Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dexter, Weeds, and Tudor's Coming to CBS?; CBS to pull Showtime series to fill gaps
Topic Started: Dec 5 2007, 03:34 PM (323 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

'Dexter' May Slay on CBS
'The Tudors' and 'Weeds' are other transplant candidates
December 5, 2007

Michael C. Hall of 'Dexter'With the writers strike beginning its second month, CBS may look to corporate sibling Showtime for an injection of original programming.

According to media reports, CBS Corp. President and CEO Les Moonves told reporters at the annual UBS Global Media & Communications Conference that "Dexter" is at least one candidate for a Showtime-to-CBS transplant.

"'Dexter' is probably the first one to go on -- with some edits," The Hollywood Reporter quotes Moonves as saying. "It fits with our crime shows."

CBS Sets 'Jericho,' 'Big Brother' Returns
Other candidates for network repurposing -- after edits for content and to fit with the time limitations of commercial broadcast -- might include the bodice-ripping drama "The Tudors" -- originally developed in a much tamer form for CBS -- and the 420-friendly comedy "Weeds."

Expectations for a repurposed Showtime transplant would also be hard to measure. The premium cable network did a minor celebration dance two weeks ago when the Nov. 18 episode of "Dexter" became the most-watched single airing ever for a Showtime series, drawing 1.23 million viewers. Those kinds of numbers wouldn't even keep a show afloat on fellow corporate sibling The CW. Of course, Showtime is only available in between 14 and 15 million homes, leaving vast expanses of audiences yet to meet Michael C. Hall's friendly neighborhood serial killer.

CBS and Showtime have had only limited back-and-forth in recent seasons. The cable network got solid ratings from a late-night live "Big Brother" feed this summer, while CBS aired an edited version of Showtime's "Brotherhood" two summers ago.

Relatively speaking, CBS is in less dire need of original programming than several other networks. Earlier this week, CBS announced a January and February programming revamp that includes fresh installments of "Big Brother" and "Survivor," new seasons of "Jericho" and "The New Adventures of Old Christine," plus the series premiere of the comedy "The Captain."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Wow! I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Damn! Dexter will have to be severely edited to air on CBS. The language that Dexter's sister uses... every other word out of her mouth is "fuck! "LoL

I'm not surprised that the 11/18 episode was the highest rated ever, though. That episode had me so far at the edge of my seat, I nearly fell off!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Well i for one would rather CBS do this, than fill their schedule with re-runs and reality tv crap (not counting Big Brother of course)...Its a great way to allow a larger audience to see these shows..and i know that most people will love Dexter..Its such an easy show to get hooked on..

NBC should also hit up some shows for their other counterparts..Maybe Battlestar Gallactica, Monk or the the Tin Man miniseries??? Because i have seen their schedule for next year and i won't be watching a single thing on their network, for the first time in ages...Because Heroes, Chuck, Earl, The Office, Scrubs and 30 Rock will all be done.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

The Tudors & Weeds will have to be edited big time too. The Tudors wasn't too bad but the sex scenes were kind of risque for network.

I like the fact that these shows will air since I cancelled Showtime, but in some ways I am not. I mean it's gonna be like the networks suddenly trying to air Nip/Tuck. What is going to be left when they disect them?

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Well an edited Sex and The City airs on syndication....and that show was pretty racy..

Kenny
Member Avatar

I honestly can't see "Weeds" on CBS. It's a good show, but the drug-related humor that's in virtually every line of dialogue wouldn't fly on CBS, IMO.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I really don't think the Tudor's would have to be edited much. Just the nudity.

As for Dexter, The violence on Criminal Minds isn't any worse :lol:

Hell, Criminal Minds has showed arrows going though people. throat slashings, A serial killer who stabbed women in the stomache (very graphically), Rape, Molestation, Cannibalism, and very graphic torture scenes, (cutting off a finger with wire cutters, making a woman walk on broken glass barefoot, bashing a head in with a hammer, bombers, hunting people for sport, and even a SAW ripoff episode

My guess is that it will air at 10:00pm which is a more leniant timeslot.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Rick
Dec 5 2007, 05:45 PM
I really don't think the Tudor's would have to be edited much. Just the nudity.

As for Dexter, The violence on Criminal Minds isn't any worse :lol:

Hell, Criminal Minds has showed arrows going though people. throat slashings, A serial killer who stabbed women in the stomache (very graphically), Rape, Molestation, Cannibalism, and very graphic torture scenes, (cutting off a finger with wire cutters, making a woman walk on broken glass barefoot, bashing a head in with a hammer, bombers, hunting people for sport, and even a SAW ripoff episode

My guess is that it will air at 10:00pm which is a more leniant timeslot.

Dexter isn't too graphic, in regards to the violence and killing scenes.

However, the word "fuck" is said, like... every two minutes, LoL. I hate it when they do the cheesy voiceovers and the character ends up sounding like a robot. Totally takes me out of the scene.

Also, on Dexter, he's considered the "rootable guy." The hero, if you will, despite being a serial killer. It's not necessarily the killing, but the way in which it's written with Dexter as "the hero" that would anger too many people, IMO. I don't think that would fly on CBS, having the bad guy being written as the character you're supposed to root for. It's like a more extreme version of Sonny Corinthos on General Hospital, LoL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply