Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pick 5
Brothers & Sisters (ABC) 20 (14.4%)
Cane (CBS) 4 (2.9%)
Dante's Cove (Here) 4 (2.9%)
Desperate Housewives (ABC) 27 (19.4%)
Dirty Sexy Money (ABC) 21 (15.1%)
The DL Chronicles (Here) 3 (2.2%)
Friday Night Lights (NBC) 10 (7.2%)
The Lair (Here) 3 (2.2%)
Noah's Arc (Logo) 5 (3.6%)
One Tree Hill (CW) 15 (10.8%)
Paradise Falls (Here) 3 (2.2%)
Tell Me You Love Me (HBO) 5 (3.6%)
Ugly Betty (ABC) 19 (13.7%)
Total Votes: 139
Favorite Primetime Soap Opera
Topic Started: Dec 8 2007, 04:36 PM (839 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Pick the top 5 of the current Primetime Soap Operas.

Some are not traditional soap operas but are very soap like. I tried to go with the ones that are the most like soaps on primetime.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I currently only watch three of the shows listed, so I didn't vote for five, but mine are:

Brothers & Sisters
Desperate Housewives
Dirty Sexy Money

Deleted User
Deleted User

Brothers & Sisters
Dirty Sexy Money
Friday Night Lights
One Tree Hill
Ugly Betty
Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I only watch Desperate Housewives so it got my vote

peaches179

What about Boston Legal ? I love that show!

BlueEyes
Member Avatar

Brothers & Sisters
Desperate Housewives
Dirty Sexy Money
One Tree Hill
Ugly Betty

Em
xx

~bl~
Member Avatar

I've never heard of the Here channel. What is that?

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

It is a Gay cable channel. There were 2 started last year - one was Logo and the other is Here. I like Here better. All things on Here are commercial free and uncut. Logo you have to pay for but all movies are edited and all have commercials. Queer as Folk on Logo has been cut way back from Showtime. I wish Here would get it.

Here has 3 original soap opears right now: Dante's Cove (the most popular); The Lair; and the DL Chronicles. Paradise Falls airs there but it also airs on some other channels.

Dante's Cove is very supernatural like and has continuing stories and characters.

The Lair is about vampires and is very good. It has Colton Ford as the sheriff but he has yet to get naked.

The DL Chronicles has different characters each episode. All of them center around a black man living life on the down low.

There are rumors that Rue McClanahan has been in talks about joining a new soap they are doing. I haven't heard anything in awhile.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Thanks for the info on Here. Only Logo is available on cable in my area.

BradyDiva06
Member Avatar

Ugly Betty
Desperate Housewives
One Tree Hill

FC Designer/bakedghoti
Unregistered

Desperate Housewives thanks to Eva Longoria's Gabrielle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should kill off Susan Meyer!

Ugly Betty is a hypocritical mess ever since they "upgraded" Henry into a "hunk!" Talk about destroying the message of the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Post Goto Top

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Friday Night Lights is the best show on television IMO.

Sephora
Unregistered

Since Desperate is the only one that really qualifies as a soap, that's all I voted for.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

There might be some that are debatable as to whether they are soap operas but Desperate Housewives is not the only one that qualifies as a soap opera.

Cane and Dirty Sexy Money are every bit a soap opera. And so are Paradise Falls, Dante's Cove, The Lair, Noah's Arc, and The DL Chronicles (which is an anthology soap opera in the same tradition as The Doctors and others from years ago).

Yes Ugly Betty, Friday Night Lights and some others are very much like soap operas and have lots of soap opera qualities with continuing stories and such. That qualifies them to be soap operas but they are not the traditional soap operas. But the others one are very much soap operas.

Mason
Member Avatar

Brothers & Sisters is definitely a soap too, if you ask me.

AllMyShadows

I voted for Friday Night Lights, Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, Cane, and One Tree Hill. I only make it a point to watch FNL and DH, though.

FNL is definitely every bit a soap. Just because it doesn't necessarily focus on domestic storylines (which, actually, there's a good bit of focus on those) doesn't mean it can't be called a soap. It's serialized and deals with everything your 90210s or OCs deal with. It's just done in a less campy, but still very good, way.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

1. Desperate Housewives
2. Brothers and Sisters
3. Grey's Anatomy (its a soap, imo)
4. Dirty Sexy MOney
5. Gossip Girl

Mason
Member Avatar

Oh, yeah, I would have voted for Grey's Anatomy, too, if it were listed. It's definitely a soap.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I just realized Nip Tuck isn't on here..that would be my choice over Desperate Housewives..

Mason
Member Avatar

Here's a list of all of my favorite current primetime soaps, including the ones not listed:

Brothers & Sisters
Desperate Housewives
Dirt
Dirty Sexy Money
Grey's Anatomy
Nip/Tuck
Private Practice

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply