Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soap writers cross the picket line; Variety.com
Topic Started: Nov 13 2007, 02:43 AM (844 Views)
Mason

Rick
Nov 13 2007, 02:30 PM
If they do cross the picket lines, DAYS and Y&R will no longer be eligible for the WGA Awards

Now that's just plain ridiculous.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

bellcurve
Nov 13 2007, 03:39 PM
Rick
Nov 13 2007, 03:30 PM
If they do cross the picket lines, DAYS and Y&R will no longer be eligible for the WGA Awards.

For reelz?!

Yup, Any writer who crosses the picket line or any non-WGA scab writer will be permantly banned from WGA

bellcurve
Unregistered

Would the show be permanently banned from WGA writing award eligibility?
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Rick
If they do cross the picket lines, DAYS and Y&R will no longer be eligible for the WGA Awards

Not sure about writing for the Daytime Emmy's? Do you have to be in the guild?

No you don't for the Emmys but you do for WGA Awards.

Rick, the way I understand the show will still be eligible but not that particular writer. So they would not be able to submit anything that writer wrote. I may be misunderstanding it but that is my understanding anyway. So it would seriously limit.

THat is the reason that most soaps will not even hire non WGA writers. So it is important for them to keep their WGA membership.

Sephora
Unregistered

Rick
Nov 13 2007, 03:56 PM
bellcurve
Nov 13 2007, 03:39 PM
Rick
If they do cross the picket lines, DAYS and Y&R will no longer be eligible for the WGA Awards.

For reelz?!

Yup, Any writer who crosses the picket line or any non-WGA scab writer will be permantly banned from WGA

That's not what the article says. It says if a member crosses they can be sanctioned. A union requires a hearing before ousting someone already in. If a writer can show that they would have lost their home or suffered immeasurable loss by not crossing, they can retain their membership. That's how unions are governed.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

This is the deal with financial core status for all unions:

"They keep their union jobs and all union benefits. However, since they are no longer constitutional members of the labor union, they are free from any union internal rules and regulations governing full constitutional members. They can not hold union elected office nor can they even vote on the union contract they support financially."

With that once a writer or a member of a union goes financial core status there is no guarantee they will ever be restored to full membership which means they are no longer fully protected by the union. And they can lose membership in the union after the strike is over. It will be decided by a hearing whether they will be included but it can still happen.

If a person crosses the line without taking Financial Core status when it is available. Yes they will be sanctioned but 99% of the time they are banned for not taking the legal out and just breaking the law. The government itself set up Financial Core status to protect union members back in 1963. Before that there was no protection and many union members crossed the picket line and got sanctioned. Now they have an out and Unions frown on anyone that crosses the picket line and doesn't take it. The ones who take finacial core to protect their houses are looked on better than the ones who cross without it.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Thanks for posting Steve

crc
Member Avatar
Janelle Monae is Android # 57821 aka Cindi Mayweather

Is it wrong of me to hope that they cleaned out that shyster's (LML) office permanently (and changed the locks) during this particularly sensitive time? ::evil grin::

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

crc
Nov 13 2007, 06:31 PM
Is it wrong of me to hope that they cleaned out that shyster's (LML) office permanently (and changed the locks) during this particularly sensitive time? ::evil grin::

Great minds think alike. ;) :lol:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

The guy who writes/created Scrubs interviewed that he's going to keep writing regardless building to his show's finale. I can respect that.

Here's the thing I haven't seen addressed yet, and y'all are smart so I'm curious:

Why are we assuming that the tv-internet link will get stronger and more developed, and therefore generate more revenue, over time?

If the WGA is successful, then SAG and the producers and directors will all want an increased cut of internet revenues. That makes the network profit smaller. So what's the incentive to keep experimenting with the format (with things like Coastal Drams) and with the technology to make it more functional so it can actually serve as a mass medium akin to television?

So as far as that part of it, what if they're fixated on something that never materializes the way they think it will? We're still in the experimental stages.

And I think it's still a problem more for daytime writers. It might be worth it to figure out how to increase the audience of primetime shows by streaming them online, but with the size of soap audiences...I can't see it being worth it, especially when everyone gets what they feel they deserve.

~bl~
Member Avatar

I would think that only the people who scabbed could get into trouble. What bothers me is the whole idea that people should inform on others and blacklisting could happen. WTH

I feel sorry for those who are effected by the strike that aren't writers or producers. As some people are just making a wage working on a television show whose shows have been closed down as those people don't get paid too.

With some TiVo DVRs and a home network, you can watch television programs from the web on your high definition television. An AppleTV box allows you to view purchased iTunes movies/programs in the comfort of your living room. I think they will just add more ads, or cut content or costs. Many seem to only care about the quantity of profits instead of the quality of the programming.

BL (who thinks it is a scary time for programming even without the strike with the impending switch to digital signals and what that may mean.)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply