Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Frances Reid Update (from Jason's site)
Topic Started: Jun 21 2008, 05:03 PM (2,614 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

I agree that DAYS should write into the show the failing health of Alice. I agree that age 93 it's stupid for DAYS to be writing that she's babysitting Ciara. They should say that Alice is fragile and ill and not able to attend the picnic, etc. They should have explained when Mickey wasn't on the show that he was caring for Alice. They could explain that for when Doug & Julie aren't on the show as well, they could say they're caring for Alice.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
Jun 22 2008, 04:40 AM
PhoenixRising05
Jun 22 2008, 12:06 AM

I should also add that the show does want to use her more. It's just some cases, like this one, are more publicized then others. I remember hearing that they wanted her at Lumi's wedding but she was unable. They also wanted to use her in March when Bo was dying. It was even mentioned in SOD and onscreen but she was unable. She is just unable and, considering how hard she is on herself, I bet she would be very upset the more they give her that she is unable to do so it's best to just use her for family events and such so that you limit her upset and the amount of times she gets disappointed because she is unable to come in to work.

I don't think having her come in to shoot scenes when she is able will work either. I think she just isn't able to work much period. As I said, the show has tried to use her more but she has been unable. Plus, if you do try to shoot when she is able, who knows if the other actors can come in or what you have to shift around to make that happen.

I really wish we could see her but it's not her fault nor the show's. I just hope we see her again at Christmas.
I didn't know about all this?

I won't bitch anymore then :huh:
I'm shocked you didn't know about her scheduled appearance during Bo's illness. That was in SOD and I believe Maggie even mentioned onscreen she was going to get Alice or something and the next episode it was never mentioned.

Whatever the case, they do want to use her but it's just very hard for her and when she doesn't feel up to it, then it's a definite no. I still recall in early 2007 when rumors circulated that her doctors did not want her working AT ALL. I still wonder if maybe she isn't supposed to work but she wants to in some capacity so Days works with her and when she is able, she appears. I just hope she is well and that we see her for Christmas.

The idea of writing her health in is an uncomfortable one. I don't know if she would want it and I don't know if the show would want it. Some stars are very close to her so they may feel very uncomfortable playing it. It would be hard for me to watch it, especially right now with my grandmother being hospitalized and not doing so well. I think it would be very difficult and I even heard rumors that they were thinking of killing Mickey but since it's so hard for Frances they decided not to, thinking it may be uncomfortable to see her portraying scenes surrounding Mickey's death. That's just a rumor but I could see it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Red Mist
Member Avatar

awww I am concerned about her. I am afraid we may lose her very soon. I hate feeling this way.

Mason
Member Avatar

Obviously, Frances's health comes first. I don't think anyone's disagreeing with that. But, if she's feeling well enough to come in and say a couple lines, and if her doctors are fine with her doing it, then what harm could it do?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jun 22 2008, 12:57 PM
Obviously, Frances's health comes first. I don't think anyone's disagreeing with that. But, if she's feeling well enough to come in and say a couple lines, and if her doctors are fine with her doing it, then what harm could it do?
That's fine, Mason, but we don't know that and there were rumors last year of her doctors not wanting her to work AT ALL. It's known she has trouble saying lines period and it's difficult for her to come and go so I can understand it and you can't ask them to rearrange shooting when she is up to it. That's very unpredictable and you don't know what sort of complications could develop. Plus, it's known Frances is hard on herself so if she felt well and then came in and did not feel well and had to leave, that would make her feel even worse.

It's a difficult situation and Days has tried to use her but she's been unable several times. I'm sure the show will continue to attempt to use her at certain times when they feel she should be there but it's likely that most times she will be unable. That has been the case the past two years. I just hope we see her at Christmas because it's so comforting to have her present, even if she says nothing.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 22 2008, 02:02 PM
Mason
Jun 22 2008, 12:57 PM
That's fine, Mason, but we don't know that and there were rumors last year of her doctors not wanting her to work AT ALL. It's known she has trouble saying lines period and it's difficult for her to come and go so I can understand it and you can't ask them to rearrange shooting when she is up to it. That's very unpredictable and you don't know what sort of complications could develop. Plus, it's known Frances is hard on herself so if she felt well and then came in and did not feel well and had to leave, that would make her feel even worse.

It's a difficult situation and Days has tried to use her but she's been unable several times. I'm sure the show will continue to attempt to use her at certain times when they feel she should be there but it's likely that most times she will be unable. That has been the case the past two years. I just hope we see her at Christmas because it's so comforting to have her present, even if she says nothing.
I KNOW ALL OF THAT. I was speaking hypothetically. Sheesh...
Edited by Mason, Jun 22 2008, 02:35 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Well, how was I supposed to know that? :laugh:

Sorry, Mason if I misinterpreted. It's hard to tell with so many people upset with Days lately. I just feel this issue is out of their control so I responded based on what I thought you meant.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jun 22 2008, 03:13 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm very sad that we're not going to see Alice this 4th of July. It's just tradition and it's hard when tradition is broken. I hope we do get to see her at Christmas.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I just hope that when Frances finally passes, Days gives her one hell of a tribute..Frances is a legend and truly deserves it..I know i'll be balling when it finally happens, as she's been like a 3rd grandma to me for the past 21 years..

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Jun 22 2008, 05:02 PM
I just hope that when Frances finally passes, Days gives her one hell of a tribute..Frances is a legend and truly deserves it..I know i'll be balling when it finally happens, as she's been like a 3rd grandma to me for the past 21 years..
Agreed. Alice Horton has been like a grandmother to all DAYS fans.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

DrewHamilton
Jun 22 2008, 04:51 PM
I'm very sad that we're not going to see Alice this 4th of July. It's just tradition and it's hard when tradition is broken. I hope we do get to see her at Christmas.
I wouldnt classify the Brady/Horton 4th of July a tradition. Up untill a year or two ago, the last time it had even been featured was 1998.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

DrewHamilton
Jun 22 2008, 05:37 PM
Kevc1980
Agreed. Alice Horton has been like a grandmother to all DAYS fans.
Agreed. I hope she does get better, or as better as someone her age can get.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Oh, I can't even think about that without tearing up. :(

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Just the mere thought of her being gone one day makes me tear up, especially with my grandmother's current condition.

I grew up watching Frances and I just hope she is well and will continue to appear whenever she can. Her presence is always a comfort to me.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew
Jun 22 2008, 05:41 PM
DrewHamilton
Jun 22 2008, 04:51 PM
I wouldnt classify the Brady/Horton 4th of July a tradition. Up untill a year or two ago, the last time it had even been featured was 1998.
Actually, they had it in 2002 during the meteor shower but yeah it was basically forgotten from that point until last year. I'm glad they brought it back and hope it is a yearly tradition but I can see how often times, as has happened in the past, cliffhangers steer the show away from doing it but I do enjoy it so I hope we continue to see it every year.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I forgot about 2002, but there wasnt one in 1999, 2000 or 2001.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Yep. 1999 we got J&M's wedding and we got the Last Blast Dance in 2000 and 2001. The Last Blast Dance happened in mid June 2002 so they had room to do the 4th of July BBQ although I would've much preferred the BBQ. The dances were alright but I much prefer family gatherings.

HJBJDJ

I don't get the 'tradition' of the Brady Horton 4th of July. Seems like you all only named 3 instances of such a 'tradition' in the last 10 years. 20 years ago on the 4th of July, Kim and Kayla Brady were being terrorized by Harper Deveraux, as he was unmasked as the River Front Knifer. Doesn't sound much like a picnic to me. lol

I don't recall any of these 4th of July Horton /Brady picnics in the 80's or very early 90's either. So just when did this 'tradition' start? And exactly how many times has this actually tradition happened?

As for Francis, at that age it is very unstable what her condition could be from different parts of the day even. She's 94 years old. It's been known for a few years that she is not in very good health. And every year we are still amazed that she is still alive and in the Christmas episode. Everytime I do see her on the show, it is harder and harder to watch her. I don't like seeing her in such a way. I also don't want DAYS to just bring her out and put her on display just to say they have her. Francis is also a very proud woman. She wouldn't want to be seen if she wasn't up the to work, looking her best. And it's respectful to Francis to not allow her to be seen not at her best.

Anyone remember all those pictures of Bob Hope when they were wheeling him all over the place for special events here and there. He seemed like he didn't even know where he was or what he was doing there.

angelbaby19212
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Jun 21 2008, 07:29 PM
I think they should have an open door policy with her--any day Frances feels up to it, she should come in and tape a few lines and then they could insert them in an episode. Just a short scene with Maggie or Hope or Julie (if she's around at the time) would be wonderful.
I agree. She deserves an open door policy.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

An "open door" policy is unrealistic. You cant just say "surprise" and show up out of the blue in the afternoon to tape scenes. Tape WHAT scenes?? I know it doesnt feel like it anymore with Days, but scenes and events have to be written.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply