Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Weekly Discussion; Week Of June 9th
Topic Started: Jun 9 2008, 01:23 PM (4,774 Views)
hops
Member Avatar

I liked the John and Marlena scenes. I was surprised. I didn't expect to. Not because I like what is happening, but because of their interaction. John was putting on a show for Marlena, you could tell it was because he is in love with her, but can't go there until he knows she loves him in the same way. Love and pain. I want to see how they react to each other the next time they see each other. I like that.

I agree though, that there is no excitement on the show. There has to be drama, emotion, excitement, love....a full on story that makes you want to tune in tomorrow to see how someone is going to react, or what someone is going to do or say. (I mean does anyone care if anyone finds out Max is smart?) I watched OLTL as a general fan for quite a few years and that is what i think a general fan wants from a soap, something they need to know, secrets, good v. evil, a couple to root for, and a story written with some intelligence and wit. Just an example...they set up this thing with Stefano and we should be wondering if he is ever going to 'wake' up of his own accord, he could be letting the audience in on secrets that some of the characters don't know. It's a shame.

(PS....re: OLTL...just had had enough with all the mixing up of couples for stupid reasons and that is what finally made me stop watching OLTL, I actually liked quite a few of the characters, but I stopped watching shortly after Nora had that brief amnesia storyline, I just didn't care about anyone anymore)
Edited by hops, Jun 14 2008, 02:34 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

It's so ironic that the place that got rid of Higs is hopping and full of entertainment and creativity, sadly the place where she's at now is lacking direction, continuity, and common sense......... :shame:

Mason
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Jun 14 2008, 03:17 AM
It's so ironic that the place that got rid of Higs is hopping and full of entertainment and creativity, sadly the place where she's at now is lacking direction, continuity, and common sense......... :shame:
I definitely don't think it's a coincidence. The woman's a hack. Boredom and bad stories follow her no matter what show she's writing.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

That's what puzzles me. She was never boring at OLTL. Her stories sucked but she wasn't boring and things did not lack direction. There was always a plan. The plan sucked but the stories progressed and there were big moments and payoffs. She sucked at OLTL but still.

On Days, nothing like that is happening. It seems like constant setup and going around in circles most of the time, almost like they are waiting for the green light from someone before they move ahead. It's weird and it really reminds me now of her first stint, only it's a bit more interesting with the interactions and the stuff during the strke was great and seemed to have direction and movement toward something, all of which oddly went out the window around the end of April. I still wonder if maybe they are waiting for the renewal to be confirmed or maybe we are getting some sort of writing change and that is why things are in holding pattern. It's the same thing I thought in 2003 when I felt Dena was told not to do too much and to act like an interim writer until they knew what was happening. They wanted her to have a long term plan if the show got canceled or in case Corday was able to convince NBC not to bring JER back as a condition in the deal but he had to and I think he always knew that since he demoted B&C. I've always felt Higley is a place-holder in her first stint and now I'm feeling the same way again. Not sure if I'm right but even if she isn't, her recent complaining in her blog, her buddy getting demoted and Rick Draughon getting promoted, and the ratings may end up doing her in very soon.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

i was on board with Dena for the first couple months, but she's had more than enough time to get the show rocking and rolling and its still a complete bore..Its like she's afraid to do anything dramatic to change the show...Nothing is happening, she's just having all the characters on and just randomly interacting with each other..

Mason
Member Avatar

Here is a quote from Kenny, from the thread about Higley returning to DAYS, last October:

Quote:

Nothing happened when she wrote the show. Nothing! The characters sat around, talked... talked some more... talked some more... talked a little more... then continued to talk, talk, talk... it was just a giant talk-a-thon. Nothing that I can recall ever reached a climax or a dramatic turning point. It was always just a bunch of boring nothingness and stagnancy.

Eerie how prophetic it turned out to be, isn't it? It perfectly describes what's happening now.

Days4Life

Mason
Jun 14 2008, 01:16 PM
Here is a quote from Kenny, from the thread about Higley returning to DAYS, last October:

Quote:

Nothing happened when she wrote the show. Nothing! The characters sat around, talked... talked some more... talked some more... talked a little more... then continued to talk, talk, talk... it was just a giant talk-a-thon. Nothing that I can recall ever reached a climax or a dramatic turning point. It was always just a bunch of boring nothingness and stagnancy.

Eerie how prophetic it turned out to be, isn't it? It perfectly describes what's happening now.
That clinches it--Kenny is our very own soap god! :hail:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
Jun 14 2008, 01:03 PM
i was on board with Dena for the first couple months, but she's had more than enough time to get the show rocking and rolling and its still a complete bore..Its like she's afraid to do anything dramatic to change the show...Nothing is happening, she's just having all the characters on and just randomly interacting with each other..
Exactly and while some things are picking up, it's not even close to being enough.

Whether they are other issues involved or not, the show does not need this and something needs to be done. Even my patience is waning.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

hops
Jun 14 2008, 02:26 AM
I liked the John and Marlena scenes. I was surprised. I didn't expect to. Not because I like what is happening, but because of their interaction. John was putting on a show for Marlena, you could tell it was because he is in love with her, but can't go there until he knows she loves him in the same way. Love and pain. I want to see how they react to each other the next time they see each other. I like that.

I agree though, that there is no excitement on the show. There has to be drama, emotion, excitement, love....a full on story that makes you want to tune in tomorrow to see how someone is going to react, or what someone is going to do or say. (I mean does anyone care if anyone finds out Max is smart?) I watched OLTL as a general fan for quite a few years and that is what i think a general fan wants from a soap, something they need to know, secrets, good v. evil, a couple to root for, and a story written with some intelligence and wit. Just an example...they set up this thing with Stefano and we should be wondering if he is ever going to 'wake' up of his own accord, he could be letting the audience in on secrets that some of the characters don't know. It's a shame.

(PS....re: OLTL...just had had enough with all the mixing up of couples for stupid reasons and that is what finally made me stop watching OLTL, I actually liked quite a few of the characters, but I stopped watching shortly after Nora had that brief amnesia storyline, I just didn't care about anyone anymore)
ITA, hops... the J&M stuff is getting nice and angsty, but it's too bad we don't know if it will continue or if we will be going ten steps back again.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Jiggs
Jun 14 2008, 02:48 PM
hops

ITA, hops... the J&M stuff is getting nice and angsty, but it's too bad we don't know if it will continue or if we will be going ten steps back again.
I really think they should cut their losses and continue with Java until Tamara Braun leaves. It's becoming apparent, vocal J&M fans aside, that quite a few people are enjoying the whole Jawn thing. Marlena is a lot more of a woman without him. Good grief, she's a psychiatrist! And, she wasn't gone long enough to clear her head.
And taking Stefano of the table without a come-to-Jesus meeting between him and Jawn OR between him and Marlena was a huge mistake.
Jawn puts on a show for everyone. I fear, of course, that we will end right up with J&M again, but maybe, hopefully, not quite so much. Eh, that's what the FF button is for.
Now, of course, they really missed the boat by not having Belle on board and with Philip. Can you imagine the angst with Belle here having to take sides between her dad-in-body-only and her husband???? Much better drama than whether the Pillar of Strength can accept JawnRyan for what he is currently rather than a pipe dream of long ago.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

they missed the boat in so many ways by writing Belle out..First off, you have a fantastic and well liked actress in Martha Madison..A character that had been a mainstay on the show for years and is the daughter of one of the most popular characters on the show..And Martha and Jay had fantastic chemistry...they could have written Shawn out and just done a Belle, Phillip and Chloe triangle..Also they had just revealed that Belle was part Dimera, which could have made for an exciting story..I do hope they get Belle back at some point..I honestly can do without Shawn..

Alligato
Member Avatar

Rhiannon - just wanted to say you are so right about Kristin Renton...such a huge change from when she started...how do you remember that stuff...although I put much of last year out of my mind. Maybe she is trying to be a bit more mature to be in a relationship with Phillip, but she was so much more personable when she first started. Pretty girl too.
Too funny about taking acting lessons from Nadia, Amello! LOL!

This maybe a really dumb question, but why do soap writers go from soap to soap? I mean, they got fired usually because of poor performance or being difficult or whatever...why are they rehired somewhere else and expect different things? Hogan's stories here totally bombed, people hated him (I did) and his stories, but he gets rehired for another soap? Isn't that the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing and expecting different results?

Can you imagine if I am an accountant, and I totally screw up a company's books, forget to file taxes, rewrite past ledgers to make numbers fit, tell off my employer...that I would be hired at another company...especially in my same position?
Are there only 5 head writers for soaps out there...and they can only get passed around?
Who wrote Days during the strike? That person was pretty awesome? And some of the people on these boards KNOW the history, KNOW what works...why wouldn't executives look for a fresher face....or at least one who wouldn't have to watch 10 years of the soap during the week before he started his job.

Mason
Member Avatar

Alligato
Jun 14 2008, 03:54 PM
I was actually the one that said that, but thanks, LoL!

Mason
Member Avatar

Alligato
This maybe a really dumb question, but why do soap writers go from soap to soap? I mean, they got fired usually because of poor performance or being difficult or whatever...why are they rehired somewhere else and expect different things? Hogan's stories here totally bombed, people hated him (I did) and his stories, but he gets rehired for another soap? Isn't that the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing and expecting different results?

Even though he had a so-so run on DAYS, he had a largely successful run on ATWT, for which he won 4 Emmys, so he still has a decent reputation in the industry.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mason
Jun 14 2008, 04:34 PM
Alligato

Even though he had a so-so run on DAYS, he had a largely successful run on ATWT, for which he won 4 Emmys, so he still has a decent reputation in the industry.
Exactly. He had a wonderful reputation, and people were excited.
The big question is....WHY Higley, with her poor reputation?

jules

hops

I agree hops. Deidre and Drake were so good at showing J&M's emotions in those scenes. I could see how much Marlena was hurting and that John loves Marlena but was lashing back at her because he was so disappointed she left. I am just kind of sad that John doesn't even make an attempt to remember his old life. This is the only story I find interesting right now, but it's so inconsistent in terms of screen time.

hops
Member Avatar

For me too Jules. There were four actors in the room but it could have just been John and Marlena, they really dominated those scenes. Just wish they would have kept Stefano around. With the story build up that was the way to go.

hops
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Jun 14 2008, 03:50 PM
they missed the boat in so many ways by writing Belle out..First off, you have a fantastic and well liked actress in Martha Madison..A character that had been a mainstay on the show for years and is the daughter of one of the most popular characters on the show..And Martha and Jay had fantastic chemistry...they could have written Shawn out and just done a Belle, Phillip and Chloe triangle..Also they had just revealed that Belle was part Dimera, which could have made for an exciting story..I do hope they get Belle back at some point..I honestly can do without Shawn..
ITA. That was just starting to gain momentum and they dropped it. I'd love for MM to come back as Belle.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Mason
Jun 14 2008, 04:33 PM
Alligato
I was actually the one that said that, but thanks, LoL!
Sorry, Mason. By the time I got to the end of the thread, I had my names all switched up.
Your quotes alway seem to make me laugh so I should have known! LOL!
Such a wicked sense of humor you have!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jun 12 2008, 02:39 PM
This may be just more nitpicking from me, but I have to point out something really rubbed me the wrong way during today's show. In the scene where Bo arrived at the Kiriakis mansion, Philip opened the door and told Bo, "My father's not here." And then the two went about the entire scene like they're not related, like they're not brothers, like they don't have the same father. The script writer today really screwed that scene up, and that pisses me off that neither Jay or Peter corrected the line.
They called each other bro several times during those scenes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply