Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Frances Reid Update (from Jason's site)
Topic Started: Jun 21 2008, 05:03 PM (2,631 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

"Days" fans were looking forward to the possibility of seeing Frances Reid (Alice) at the annual Brady/Horton picnic episode on July 2. Lines were written for Alice in case Ms. Reid could appear. However, Ms. Reid was unable to make it to the taping. Hopefully she will be up for an appearance in the annual Christmas episode this December. Ms. Reid continues to extend her record as the oldest actor on contract on any television series. Her 94th birthday is December 9.

http://members.aol.com/jason47b
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Aww this is so sad :(

But what's even more sad is the fact that they are waiting for the Christmas show to try and get her again. Why not use her in a scene with Maggie or Lucas when she is up to it?

Mason
Member Avatar

Rick
Jun 21 2008, 06:16 PM
But what's even more sad is the fact that they are waiting for the Christmas show to try and get her again. Why not use her in a scene with Maggie or Lucas when she is up to it?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I know she can't work much anymore, but when she is able and willing to do it, why not have her on? Why does it have to be the 4th of July and Christmas or nothing?

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Yeah, they should just have her come and film some scenes whenever she is up to it. It shouldn't have to be a holiday!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

That makes me sad. :(

Days4Life

I think they should have an open door policy with her--any day Frances feels up to it, she should come in and tape a few lines and then they could insert them in an episode. Just a short scene with Maggie or Hope or Julie (if she's around at the time) would be wonderful.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

This sucks. I always enjoy seeing Frances. I hope she's alright.
Edited by Rakesh198, Jun 21 2008, 08:30 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Mason
Jun 21 2008, 07:05 PM
Rick
That's exactly what I was thinking. I know she can't work much anymore, but when she is able and willing to do it, why not have her on? Why does it have to be the 4th of July and Christmas or nothing?
Cause Dena Higley doesnt like writing for people over 50?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew
Jun 21 2008, 09:47 PM
Mason
Jun 21 2008, 07:05 PM
Rick
Cause Dena Higley doesnt like writing for people over 50?
Well, then why are Drake and Dee getting material? And Peter Reckell? Lauren Koslow is also getting some materia, as is John Anistonl. Jim Reynolds is getting a story with Renee Jones. They are all over 50. That has nothing to do with it.

Peter Reckell said two years ago at a birthday party for Frances that even then she was having trouble getting back and forth to the studio so no doubt it's worse now. She needs help and she also has trouble with her lines and she is very hard on herself acting-wise so I think the show does it's best to make her comfortable, which is why last 4th of July and Christmas she had very little lines.

I should also add that the show does want to use her more. It's just some cases, like this one, are more publicized then others. I remember hearing that they wanted her at Lumi's wedding but she was unable. They also wanted to use her in March when Bo was dying. It was even mentioned in SOD and onscreen but she was unable. She is just unable and, considering how hard she is on herself, I bet she would be very upset the more they give her that she is unable to do so it's best to just use her for family events and such so that you limit her upset and the amount of times she gets disappointed because she is unable to come in to work.

I don't think having her come in to shoot scenes when she is able will work either. I think she just isn't able to work much period. As I said, the show has tried to use her more but she has been unable. Plus, if you do try to shoot when she is able, who knows if the other actors can come in or what you have to shift around to make that happen.

I really wish we could see her but it's not her fault nor the show's. I just hope we see her again at Christmas.

jcar03
Member Avatar

I was gonna add the pretty much all you said Phoenix.

I'm worried for Francis.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^So am I, jcar. :(

King
Member Avatar

This is horrible. :(

Poor Fran.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

It hurts me too much to see the stars when they get that feeble anyway. I still think about poor Ruth Warrick being wheeled in - in that wheelchair for her last appearance on AMC. She was too weak to even speak. And then she died very shortly after that.

I think in those instances it would be better for the shows to do location scenes for them. Go to a beloved star like that rather than have them come to you.

Mason
Member Avatar

I wish they would do that. Although I'm sure Corday would be more worried about the cost of shooting out of the studio than anything else. :hmmph:

Whether we see her onscreen or not, I just pray that Frances is okay. :(

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

SteveFrame
Jun 22 2008, 12:48 AM
It hurts me too much to see the stars when they get that feeble anyway. I still think about poor Ruth Warrick being wheeled in - in that wheelchair for her last appearance on AMC. She was too weak to even speak. And then she died very shortly after that.

I think in those instances it would be better for the shows to do location scenes for them. Go to a beloved star like that rather than have them come to you.
Now that is a good idea. Of course, the issue remains that she does have a difficult time reading lines and such but they could just do like they did last 4th of July and last Christmas and just give her a line or two. It would be worth it just to see her but who knows what her living arrangement is and if it would be able to accommodate what is needed to shoot scenes and so on. They would probably have to follow what GL does (which I would not encourage :laugh: ). I don't think cost has anything to do with it in this case.

I just hope she is well. That is all that matters.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jun 22 2008, 01:37 AM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Seriously, bitch about anything with Days..But don't bitch that they aren't making the effort to use Francis Reid..The woman is 94 years old...Do any of you plan to be working at the time, let alone be alive??? And being an actor on a soap is not an easy job..Like Phoenix said, i think they would definitely use her more if they could, but she's not able to work and the process it self is probably very hard for her now....So they are just hoping to get her for the big holidays, so the Horton traditions can continue..

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Jun 22 2008, 12:06 AM

I should also add that the show does want to use her more. It's just some cases, like this one, are more publicized then others. I remember hearing that they wanted her at Lumi's wedding but she was unable. They also wanted to use her in March when Bo was dying. It was even mentioned in SOD and onscreen but she was unable. She is just unable and, considering how hard she is on herself, I bet she would be very upset the more they give her that she is unable to do so it's best to just use her for family events and such so that you limit her upset and the amount of times she gets disappointed because she is unable to come in to work.

I don't think having her come in to shoot scenes when she is able will work either. I think she just isn't able to work much period. As I said, the show has tried to use her more but she has been unable. Plus, if you do try to shoot when she is able, who knows if the other actors can come in or what you have to shift around to make that happen.

I really wish we could see her but it's not her fault nor the show's. I just hope we see her again at Christmas.
I didn't know about all this?

I won't bitch anymore then :huh:

jane1978

Kevc1980
Jun 22 2008, 04:31 AM
Seriously, bitch about anything with Days..But don't bitch that they aren't making the effort to use Francis Reid..The woman is 94 years old...Do any of you plan to be working at the time, let alone be alive??? And being an actor on a soap is not an easy job..Like Phoenix said, i think they would definitely use her more if they could, but she's not able to work and the process it self is probably very hard for her now....So they are just hoping to get her for the big holidays, so the Horton traditions can continue..
I agree, but I also think itīs time to work in her real age and real health status into the show more. I mean, many times they are still talking about Alice like she is perfectly healthy and taking care of her grand grand grand children. Thatīs stupid. Everybody knows how fragile Frances really is.

I also agree they should try to visit her in her home/wherever she is now. Letīs say the show admits Alice had to be put in the care center too and few important Hortonīs decides to visit her on christmas, while in reality the scene will tape at Franceīs. Itīs nothing impossible. And it will prepare people for the inevitable.
Edited by jane1978, Jun 22 2008, 04:51 AM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

jane1978
Jun 22 2008, 04:51 AM
Kevc1980
I agree, but I also think itīs time to work in her real age and real health status into the show more. I mean, many times they are still talking about Alice like she is perfectly healthy and taking care of her grand grand grand children. Thatīs stupid. Everybody knows how fragile Frances really is.

I also agree they should try to visit her in her home/wherever she is now. Letīs say the show admits Alice had to be put in the care center too and few important Hortonīs decides to visit her on christmas, while in reality the scene will tape at Franceīs. Itīs nothing impossible. And it will prepare people for the inevitable.
That is a good thought, although how would Frances take that? They just need to tread carefully with her. I'm sure Ken Corday could care less after she blasted him (bless her heart. Go, Frances!!). It's best to be handled by her family and her medical professionals as which route to take. I am curious as to how Corday does treat her or regard her after she spoke her mind. He doesn't like cold hard truth, I don't think.

94 and still trying.......That in itself takes a lot of courage and tenacity. And that's why we love her. But, it's time we consider Frances the woman instead of Alice the character.

It's so cool to see all the Frances love here!.

jane1978

ladyofthelake
Jun 22 2008, 09:01 AM
jane1978
Jun 22 2008, 04:51 AM
Kevc1980

That is a good thought, although how would Frances take that? They just need to tread carefully with her. I'm sure Ken Corday could care less after she blasted him (bless her heart. Go, Frances!!). It's best to be handled by her family and her medical professionals as which route to take. I am curious as to how Corday does treat her or regard her after she spoke her mind. He doesn't like cold hard truth, I don't think.

94 and still trying.......That in itself takes a lot of courage and tenacity. And that's why we love her. But, it's time we consider Frances the woman instead of Alice the character.

It's so cool to see all the Frances love here!.
Oh, I had always feeling Corday is very nice and friendly as person. He is not the best producer in the world but from all we know he treats his people very well, thatīs probably why he never has trouble to lure them back. This is tough times and the genre is dying, he has to try everything to keep the ship above water as long as possible. Itīs not easy for anyone. But I donīt think there is bad blood between him and Frances or whoever else.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply