Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Suds Report (November 26)- SPOILERS; Emmy's Change Nomination Process
Topic Started: Nov 27 2007, 01:05 PM (809 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

The Suds Report: November 26, 2007

Tom Pelphrey back on ‘GL’! ‘Days’ star’s gay stripper past revealed! Emmy Award upheaval! Robin Christopher quits ‘GH’!

*Please note: Beginning Dec. 14, The Suds Report will be posted every Friday, while weekly soap features will be posted on Tuesdays

THE BIG STORY — DAYTIME EMMY PROCESS CHANGES!
Proof that the power of the pen is still intact: although there hasn’t been an official announcement, TVGuide.ca has learned that the controversial pre-nomination system (in which a show chooses two performers to compete in each category in an effort to balance out bloc voting among shows for final nominations) has been scrapped. NATAS has posted several new updates, including online options such as member registration, Emmy reel submissions and judging, all detailed here.

The big news is that the much-maligned system will now return to the popular vote, in which any actor’s name can appear on the nomination ballot. Awards show expert, and my pal, theenvelope.com’s Tom O’Neil reports, “NATAS is revamping their entire system again. I have a hunch they relented thanks to our relentless bitching last season regarding the pre-nomination system, which unfairly saw popular cast mates snubbed, instead of worthy contenders like the unpopular Victoria Rowell [ex-Dru, Y&R]. I sent NATAS all the articles we wrote on this injustice — it appears now they are listening to us, finally.” Of course, the popular vote raises several other controversial issues, but industry and media members widely agreed that the pre-nomination system was akin to putting a band-aid on cancer, which only tainted the integrity of honouring the best in daytime and contributed to glaring omissions on the final ballot.

SUDS FLASH: THE PICKET LINE REPORT
Talks expected Nov. 26
Good news: today The Writer’s Guild is scheduled to meet with network executives regarding their members’ grievances. Meanwhile, the word from soap land is that daytime dramas are safe and will not be disrupted even if the strike continues. New episodes will still tape each day, which will be written by a mix of producers, former soap writers filling in, and a few writers crossing the picket line, which despite reports are not from Y&R. Said a soap spokesperson: "We were incensed to read the incorrect information printed in Variety, that several writers on our show sought financial core status. Our entire writing staff of 18 is united, and we fully support our union." Y&R headwriter and executive producer Lynn Marie Latham is supporting the strike, while a Sony executive is taking over the reins of the show while she pickets. Hey, at least something good has come out of this!

All My Children (A-Channel/ABC) — All about Kendall
The always gracious and classy Susan Lucci (Erica) isn’t happy about the direction of her show and is pulling an Erika Slezak (Viki, OLTL), telling Soap Opera Digest: "I really wish there were more of a balance. Just as an audience member, I like to see the show when there's a balance between the drama and the fun. It doesn't have to be in [the Kane/Montgomery] storyline, but let's see the whole canvas, you know, not just one portion 90 per cent of the time. I don't think it's great entertainment. The show is better than that." To be fair, AMC headwriters Barbara Esensten and James Harmon Brown told me they have a big story for Erica in ’08, but Lucci is correct: the soap is startlingly uneven and if I don’t see Alicia Minshew (Kendall) on screen for a while, I’ll be happy. Meanwhile, in related news, this week Jack dumps Erica! Oh, and Christmas comes early when Richie does us all a favour and asks Annie to kill him on Tuesday.

As the World Turns (Global/CBS) — Play it again, Sam; is Simon returning?
As previously reported, Emmy winner Cady McClain (Rosanna) is telling friends her last airdate on ATWT is slated for sometime in February when the heiress relapses into a coma. (Hey, Ro — don’t forget to get your frequent visitor card stamped again; your sixth coma will be free!) With a huge salary saved, ATWT is said to be in the process of bringing back sexy stud Paul Leyden (Simon) for a brief visit. On Friday, the talented Wally Kurth (Ned, GH) becomes the latest GH actor to join the CBS sudser. Expect Kit’s boyfriend, the mysterious Sam, to be paired romantically with Carly. Onscreen: Noah and Luke will hit another roadblock; Meg draws in Paul; Bob reads Chris the riot act; and Carly and Kit find themselves in trouble with Santa Claus. Also, ATWT goes on location this week when Parker’s plan to reunite the intellectually-challenged Jack and his former fiancée, Katie, hits a snag when oh-so-sexy and funny Brad literally crashes their date on an ice rink. Um, whom would you choose?

The Bold and the Beautiful (CTV/CBS) — Tylo lawsuit; Stephanie nails Donna!
Grieving Hunter Tylo (Taylor) is upgrading the malpractice lawsuit against her late son’s therapist, Shana Downing, and the facility that employs her to a wrongful-death suit following her son Mikey’s tragic drowning after a seizure on Oct. 18 in the family pool. Tylo alleges the therapist didn’t take her son’s seizures “seriously” by attributing and misdiagnosing the illness to Tylo’s dramatic divorce to his father Michael Tylo (ex-Quint, GL), and general stress. Interestingly, the entire family, sans older son Christopher, were treated by Downing. It is also alleged that Downing was using her sessions with the Tylo family to bully them into convincing Michael Tylo to drop his defamation case filed in 2005. Yikes.

In happier news, albeit onscreen, Stephanie names Donna as her shooter. (This story will only work, in my opinion, if Brooke, who is clearly suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, plugged the bullet into her nemesis, but Katherine Kelly Lang isn’t playing it that way from what I can tell so far.) Also, Ridge tries to battle the Logans (good luck!); Bridget gives good news to Nick (“I’m a lesbian, Nick!”); and Donna makes a shocking decision.

Coronation Street (CBC) – Liam: the U.K.’s sexiest man alive
Corrie Street’s on fire this week, yo. Claire’s buoyed when she meets Casey; Michelle’s engagement forces Steve’s hand; the past hitches a ride in Jamie’s cab; Sean lies to Michelle’s face about Sonny and is forced to come clean to Paula and yummy Liam; David does a favour for Tracy and wants one back in return, natch; and Liam flirts with Leanne. Lucky, girl!

Days of our Lives (Global/NBC) — Stripping scandal! A new sexual pervert in Salem!
Oh-so-pretty and recently fired Marcus Patrick (Jett) is gaining some unwanted mainstream attention: his former stripping sideline at a Los Angeles gay disco was outed by Perez Hilton last week — and if you’ve seen the pictures, you’ll understand my reaction when I saw them: “Is that an hourglass in your thong, or are you just happy to be out of Salem?” Speaking of Salem, this week Roman arrests Kate, Stefano demands to see Johnny despite Sami’s protests, Marlena admits to shooting EJ, Nick and Chelsea find evidence against Ford, and Phillip forces Belle to have sex with him for the sake of Shawn’s career. Yep, another sexual bully has landed in Salem, folks.

Eastenders (BBC Canada) — Leo vs. Darren!
This week: Billy’s hopes are dashed when Little Mo reveals her true feelings; Chrissie stirs up trouble between Sharon and Dennis; Demi and Leo’s romantic meeting is torn apart by Rosie; and Leo and Darren come to blows by week’s end!

General Hospital (CTV/ABC) — Robin Christopher to leave!
Oy! The comings and goings over at GH are giving me a headache. On the heels of Lindze Leatherman (Georgie) and Natalia Livingston’s (Emily) firings comes word that Emmy-nominated actress Robin Christopher (Skye) is telling friends she successfully asked to be let out of her contract. GH had no comment, as usual. It’s too early to speculate if Christopher will re-join AMC or OLTL as her ABC soap-hopping character Skye, but insiders say it’s unlikely. This week, Elizabeth and Jason snuggle; Luke vanishes; Sonny and Jason plot to bring down Trevor; and Michael freaks out when Johnny visits Carly.

Guiding Light (Global/CBS) — Tom Pelphrey returns!
Fans, rejoice: Emmy winner Tom Pelphrey (Jonathan) is back as Springfield’s antihero in 2008. Had Pelphrey returned earlier, he would have made my Best Actors on Soaps list. Details are sketchy at press time, but welcome back, you sexy rascal! Oh, and does this news mean the annoying ghostly appearances by Tammy will finally cease? Leave limbo, damn it — I didn’t like you when you were alive, and you’re not much better dead either, Tammy.

In bad soap writing this week: Olivia learns she’s dying; Harley searches for Phillip; Reva lectures Josh for a change; Gus is shocked by a proposal; and Cyrus kisses Harley again. Whoa — stop the presses! I’m still shocked headwriter David Kreizman won an Emmy this past year. They’ll hand those things out to anyone.

One Life to Live (A-Channel/ABC) — Jared Buchanan: the smartest man on soaps
Daytime’s best soap opera keeps giving to the fans. This week, Nigel identifies Jared Banks as Asa’s long-lost son, thanks to a nifty blackmail scheme set up by our favourite conman; Cristian and Antonio are kissed; Charlie looks for his son in Llanview (Jared?); Alex divorces David; Viki sees an old pal and continues to date Charlie. Interestingly, Viki’s vibrator goes missing.

Passions (DirecTV/SuperChannel) – Another sexual crime!
It’s full steam ahead for super-couple Luis and Pretty when Alistair kidnaps them. The rapist offers them their freedom on the condition that they have sex, so Pretty can get preggers! Headwriter James E. Reilly really needs to get laid, people! Also, this week: Theresa allows Jane to be the donor; Spike accuses Sheridan; Paloma catches Noah and Fancy in bed; and Alistair taunts Sheridan about Marty.

The Young and the Restless (Global/CBS) — Another court scene alert!
Now this could be an interesting showdown: Victor and Nikki head to court to determine which life should be saved — their daughter, Victoria, or her unborn baby. And that’s all I care to mention this week. That, and Emmy winner Billy Warlock is back as someone I think is named Ben or something, on Nov. 29 and 30.

MASTER CLASS: THE BEST OF THE BEST
OLTL’s Ron Carlivati, Robin Strasser, Tuc Watkins, Phil Carey, Peter Bartlett, Tonja Walker, and John Brotherton
Daytime super-scribe Ron Carlivati effortlessly hit another homerun out of Llanview this past week as the dysfunctional town headed to Texas for the reading of Asa’s will, while Todd and Blair arrived in Paris, Texas, where Marci and Viki are hiding out. Not only were the entire week’s episodes gloriously and impressively written once again (seriously, Ron, teach a course now!), the future Emmy winner boldly and courageously broke one of the cardinal rules in daytime: keep your characters in one town.

Instead, Carlivati carved out new and exciting backdrops without losing the show’s sense of community, while he had almost his entire canvas traversing through America in highly entertaining and memorable storylines. Our note to other headwriters thinking of trying this: don’t; only a master can achieve this Herculean stunt with success and aplomb. Carlivati has simply been a gift to the television art form — and has proven he can do anything he puts his mind and heart into (wanna try doing my taxes, Ron?).

Other than the viewers, the acting cast of OLTL are the big winners of Carlivati’s masterpieces. Standout performances included Robin Strasser (give her another Emmy!) and Tuc Watkins (don’t leave!) having sex after David and Dorian spied Nora kiss Clint, who then pointed a rifle at the bare-chested hunk; every moment soap’s best newcomer John Brotherton (Jared) graced the screen; the sizzling debut of sexy-as-hell R. Brandon Johnson (Chuck); and Peter Bartlett’s magical work as Nigel Bartholomew-Smythe, who is finally getting the screen time this respected thespian deserves when the surly butler kidnapped Alex to prevent her from spilling the paternity beans.

Good luck picking out your Emmy reels, folks, because I wouldn’t want to think let alone attempt trying to whittle down your best work down to just two episodes. Next week, OLTL continues to capture our imaginations when Carlivati unveils a brazziliant plot twist rooted in perfect karma and history: Jared blackmails Nigel into revealing him as the long-lost Buchanan heir, who is really David. Astute OLTL viewers know that David arrived in Llanview years ago impersonating the long-lost Lord Heir, who turned out to be Todd Manning. Karma, served up hot and delicious — just the way I love to savour it.

I’m not sure what Carlivati’s romantic status or sexual preference is, but I’ve got to admit: I have a serious, mad crush on this soap God. Methinks my boyfriend John Brotherton (Jared) won’t be too happy about this — but there’s enough of me to go around! Don’t worry, readers: my therapist assures me that these delusions are healthy.

SOAP MALFUNCTION: RANT OF THE WEEK
OLTL needs a new opening, stat!
Memo to executive producer Frank Valentini: My only problem with OLTL is the opening credits. They need to go, like yesterday, because this “corporate” montage sticks out like a sore thumb, effectively soul-murdering the beauty that headwriter Ron Carlivati brings to each episode. If you do it before the end of the new year, I’ll set you up on a date with Soap Opera Digest’s Carolyn Hinsey, especially if you were to resurrect Peabo Bryson’s addictive theme song with a modernized version of Wayne Fitzgerald’s opening title sequence. Tempting, huh?

TOP 5 SHOWS TO WATCH
1. One Life to Live
2. The Bold and the Beautiful
3. Coronation Street
4. As the World Turns
5. The Young and the Restless

TOP 5 ACTRESSES TO WATCH
1. Susan Flannery (Stephanie, B&B)
2. Robin Strasser (Dorian, OLTL)
3. Crystal Chappell (Olivia, GL)
4. Tonja Walker (Alex, OLTL)
5. Alley Mills (Pam, B&B)
tie — Nadia Bjorlin (Chloe, Days)

TOP 5 ACTORS TO WATCH
1. Tuc Watkins (David, OLTL)
2. John Brotherton (Jared, OLTL)
3. Peter Bergman (Jack, Y&R)
4. Wally Kurth (Sam, ATWT)
5. Peter Bartlett (Nigel, OLTL)

TOP 5 COUPLES TO WATCH
1. Dorian/Alex/David, OLTL
2. Jack and Erica, AMC
3. Katie and Brad, ATWT
4. Victor and Nikki, Y&R
5. Noah and Luke, ATWT

Published: Monday, November 26, 2007
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Oh great so Rowell and others complain and we go back to the old system that never worked. It was way more unfair than the current Pre-Nom system. That system favors shows with larger casts so there goes shows like GL and B&B or PSNS ever having a chance at anything.

And the other shows vote their friends or the more popular name actors than they do people they deserve. How do you think people like Julius LaRosa and Uta Hagen got nominations in years past. People from other shows knew their names and wrote their names down.

This is terrible news. I was hoping if they made changes they would revamp the process for a new one - not just revert to the old unfair one.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Soaps like Y&R, GH, AMC, and ATWT will dominate like hell if the old system is in fact back...

They should've created an all new system, one which could be considered fairer when compared to the previous two...

Mason
Member Avatar

Both systems totally suck, IMO, so I'm indifferent to that bit of news.

And PLEASE, ATWT, NO MORE SIMON RETURNS!!! (unless he takes Katie with him the next time he leaves)

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

If they resort to the old way, nominees will again be determined by overall vote totals from each of the soaps. So there's no network bias for nominations because each soap is only allowed to vote for their own actors. Of course when it's time to judge the winners there's a network bias.

The old process is why Y&R, AMC & GH always dominated, because they even let their day players that were in NATAS vote. Now all the soaps pretty much have the same ammount of voters sans B&B so maybe we will see a better set of npminations this time.

Recurring, Contract, Guest Roles (At least 5 Episodes) & Previous Cast that aired during the eligibility period. (give or take a few)

OLTL - 70
AMC - 69
DAYS - 67
GH - 62
ATWT - 59
GL - 57
PSNS - 57
Y&R - 55
B&B - 40

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Both systems suck but, for me, the emmys no longer matter. Every year I get my hopes up for nothing.

I will say that the old system does give Days a better shot as it doesn't rely on the networks and Days has a large cast so this has some minor positives. Days used to do a bit better with the old system. However, I want a fair process for all and this still doesn't cut it.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

The worse part about the old system was not just the block voting as I said, but it was still only the most popular actors or actors that people were familiar with that got nominations. As I said it accounted for people like Julius LaRosa, Uta Hagen, & others who made names for themselves on Broadway and stuff to get nominations even though their roles were very small.

Plus there is no way that all the performers watch all year. They don't watch all the shows so they only vote for the ones they are familiar with. That is what the press fussed about so much under this system that it wasn't like primetime where the actors actually had a chance to watch other shows. The daytime actors work so much and such long hours they never get a chance to watch the competition - just on rare occassions.

I never liked the old system at all. It was way more unfair than the current system even though it had big problems too. And if an unpopular actress like Victoria Rowell (who TV Guide said was the big component of this going back to the old system due to her lobbying) thinks that she was shut out under this system - just wait until they go back to the old system. Actresses and actors who are not liked by their cast mates and co-workers don't get votes either. They don't if they are deemed difficult too.

Under the old system really popular actors & actresses were neglected too even though they were good. Thus the lack of nominations for an actress like Genie Francis and even though Tony Geary was nominated some during his popular years it wasn't as many times as he should have been. George Reinholt is clearly one of the Best Actors according to critics but there was a popular bias against him and he was never nominated.

They feel if they are getting the accolades from the public that is enough so they choose to spread the wealth around.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

It all depends if these casts will unify to bloc vote. Jill Farren Phelps was huge pioneer in bloc voting, and I'm sure with the switch back to the old system, GH stands to benefit the most. On every soap Jill's worked for, under the old system, she's managed to rack up a ton of Emmy nominations for cast, show, and crew. If the show's don't unify, then they really won't stand to benefit much. This was Days' problem under the old system, though they had a rather big cast, they were very divided when it came Emmy time.

And yes, lots of people have gotten wrongfully snubbed under the old system. I'm still bitter about Beverlee McKinsey not getting nominated and winning that Emmy for her tour-de-force last year on GL, when many critics believed that was finally her year to win one...

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Maybe DAYS will actually get nominated this year. If these are the last 2 years of DAYS, I'll be happy to see them get some recognition from the Academy.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 27 2007, 09:00 PM
It all depends if these casts will unify to bloc vote. Jill Farren Phelps was huge pioneer in bloc voting, and I'm sure with the switch back to the old system, GH stands to benefit the most. On every soap Jill's worked for, under the old system, she's managed to rack up a ton of Emmy nominations for cast, show, and crew. If the show's don't unify, then they really won't stand to benefit much. This was Days' problem under the old system, though they had a rather big cast, they were very divided when it came Emmy time.

And yes, lots of people have gotten wrongfully snubbed under the old system. I'm still bitter about Beverlee McKinsey not getting nominated and winning that Emmy for her tour-de-force last year on GL, when many critics believed that was finally her year to win one...

Oh I know I hated that too about McKinsey. She so deserved it.

Under the old system too you had the pernnial nominees too. There were people that got nominated every year no matter what. People got used to writing their names down and that is who they voted for.

Tammy
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Nov 27 2007, 01:05 PM
One Life to Live (A-Channel/ABC)  Interestingly, Viki’s vibrator goes missing.

Oookay am I reading this right, or am I just totally perverted :o lmao

Kenny
Member Avatar

Tammy
Nov 27 2007, 11:43 PM
SteveFrame

LoL! Go Viki, get that big O!

FC Designer
Unregistered

SteveFrame
Nov 27 2007, 01:11 PM
Oh great so Rowell and others complain and we go back to the old system that never worked. It was way more unfair than the current Pre-Nom system. That system favors shows with larger casts so there goes shows like GL and B&B or PSNS ever having a chance at anything.

And the other shows vote their friends or the more popular name actors than they do people they deserve. How do you think people like Julius LaRosa and Uta Hagen got nominations in years past. People from other shows knew their names and wrote their names down.

This is terrible news. I was hoping if they made changes they would revamp the process for a new one - not just revert to the old unfair one.

UGGH! Exactly Steve Frame! I can't imagine why anyone thinks reverting back to the old Emmy nomination process is a good idea! The fact that TV Guide Canada, and some other journalist are tooting their horns and taking responsibility for the return of this extremely flawed selection process is a head scratcher!

The old process is exactly why Susan Flannery never got a nomination for B&B for years and years! And Nelson Branco from TVGuide Canada, who thinks Flannery is the best Daytime actress, is supporting this? Hello......................

The old process was a bloc voting extravaganza and put shows with smaller casts at a huge disadvantage. This is a step back for Daytime.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 27 2007, 11:37 PM
Tammy
Nov 27 2007, 11:43 PM
SteveFrame

LoL! Go Viki, get that big O!

:lol:

FC Designer
Unregistered

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 27 2007, 01:17 PM
Soaps like Y&R, GH, AMC, and ATWT will dominate like hell if the old system is in fact back...

They should've created an all new system, one which could be considered fairer when compared to the previous two...

Agreed. Why can't they merely copy what the Academy does, or what the Primetime Emmys do? Although the Primetime Emmys have had a recent clunker win (hello Catherine Heigl!).
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

The primetime emmys are now copying the daytime awards. They have the Pre-Nom system. They felt it was a better system and adopted it 2 years ago.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply