Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; For the week of June 23
Topic Started: Jun 23 2008, 02:28 AM (3,650 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jun 24 2008, 02:02 PM
Maybe my reaction is because the DAYS standard that is in my head is set by the JER days when characters would have a secret that the viewers would know about but that the character would try to keep from everyone else (often resulting in sometimes comical monologue voice overs as they thought about their big secret hanging over them) and viewers would tune in day after day in anticipation of when that other shoe would drop. However hokey, that is just something that I liked a lot and that I find makes for a more enjoyable soap experience.

God, yes! I just posted about this on another forum, LoL.

For me personally, one of the most enjoyable things about watching a soap opera is when we know all the character's secrets and we watch as they try to keep those secrets under wraps. Yet with Higley writing, we're kept in the dark about all of the character's secrets and as a result, the viewing experience isn't as fun... it's just annoying. How are we supposed to care when we don't know the full story of what's going on? I'm just left scratching my head all over the place, because nothing makes sense. Am I too thickheaded to "get it" or is she really just missing the boat that badly?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Days4Life

Kenny
Jun 24 2008, 04:22 PM
IMissAremid
Maybe my reaction is because the DAYS standard that is in my head is set by the JER days when characters would have a secret that the viewers would know about but that the character would try to keep from everyone else (often resulting in sometimes comical monologue voice overs as they thought about their big secret hanging over them) and viewers would tune in day after day in anticipation of when that other shoe would drop. However hokey, that is just something that I liked a lot and that I find makes for a more enjoyable soap experience.

For me personally, one of the most enjoyable things about watching a soap opera is when we know all the character's secrets and we watch as they try to keep those secrets under wraps. Yet with Higley writing, we're kept in the dark about all of the character's secrets and as a result, the viewing experience isn't as fun... it's just annoying. How are we supposed to care when we don't know the full story of what's going on? I'm just left scratching my head all over the place, because nothing makes sense. Am I too thickheaded to "get it" or is she really just missing the boat that badly?
She's not only missing the boat...she's sinking it. Whatever her intentions may be, I keep thinking the reason we aren't finding out about her various "secrets" is that she's simply making up things as she goes along. And the lack of follow through is frustrating. She keeps inserting scenes like EJ and Steve's meeting at the Pub and EJ meeting with the immigration guy and then instead of following up on them, we're left guessing. I assume EJ and Steve were meeting about the apartment, but it wasn't explained. I assume EJ met with the immigration guy because it was a set-up, but that hasn't been explained either. Now we have Bo discussing a surprise for Hope, which sounds like a big deal, but I'm sure it's just a special dinner or something. Add to that the Daniel/Kate secret and the Nicole/Trent secret and we have a big mess of secrets that had better be explained soon or I won't even care any more.

John's behavior was very curious today. When he's with Marlena, he seems to want a relationship with her; however, today he was very ambivalent about it when talking to Sami. He told Marlena he's just friends with Ava, but he was still flirty with her today. Has John turned into a player...or does he have a secret agenda, too?

Surprisingly, I liked the Lucas/EJ scenes today. I think both of them are as sick of Sami as I am.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

John referred to Sami as his soon to be ex daughter in law today. He should have said step-daughter!

I liked the show today. The EJ/Lucas scenes were good and Max/Caroline was too. Sami's reaction to Lucas and EJ was funny!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Tripp
Jun 24 2008, 03:28 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2008, 02:54 PM
^Max doesn't remember, Tripp. He found that out. How...I don't know. All I can think of is that he hired a P.I. at some point or found the stuff out on his own. I mean, he did spend alot of time offscreen the past 3 years with little story so I can buy that.

Oh, I missed that part. Sorry.

Quote:

As for the Kate/Daniel thing, I would love for it to have taken place offscreen. I like a little mystery and, while I don't want them to do this alot, it works for this story because they built up Daniel as this God among men who has this tragic background and is this genius. I would love for it to be what I mentioned in my last post. Chelsea gets involved deeply and Kate learns about it, tells her about the affair with Daniel and how he dumped her and Chelsea and her have rift between them. Chelsea thinks Kate is lying just to keep her away from him or something and then maybe have us learn that he had an affair with Lexie too and really go the distance with this. I think this kind of story has potential (especially given his behavior at the gym and the way he was looking at woman) and could lead to some major drama. It would really play well into a hard fall from grace for Daniel and I think it takes the audience for a ride because the show really built him up as Mr. Perfect and usually that does mean trouble but the whole thing with his wife really plays well into convincing the audience he's a great guy. I just think there is potential here but we'll see.

I'd love for Daniel to be knocked off this ridiculous OTT pedestal they have established for him but I don't think it's going to go that way. I think Dena loves her little manipulative red herrings and wants us to BELIEVE Dan and Kate did it and so she will milk this along until the real secret is revealed. However, if Dena can't get ratings up and Chan is going along the wayside, she can use her "secret" then to reveal Kate and Daniel had been doing it before he got with Chelsea to end Chan. It's just hedging her bets.

And finally, I don't think Daniel's wife Rebecca is every going to get mentioned again. Maybe someone will say something in regards to how he is a widower and the pain of losing his wife (whom he barely knew and only married her cause she was terminal) in passing, but I think that was simply Dena's typical hack method of drawing up sympathy for Daniel.

What I would give if the Kate's secret wound up her digging into Daniel's background and found out Rebecca is the spitting image of Chelsea. Now that, would be creepy!
Oh, I like the idea of Chelsea resembling Rebecca. Good idea, Tripp.

I don't like knowing the secrets all the time. I'm not saying every story needs to do this but it is nice once in awhile to have a secret where the audience needs to try to put the pieces together along with the other characters. It adds to investment and enthralls you. Look what happened with the SSK. Once we knew it was Marlena, the story went downhill. The mystery was gone. Sometimes you need to just go along for a ride. It adds to the impact of the climax.

Nicole/Trent has only been going on for a week so I can't believe people are already inpatient with it :laugh: . Yes, Dena has a thing for red herrings and dropping things but I doubt the Nicole/Trent and Kate/Daniel stuff will be dropped. These seem a bit more planned IMO. The Bo/Caroline thing I doubt is a big deal. I would be shocked if it were, although tomorrow's stuff with Bo and hope makes me wonder a bit.

I forgot to add that Lucas and EJ were great conversing about Sami today and I love how they just walked away from her to finish talking and she was wondering what the hell just happened. Enjoyed that alot. She just walked in all oblivious to them getting along. It was more important that she find out if EJ really almost had sex with Nicole LOL. Nice to see Lucas and EJ civil for a change. And I really enjoyed the John/Nicole/Ava scene at the end. Nicole and John were hilarious. The way he smiled at Ava and frowned when he saw Nicole with her was priceless and I just loved Nicole being shocked that she said she was sick of messing with Sami's life LOL. John's gold digging comments were amusing too and Nicole just agreed with it LOL. A very fun scene.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jun 24 2008, 11:11 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2008, 08:23 PM

Oh, I like the idea of Chelsea resembling Rebecca. Good idea, Tripp.

I don't like knowing the secrets all the time. I'm not saying every story needs to do this but it is nice once in awhile to have a secret where the audience needs to try to put the pieces together along with the other characters. It adds to investment and enthralls you. Look what happened with the SSK. Once we knew it was Marlena, the story went downhill. The mystery was gone. Sometimes you need to just go along for a ride. It adds to the impact of the climax.

I thought of her looking just like Rebecca from the very beginning. They made it clear he was young when he met her so presumably she was young and it might explain why he had such a weird reaction to when Chelsea took a turn for the worst. Not that Dena digs into that because it gives the character layers or anything. It's much more important for him to share a story of swimming with sharks off the coast of Australia.

And I see what you are saying and if this were setup better as well as having faith in Dena, I could get accept it. But since she came aboard she's loved this red herring thing and so it's difficult to trust anything we've seen. If she does follow through with Kate/Daniel I will forever believe not showing it was because they were scared people already saw fireworks between LK and SC and were too afraid it would overshadow Chan (which it does IMO.)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I doubt that. I don't think they worry about things like a couple being overshadowed by another couple, although maybe they do. Afterall, Shelle were axed when Shawn/Chloe and Philip/Belle started taking off. I just don't think Corday and Higley think about that kind of stuff.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2008, 09:35 PM
^I doubt that. I don't think they worry about things like a couple being overshadowed by another couple, although maybe they do. Afterall, Shelle were axed when Shawn/Chloe and Philip/Belle started taking off. I just don't think Corday and Higley think about that kind of stuff.
I know and maybe it's the conspiracy person inside me, but when Dan first came on, magazines and blogs were focusing on Kate and Daniel, not Chelsea and Daniel (course I blame this on SC to some extent who seems far more comfortable in scenes opposite LK than RM.)

Then suddenly he and Kate are in zero scenes together but he's still obviously in Chelsea's path. I just think they realized they were creating a situation they weren't planning on since nobody seemed to realize that given SC is closer to age to LK, people automatically presumed she was his new love interest.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^That's a good point, Tripp. However, I will add that there was also a rumor going around that he may end up with Hope. It was in SID in an article about SC. It mentioned he may come between Bo and Hope and people went nuts and it turned into nothing.

I actually think they left things vague and wanted to see where the chemistry was at. I think they wanted Chan to begin with but the negative feedback outweighed the positive (much like what happened with the EJ/Sami scenes) and now they are using what they set up to toss Kate into this in what will, ultimately, end up being the end of Chan. That doesn't mean Kate will end up with Daniel but I do think Kate will be used as a vehicle to destroying Daniel's perfect image and any chance he has with Chelsea. I don't think that was the plan, more like a plan B if people disliked Chan. It's actually remarkable how much it makes sense. Kate was offscreen quite a bit. There were sparks with her and Daniel and she pushed Chelsea to pursue Daniel when he first arrived. Chelsea balked so Kate did but did it in secret. it makes sense within the story but we'll see if my theories are similar or even correct at all.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Days4Life
Jun 24 2008, 06:52 PM
Kenny
Jun 24 2008, 04:22 PM
IMissAremid

She's not only missing the boat...she's sinking it. Whatever her intentions may be, I keep thinking the reason we aren't finding out about her various "secrets" is that she's simply making up things as she goes along. And the lack of follow through is frustrating. She keeps inserting scenes like EJ and Steve's meeting at the Pub and EJ meeting with the immigration guy and then instead of following up on them, we're left guessing. I assume EJ and Steve were meeting about the apartment, but it wasn't explained. I assume EJ met with the immigration guy because it was a set-up, but that hasn't been explained either. Now we have Bo discussing a surprise for Hope, which sounds like a big deal, but I'm sure it's just a special dinner or something. Add to that the Daniel/Kate secret and the Nicole/Trent secret and we have a big mess of secrets that had better be explained soon or I won't even care any more.

John's behavior was very curious today. When he's with Marlena, he seems to want a relationship with her; however, today he was very ambivalent about it when talking to Sami. He told Marlena he's just friends with Ava, but he was still flirty with her today. Has John turned into a player...or does he have a secret agenda, too?

Surprisingly, I liked the Lucas/EJ scenes today. I think both of them are as sick of Sami as I am.
I disagree. In fact, Dena has proven she has a road map by the EJ twist. I won't spoil it for those who don't know. But he secretly met -- lest we forget -- with the person he was shockingly conspiring with (though that hadn't been revealed yet) WEEKS ago. The twist comes out in future episodes. You just have to watch carefully. Higley's "Days," regardless of what you think about her skills or stories, requires a bit more work and reading between the lines, than JER's did.
Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

But watching a soap and understanding what the hell is going on shouldn't be WORK.

Good storytelling is effortless. And that's not just a JER thing. I mean do people find these same sort of problems on other soaps right now? Because I don't.

And I disagree that what's coming up with EJ shows she has a roadmap. To me it screams of rewrite after the fact when the show decided to jerk the triangle back another way.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2008, 09:59 PM
^That's a good point, Tripp. However, I will add that there was also a rumor going around that he may end up with Hope. It was in SID in an article about SC. It mentioned he may come between Bo and Hope and people went nuts and it turned into nothing.

I actually think they left things vague and wanted to see where the chemistry was at. I think they wanted Chan to begin with but the negative feedback outweighed the positive (much like what happened with the EJ/Sami scenes) and now they are using what they set up to toss Kate into this in what will, ultimately, end up being the end of Chan. That doesn't mean Kate will end up with Daniel but I do think Kate will be used as a vehicle to destroying Daniel's perfect image and any chance he has with Chelsea. I don't think that was the plan, more like a plan B if people disliked Chan. It's actually remarkable how much it makes sense. Kate was offscreen quite a bit. There were sparks with her and Daniel and she pushed Chelsea to pursue Daniel when he first arrived. Chelsea balked so Kate did but did it in secret. it makes sense within the story but we'll see if my theories are similar or even correct at all.
I wish you were right Phoenix they are going to now end chan. But I've heard rumor from "inside sources" on another board that they are going full steam ahead with Chan (but then it is rumor so maybe this person is wrong or got wrong info). That even though they realize that this couple hasn't taken off like they thought they would (which is an understatement) but they are still committed to it. I think RM also said they were still going forward with Chan at the Emmy's.

Of course now I am forced to watch this week's date which of course is watching fortysomething surfing doc take out his college aged and former patient lady love to her ex-boyfriend's aunt's restaurant. Not sure how I'm supposed to enjoy this, the snark ability has disappeared entirely.

Days4Life

IMissAremid
Jun 25 2008, 05:02 AM
But watching a soap and understanding what the hell is going on shouldn't be WORK.

Good storytelling is effortless. And that's not just a JER thing. I mean do people find these same sort of problems on other soaps right now? Because I don't.

And I disagree that what's coming up with EJ shows she has a roadmap. To me it screams of rewrite after the fact when the show decided to jerk the triangle back another way.
If DAYS had a writer I could trust, I would be willing to invest the "work" needed to understand her stories. However, I don't trust DH and have zero confidence that she has a long-range plan. The show has felt too unfocused lately. It appears she may now be picking a direction on some of the stories, but I'm not going to get too excited about it because of that trust issue I mentioned. Also, I don't like her stories so why should I bother wasting my time to figure out what's going on? A fanbase or Ken Corday will probably force it to change anyway.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Jun 25 2008, 05:02 AM

Actually, I do see them. There just a bit more blatant about showing people doing mysterious behavior. Higley just gives you quick scenes but the Nicole/Trent and Kate/Daniel stuff has been a bit more consistent in being shown. I don't consider it work. I find it to be fun. I don't like things being so obvious. It's boring. I like piecing things together and figuring things out. At the very least it makes things interesting. It makes me feel like the show is treating me like I have intelligence to figure these things out and it also helps investment because it intrigues me enough to tune in to find out what is going on.

Days4Life, your right that it's hard to trust the show but I think I'm past that point now. I just hope for good stories. I've already accepted that no matter who writes, most people won't be happy and the fanbases and/or Corday will eventually just change gears. Its why this show has been in trouble for so long. I just sit back and enjoy it now.

Days4Life

During Bo and Hope's dinner when he was talking about how they came so close to losing each other, I was waiting for him to say "Hey, Fancy Face, let's have Nick build us a 'green' SUV, quit our jobs and become bounty hunters so we can spend all our time together."

Bo looks younger than Daniel! Seriously, he does.

I got bored during the show and started channel surfing; came across a "Tales of the Darkside" on SciFi with a very young Allison Sweeney. She was about 10 and was very cute. I think that's the first time I've seen her on anything besides DAYS and TBL.

I'm not real excited about this autism storyline, but RJ and JR are doing a good job with it. Lexie looks so sad!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

FINALLY! Someone is not okay with this Daniel and Chelsea pairing. I'm glad they wrote Bo this way today.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

DrewHamilton
Jun 25 2008, 02:54 PM
FINALLY! Someone is not okay with this Daniel and Chelsea pairing. I'm glad they wrote Bo this way today.
Honestly I'm not thrilled with it. I mean, of course I'm glad, but I feel like he's being written in as a makeshift obstacle to Chan issues with getting together (since there weren't any before). And ditto that PR looks younger than SC.

Loved Steve's talk with Max. Good bringing up of history with Duke coming to town though I think honestly Max needs a reality check. Trent hasn't done anything to him instead of 'Making his life a living hell" and compare that to what both Steve and Adrienne went through...well. Now Nicole is obviously someone who can talk about making her life a living hell with Trent. That was the most interesting part of the show for me today.
Edited by Tripp, Jun 25 2008, 03:25 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Well, Morgan was also not ok with it and we know Kate won't be either so there have been people not ok with it. Hope was even a bit worried about it.

I did like the Chelsea/Daniel stuff today. I'm glad they at least played out her worry and Bo's reaction was good. Loved his line about Daniel (can't recall it but it as funny). I wonder what Bo is up to. Maybe he is taking Hope away on a vacation or something. Hmm...

Nicole/Trent was interesting. Ari and Roscoe are rocking this. I feel so scared for Nicole. Trent is a creepy guy and we really get some insight into their past tomorrow. I like how Bo and Hope called attention to them being there too and how Nicole knows Max is Trent's son.

Max/Stephanie were boring but I did like Stephanie helping Chelsea, even if it was for a date with Daniel. I like little things like that. Nice to see Caroline again, as well as Roman. Like that Chloe told him about Paul. Good movement there and having Morgan there was a plus. Glad they are at least mentioning Joe but they really dropped the ball on that story. I did like Steve and Max's talk and the Steve, Kayla, and Roman scenes. Like the Duke reference too.

Lexie/Abe/Marlena was my favorite today. Really enjoyed the DJ/Don reference and Dee, Renee, and James played it out well today. Good start for this story so far. Hope it continues.

Liked the end with Rolf, John, and Marlena. Rolf got pale as a ghost seeing that disk. I can't figure out why Lucas is eavesdropping though. Guess he has nothing better to do LOL.

Good episode today.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Loved Nicole and Trent...mysterious, but it sounded like she was a willing participant in whatever they did....but maybe she was a teen at the time and he was her "father figure" of sort.
Didn't they drop a segment where Nicole said that she had just one question for Trent...then it cut to commercial and when it came back, they were talking about something else? Did I miss the question?
Don't know what happened, but Roscoe is one freaky dude when he wants to be.

I laughed out loud at Bo's reaction to Dan/Chelsea! I love it! But yea, Bo and Dan look the same age...but the age thing doesn't bother me. Chelsea grinning like a teenager at whatever Dan says annoys me a bit. Maybe I just forgot about that young love thing...

Good show today.
Lots of characters mixing it up. I really like that!

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

Okay, so who wants to take a guess at who I'm making fun of?

*clears throat*

"Like OMG!! I'm late...I'm late!! For a very important date! No time to say "Hello," Goodbye! I'm late! I'm late! I'm LATE!"

Ugh, seriously though, I have four older sisters and I've NEVER seen any one of them act like that before going on a date with someone they really liked. It was incredibly nauseating how childishly giddy she was before and during the "date". I'd never act like that over a man, I don't care who he is.

Oh, and Bo rules.

crymsinnstar74
Member Avatar

Hi all. I am new here. Lately..Days has really been lacking. Used to be my fav show. Now..ugh.

I would like to invite all of you to sign a petition we started...The State of DOOL petition

maybe our voices will be heard, who knows?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply