Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Carolyn Hinsey on Emily's Death
Topic Started: Nov 29 2007, 03:31 PM (382 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I don't understand why soaps kill young core characters. Sure, it can provide a dramatic payoff, but they rarely play it past whatever sweeps month they're in, so what's the point.

I just watched Emily Quartermaine die on General Hospital, the only remaining young member of a major family. So GH went to all the trouble to create the character, have Alan and Monica adopt her, and even get us to accept a recast just to murder her as a sweeps stunt. And they won't even get the impact of her loss because she will stick around as a ghost, making her the second member of her immediate family to haunt someone.

Why not put Emily in a coma? You get the same band for your buck - family mourning, Nikolas's guilt, Emily appearing to him - without killing a young, beautiful girl who fans cared about. You know Emily's death means? In six months, GH will have to introduce some sudden relative (I'm guessing a never-mentioned younger sister of Sonny, Ric or Patrick) to pick up the slack in the 20-something romance department and it will take years for fans to care about her. It's all pointless, particularly when you consider that Emily was murdered after Ric got stabbed ('speared like a cocktail onion" as Luke described it), Alexis got apprendicitis and Luke had a heart attack. It was anticlimactic - and our beloved Emily deserved better than that.

I don't love that Guiding Light killed Tammy, either, but at least they continue to play it in Cassie's through line. It almost explains her psychotic devotion to her bratty sudden son, Will. Since when two little kids fighting and trying to fool their parents for an hour story? Talk about paralyzing.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I agree with some of what she says, but at the same time I am loving the Nik and Em scenes with her appearing back to him. I haven't figured out yet if she is a ghost or just an aborition (sp?). Today's scene of them dancing and her telling him he would never hurt her was just so touching. Reminded me a lot of the movie Ghost.

Jonatha

SteveFrame
Nov 29 2007, 03:33 PM
I agree with some of what she says, but at the same time I am loving the Nik and Em scenes with her appearing back to him. I haven't figured out yet if she is a ghost or just an aborition (sp?). Today's scene of them dancing and her telling him he would never hurt her was just so touching. Reminded me a lot of the movie Ghost.

I agree with you Steve and I'm loving the 'Ghost' thing between Nic and Em. I'm loving it! I think Natalia is going to be around (contract wise) until the early spring. I think we'll be seeing more of these romantic and sweet scenes between the two of them. Tyler is blowing me away with this. Damn, I love that guy.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I think it is a good way to save money too. GH is being smart here. They got the impact of the death and then doing a great romantic story with Emily & Nick too by using her until the end of her contract.

Just imagine if Days had done something like this with John & Marlena. It could have been a great romantic story with John by Marlena's side while she seeks vengeance for his death. I mean they are apparently paying Drake until the end of his contract - so why not use him in some capacity. Instead they are just wasting the money.

BradyDiva06
Member Avatar

I agree with the writer. I don't see why they killed off Emily. They are pretty much getting rid of the whole Quartermaine family. I love all the Q's so this angers me. I think they could have put her in a coma and done the same thing like the writer said. I don't think they can afford to keep killing off main characters or characters that have been on the show for years like they are doing right now. Sooner or later the core families in the town won't have much of a younger generation to build off of. Right now the Q's just have Jason and Dillon. Dillon isn't on the show anymore. Jason doesn't even acknowledge his family most of the time.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

But that is the thing, GH has never been a core family type show. All the others have but GH hasn't. Even the Hardy's were never a core family. GH has always been about certain characters and over the years those certain characters have changed and changed to the point that the old central characters have been written out over and over.

First it was Steve, Jessie, Audrey & Phil, but they were all either written out or backburnered by the late 70's. Then the Webbers came in there but they have been gone for years. The Quartermains have come and gone for many years now. Tracy was even off for a long time.

On another show the killing off of legacy characters is noticed more because there are central core families but that has never really been the norm on GH.

BradyDiva06
Member Avatar

I agree to a certain extent that GH hasn't been a core family show. But to fans that have watched the show for many years. They get used to these characters and families. When you keep killing off characters from these families they have grown to love it will create backlash. When I go on GH boards so many fans complain about they are sick of the mob drama. They want to see the families that hooked them to the show like the Q's, Scorpios, Cassadines, and Spencer's.

GH is keeps killing off characters in major families. These families have one or two characters then left on the show that they showcase then. The problem is they aren't bringing in any other new families to carry the torch. Most of the new characters that they bring in they have trouble developing them or they are killed off for the next sweeps stunt. You get interested and invested in them and then you barely see them. They have done it with Cooper (3). He was on all the time at first and you wondered will he ever be exposed for the Metro Court disaster. Now you barely see him. It seemed like they were going to have him have roots in Port Charles by having his last name be Barrett. Making many fans believe he is related to Brenda but they drop it.

I don't think that it's smart of GH to keep killing off so many characters from families that have been on the show for years. The last few sweeps they have killed of characters from major families. Georgie, Emily, Alan, A.J, and Courtney. I feel like it will bite them in the butt in the end.

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

BradyDiva06
Nov 30 2007, 12:22 AM
I agree to a certain extent that GH hasn't been a core family show. But to fans that have watched the show for many years. They get used to these characters and families. When you keep killing off characters from these families they have grown to love it will create backlash. When I go on GH boards so many fans complain about they are sick of the mob drama. They want to see the families that hooked them to the show like the Q's, Scorpios, Cassadines, and Spencer's.

GH is keeps killing off characters in major families. These families have one or two characters then left on the show that they showcase then. The problem is they aren't bringing in any other new families to carry the torch. Most of the new characters that they bring in they have trouble developing them or they are killed off for the next sweeps stunt. You get interested and invested in them and then you barely see them. They have done it with Cooper (3). He was on all the time at first and you wondered will he ever be exposed for the Metro Court disaster. Now you barely see him. It seemed like they were going to have him have roots in Port Charles by having his last name be Barrett. Making many fans believe he is related to Brenda but they drop it.

I don't think that it's smart of GH to keep killing off so many characters from families that have been on the show for years. The last few sweeps they have killed of characters from major families. Georgie, Emily, Alan, A.J, and Courtney. I feel like it will bite them in the butt in the end.

Excellent post.

GH has a habit of kiling characters for "effect" and forgetting about them in the long run. They have treated the Q's like afterthoughts in favor of endless gun play. I'll watch the Soprano's if I wanted all that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply