Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Emmy Nominations: The Reaction Thread
Topic Started: Apr 30 2008, 04:27 AM (6,781 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

JackPeyton
Apr 30 2008, 10:22 AM
DrewHamilton
Apr 30 2008, 07:10 AM
I want Whoopi to take Elisabeth down!

much to my shock recently i have been team Elizabeth.

I agree (but that's not a surprise, I'd bet). :lol:

But here's the thing, and I'm not sure Kenny or others who may not (I'm guessing) watch "The View" regularly. Whoopi and Bits are pals. They may get into a heated debate, but I've seen it become a full-on "bitchfight" or what others are saying. Whoopi has a tremendous respect for Bits. She even publicly displayed it one time. I think it was when Bits said she had a dialogue with Chelsea Clinton (there was more to it than this, forgive me for the lack of details) and Whoopi stood up and hugged Bits, and said she's more than just a one-sided Conservative, she has true compassion for others, and she respects her for that.

Still, there are times when I want Bits to shut up, lol. Does she have to stir controversy EVERY day? That's the question. I mean, can't she let the Obama/Wright thing go? That's the one thorn in my side when it comes to her, these days. I get her position, but she's argued it countless times already. Hasn't it been played out, by these women alone?
Quote Post Goto Top

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I noticed that non-reaction to James Scott as well but maybe... it just took the audience a few minutes to recognize him? The other actors mentioned have been on their respective shows for years.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jcar03
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
May 1 2008, 12:19 AM
dawn9476
Apr 30 2008, 10:19 AM
Not all women love James Scott.

That was evident. Did he get ANY applause from that audience?! I was stunned. I don't think I heard a single clap. The other reactions were more pronounced (during predictions)

that probably had more to do with the audience probably watches ABC soaps. They watch the View it leads to the ABC soaps etc. The ABC ppl got the biggest applause.

Deleted User
Deleted User

DrewHamilton
Apr 30 2008, 11:27 AM
How awesome is it that the same girl that people loathed in 2005 when she came on as Chelsea, is DAYS first nomination for Younger Actress since the great Christie Clark.

Rachel Melvin has come a LONNNGGGGGGG way.

Excellent point! I'm VERY happy for this girl. She's a brilliant actress@! I REALLY WISH we had video of her reaction. Maybe the soap press could/should have done something like "Access HOllywood" with other awards. Set up a meeting with the potential nominees and get their reaction on the announcement, right there, as it happens. Or at the very least, schedule a meeting, after, and get the reaction. I HAVE to see vid of Rachel's reaction!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

AlistairCrane
Apr 30 2008, 11:33 AM
I went to the Emmys page and Passions DID get nominations!!

Outstanding Achievement in Live &
Direct To Tape Sound Mixing For A
Drama Series

THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
CBS
GUIDING LIGHT
CBS
PASSIONS
NBC

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
CBS

Outstanding Achievement in Makeup
For A Drama Series

AS THE WORLD TURNS
CBS
DAYS OF OUR LIVES
NBC
PASSIONS
NBC

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
CBS

Outstanding Achievement in Hairstyling
For A Drama Series

DAYS OF OUR LIVES
NBC
GUIDING LIGHT
CBS
ONE LIFE TO LIVE
ABC
PASSIONS
NBC

Outstanding Achievement for in
Costume Design For A Drama Series

AS THE WORLD TURNS
CBS
GUIDING LIGHT
CBS
ONE LIFE TO LIVE
ABC
PASSIONS
NBC

----> Passions deserves to win this one for the blackmailer's he/she costume.

It's not good enough for me. For me, this was Lindsay's year. And is she even eligible for next year's awards? It's a very sad thing.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rakesh198
Apr 30 2008, 11:38 AM
Passions only get those kinds of awards. lol

Yeah, but an Emmy's an Emmy. So no matter what anyone can say about "Passions," it IS an Emmy-award winning soap. And this year, is again nominated.
Quote Post Goto Top

jcar03
Member Avatar

I don't think anyone would of thought to go to Rachel.

I didn't loathe her. I loathe the character which was written as a whiney pain at first then last year she had much better writting and one of the character Hogan improved during his run.

I would love a video of the DAYS actors on set today being like WTF seriously four ACTING nominations. I bet they were happy over there.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Yes, something for Passions in the acting categories would've been very nice, esp Phillip Jeanmarie.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
May 1 2008, 12:25 AM
I noticed that non-reaction to James Scott as well but maybe... it just took the audience a few minutes to recognize him? The other actors mentioned have been on their respective shows for years.

James Scott should be recognizable to an ABC audience though from his days on AMC. He was pretty popular on there. Not everyone liked him but he had a good fan base - many who followed him to Days.

It surprised me that he didn't get that much applause. Some of the other Days stars got and CBS stars got more of a reaction than he did.

jcar03
Member Avatar

Lindsay Hartley would of been nice since she IS the show pretty much. She was in like 97% of the eps last year she should get something. I know we like to knock PSNS around here and its not my cup of tea but the actors do what they can with some campy material but the Emmy voters don't really like camp.

jcar03
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
May 1 2008, 12:39 AM
OneBadKitty
May 1 2008, 12:25 AM

James Scott should be recognizable to an ABC audience though from his days on AMC. He was pretty popular on there. Not everyone liked him but he had a good fan base - many who followed him to Days.

It surprised me that he didn't get that much applause. Some of the other Days stars got and CBS stars got more of a reaction than he did.

Good point....I had forgotten he was on ABC. So my comment can be disregard about ABC fans etc.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I'd forgotten as well but I still stand by my comment that the other choices were quite a bit more recognizable because of their years on their respective shows, if I'm making any sense at this time of night. :lol:

jcar03
Member Avatar

I just thought that a lot of times at these shows the audience it told when to applause so that could of been the case.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Very late to the party but just got my internet back so catching up...and this will be long so you are warned :lol:.

I watched this at work today but couldn't comment (boss was watching :lol:) but...

WHO FREAKIN HOO!!! :dance:

FINALLY!!! AFTER SO LONG!!

I am so happy for Days. As soon as I saw Rachel's name, I thought that was it and I was happy. Then, hearing Darin's and then Judi's and later Thaoo's...what a great day to be a Days fan. I know the rest of these nods are terrible in many respects but, from a Days perspective, it's great. I think Hogan helped some but I think this is more Ed Scott. I think he is so known and I think he has friends over at CBS. Maybe the fact that Days was at the CBS party last year did come into play and they teamed up. Who knows. I do think Ed had a major effect here. I know he knows how to pick the right tapes and that had to help. In regards to Judi Evans, I think Hogan's writing really helped her because he grounded Bonnie and she had some great work early on as Adrienne. It will be fun this year because now I have a more personal invested interest :lol:. I actually think all but Darin have a chance.

Overall, my feeling on the nods is mixed. Obviously, I'm happy for Days and it's nice to see some fresh faces and not the same old. There are still some but, overall, it's a different flavor this year. Having said that, in many ways the committee missed the boat on putting in some fresh faces who were more deserving. Frons is going to be pissed and I'm sure Brad Bell is and this is important because Brad Bell, along with Corday, were the ones pushing hard for change in the early 2000's. Brad Bell was more vocal and once the pre-nom system was brought in and B&B started getting nods, Brad backed off. I remember one year recently all but GH as far as ABC goes got snubbed and Frons had a fit. If your the Emmy's, the last thing you want is to piss off BOTH Frons and Brad Bell and they probably did that today.

On one hand, they may force change but, on the other, the Emmy's may say that they did put some fresh blood out there and may try to justify this. It's hard to tell what will happen. It may depend on the winners Emmy night and the reaction there. We'll see but it will be interesting.

One more thing about Days...what's important is that now they have broken through. Those nominated have their names out there so they will be remembered everytime they submit. That is one of the reasons why the same people get in every year. We already had SOW break the story about how the voters did not watch all the tapes and were voting for who they knew and so on. Well, now those nominated for Days will be known and in the "voter data bank" if you will (meaning the voter's mind). Voters may actually take a decent look at Days now with Ed Scott there, regardless of who is writing and Ed may also help them get more in from now on as we saw this year. Maybe with Ed there they have an alliance with CBS. Not far in regards to ABC but it's hard for me to sympathize with them. Hell, it's hard for me to sympathize with CBS too after NBC got snubbed for years.

Now, rather then ramble, I will organize my thoughts by category:

Snubs: I really think Hickland and Brier cancelled each other out. I always fear when two people from one show have fantastic performances because this tends to happen in many awards shows and I think it happened here. I can see Hickland getting snubbed but there is no other logical reason for Brier to get snubbed. That was her award, Period. As for Martha Madison, I knew once John was brought back her chance went up in smoke, much like Dee's and Days' chances in drama/writing/directing. I heard they submitted John's funeral episodes for drama/writing/directing and Dee and Martha obviously submitted stuff revolving around it and I think if Days had held out longer (as in after the nods), they may have gotten those nods. The voters are supposed to judge the material and performance but they do keep what happens next in the back of their minds. They shouldn't but they do and since Days is so high profile they probably saw what happened with John as the "same old Days" and pretty much rebelled against that story and everything involved. It sucks but I just knew something like that would happen.

KKL and MTS were robbed. There is no reason for that other then the industry not liking you or something. You would think with Ed and the respect with his name maybe that would help. I hated Brook's rape but KKL was superb. Hopefully, she will get recognized for her work in 2008, which has been excellent. MTS was great. I can't understand it. Now, I may be in the minority but I can see why Nicole Forrester got on. She was great during Tammy's death and I can actually see it being between her and Chappell or maybe they will cancel each other out and Cooper will snag it.

As for Kirsten Storms, other then Georgie's funeral and, yes, I know you need just two good tapes but, to me, she only had that one and nothing else. My problem with Storms is I don't feel like she has to do much to play Maxie. I feel like she doesn't have to reach outside herself. It's too easy because I think Maxie fits Storms too much and that is why I can't jump on her bandwagon. I have more praise for Farah Fath because she has to make herself work as a single mother, something that shouldn't suit her but she makes it work.

I will save my other reactions as to who wins for the proper threads. Overall, this is surreal with Days being recognized and ABC being pretty much on the outside looking in with a few exceptions.

Oh, and the telecast was hilarious. From the Whoppi/Elizabeth bitchfest to Bryan Dattilo and John Paul Lavosier screwing up and leaving out one nominee. I love the way ABC does this. The People magazine guy was stupid. He has no clue what he was doing and, yes, the reaction to James Scott surprised me too. Weird. Can't wait to hear the reactions from Days!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rhiannon
Apr 30 2008, 10:49 AM
Thaao and and not James?

This board is gonna explode!

:run:

I know this is late but trying to catch up and just had to quote this :lol: .

I had the same thought while watching it this morning. Once Days had 3 nods, I kept thinking "maybe James Scott or some other Days people have a shot." I mean, James did work at ABC so he had a better chance IMO. Then, as soon as Thaoo came up, I kept thinking that holy hell will break loose and Thaoo will be accused of stealing his nod. :lol: . I kept thinking about the boards and what the reactions were.

If anything, Thaoo would've stole SN's nod because he made the crazy Steve stuff bearable and had some great work opposite Joe Mascolo when he took Steve hostage. However, Thaoo earned his spot.

It's too bad Joe didn't get into supporting. He could've won. I know SN was lead last year but he totally would've gotten nominated in supporting actor and may have one I think.

I also wish Koslow had gotten into supporting. She had great work with Bryan when Lucas disowned her in October. There scene in the car was heartbreaking and Koslow rocked it. As Kenny said, she carried the show from 1998-2002 and always provides great performances consistently. She is underated and never gets her due with critics or awards. I wish she would. She's great. I also wish Dee had gotten awarded finally too. Great for days but there are others who had been overlooked previously and who had solid years I wanted but I will take it.

I feel bad for Lindsey Hartley too. She gave it her all through shitty writing for all these years and was on everyday and never got her due either.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I'm happy for Days, I just feel like the wrong people from Days were nominated, minus Rachel Melvin and maybe Thaao Penghlis. I hate that people are saying Thaao doesn't deserve this, because I think everyone forgets what a good actor he really is. He has a very distinct screen presence, and he managed to play Andre in a very believable, human way.

Darin Brooks and Judi Evans really threw me for a loop though, although I'm happy for any Days nods at all. I was really hoping to see Martha Madison's name though, as well as Deidre Hall for Lead Actress. Plus, substitute Blake Berris for Darin Brooks.

Could this be the work of Ed Scott? Maybe he knew that with the show's future in jeopardy, winning an Emmy or two could either save it or make it look a little more appealing in the eyes of another network -- either/or. As a result, he probably rallied the troops and said, "Look... we need to really push for some representation this year," and as a result... voila!

I'm happy about it.

As for the lack of ABC acting nominations, I'd like to feel sympathy, but I really don't. NBC was shut out so many years, I can't help but feel a little happiness at the thought of ABC doing without. Watch them win every award they're up for now, LoL.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I miss the days when Days had great music and would be nominated for Music Direction And Composition (and sometimes even win).

Kenny
Member Avatar

Is it true that Thaao Penghlis is the first Lead Actor nomination for Days in 20+ years?

If so... DAMN.

Mason

I definitely think Thaao is one of DAYS's most underrated actors. He brings a lot of depth and nuance to his performances (well, minus the acid-trippiness of JER's second run, LoL). I'm of course overjoyed that DAYS got the noms that it did, but I would be that much more happy if Deidre Hall and Martha Madison hadn't been robbed.

jcar03
Member Avatar

Kenny
May 1 2008, 08:28 AM
Is it true that Thaao Penghlis is the first Lead Actor nomination for Days in 20+ years?

If so... DAMN.

Yes it is true. The last time DAYS had a Lead Actor nom was way back in 1988 for Stephen Nichols.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply