Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Frances Reid Update (from Jason's site)
Topic Started: Jun 21 2008, 05:03 PM (2,655 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Agreed, Drew.

I love Frances dearly but there would be just too many complications and who is to say Frances would still be able to make it in. She could say ok and then turn around and hour later and not feel up to it. Then the show is screwed and I think Frances isn't too big on the show shifting things around to accommodate her. She seems like he type to not want that. She would want to be treated the same as everyone, I would think.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FanODays

I fear that FR's status is symbolic with many problems the show has been having. Tom and Alice, and Alice after Tom's death provided a core for the show, something to always bring it back home, literally and figuratively. Days never groomed anyone to succeed (not replace) Tom and Alice. I miss the scenes in the Horton living room with the pictures around the room and that sense of home. Chez Rouge and the Pub just don't cut it.

I remember years ago AW had the same issue with the Matthews, what was the wife's name, Nancy? When she died the show started losing its focus and became too broad and I fear the same is happening with Days.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

The Matthews family matriarch was Mary. I believe they killed her off in 1975. Matthews patriarch Jim died in 1982 when the actor who played him died. However, mostly by that time all the Matthews family was written off save for Liz (who went through long periods of not even being seen). They'd throw some Matthewses onto the canvas every few years as a pufunctory nod to history, but the focus of the show had already shifted to the Cory family (hell, during a long spell in the mid-1980s, even Mac & Rachel hardly saw any action or story) and the Love family. By the late 1980s, AW was almost a completely different show than it'd been in the late 1970s. IMO, the biggest loss the show never fully recovered from was the death of Douglass Watson (and the resulting death of Mac Cory). He'd sequed nicely from mature leading man into show patriarch. They tried to focus everything around Rachel, but (IMO) once Constance Ford (Ada) died, the character lost a *lot* of her grounding.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FanODays

Matt
Jul 21 2008, 10:03 AM
The Matthews family matriarch was Mary. I believe they killed her off in 1975. Matthews patriarch Jim died in 1982 when the actor who played him died. However, mostly by that time all the Matthews family was written off save for Liz (who went through long periods of not even being seen). They'd throw some Matthewses onto the canvas every few years as a pufunctory nod to history, but the focus of the show had already shifted to the Cory family (hell, during a long spell in the mid-1980s, even Mac & Rachel hardly saw any action or story) and the Love family. By the late 1980s, AW was almost a completely different show than it'd been in the late 1970s. IMO, the biggest loss the show never fully recovered from was the death of Douglass Watson (and the resulting death of Mac Cory). He'd sequed nicely from mature leading man into show patriarch. They tried to focus everything around Rachel, but (IMO) once Constance Ford (Ada) died, the character lost a *lot* of her grounding.
Mary Matthews...........thanks it was driving me nuts.

I see Days doing the same thing that AW did with similar results. Something has been lost that didn't have to be if Corday would look at the big picture. Let Doug and Julie stick around and decide to put their time into charitable organizations in Salem and be tne new core. They don't need to be in everything but there for support and to reinforce the idea of family. Julie shouldn't be Alice but she can be Julie and it could really help the show.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

And considering how Julie has a tradition of meddling, I could see her getting her fingers into a slew of Horton personal pies. Another thing that hurts the Horton family aspect is the lack of a constant family through-line. On other long-running series with a strong core family, one of the chidren's subsequent families has always moved to the forefront while the other branches drift away. On ATWT, it was Bob and his family that became the focus while both Penny & Don faded away. On GL, Ed and his family stayed at the center (for the most part, barring the last few years) while Mike & Hillary fell by the wayside. On OLTL, Viki's brood became the key surviving Lord line in regards to family. Days, on the other hand, scattered. If Days had really planned accordingly, Bill should've been the logical patriarch successor as the only male Horton child with several children with Laura remaining as his wife. They had Mike & Jennifer (who were both central characters in the 1980s) with both Mike & Jenn having kids of their own. IMO, there were a lot of missed opportunities there. Mickey & Maggie could've done it, but they hardly even discuss their own children (adopted, foster, etc.). Doug & Julie could step up to the plate, but Hope is the only child they even mention (and she's really Julie's 1/2 sister). Now, if they did make D&J the new core mature couple, I think they'd really need to consider bringing David Banning back (as Julie's only child) with a family of his own (perhaps with old flame Valerie Grant who it was said he'd left town to attempt and reunite with). Considering Valerie's African-American (and dated Abe briefly at one point), David & Valerie's kids would be mixed-race which would put a rather interesting spin on the long-standing white-bread Hortons.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FanODays

Matt
Jul 21 2008, 10:57 AM
And considering how Julie has a tradition of meddling, I could see her getting her fingers into a slew of Horton personal pies. Another thing that hurts the Horton family aspect is the lack of a constant family through-line. On other long-running series with a strong core family, one of the chidren's subsequent families has always moved to the forefront while the other branches drift away. On ATWT, it was Bob and his family that became the focus while both Penny & Don faded away. On GL, Ed and his family stayed at the center (for the most part, barring the last few years) while Mike & Hillary fell by the wayside. On OLTL, Viki's brood became the key surviving Lord line in regards to family. Days, on the other hand, scattered. If Days had really planned accordingly, Bill should've been the logical patriarch successor as the only male Horton child with several children with Laura remaining as his wife. They had Mike & Jennifer (who were both central characters in the 1980s) with both Mike & Jenn having kids of their own. IMO, there were a lot of missed opportunities there. Mickey & Maggie could've done it, but they hardly even discuss their own children (adopted, foster, etc.). Doug & Julie could step up to the plate, but Hope is the only child they even mention (and she's really Julie's 1/2 sister). Now, if they did make D&J the new core mature couple, I think they'd really need to consider bringing David Banning back (as Julie's only child) with a family of his own (perhaps with old flame Valerie Grant who it was said he'd left town to attempt and reunite with). Considering Valerie's African-American (and dated Abe briefly at one point), David & Valerie's kids would be mixed-race which would put a rather interesting spin on the long-standing white-bread Hortons.
Bring Scotty back, Ric Hearst isn't doing much these days on GH.

There are plenty of Hortons on canvas they just need to bring them back together within the stories and not just events where we are then reminded that Nick is a Horton because he calls Maggie 'aunt' and Mickey 'uncle.' Changing Lucas' name to Horton was bogus. Yeah we get that Hope is his cousin but how about having her act like one.

If they are going to use Frances Reid it should be in a scene where Lucas brings her namesake, Ali to her, sure have Caroline there too but make it about the Horton family.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply