Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Some soaps to cut next day previews; - according to SOW
Topic Started: Jun 26 2008, 11:46 PM (2,942 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jun 27 2008, 01:18 PM
Has DAYS always had next day previews? I feel like when I first started watching the show they didn't have them.
The day-ahead previews didn't start regularly until Langan took over headwriting duties, as I recall. I've hated them from the start.

I do wish they'd do a "previously on..." segment, though. Sometimes the show is so uneven that it's hard to recall where we left off, especially with characters like Tony/Anna who just pop up intermittently.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

OK that's what I thought. I actually like the previews at the end of the episode but won't be terribly upset if they are nixed.

King
Member Avatar

Thank goodness! I am really happy about this. They're awful, especially DAYS.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jun 27 2008, 01:23 PM
IMissAremid
Has DAYS always had next day previews? I feel like when I first started watching the show they didn't have them.
The day-ahead previews didn't start regularly until Langan took over headwriting duties, as I recall. I've hated them from the start.

I do wish they'd do a "previously on..." segment, though. Sometimes the show is so uneven that it's hard to recall where we left off, especially with characters like Tony/Anna who just pop up intermittently.
They starter under SSM actually. They began in her waning months and carried right through into the early months in Langan's tenure. Then they stopped and Days began airing separate promos, in addition to their weekly ones, where they highlighted certain upcoming days and a particular event or development happening on that day. They also had bumpers that promoted upcoming red letter days and all this continued through December 2002, where the next day previews made a return and continue to this very day.

I don't like the "Previously on" segments either. I don't like giving fans fallbacks for not watching the show, especially now when they can tape or DVR their shows or even watch them online somewhere or even watch them on Soapnet. There are many options for fans now if they must miss their shows so I don't see the need for a recap segment. Anything that gives fans an excuse not to watch is a bad idea IMO, just like these day to day previews that tell you who is on everyday are. Soaps need to go back to the old days where people only had vague previews and spoilers and tuned in not knowing who would be on and what would happen.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 27 2008, 02:11 PM
I don't like the "Previously on" segments either. I don't like giving fans fallbacks for not watching the show, especially now when they can tape or DVR their shows or even watch them online somewhere or even watch them on Soapnet.
Well, again, that goes back to making the show interesting enough so that viewers WON'T miss episodes. Or at least keep the stories flowing steadily enough so that we don't need reminders of where we left off a week ago with a particular story that hasn't been featured in days.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jun 27 2008, 02:14 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jun 27 2008, 02:11 PM
I don't like the "Previously on" segments either. I don't like giving fans fallbacks for not watching the show, especially now when they can tape or DVR their shows or even watch them online somewhere or even watch them on Soapnet.
Well, again, that goes back to making the show interesting enough so that viewers WON'T miss episodes. Or at least keep the stories flowing steadily enough so that we don't need reminders of where we left off a week ago with a particular story that hasn't been featured in days.
Oh, definitely. I just don't like giving people excuses not to watch because, truthfully, even when a soap is going good, there are still some that only watch for one or two people and I think recap segments would encourage that issue.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

The only time I ever appreciated them was way back watching AW as it was the first soap I noticed that started doing them. Anyway, for Jake and Paulina's first love scene, my episode in town got preemptied. I never saw it. Naturally that was before the Internet and Soapnet so it was basically lost forever.

All I had was the 5 second moment I saw on the day ahead.

*Begins to sing "Nobody Knows"*

Mason

GOOD.

Hopefully, DAYS is one of them that's dropping the previews.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Kenny, It is the responsibility of the show to make them interesting, but even back in the day when some of the shows were at their worst - viewers tuned in each day just to see what would happen. Because we didn't know what was going to happen.

We loved it that way. I love back on some of the soaps I watched and they were bad and boring now that I think about it, but then it didn't seem that way. You didn't know what was going to happen and you couldn't wait for them to come on to see who was on and see what they were doing.

And when big surprises like the toward the ending of Somerset when we all found out that the big boss behind all the mob stuff was Julian's best friend and editor of the paper. That was earth shattering - as there was no hint.

Or when in 1979 when John Randolph on Another World was killed - you had no clue it was going to happen. Or when Eileen Perrinni really died.

Or even on The Doctors when Missy Dancy pushed Maggie out of the way to keep her from getting shot and got killed herself. You didn't know that was coming. That story in particular was God awful. But day to day you didn't know who was going to come out of that hostage crisis. And people tuned in each day to see.

Daily soap operas are built on suspense and getting people to come back the next day. To me spoilers and previews are going against that. Why let people know how boring the day is going to be - make them tune to find out it is going to be boring.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

So true Steve. I try to stay away from spoilers but it's hard as a Days fan on the internet. When I come to the board and see a new thread with spoilers for the upcoming weeks I can't help but to click on it.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

patyrfan
Jun 27 2008, 07:38 AM
IMO,this is a bad move,those little clip is what make me to tune in the next day,especially if i miss 1 or more episodes
I'm with you. I like them.

As a Tanna fan, since my favs are on maybe twice a month, it's good to have the previews to let me know if they are on the next day. Tony wasn't mentioned in any spoilers for the eppy of the 19th. If it wasn't for the Canadian Hoochies I would have no idea he was on. I always tune in for the DOOL previews after I finish B&B.

Kenny
Member Avatar

hoochielicious
Jun 27 2008, 05:56 PM
patyrfan
IMO,this is a bad move,those little clip is what make me to tune in the next day,especially if i miss 1 or more episodes

As a Tanna fan, since my favs are on maybe twice a month, it's good to have the previews to let me know if they are on the next day. Tony wasn't mentioned in any spoilers for the eppy of the 19th. If it wasn't for the Canadian Hoochies I would have no idea he was on. I always tune in for the DOOL previews after I finish B&B.
But see, if I was a producer of the show, I wouldn't want you only tuning in only when Tony/Anna are on. I'd want you tuning in all the time. To make sure that happened, I'd get rid of the next-day previews and leave you guessing, that way you HAD to watch... just incase.

Of course, some people just get on the internet and read the Canadian day-ahead episode summary to find out if their favorites are on, but the majority of soap viewers aren't on these sites and have no clue how to do that. So, yeah...

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

If the soaps cut the next day previews, they need to change the way they end some of their episodes. Most days should end with some sort of cliffhanger. Days has sucked in the cliffhanger department lately, and that's coming from someone who is mainly enjoying the show. I know that Dena can write them because I've seen them on OLTL and even a few in her first stint (heck, she's even written some this time around). But usually, there's some sort of boring ending that doesn't provide any excitement. If they expect me to tune in the next day, they had better get me excited about it.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Kenny
Jun 27 2008, 06:05 PM
hoochielicious
patyrfan

But see, if I was a producer of the show, I wouldn't want you only tuning in only when Tony/Anna are on. I'd want you tuning in all the time. To make sure that happened, I'd get rid of the next-day previews and leave you guessing, that way you HAD to watch... just incase.

Of course, some people just get on the internet and read the Canadian day-ahead episode summary to find out if their favorites are on, but the majority of soap viewers aren't on these sites and have no clue how to do that. So, yeah...
Well, if they put Tanna on everyday, then I'm watching! lol If the show didn't bore the snot out of me in general, I'd watch no matter who was on. But that's not the case.

Thank God for Prevuze!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jun 27 2008, 06:05 PM
hoochielicious
patyrfan

Exactly. It makes you watch and that will provide a chance for fans of a couple, character, or actor/actress to get to like other characters. That is usually what used to happen. Everyone had their faves but they grew to like others and grew to like watching the whole show because they were forced to watch everyday. There was no previews or day aheads telling them who exactly would be on and so on. Oh how I wish that could happen again. This is a step in the right direction. Now if they could limit spoilers and make it a bit more vague as to what will happen and who is on day to day, things would be much better.

Drew
Member Avatar

Good move on their part, they end up ruining the cliffhangers and give fanbase junkies the hint not to watch tomorrow cause their people arent in it.

Im thinking it will be CBS that does this. ABC practically created this trend, and since they double as the closing credits I cant see them going anywhere. Meanwhile, ATWT and GL are so underfunded that they probably couldnt afford to wash the cast wardrobe if they wernt funded by a detergent company, so I could see them doing it for sure. Especially since ATWT has already completely ditched having an opening sequence.

Drew
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
from what I remember they had them in the mid-late 90s on NBC. They were network based, and were not included in the canadian feed of the episode. But they'd feature usually either Lauren Koslow or Bryan Dattilo saying "On the next Days of Our Lives", then some brief scenes. Then they went away. Then about 2001/2002, not long after we lost the hourglass closing credits, we started getting the show-made promo we have today.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

they never should have done the "On the next..." to begin w/. I never liked them.

Drew
Member Avatar

I wish they'd switch it to a previously sequence and cut out the next time promo for the shows keeping them. VCRs/DVRs malfunction, power goes out, presidents like to run their mouths ...

Hergie23
Member Avatar

Yes, those day ahead previews are irrelevant to me since I check out the day ahead episode summaries. And they help determine whether I watch or not. And thank God for them b/c I wouldn't want to have to sit through some of the crap that they have been writing. I would actually have to at least sit through the first segment to see if it was worth watching. Gahhhh! No thanks. And unless I'm really anxious to see the show, I wait and watch it online. It seems knowing what is going to happen next gives ppl a reason not to watch, more than help the show and get people to watch.

And the weekly spoilers certainly haven't given me a reason to watch either. Spoilers are supposed to excite ppl and motivate them to turn on their TV's. Not so much.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply