Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
LATEST RATINGS: CBS Up in Viewers; DAYS plummets in 18-34 & 18-49
Topic Started: Jun 26 2008, 09:39 PM (3,362 Views)
Manny
Member Avatar

Wow.. look at Y&R... they are down A LOT compared to last year! .6 in HH, 500.000 in viewers... horrible...

Hopefully, this can change with the arrival of Sheffer... although I'm not holding my breath. I still think they should get Kay Alden back... Can they do that? Since she wrote B&B during the strike?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jules

Alligato
Jun 27 2008, 12:31 AM
I don't get it! Days hasn't been THAT bad...I know it is bad, but not losing thousands of viewers bad...not 1.8 bad!
What has happened? All characters are interacting, space aliens aren't coming from the sky, vets aren't reading letters, nobody is being raped, Touch the Sky is done...
We were climbing for a few months there...we were at 2.3 two months ago!

I really don't get the rhyme or reason for this sucktitude!
Knowing that this is not a couples board this post probablywon't be popular, but I just saw this post on another board and this is so true. There is not one rooting couple on this show. Right now we have Chelsea/Dan, Stax, EJ/Nicole. John/Ava and Lucas/Chloe. Bope and Payla are there, but not really. Marlena is now the third wheel. I tuned out the day Higley sent her packing to pimp John/Ava. That my reason for not watching the last three weeks. I'm sure others have their reasons, but basically why get invested in ANY couple when they will get trashed. And yes, Days has been that bad.
Edited by jules, Jun 27 2008, 07:30 AM.

Manny
Member Avatar

jules
Jun 27 2008, 07:09 AM
Alligato
I don't get it! Days hasn't been THAT bad...I know it is bad, but not losing thousands of viewers bad...not 1.8 bad!
What has happened? All characters are interacting, space aliens aren't coming from the sky, vets aren't reading letters, nobody is being raped, Touch the Sky is done...

Knowing that this is not a couples board this probably, but I just saw this post on another board and this is so true. There is not one rooting couple on this show. Right now we have Chelsea/Dan, Stax, EJ/Nicole. John/Ava and Lucas/Chloe. Bope and Payla are there, but not really. Marlena is now the third wheel. I tuned out the day Higley sent her packing to pimp John/Ava. That my reason for not watching the last three weeks. I'm sure others have their reasons, but basically why get invested in ANY couple when they will get trashed. And yes, Days has been that bad.
Actually, same thing with Y&R.. I can not find one couple that I like currently on the show... weird... maybe soaps don't know how to do couples anymore...

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Alligato

Actually I liked Touch the Sky. Now don't get me wrong, it was introduced horribly in the most horrific way but it started to actually get good but by then viewers had been turned off and were FFing. Oh well.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I am not shocked about DAYs...I am hardly watching to not at all and I have let TPTB know why.

ginababe
BANNED

Last summer as awful as it was, was not THIS bad.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Couples are not the reason Days is struggling in the ratings. Maybe it's why they are struggling with some fans but it's not the reason behind the numbers.

As I said, if there is one thing you can't be for an extended period of time now in soaps it is boring. Hell, you can't even be boring for one week. You will pay for it and that has happened to Days and many of the shows. Earlier this year, Y&R was getting better but nothing of note was happening. After about two months, their numbers went into a downhill spiral similar to Days' last year and they are still falling. That happened to Days last year too. People can say what they want about Hogan but the lack of vets IMO was the secondary problem to the show having nothing of note going on from late January-April. Just look at what happened when Days starting having things happen. the numbers stabilized and by year's end they hit a 2.3 and then in February they hit a 2.4. They slow things down for 3 months and then the show begins to become direction-less in May and it drops after weeks of at least maintaining a 2.0-2.1. People gave it a chance and stuck with it for a bit but Days took too long to get going and they suffered for it. may was the deal breaker and I can see why. AMC, one of Days' time slot competitors in some markets, got better in May and that probably hurt. Also, this has nothing to do with me favoring Lumi or Ejami. I coudl care less about either but their was a MAJOR campaign done in response to the lovemaking and it was not just about Lumi fans. They played a part in it but alot of general fans were involved too so that was a recipe for disaster in May. The recent preemptions don't help either as Days has been all over the map time-wise so it's been a time of upheaval.

Next week is the key for me. If they can't reach a 2.0 for this past week since there were no preemptions, they are in big trouble with Wimbledon next week (a week they will definitely get low numbers in traditionally now) because no 2.0 next week makes me think they won't even rebound to that once Wimbledon is over. It just sets them up badly for the summer and for the Olympic period. We'll see but I'm starting to think it's time for a preemptive strike and Days should get rid of Dena now, even though I do think she is a goner soon anyway..
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jun 27 2008, 10:52 AM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

We can sit here for hours and dissect why the ratings for Days are falling, but it really comes down to one defining reason: nobody's interested in Higley's boring stories. Her couples suck, the stories suck, her writing team sucks... it all sucks.

Of course, it doesn't help that Days is the only soap on NBC, thus they don't have any sister shows whose audiences they can borrow from, but I digress. I still say the biggest reason for failure is Higley's boring stories. Uninspired, anti-climatic, slow and drowsy.
Edited by Kenny, Jun 27 2008, 10:59 AM.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Tim why are you calling for Dena to go? I am not being hateful with the question. And you are not the only one, but you brought it up so I will ask you.

Last year when we were calling for Hogan to be dismissed because of the low ratings, many said Days couldn't stand another writer change. That Corday needed to stick with Hogan and try to work things out.

Now all over the boards the same people who said then a writer change was bad and you just can't keep putting Days through one transition after another - are the same ones calling for Dena to be fired.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jun 27 2008, 10:58 AM
We can sit here for hours and dissect why the ratings for Days are falling, but it really comes down to one defining reason: nobody's interested in Higley's boring stories. Her couples suck, the stories suck, her writing team sucks... it all sucks.

Of course, it doesn't help that Days is the only soap on NBC, thus they don't have any sister shows whose audiences they can borrow from, but I digress. I still say the biggest reason for failure is Higley's boring stories. Uninspired, anti-climatic, slow and drowsy.
Yes I totally agree that is what it is. Just the same as I said last year. It was Hogan's boring stories last year.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

I cannot wait for GUIDING LIGHT to beat DOOL. I will be jumping up & down.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Steve Frame
Jun 27 2008, 11:00 AM
Kenny
Jun 27 2008, 10:58 AM

Yes I totally agree that is what it is. Just the same as I said last year. It was Hogan's boring stories last year.
I'm bored of the Higley vs. Hogan thing. Hogan wasn't perfect, but he did have moments of occasional greatness (IMO) and that's still something that can't be said for Higley. Regardless, Hogan's stuff last year has nothing to do with the discussion of here and now. The same goes for JER, same for Langan, same for SSM...

Plain and simple, the stories on Days have been lacking for YEARS now. We have moments of greatness, then it all turns to shit. Days is never great for more than two months before crashing and burning in one form or another. The headwriters all think that they can get by with mediocre work and Ken Corday -- dumbass that he is -- sits back and allows it to happen.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Actually, he doesn't allow it to happen, Kenny. He is the reason it does happen.

I'm not excusing the writers. Yes, they could still put out something better and some writers have. SSM and Langan still got some decent stuff out there despite Corday's interference. Hogan did as well, especially toward the end of his run (which was remarkable considering most of his stuff never made it onscreen). Even JER got some decent material onscreen. However, as long as Corday is there, this is what will happen. I've accepted it. Since JER left in 1997, he's began a pattern of thinking he knows what fans want and then having to backtrack because he screwed up. This has happened over and over again because he experiments whether it's with building up young couples or generations and backburnering the vets or simply going back to themes of the past like the Brady/Dimera feud and so on. He needs to just stop experimenting, stay out of the writing until his interference is needed, and let the writers write. I sometimes wonder what he reads or listens to. The guy has to get it by now. I mean, really. It's been over 10 years this has been going on and really the only lengthy period of consistency was January 2002-February 2003, B&C's period.

He is the big problem. The writers are a part of it (and, yes, I know every writer has dealt with interference but I just think Corday's a bit more aggressive) but it all goes back to Corday. I just wish Sony or someone would step in, put Corday in his place and say if he wants his show to survive he needs to stick to the business end of things and let Ed Scott control the show, and then I think we would see major improvement. Sadly, that will never happen.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Steve Frame
Jun 27 2008, 10:59 AM
Tim why are you calling for Dena to go? I am not being hateful with the question. And you are not the only one, but you brought it up so I will ask you.

Last year when we were calling for Hogan to be dismissed because of the low ratings, many said Days couldn't stand another writer change. That Corday needed to stick with Hogan and try to work things out.

Now all over the boards the same people who said then a writer change was bad and you just can't keep putting Days through one transition after another - are the same ones calling for Dena to be fired.
More or less, Steve, it's a preemptive strike because this summer is a bit different the last. Days had more things going for it. It had the Brady/Dimera thing that at least made things interesting, even if the story wasn't up to par. Things weren't as forced story-wise, with the exception of Lucas/Sami/EJ. I mean, this summer Days has the Olympic situation to worry about and these kind of numbers and storytelling can not carry into that time period or the result will be disastrous. Last year, Days had itself a whole summer after Wimbledon to focus on without interruption. This summer they will have a two week period in August where things will be kind of iffy with the time schedule. You want momentum going into that and with only a little over a month before that time period, Days is not looking good. Plus, there is no confirmation on a renewal and I think it would benefit Corday if he just fired Dena now and showed NBC that he's up to getting things back on track. Kind of like inspiring confidence.

I do think the show has improved the past two weeks so it's not so much about me, personally, calling for Dena's head. It's more or less a reflection of the numbers and what is to come this summer, along with thinking that this could help the renewal, especially considering Dena's negative publicity upon entering the job again.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 27 2008, 11:17 AM
^Actually, he doesn't allow it to happen, Kenny. He is the reason it does happen.

I'm not excusing the writers. Yes, they could still put out something better and some writers have. SSM and Langan still got some decent stuff out there despite Corday's interference. Hogan did as well, especially toward the end of his run (which was remarkable considering most of his stuff never made it onscreen). Even JER got some decent material onscreen. However, as long as Corday is there, this is what will happen. I've accepted it. Since JER left in 1997, he's began a pattern of thinking he knows what fans want and then having to backtrack because he screwed up. This has happened over and over again because he experiments whether it's with building up young couples or generations and backburnering the vets or simply going back to themes of the past like the Brady/Dimera feud and so on. He needs to just stop experimenting, stay out of the writing until his interference is needed, and let the writers write. I sometimes wonder what he reads or listens to. The guy has to get it by now. I mean, really. It's been over 10 years this has been going on and really the only lengthy period of consistency was January 2002-February 2003, B&C's period.

He is the big problem. The writers are a part of it (and, yes, I know every writer has dealt with interference but I just think Corday's a bit more aggressive) but it all goes back to Corday. I just wish Sony or someone would step in, put Corday in his place and say if he wants his show to survive he needs to stick to the business end of things and let Ed Scott control the show, and then I think we would see major improvement. Sadly, that will never happen.
Corday's a big problem, but he's FAR from being the sole blame.

Look at JER. There are certain characteristics in his writing that you don't see in any other writer, and when you see those (bad) characteristics on-screen, you know it's his fault and his idea... not Corday's. The same can be said for Dena Higley. She's repeating some of the same exact mistakes today that she made in 2003 -- mistakes that are very characteristic of her writing in particular. As a result, I know that the bad ideas came from Higley's mind... not Corday's. I can't speak for characteristics of Hogan's writing, because I really didn't see much of his work on ATWT and he hadn't written Days before for me to compare, but I'm sure there were unique bad characteristics of his writing that he takes from show to show as well, just like JER and Higley.

Corday's biggest blame is that he sits back and allows it to happen, IMO. That's not to say that he doesn't interfere, because I'm sure he does, but too many of the problems with the show today are specific Higley trademarks for them to all be Corday's ideas.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^That is true, Kenny, but I don't think those characteristics are bad enough to destroy a show or result in bad ratings, or at least not as bad as this. I don't think Corday sits back and let's it happen because he's always around, poking his nose into the writer's office. It's been that way since JER left the first time. The writers may have their bad habits or what have you but Corday compounds the issue with his interference and knee-jerk reactions to things. He not only listens too much to the audience (and you could argue he listens to the wrong sector of the audience at times), he fears the audience. He's not willing to stay the course with stories anymore because he gets a hint of fan upset and gets all nervous and backs off. He doesn't understand that you won't please everyone. Hell, you won't please a good percentage. The result is a watered down, inconsistent, shell of a show that lacks direction and is filled with nothing but short-term periods of greatness.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

See Tim for you to say this year is different than last year is a matter of opinion and how you look at it. You say they had the Brady/DiMera thing - well that didn't excite me and many viewers at all. We could have cared less. So for us last summer had nothing at all going for it because the Brady/DiMera thing didn't interest us and neither did TTS and those were the only 2 stories happening at all last summer. There was nothing else going.

And Kenny as far as being tired of the Hogan vs. Higley thing - sure it might not have anything in the long run to do with it. but it is just the pattern. Days has had nothing going for years as you said. I just find it funny that the same people who told us to wait and give Hogan a chance last year - when we were the ones frustrated - are now the same ones putting all the blame on Higley.

As I said last year with Hogan was boring. The summer before with the ghost writer was boring. The summer before that with JER was boring. This summer with Higley is boring. It is not about who it is writing - it is boring.

The only difference I see is that last year people wanted Corday to be blamed and this year they want Higley to be blamed.

It all boils down to the stories. Last year the stories were God awful. And this year they are God awful too and that is why the ratings are down.
Edited by Steve Frame, Jun 27 2008, 12:00 PM.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

And just one last thing on the Hogan vs. Higley thing. We can all be tired of it, but it is going to go on. We always compare.

I get tired of hearing how great Hogan Sheffer is or was or how great his writing team was - when I just don't see it. I get tired of hearing all the time how bad JER was or how great Sherri Anderson was when I found her overrated. and so on and so on.

We get tired of a lot of things. but the facts are the facts. Hogan was no better as a headwriter than Higley is. The only thing HS had for him was a bit stronger writing staff - his stories sucked just as bad as JER's did, just as bad as the ghost writers and just as bad as Higley's do.

When it all boils down to it - they all have a few different strong points - but in the end they all have the same weaknesses and that is they just aren't good headwriters.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Steve Frame
Jun 27 2008, 11:59 AM
See Tim for you to say this year is different than last year is a matter of opinion and how you look at it. You say they had the Brady/DiMera thing - well that didn't excite me and many viewers at all. We could have cared less. So for us last summer had nothing at all going for it because the Brady/DiMera thing didn't interest us and neither did TTS and those were the only 2 stories happening at all last summer. There was nothing else going.

And Kenny as far as being tired of the Hogan vs. Higley thing - sure it might not have anything in the long run to do with it. but it is just the pattern. Days has had nothing going for years as you said. I just find it funny that the same people who told us to wait and give Hogan a chance last year - when we were the ones frustrated - are now the same ones putting all the blame on Higley.

As I said last year with Hogan was boring. The summer before with the ghost writer was boring. The summer before that with JER was boring. This summer with Higley is boring. It is not about who it is writing - it is boring.

The only difference I see is that last year people wanted Corday to be blamed and this year they want Higley to be blamed.

It all boils down to the stories. Last year the stories were God awful. And this year they are God awful too and that is why the ratings are down.
Well, I was only answering the question you asked me so, yeah, it is only my opinion that this year is different. I know alot of that didn't excite everyone. In my view, it just made things more interesting.

Also, I'm not blaming Higley 100% for this. Yes, she is a major part of it but, just like Hogan and past writers, I'm still blaming Corday because he's the ringleader. He makes things worse. He steps in when it's not needed rather then, in most cases, when it is. I can't speak for everyone else but from my view the reason Days has fell off so hard in the last ten years is Ken Corday.

Steve, I also want to disagree about the summer of the ghost writer. I actually thought that was the best summer in recent memory with the Gloved hand mystery, Sami/EJ (when they held promise), J&J's farewell, Steve and Kayla's return, etc. I really thought it was a decent summer. Not HUGE but a solid summer and Days did decent in ratings that summer. It held at a 2.7 most of that summer.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

See I thought that summer was just as bad. It did not pick up for me at all until about September/October when Beth came on. The rest of that eyar and summer was a drag for me.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply