Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Carson Daly to defy writers strike
Topic Started: Nov 28 2007, 04:18 AM (753 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

The Associated Press

NEW YORK - NBC’s “Last Call with Carson Daly” is about to become the first late-night talk show to defy the writers strike and resume production.

Daly, who is not a member of the Writers Guild, will begin taping new episodes of his Burbank-based show this week for airing next week, an NBC spokesperson confirmed Tuesday.

The half-hour “Last Call” airs at 1:35 a.m. ET weeknights, but whether Daly’s first new episode would air next Monday or Tuesday was initially unclear. No guests were disclosed.

“The Writers Guild of America, East joins our colleagues of the Writers Guild of America, West in expressing our profound disappointment with Carson Daly’s decision to return to work,” the guild said in a statement that also commended other late-night talk show hosts for showing solidarity with their writers. “We thank them and hope that Mr. Daly will reconsider his decision, including the soliciting of scab writers to provide material for his program.”

Daly is not the first talk-show host to go back into production. Ellen DeGeneres, who is a member of the union, has continued taping her daytime syndicated talk show after shutting down the first day of the strike. But “Last Call” becomes the first to break ranks among the late-night shows, which all had chosen to air repeats rather than tape new shows without their striking writers.

It was unclear what effect, if any, the return of “Last Call” would have on other late-night talk shows, which include NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and “Late Night with Conan O’Brien,” CBS’ “Late Show with David Letterman” and “Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson,” and ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” Comedy Central’s late-night news-and-commentary spoofs, “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” and “The Colbert Report” with Stephen Colbert, have also been in reruns.

There was no immediate word on when any of those shows might follow suit and return with new episodes.

On Monday, contract talks with the studios resumed for the first time since movie and TV writers went on strike Nov. 5. The Writers Guild is seeking more money for material distributed over the Internet and cell phones.

Linked
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Does anyone watch Carson Daly's show anyway? I guess if he is not a member of the writer's guild I don't see as much wrong with him resuming production as what Ellen is doing, but I wish he would wait if the strike is supposed to be resolved soon.

And dammit I really hope it does get resolved soon if only for the fact that I want to see the Daily Show and the Colbert Report skewering the presidential race again.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Sorry, but I support Carson and Ellen. Probably the latter more, because she's using no writers -- this article suggests Carson's using scabs. That's different. But again, the WGA should NOT penalize non-members or even members who are hosts of a show that employs a LOT of middle class people who live from paycheck to paycheck and CANNOT afford NOT to work. I'm sick of this strike and I'm sick of the WGA'S self-centered attitude. STrike, that's fine, but don't cause shit just because others don't show some perceived "solidarity."
Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Is his show even still on? LOL.

Mason
Member Avatar

King
Nov 28 2007, 02:13 PM

Kind of makes you wonder who he's been screwing, doesn't it...LoL

King
Member Avatar

:lol:

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Mason
Nov 28 2007, 03:15 PM
King

LOL! Yeah, it does. His show sucks! He is weird looking now too.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I'm going to get pounced on for this, but I'm so sick of this strike. It's annoying and inconvinient. That sounds very selfish, but it's how I feel. Why are the writers picking now to strike? Things have been the way they are for YEARS and it just now turns into a strike? The whole thing is ridiculous that a writer can't even write if they WANT to.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Oh please! Even legendary Johnny Carson went back into production. The comedy bits of Carson's show are the worst part. Originally he just did interviews which was MUCH better. He just isn't funny.

I still don't see why these other hosts can go out there and wing it. How untalented are they? Up and coming comedians dont have a bloody headwriter and team of writers to do all their bits. Even Marie Osmond had a writer for Dancing with the Stars. This is ridiculous to me.

Kenny
Member Avatar

psychofan
Nov 28 2007, 08:01 PM
I'm going to get pounced on for this, but I'm so sick of this strike. It's annoying and inconvinient. That sounds very selfish, but it's how I feel. Why are the writers picking now to strike? Things have been the way they are for YEARS and it just now turns into a strike? The whole thing is ridiculous that a writer can't even write if they WANT to.

I think the reason that the strike is happening now is because the last contract ended, and they were negotiating a new contract. They couldn't do anything until the previous contract had expired -- then they could demand changes in the new agreement.

Since those demands weren't met, a strike was the result.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Angie79
Nov 28 2007, 03:36 PM
Mason
Nov 28 2007, 03:15 PM
King

LOL! Yeah, it does. His show sucks! He is weird looking now too.

No shit!

Before:

Posted Image

Before/After:

Posted Image

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Kenny
Nov 29 2007, 02:56 AM
Before:

Posted Image

Before/After:

Posted Image

Those before and after pics are sad, and it makes me wonder if he even realises how freaky he looks now........Posted Image

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Wow those pics of him are awful.

I've might have stayed up late a night or two on the comp with his show on in the background, and his show does really suck. For me it's a combination of both his peronality and the piss poor writing. He comes off as very cocky like 99.99% of the time.

Mason
Member Avatar

He didn't even look that great to begin with, IMO, but now...wow!

Kenny
Member Avatar

MichaelGL
Nov 29 2007, 11:17 PM
Wow those pics of him are awful.

I've might have stayed up late a night or two on the comp with his show on in the background, and his show does really suck. For me it's a combination of both his peronality and the piss poor writing. He comes off as very cocky like 99.99% of the time.

Yeah, his show is dreadful. His personality is less exciting than dust.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

into_the_skyline
Nov 28 2007, 09:32 PM
Oh please! Even legendary Johnny Carson went back into production.

Well for some of the hosts it's the principle of the thing, believe it or not.

Like Conan O'Brien, for example, got his start as a writer for SNL and The Simpsons so it would make sense if he felt strongly about this strike even if he's rich enough to survive without the concessions the writers are striking for now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply