiculous plots, dragging out of storylines, changing random things.

I read on Snark's blog that this time they're hiring real soap writers as the scabs, but doing everything in their power to protect them and offer them post-strike positions. In past strikes not all soaps have suffered, as mentioned before, Another World improved so much in 1988 that the strike writer took over and is STILL a well respected soap writer. Ryan's Hope also improved during the 1981 strike, which recently played on SOAPnet.

If we don't have scab writers, soaps will be pulled off the air. Do you honestly think soaps can survive 5 months to a year, completely off the air?! This strike will get them nothing, but could hurt them the most. I respect everyone working to keep the soaps on air.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I understand what you are saying, px780. The writers are striking but the result right now is the thousands of production staff and crew out of work because of shows being forced to shut down. That's the part that I hate.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

jcar03
Nov 9 2007, 10:18 PM

You cannot say that they are not loyal to their profession. This has nothing to do with their prefession. Writers are not on strike. The WGA is on strike. If writers were on strike then anyone who is a writer of a book, an independent film, anything would not be writing. This is the WGA union that is striking. The Writers Guild of America. Not every TV writer is a member of that union. Some are not even allowed to be members of the union.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

px780
Nov 9 2007, 10:28 PM
OneBadKitty
Nov 9 2007, 07:01 PM

If they were creating it, I'd give it to them. Well, them and the people who select the music, especially on tv. I just read an article the other day that mentioned all the caterers, hairstylists; etc. who are out of work with this and won't get any upgrade so...what little sympathy I had is gone.

As for why write: because it's who you are and you can't not do it, and you're one of the lucky few who gets to get paid something for expressing yourself and embracing your passion as a career instead of as a hobby.

Still, I respect that they have the right to strike.

As far as Days with a cliffhanger: when was the last real cliffhanger on the show? Seriously, I can't imagine it will be all that serious, unless they intentionally set one for this eventuality.

I hate what this strike is doing to the soaps, but I totally support the guild in this. Then again I almost always support unions. I belonged to one when I was an intern at a company and made more money and had more time off than I do now in a non-guild position at my current employer.

But the way I see it, it's not the guild's fault that the caterers and makeup artists and all these other people are out of work IMO. It's the fault of the corporations refusing to offer residuals to writers for what they create. Sure the ones in the guild are the "lucky few" who get to write for TV shows which all of us think would be an awesome job, but they also have to live in very expensive cities, many make guild minimums and some only have the opportunity to work 22 weeks a year.

Still, even if I did not support this current strike I think I would sympathize with the DOOL writer who blogged as he has to support his fellow writers in the union, but as a soap writer for a show that isn't being distributed online and DOOL isn't going to be sold on DVD, he may not have very much to gain from this strike but oh so much to lose.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I support the guild but I hate what this is doing to everyone else.

Having said that, what was mentioned about Days sounds AMAZING!! I hope the strike doesn't fuck it up. This must be what Corday meant by the climax of the story at the end of fall. He said it would be the best shows they have ever done. If the strike does fuck it up, that would just be Days' luck because it seems like the show just can't catch a break. Preemptions, lack of network support, budget, interference,, etc. It sucks, really. I hope it doesn't mess up Christmas either. I think they will be ok though because it seems they have everything set on paper through January.

It also makes it sound like Days may be on through the strike so maybe we are getting scabs too. Anything to keep the soaps on works for me.

Mason

It would be DAYS's luck for this damn strike to happen just before the show really catches fire and screw everything up.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

PhoenixRising05
Nov 9 2007, 10:46 PM
It also makes it sound like Days may be on through the strike so maybe we are getting scabs too.  Anything to keep the soaps on works for me.

How do you support the guild and want scabs to keep soaps on?

Part of their goal, as in any strike, is to deprive you of what you love so that you put pressure on the studios to settle it. They don't mind killing soaps to get their internet revenues & an increased cut of DVD sales. But if you want scabs...

(I'm not trying to pick on you here, I'm just wonderin')

Also, seriously people- Days is not about to catch fire. Let's not get carried away here. They couldn't write before the strike, and they didn't, like, get serious about it right before walking off the job to get more money.

Mason

Excuse me for being optimistic...

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Mason AKA Hogan
Nov 9 2007, 11:07 PM
Excuse me for being optimistic...

I just don't want people to be disappointed by high expectations, yo.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Quote:

I'm not even allowed to find out what happened with the Christmas episode I worked my ass off on a few weeks ago. Any phone call could elicit gossip, whispers of "scab", and "Why does a writer want to see it?"

You know why I want to see it? Because I care about how it turned out. Because I want to know the show will be good. I want to write more than anything, but right now... I just want to make sure our show is in good hands. And the sense of urgency we've been trying to build comes to real fruition - a smashing conclusion that we can all be proud of. And that's now been taken out of all of our hands. And I can live with that... what's proving difficult is putting Salem on hold for so long. I don't know who the residents will be when... or if... I return.

It sounds like the scabs are already writing DAYS too, and we will see their work Christmas week.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply