Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Happy 30th Anniversary Jackie Zeman!; ABC gift to you is Recurring Status
Topic Started: Nov 27 2007, 10:35 PM (632 Views)
jcar03
Member Avatar

From SoapQueen89 over at SON:

Quote:

Jacklyn Zeman (Bobbie Spencer): Coinciding with her 30th anniversary on GH, Zeman has been taken off contract and placed on recurring status. "After 33 years on ABC, I was advised on Friday, November 9th that due to financial restructuring, Bobbie Spencer would have recurring statys," says Zeman. "I will continue to value my relationship with the GH fans. After all these years, many have become like family to me."

Not surprised in the least.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Not suprised, but it still pisses me off. Jackie is a very talented actress and looks good IMHO for her age (I think she's repaired the bad plastic surgery from a few years back). She should be featured at least 2 episodes per week. Bobbie's Carly's mother dammitt. Guza & Frons should be fired. Also axe Maxie, Jerry, Trevor, Johnny, & especially Spinelli & Nadine.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

You know...I said the other day I would never wish ill will on a show in the current state of daytime but telling a a veteran actress who has stood on the sidelines graciously despite being treated like shit for many years that you are dropping her to recurring (which means that she is gone, basically) as she nears her 30th anniversary is not only disrespectful but it calls for me to wish nothing but ill will for this show.

It treats it's long-running stars like shit. Sure, most of daytime does but not like this. Not with such coldness and harshness. This is a big fuck you to Jackie and her superb work over the years. I hope that so many people jump ship from this soap that nothing is left but the JPF pimp brigade of characters. I have given this show chances and keep trying to watch but no more. I'm done. I hope the ratings tank. So much of what made GH great is gone and this is another sign that they don't get it. They just don't.

Let's keep that Spinelli on contract .and make sure we add another guy to chase after our beloved Lulu so she don't get bored. GMAB GH. Go plan your next sweeps stunt. What vet or legacy character will you choose to kill off next? :soapbox: .

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I hate this too and I have been preaching it for months. I don't care what show they are on - the shows need to have more respect for their stars than this.

But Tim I'm sorry why is it that when GH or another show does this it is wrong, but for months now you have been saying that if Days does this they have too. You hate it but it was they have to do in order to survive. Days just killed off a 21 year vet and have put him and others on backburner big time all year long. There is no difference in what Days has been doing than what GH is doing.

Both are just as wrong. Just look at what Days has done to Matthew Ashford and Renee Jones so much.

Both are wrong and neither should get any slack in it. They both are wrong and should be treated as so. If you wish ill will on one you need to wish it on both.

Scott
Member Avatar

As much as I hate this and loathe the decision to drop JZ to recurring status, it was really only a matter of time. They did this to Rachel Ames a while back too. Both woman contributed soo much to the show and then they kicked them to the sidelines. My god Ames is the matriarch of the show for god sakes!!! She was the only original character/actress left and now we are left to seeing her only a few times a year, normally to pimp Liz. Zeman is a superb actress and if you need proof just look at Tony's death. I know there is a lot more proof out there, but that is the only real screen time we have seen of Zeman in the last few years. It disgusts me how a once great show can me eroding so quickly. Recently its started with the destruction of returning fan favorites, the annihilation of the once great Quartermaines and now one of a decreasing group of Veteran actors has been essentially kicked to the curb, it makes me sick!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

SteveFrame
Nov 28 2007, 01:14 AM
I hate this too and I have been preaching it for months. I don't care what show they are on - the shows need to have more respect for their stars than this.

But Tim I'm sorry why is it that when GH or another show does this it is wrong, but for months now you have been saying that if Days does this they have too. You hate it but it was they have to do in order to survive. Days just killed off a 21 year vet and have put him and others on backburner big time all year long. There is no difference in what Days has been doing than what GH is doing.

Both are just as wrong. Just look at what Days has done to Matthew Ashford and Renee Jones so much.

Both are wrong and neither should get any slack in it. They both are wrong and should be treated as so. If you wish ill will on one you need to wish it on both.

I mentioned all shows but GH has been doing this for years. Days did it to RJ and Drake Hogestyn and I don't count Matt because of the circumstances with Missy, which was wrong but still.

Days at least uses their vets. Even during the backburnering earlier this year, we at least saw them at times. GH doesn't do that. They are the worst and doing this to her on her anniversayr takes the cake. Days did not do to Frances Reid but GH did to poor Anna Lee did they? What about what GH did to Stuart Damon?

People like Drake and Renee can find work easier then Stuart or Jackie and we all know Anna can't. Not to mention Rachel Ames.

GH strings vets along for years. Years. Days did not do that to Drake. It went on for a year, as did Renee. It was never this bad like GH. Never.

Days at least has budget issues. What is GH's, who pulls out all the stops during sweeps, excuse? Where does the sweeps money go? Why can't they use that money to keep there vets?

I won't cut GH any slack. You may think I am showing favoritism but I'm not. I acknowledged other soaps do it too but GH is the worst. They started their pimping of certain characters and scuttling of vets years before Days and well before anyone else. What they are doing now by killing Emily and now Georgie is even worse. They are killing history and destroying all remnants of what made the show great.

Sorry, Steve. They can crash and burn for all I care. At least the other shows still hold on to some part of the past. This show does nothing but set out to destroy it all so I stand by my post. I'm through with GH. JFP is killing another show and it's disgusting.

Also, it's my opinion so if I want to wish ill will on the show, I will. Look around at other boards. Many are doing the same thing.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

That's right Phoenix. You can do whatever you want. Overlook all of Days faults and wish whatever you want on another show. You can throw up Days budget problems all you want, but Days has no one else to blame for their budget problems but Days. They can't blame NBC for that one. They put themselves where they are at. I am so tired of hearing all the excuses you state for why they are there. It is no one's fault but the shows and Hogan Sheffer's and Ken Corday's. If they had kept the stories interesting the ratings would have never plummeted this year. If they get cancelled it will be totally at the hands of those 2.

And I never said that what GH does is right and I don't make excuses for them for it. I am able to love my show and admit it's faults. You should try it sometime instead of making excuses for them or saying well at least it is not as bad as what someone else does.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It's not making excuses, Steve. It's what I feel and I will state what I feel.

I know Days put themselves in their predicament but NBC helped out too, especially this past year. However, facts are facts. They have an issue that GH doesn't and that is where it differs. It doesn't matter who put them there. They are there. I don't overlook faults. I point out Days faults when I feel like it. I just don't prefer to focus on the negative all the time.

Go to some other boards and people are responding the same way and some of these people are people just like me. They defend their shows like I defend Days. I used to love GH but they are the worst when it comes to this stuff. All of ABC is so don't try to make it sound like Days and the CBS soaps are in the same league as ABC because they have not treated their vets nowhere near as bad as ABC and especially GH have.

I also don't appreciate the tone either.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

WEll I am sorry if you don't appreciate the tone. I did not do anything that violated the rules of the board. I did not attack you. I just said what I had to say in a negative tone.

And as far as what others are saying I don't care either. It really doesn't matter to me. As I said I am not giving GH slack because they don't deserve it, but I also don't give anyone else slack - even ATWT my favorite show. What is the difference in putting them on recurring and not ever giving your vets any story. Days and ATWT have been doing that for years. Just look at the disgraceful way Days has treated Bill & Susan Hayes and Suzanne Rogers for years and years and years. Look at the way ATWT has treated Eileen Fulton and others for years and years and years.

None of them have nothing to be proud of. And no one show is worse than the other.

And you can feel that way all you want too. But I get so tired of the hypocritical attitude that is always thrown at GH. People fuss at them for these things and saying they only produce good stuff 3 months of the year when the very shows they (like you) defend on a daily basis is only good for 3 months of the year (even if that) and treats their vets the same way. Yes that is what it is HYPOCRITICAL. They make excuses for their own show when it is their own show's fault that they are run by people who are too stupid to realize if they do something special to lure viewers in for sweeps then they might get more money for their budget too. It is not fair that the sponsors only look at certain months, but it is the way business is. You get your numbers up those months so that you do stuff the next year. Days has not realized that for years now.

And as far as your statement you can preach all you want that you don't like to focus on the negative. You need to start stating the truth that you don't like to focus on the negative if it is something you like. I have heard you for months on end on this board and SON state the constant negative about Drake Hogestyn because you didn't like what he had to say. And if you ever give another show besides Days the benefit of the doubt or a compliment it is very rare - almost a once in a blue moon thing. Sorry if you don't like that but it is the truth.

Well all I have to say is if you do not want people to be negative about Days you should extend others the same courtesy and not be negative about their favorite show. Practice what you preach buddy.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I care more about Days then I do other shows. My comments about the show are usually positive because I don't feel like getting into the negative. Others do that for me so I just don't feel like doing it. What I say about Drake is separate from what I say about the show because it's about someone on that show, not about the show itself.

I know they all do it and it isn't right and I have a right to comment how I want. I don't have enough time in my day to comment on every single show, that is why you don't see me offer opinions on other soaps often. I find something to enjoy in most soaps, except for GH and AMC right now. It's just Days is the one I have watched the longest so I tend to overlook things a bit more. It doesn't mean I don't see the flaws. I just choose not to comment on them. I will at times but that is rare. It in no way means I am excusing them and I don't see why that is a problem.

I give GL the same slack as Days. Why? Because they have a budget issue too. Did they put themselves there? Yes. Both soaps did. But that is the situation and that is what they have to deal with. I know who is to blame but my focus is on the show and those on it and that is why I give them slack and choose not to deal in the blame game. My point was very consistent with many others and that is that GH and ABC have been the worst as far as vets and that is why my attitude and the attitude of others is far more extreme then other soaps who also do it but it has not gotten nearly as bad yet. You bring up Suzanne Rogers and Bill and Susan Hayes but at least they are used when they should be used for family events and stuff. That isn't always the case on GH and other ABC soaps the past few years.

I won't get into whether the way I and others treat GH is hypocritical. What I and many others don't understand right now is why the money they get from sweeps can be better spent on the vets. In regards to sweeps, other soaps do it but they don't it up big and I applaud them for that. I, personally, don't want to see balls and explosions every damn sweeps. It become redundant and that is what happened to GH this sweeps and is why the rating was a disappointment. I appreciate the way Days and B&B handled sweeps and even Y&R. Y&R focused on a family dilemma. I may not like the whole story but it's better then some stunt. B&B and Days went with a shooting mystery. I enjoy those types of sweeps stories better then these big events that GH does that end up forgotten a week after they conclude.

Maybe I need to start posting about other soaps so you can see that I do cut others slack too. If I find the time, I will. I still don't think there is a need for such a hostile tone. We can debate this respectfully and I am sorry if you are upset about hypocrisy but you shouldn't take that completely out on me. I feel the way I do and it isn't going to change. Call it what you will but I'm not changing and I'm sorry if you don't like it. You don't break any rules but I just don't think there was a need to be so hostile. That's all. Sorry if you feel differently.

kserox10

Ugh.

2 words.

Not Surprised. <_<

Scott
Member Avatar

Alright guys lets get back on the topic of Jackie Zeman and being royally screwed by GH, please.

~bl~
Member Avatar

This sucks a lot. They stopped using Jackie a long time ago, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make me angry. I'm having sympathy pains for her long time fans. I know how it is to watch favorite performers be first screwed out of story and then out of a regular gig.

It is the main reason I hate TIIC collectively. They feel like they can do what they did to Jackie. Put someone on the back burner for years, and no one will care if they see the person again. Ironically, decisions like what happened with Jackie seem to be part of the reason for the erosion of viewers. Disgruntled fans of veteran performers get bored and leave, but they leave with a whimper not a bang. If you aren't on-line doing soap stuff or read the magazines, you may never know that people you enjoy are gone for good. You just turn it off or watch less due to boredom.

Budget issues IMO are not an explanation, but are now used as an excuse. The shows have screwed up priorities and spend money on people/things that are not needed. So even if GH has more money than other shows, I'm not going to be more pissed at them than Days or GL. They all treat veteran actors like shit and take them and their fans for granted acting as though we don't exist.

Right now GH is higher up on the hate list, as they've been doing the most dicking around lately. If losing Stuart Damon and Jackie Zeman in a 12 month period is someone's breaking point, well I get that. I'm beyond POed how SOD put the story that killed Alan as one of the bests of the year. WTH And I got nearly sick seeing Bobbie this week after the news.

I found it interesting how Jackie said she wants to continue having a relationship with the viewers. The only positive thing for me was that this bad situation gave me a memory flash from day camp in elementary school. My art teacher mentioned how she looked like someone in soaps and it happened to be Jackie. Oddly enough that's one of my first memories having to do with GH. So again, the soaps take a way a bit of my history.

ETA: My first real memories of Bobbie other than her being the nurses' station was when she was with Tony though I was no longer in elementary school at that point. Nowadays I can't see a pairing where the two characters fall in love after being best friends for years.

BL (who doesn't like when history is taken away, bit by bit and hopes Jackie finds another gig. Back in the day, she was one of the most recognizable people on ABC SIGH.)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply