Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GL: A Rare Treasure; GL Wins 1981 Writing Emmy
Topic Started: Jan 13 2008, 04:59 AM (489 Views)
speedbump210

[doHTML]Someone just posted this on the youtube site. It is a clip from the 1981 Emmy ceremony. The video features clips of the nominees and the acceptance speech by then-GL headwriter Doug Marland. It was, I believe, his first win at GL. He would win again the following year, along with the Drama Series emmy (GL's 2nd win in that category).

Enjoy!

Edited by Rick, Jan 16 2009, 03:50 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Thanks for posting this, GL is actually the ONLY show Marland ever received Emmy's for as head writer. He also has an Emmy as apart of Another World's 1975 writing team, headed by his mentor Harding Lemay. The man's a genius and did so much for GL during his three years there. I greatly miss the Reardon's (a Marland created signature family).

He left GL over creative different with EP Allen Porter and suggested Pat Falken Smith to replace him there, but that was a huge mistake. I often wonder what he thought of GL after he left, I'm sure he wasn't too happy with the show, though GL did surge in popularity during Pam Long's first run as head writer. I think the closest GL ever came to recapturing some sense of Marland's golden era was during Nancy Curlee's head writing run in the early 90's. It's quite ironic, as it was Curlee's writing team who in 1993 beat Marland's writing team at sister-soap ATWT for the 1993 Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Thank you so much for sharing that. What surprised me other than the Frons shout out, was the length of the clips they showed for each series that was nominated. :) I also was amused over how many people I actually recognized and then I felt a tad old though some of the people were still in the industry a decade or more later.

BL (who thought it was kind of weird, but cool that Dee Hall and Chris Bernau were announcing together, wonder how they came up with that idea...a hat?!)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Video Vault · Next Topic »
Add Reply