Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Strike Update from DAYS and GH Writers; spoilerish
Topic Started: Nov 9 2007, 08:24 PM (941 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Aw, man. They better not fuck up the Christmas episode of Days.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

px780
Nov 10 2007, 01:02 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 9 2007, 10:46 PM
It also makes it sound like Days may be on through the strike so maybe we are getting scabs too.  Anything to keep the soaps on works for me.

How do you support the guild and want scabs to keep soaps on?

Part of their goal, as in any strike, is to deprive you of what you love so that you put pressure on the studios to settle it. They don't mind killing soaps to get their internet revenues & an increased cut of DVD sales. But if you want scabs...

(I'm not trying to pick on you here, I'm just wonderin')

Also, seriously people- Days is not about to catch fire. Let's not get carried away here. They couldn't write before the strike, and they didn't, like, get serious about it right before walking off the job to get more money.

I know where the guild is coming from but, on the other hand, I don't want my show to suffer because of all this. That is what I meant. If that means using scabs, so be it. I know it sounds weird but I guess I am torn between both ends. I want the guild to get a good deal but I want my shows to be ok too, if that makes sense.

As for Days catching fire, to me it already has. Most of the shows stories have kicked up a notch but, then again, I like the whole show and am one of the few who can tolerate Lucas/Sami/EJ providing something happens with them. When nothing happens, I get annoyed. I am always optimistic about the show because, otherwise, I have no reason to watch without the hope that each day will be better then the last. Even if a show is going good, you still want it to hook you each day so you hope it's better each and every day.

I gather that the scabs are helping Days out with the scripts that already were written. That sounds like the case, especially for the Christmas episode, and that the scabs will take over full duties when the show runs out of scripts. It as reported Days was written into January so that is the way I think it is going.

I like what the GH writer said too about daytime writers getting screwed for primetime writers.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2007, 01:47 AM
px780
PhoenixRising05
It also makes it sound like Days may be on through the strike so maybe we are getting scabs too.  Anything to keep the soaps on works for me.

Part of their goal, as in any strike, is to deprive you of what you love so that you put pressure on the studios to settle it. They don't mind killing soaps to get their internet revenues & an increased cut of DVD sales. But if you want scabs...

Also, seriously people- Days is not about to catch fire. Let's not get carried away here. They couldn't write before the strike, and they didn't, like, get serious about it right before walking off the job to get more money.

I know where the guild is coming from but, on the other hand, I don't want my show to suffer because of all this. That is what I meant. If that means using scabs, so be it. I know it sounds weird but I guess I am torn between both ends. I want the guild to get a good deal but I want my shows to be ok too, if that makes sense.

As for Days catching fire, to me it already has. Most of the shows stories have kicked up a notch but, then again, I like the whole show and am one of the few who can tolerate Lucas/Sami/EJ providing something happens with them. When nothing happens, I get annoyed. I am always optimistic about the show because, otherwise, I have no reason to watch without the hope that each day will be better then the last. Even if a show is going good, you still want it to hook you each day so you hope it's better each and every day.

I gather that the scabs are helping Days out with the scripts that already were written. That sounds like the case, especially for the Christmas episode, and that the scabs will take over full duties when the show runs out of scripts. It as reported Days was written into January so that is the way I think it is going.

I like what the GH writer said too about daytime writers getting screwed for primetime writers.

This is just a hunch but I am guessing that PR and PX have different definitions of "catching fire."

But I do agree with you PR that the GH writer made a salient point as far as daytime suffering so primetime can benefit.

I have a question for y'all though about what Tom Casiello does. Isn't he a breakdown writer? I still don't really understand what that it is and how it relates to the script writer so does this mean that as breakdown writer if he was working on the Christmas epi he would give out like this outline for it but it would be scabs who are writing the script? Just wondering how that all goes down.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Nov 10 2007, 02:15 AM
PhoenixRising05
px780
PhoenixRising05

This is just a hunch but I am guessing that PR and PX have different definitions of "catching fire."

But I do agree with you PR that the GH writer made a salient point as far as daytime suffering so primetime can benefit.

I have a question for y'all though about what Tom Casiello does. Isn't he a breakdown writer? I still don't really understand what that it is and how it relates to the script writer so does this mean that as breakdown writer if he was working on the Christmas epi he would give out like this outline for it but it would be scabs who are writing the script? Just wondering how that all goes down.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think he's breakdown so he probably outlines the script or does everything but the dialogue. I'm not that knowledgeable on things like that usually. The one thing I like is he seems like a writer that likes vets because he mentioned Marlena, Bo, Hope, Steve, and Kayla as his concerns.

It sounded to me like at least everything until at least the Christmas show was done because he said he worked his butt off and didn't know how it turned out. That tells me he worked on it at least. We were told Days was set up through January so my thinking, based on this, is the scabs are putting any finishing touches on pre-existing scripts or are making changes when or if necessary and that they will be writing full-time once scripts run out.

Ponz
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
PhoenixRising05

I gather that the scabs are helping Days out with the scripts that already were written.  That sounds like the case, especially for the Christmas episode, and that the scabs will take over full duties when the show runs out of scripts.  It as reported Days was written into January so that is the way I think it is going.

They don't need scabs to edit scripts already written. Those kinds of rewrites are usually performed by the producers/directors anyway. I see no indication from that blog that DAYS plans to use scabs.

Ponz
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Nov 10 2007, 02:15 AM
PhoenixRising05
px780
PhoenixRising05

The BDW divides the episode into individual acts/scenes and then sends roughly a 20 page outline to the SW, from which he/she does the dialogue. The process happens quite close together so if Casiello wrote the breakdown a few weeks ago, a regular scriptwriter would have already produced the final draft.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

I just hope the scabs or whoever is writing puts Shawn and Belle on a slow boat to China and we never hear from them. Or, better yet, make them hate each other so we never see them interacting. It really hurts to see how they ruin each other as actors.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ponz
Nov 10 2007, 10:40 AM
PhoenixRising05
PhoenixRising05

I gather that the scabs are helping Days out with the scripts that already were written.  That sounds like the case, especially for the Christmas episode, and that the scabs will take over full duties when the show runs out of scripts.  It as reported Days was written into January so that is the way I think it is going.

They don't need scabs to edit scripts already written. Those kinds of rewrites are usually performed by the producers/directors anyway. I see no indication from that blog that DAYS plans to use scabs.

This is what he said:

Quote:

You know why I want to see it? Because I care about how it turned out. Because I want to know the show will be good. I want to write more than anything, but right now... I just want to make sure our show is in good hands. And the sense of urgency we've been trying to build comes to real fruition - a smashing conclusion that we can all be proud of. And that's now been taken out of all of our hands. And I can live with that... what's proving difficult is putting Salem on hold for so long. I don't know who the residents will be when... or if... I return.

He mentioned wanting his show in good hands and not knowing who the residents will be. That suggests to me he is worried about scabs changing things too much or in a way detrimental to the show. That is why I took that as scabs being used because, if the show was simply shutting down, wouldn't he just say that I hate that Salem will be going dark or something. He would somehow say or hint at Days not airing and that isn't suggested here at all, at least not to me.

Thanks for the info on the breakdown writer's role though :) .

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Of course they are going to be worried about the scabs and try to make it appear more bleak than it is. They need to get fan support and hope that fans will complain enough to discourage the use of scab writers.

I am in full support of the writers getting what they deserve. I think the daytime writers are hurt in a lot of ways that their counterparts in primetime aren't - same for the actors. But I don't see this that they are talking about that they are being hurt here more than the primetime writers. Yes the daytime writers are facing the chances of their jobs being done by scabs on their regular shows.

The primetime writers are not facing that. But primetime will be in the hands of scab writers. Execs are planning more reality shows in their place. Well those shows are going to be written in part by scab writers. If those shows happen to be just as popular as some of the other shows. Guess what - reality shows are cheaper. None of the primetime shows are doing as well this time. If they find something cheaper those shows are gone.

Any other time I might say that the soap writers might should be fighting the use of scab writers but right now if they are smart they will try not to discourage it.

There is no way the way that daytime is hurting it can withstand a preemption of the shows that lasts for an extended period. People will find something else to watch.

And it is especially important right now that Days stays on the air in some capacity. To go off the air now, and then have to be off the air for Olympics too. NBC is going to have to wonder why in the world bring it back just to preempt it again in the summer.

And if it goes off during a strike, and gets cancelled - I think the chances of it being picked up somewhere else are lessened a great deal.

Mason
Member Avatar

In other words, DAYS is basically fucked. :(

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason AKA Hogan
Nov 10 2007, 02:51 PM
In other words, DAYS is basically fucked. :(

Which is exactly why I said it's better to have scabs. I never liked using them in the past but daytime, especially Days, can't survive a long preemption. Days would suffer the most being preempted for the strike and for the Olympics.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

If NBC pulls DAYS, I wouldn't be surprised if SOAPnet did the same. They've already been reducing DAYS' presence on the network and don't seem behind it. I could see them maybe showing reruns from the 90s, but that would have to wait until the show is cancelled.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Chris you are right. I can say this now since I have it from another source but Days is not doing well in ratings at SoapNet. I have heard from 2 sources now (one very reliable) that after the recent schedule switch SoapNet has had an increase in the 7:00/6:00 time slow while the 11:00/10:00 time slot has had a decrease in ratings. They did not give numbers - just those figures.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Y&R is probably a great anchor for the primetime lineup. I do hope that if DAYS goes away they can air classic episodes. The last two marathons have been for DAYS so I'm going to assume they get good viewers for that stuff. I can see JER's 90s work being popular on SOAPnet.

I'd love seeing Eileen Davidson, Lisa Rinna and Jamie Lyn Bauer on DAYS.

ljacks13
Member Avatar

Is it just me or has new coverage of strike lessen over the past couple of days?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply