Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Casting News; Oscar Winner Joins Cast
Topic Started: Jan 2 2008, 01:30 PM (3,191 Views)
jane1978

Nubia
Jan 2 2008, 01:55 PM
I am not too worried. She will most likely be gone by summer.

Just short term stunt casting to get a blub on Access Hollywood.

By summer? I think she will have a few appearances and thatīs it. But I think itīs great move. I just wonfer if she is able to work under current daytime ultra quick taping regime.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jonatha

Amello
Jan 2 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm thinking this will be great publicity for DAYS

It will be great PR for Days. I am excited about this. I think Shirley will be great as Colleen, if that's what she is going to do. The scenes between her and Joe Mascolo will be good. Shirley Jones won the best supporting actress award in 1961 for 'Elmer Gantry.' She is also the mother of Shawn Cassidy, the step mother of David Cassidy, and has been married to comedian Marty Ingels for many years. Woot!

annalee003
Member Avatar

Great News!

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Interesting! I bet it is Colleen she will be playing too. I hope so anyway, I don't want them to use Ali and make her look like an old woman.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Eww, God. This woman has always annoyed me! LoL

For those who don't know who she is, here's a clip...

[doHTML]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XxsZ89ME-uI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XxsZ89ME-uI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/doHTML]

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Marty Ingels (her husband) guested on Y&R while Ed was EP - so that might be the connection.

I remember when Y&R got Dorothy McGuire to play Victor's mom and she wasn't an Oscar winner or star of a television show they had to pay her a pretty hefty sum. This was years after her popularity in the movies. So you can bet that Shirley Jones didn't come cheap.

This could be another clue as to why some of the vets like Koslow are having to take pay cuts.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

Ah shucks, I thought at first it was Shirley Maclaine. Now that is who should be Colleen and Stefano's nemeses. She is one of my favorite ever actresses. Shirley Davis is not one of my favorites. But, I don't want an aged Colleen onscreen anyway except Shirley Maclaine could make it work worth the while. Maybe she will be Stefano's nemeses and be like an evil dragon lady. I can see Shirley Jones playing that....but Colleen has to have an excellent excuse to keep herself alive a secret from Shawn, Sr. and John.

Jonatha

SteveFrame
Jan 2 2008, 03:44 PM
Marty Ingels (her husband) guested on Y&R while Ed was EP - so that might be the connection.

I remember when Y&R got Dorothy McGuire to play Victor's mom and she wasn't an Oscar winner or star of a television show they had to pay her a pretty hefty sum. This was years after her popularity in the movies. So you can bet that Shirley Jones didn't come cheap.

This could be another clue as to why some of the vets like Koslow are having to take pay cuts.

OMG, Steve, I know you don't actually remember but Ann Sheridan was on AW for a while. And let's not forget Joan Crawford on 'The Secret Storm.' I know you've seen those clips. :)

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

It doesn't specify how long she'll be on for, so I'm guessing it's a short stint. So they might not being paying that much in the long-run.

Mason
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Jan 2 2008, 02:44 PM

Oh, I knew it. I knew DAYS had to be shelling out some cash to get her. <_<

cjknick
Member Avatar

She will make a Great Colleen ... she is spunky but has a nice side to her to! I could just see the Stefano & Colleen scenes and When Colleen tells John that she is his mother ... now that is great TV!

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Jan 2 2008, 03:53 PM
SteveFrame

OMG, Steve, I know you don't actually remember but Ann Sheridan was on AW for a while. And let's not forget Joan Crawford on 'The Secret Storm.' I know you've seen those clips. :)

And don't forget Elizabeth Taylor on GH.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Jonatha
SteveFrame

I have seen clips of Ann Sheridan on AW. She played Missy's mother. There was a big move in the late mid to late 60's to lure movie stars and Oscar winners to soaps to gain respectability for soaps. They really lacked them back then even though the writing was much better then than they are today. Today production values are better on most soaps but they have sacrificed the writing.

Geraldine Fitzgerald was on back then too. Anne Revere was lured to Search For Tomorrow. Dana Andrews was later brought on to Bright Promise. Joan Bennett to Dark Shadows. Joan Crawford actually requested the short term role on Secret Storm and even though she was much too old Secret Storm did it for the publicity.

CBS did big promos about Anne Revere back then and it was years since she had won her Oscar.

By the late 70's soaps did it for ratings stunts and not for credibility plus some of them were fans of the shows too. Elizabeth Taylor was a big fan of GH. Carol Burnett was of AMC and wanted to do that stint. Sammy Davis Jr. wanted to do OLTL.

Now they are purely for stunt. I wish more and more they would focus on the writing and forget the stunt casting, but sometimes it does work out okay. Plus I can't help but think about the soap actresses who have given their lives to daytime TV and are out of work because the soaps don't want them anymore. Oh how wonderful to see some of them back at work again.

The soap genre is probably the only genre that really doesn't respect it's veterans and lifetime achievers. You hardly ever see the daytime award shows do a memory retrospective of the ones who have died in the industry for the last year.

Other awards genres will pull out actors and actresses who are no longer working to present big awards. You don't see that in the soap genre.

Oh well end of rant.

I love Shirley Jones and can't begrudge her this acting stint. I am sure she will do a great job.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Exciting!

Love Shirley and think she will do great if she is Colleen. She will save the story if she's in the role IMO

And I have to agree with Steve, doesn't matter if you won an Oscar in 1960 or 1990 you don't come cheap.

Tammy
Member Avatar

OMFG I'm sorry but this made me laugh SO HARD... I felt like busting out and singing "COME ON GET HAPPY" :D

Seriously though I would rather see... I don't know Betty White or someone play Colleen :P

Jonatha

SteveFrame
Jan 2 2008, 04:13 PM
Jonatha
SteveFrame

I have seen clips of Ann Sheridan on AW. She played Missy's mother. There was a big move in the late mid to late 60's to lure movie stars and Oscar winners to soaps to gain respectability for soaps. They really lacked them back then even though the writing was much better then than they are today. Today production values are better on most soaps but they have sacrificed the writing.

Geraldine Fitzgerald was on back then too. Anne Revere was lured to Search For Tomorrow. Dana Andrews was later brought on to Bright Promise. Joan Bennett to Dark Shadows. Joan Crawford actually requested the short term role on Secret Storm and even though she was much too old Secret Storm did it for the publicity.

CBS did big promos about Anne Revere back then and it was years since she had won her Oscar.

By the late 70's soaps did it for ratings stunts and not for credibility plus some of them were fans of the shows too. Elizabeth Taylor was a big fan of GH. Carol Burnett was of AMC and wanted to do that stint. Sammy Davis Jr. wanted to do OLTL.

Now they are purely for stunt. I wish more and more they would focus on the writing and forget the stunt casting, but sometimes it does work out okay. Plus I can't help but think about the soap actresses who have given their lives to daytime TV and are out of work because the soaps don't want them anymore. Oh how wonderful to see some of them back at work again.

The soap genre is probably the only genre that really doesn't respect it's veterans and lifetime achievers. You hardly ever see the daytime award shows do a memory retrospective of the ones who have died in the industry for the last year.

Other awards genres will pull out actors and actresses who are no longer working to present big awards. You don't see that in the soap genre.

Oh well end of rant.

I love Shirley Jones and can't begrudge her this acting stint. I am sure she will do a great job.

Joan Bennett on Dark Shadows, that gives me shivers. She was one tough old broad. :) Wow, thanks for the memory Steve.

King
Member Avatar

Manny
Jan 2 2008, 01:35 PM
I thought their budget was bad... and yet they bring on an Oscar winner? Wow..

The budget thing was all a lieeeeeeeee, IMO. It was a way to excuse their bad behavior and dumb decisions. It's so obvi now.

As for this news, oy vey!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

If she had a connection to Ed, like Steve mentioned, I bet she came cheaper then many people think. Plus, it's probably only a short stint.

As Toups said at SON, Corday was going to have a bit more money this year and Ed is managing the budget better. Plus, the show has to do whatever it takes to boost ratings and publicity to present a better situation to potential suitors who may be interested in the show. The budget situation is very real but I'm not debating it again :lol: .

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

:o I'm shocked. At least it won't be Ali playing Colleen. Hopefully, this will make the storyline a bit better. Although, it sucks she'll be on as Hackley is Head Writing.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

More Marnie Siatta magic! Has the woman made a casting mistake since arriving? Loving the people she's brought on so far. Can't wait to see Jones on the show.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply