Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC to Stop Producing Pilots
Topic Started: Jan 23 2008, 05:14 PM (394 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

NBC Grounds Its Pilots
CEO Zucker says they're too expensive

NBC is blowing up its development process, doing away with pilots in most cases in an effort to save money.

That was the word from NBC Universal CEO Jeff Zucker on Tuesday, who told company employees that the network could save up to $50 million each year by not producing pilots.

"Sometimes you see the world from a different perspective when you're flat on your back," The New York Times quotes Zucker as saying. "At NBC Entertainment we've been flat on our backs for the last few years."

The writers' strike will put a serious dent in this year's pilot season. CBS, FOX and The CW have already cut a number of projects that were in development before the strike began, and ABC and NBC are likely to do the same.

NBC, though, is considering making the cuts permanent. Zucker says the cost of pilots has increased dramatically in recent years, making the process a high-risk, low-reward endeavor for the network. NBC typically only orders five or six new shows each year from a crop of 15 to 20 pilots.

"You're spending money on programs you're not going to get," Zucker said in a video "town hall" with NBC Universal employees. The network may still order a couple of pilots each year, but not much more than that.

Just how NBC will pick new shows is unclear. The network has experimented with a couple of different ideas in the past year, including splitting the cost for a 13-episode adaptation of "Robinson Crusoe" with a European producer.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I heard at this rate, if the strike isnt resolved by spring/early summer, the Fall 2008-09 season will pretty much be a "re-do" of the Fall 2007 TV season. That is why many new shows got an early season pick-up.

Mason

Rick
Jan 23 2008, 04:14 PM
"Sometimes you see the world from a different perspective when you're flat on your back," The New York Times quotes Zucker as saying. "At NBC Entertainment we've been flat on our backs for the last few years."

Gee, I wonder why...

King
Member Avatar

LMAO at that quote.

NBC is a mess and a half.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sure is. The whole network has no idea what the hell it's doing.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Hey Rick does this mean that the comedy Kath and Kim with Molly Shannon and Selma Blair is stopping production? They just announced that Selma Blair was joining the show as Molly's daughter a few days ago..And this show sounds like goldmine...

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Well you know they could always have the Today Show on ALL DAY. :lol:

Drew
Member Avatar

They still need to atleast make pilots for the series they're going to produce, they just need to decide first which ones those are going to be.

So much stuff gets figured out, so many problems get fixed in the pilot stage because they have the time to get feedback on what the problems with the show are and correct them before they get into weekly rotation when it really matters. Take FOX's recent hit Terminator series - its pilot from last year received TERRIBLE reviews from those that watched it. Had that gone straight to air, this show would have tanked.

If they actually kill pilots all together, their lineup is going to SUCK.

Mason

cubsgirl
Jan 23 2008, 07:18 PM
Well you know they could always have the Today Show on ALL DAY. :lol:

LoL, I'm sure they'd have no problem with that! They seem to have a major hard-on for it as it is.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Jeff Zucker is an idiot who shouldn't have ever been promoted to the position he's in now at NBC, they should have made sure he stayed in his position as a producer on the Today Show..... :angry:

He should have read up on the way Brandon Tartikoff ran NBC, I might give more credit to Warren Littlefield if he hadn't had something to do with screwing David Letterman out of the Tonight Show job....

Mason

Rhiannon
Jan 23 2008, 09:51 PM
Jeff Zucker is an idiot who shouldn't have ever been promoted to the position he's in now at NBC, they should have made sure he stayed in his position as a producer on the Today Show..... :angry:

Or better yet, demoted him to being a janitor.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hey, this strike could be good for soaps. Imagine if NBC put "Passions" on IN THE NIGHT TIME ON NBC!!! How great would that be?! It's not like they have much else, and I bet the Nielsens would be better than their daytime numbers -- especially for people who'll watch anything new. They could try it with "Days" too. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

DramaKing
Member Avatar

^ya know, i wonder if networks ahve thought of putting soaps in rpimetime since they keep going. ABC could easily throw GH in at night and it could work, Y&R on CBS at night would also work. and hell what does NBC have to lose by moving days to night? wont happen but still...

i am also a bit suprised ABC hasnt picked up GH: Night Shift for primetime since they own it and its done.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

JackPeyton
Jan 24 2008, 02:44 AM
i am also a bit suprised ABC hasnt picked up GH: Night Shift for primetime since they own it and its done.

I am surprised too that ABC didn't think to put Night Shift on primetime with the strike going on. I know NBC has done this in the past with shows on Bravo and USA Network (they are owned by NBC). It gets people who might not check these shows out a chance to see them and maybe turn in and/or get the network on their cable system.

DramaKing
Member Avatar

cubsgirl
Jan 24 2008, 08:03 AM
JackPeyton
Jan 24 2008, 02:44 AM

I am surprised too that ABC didn't think to put Night Shift on primetime with the strike going on. I know NBC has done this in the past with shows on Bravo and USA Network (they are owned by NBC). It gets people who might not check these shows out a chance to see them and maybe turn in and/or get the network on their cable system.

i know. and it could be done with ease. even if you wanna drop the genmeral hospital and not tie it in. it can be done, just call it night Shift

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply