Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days:Whats With Kate?; Her reactions to Dan
Topic Started: Jun 27 2008, 07:03 PM (2,049 Views)
Sindacco
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jun 27 2008, 08:50 PM
She backburnered John and Marlena, which was a huge mistake, considering that the show had been riding on a J&M high. The couple hasn't been the same ever since, either. She's also the one who wrote that ridiculous tooth chip storyline and turned Vivian into a complete comic caricature. She never recovered and as a result was written out by Langan.

She's also the one who SORAS-ed Belle, Phillip, etc. and introduced the Salem High gang (Jan, Jason, Mimi, etc.)

The only things I loved from her were psycho Ali, the introduction of Craig/Nancy and the "Franco's Murder" storyline (although that dragged on F-O-R-E-V-E-R!) I loved how she wrote Kate, but I hated how she turned Sami into some sort of saint in Austin's eyes. Gag me! Princess Gina was alright, but that dragged on forever, as well. I also couldn't stand the "satellite in space must be perfectly aligned, blah blah..." bullshit that resulted in the Hope/Gina change, although I must admit that the editing of that sequence was SUPERB.
I have heard alot of J&M fans saying they liked the way SSM wrote them even thought they didn't have their own story.

She only SORASed Belle, I dont know if it was LB or Langan that SORASed the rest and had them in high school so fast but she didn't want that and she left before. She wanted to first show them in their parents storyline and not just start their own stories in high school right away.

With Franco's Murder she proved that it's possible to write a good murder storyline without making half the town suspects and then have all of them getting a gun at the same time and disappearing during the time the victim was shot.

And I love the way she wrote Billie.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jun 27 2008, 09:26 PM
OK I think I liked SSM, reading up on what stories she was responsible for. (Back then I didn't pay attention to soap writers or any of the behind the scenes stuff AT ALL)

I have no recollection whatsoever (good or bad) about the Killing Pool as I think I was still on a DAYS hiatus at that time for the most part or that must have taken place during a school year where I wasn't watching the show but reading the recaps I think had I seen it I wouldn't have liked it as I just HATED Susan Banks and Kristen got too cartoonish for me during JER's last year (Don't shoot me, Kenny!).

Loved the Billie-Bo-Hope drama at the time, I liked John and Marlena finally getting married even if it led to Sub Sex, I liked the initial Salem teen scene being introduced as I finally had characters my age on the show, loved the Franco murder storyline, I liked Eric and Nicole, and as for Saint Sami... well that was the first time I liked Sami at all was during that whole storyline. Prior to that I hated Sami and loved Carrie. Of course when Carrie left Austin for Mike I hated her, so I guess it was kind of a trade off.

Hey, I'm not going to pretend as if Kristen is the most complex writer's dream character ever. All credit for me loving that character goes to the fabulous Eileen Davidson, who managed to take what could've been a very campy, extreme character and turned her into something incredibly enjoyable, IMO. Alot of it had to do with what Eileen brought out in Deidre and what Deidre brought out in Eileen. They were dynamic on-screen. Kristen would've been nothing without Marlena, and Marlena would've been nothing without Kristen... that's in my opinion, of course. The moment Kristen left, my enjoyment of Marlena tanked, and it's remained tanked ever since. But I digress, LoL.

As for Susan Banks, she was fun at first, but over time the constant multiplying of the Banks siblings just got old. That's the biggest issue I had with The Killing Pool. When it was all said and done, the person who died was Twin #837 and the killer was a newbie nerd? Pssh. Stupid, LoL. There were aspects of it that I loved though... such as the way it featured Jamie Lyn Bauer as Laura Horton. LOVED her!

As for the Bo/Hope/Billie thing, I just didn't understand it. Billie believed that the "guilt" Hope felt over "killing" her baby would keep Bo and Hope apart forever? That's kind of a weak scheme, isn't it? LoL I kept wanting Billie to do something else to keep them apart... something bigger... but she never did. In the end, I was disappointed. It was treated as a filler story the whole time, IMO.

Mike/Carrie/Sami/Austin was just a clusterfucked mess. Austin goes on the run with Sami, Carrie runs off with Mike. Talk about mismatched bullshit, LoL.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Jun 27 2008, 09:36 PM
She only SORASed Belle, I dont know if it was LB or Langan that SORASed the rest and had them in high school so fast but she didn't want that and she left before.
Are you sure about that?

I remember Lorraine Broderick writing for like a week in November, and after that Tom Langan took over as the "temporary" headwriter. Shawn, Belle, Phillip, Belle, Jan, Jason, Mimi, etc. had already been at Salem High for months before Lorraine Broderick, though.

It might've been a story pressured by Corday/Langan, but I'm pretty sure that SSM was still credited as the official headwriter through all of that. I'm 99.9% positive.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I'm not sure I read on Jason's site, he's usually not wrong about these thing.

I am sure the story were pressured by Corday/Langan and that's why Langan remaind headwriter when he was just supposed to be temporary.

Writer(s)...........................................Start Date-End Date.........Episodes (Total)
Sally Sussman Morina...........................1/6/98-10/14/99...........8202-8651 (450)
Lorraine Broderick..................................10/15/99-11/10/99.......8652-8670 (19)

http://members.aol.com/jason47b/writers.html

Shawns first airdate was October 19
Philips was October 21

Tammy
Member Avatar

Poor Kate either did or wants to wax his surf board lmao :P

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Jun 27 2008, 09:53 PM

I am sure the story were pressured by Corday/Langan and that's why Langan remaind headwriter when he was just supposed to be temporary.

Writer(s)...........................................Start Date-End Date.........Episodes (Total)
Sally Sussman Morina...........................1/6/98-10/14/99...........8202-8651 (450)
Lorraine Broderick..................................10/15/99-11/10/99.......8652-8670 (19)

Philips was October 21
Wow, so Kirsten Storms first came on in the summer of '99. It was July or August, right? She came on the moment J&M came home from their Hawaiian honeymoon, whenever the hell that was.

Then they waited all those weeks to bring on Jason Cook, Brandon Tyler, the original Mimi, etc.? What did Belle do, just sit around the penthouse all summer 'til school started? LoL I really don't recall, because I was bored to tears with the show at the time and wasn't paying much attention, so you could be right. I just could've sworn that there wasn't such a gap between Kirsten's arrival and all the rest.

Mason
Member Avatar

I actually thought SSM's writing style was very similar to JER's, at the time.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Jun 27 2008, 10:00 PM
I actually thought SSM's writing style was very similar to JER's, at the time.
Not even close. She was a poor imitation.

JER's writing was so dynamic, it was almost Shakespearean, LoL. SSM thought she could just do "crazy" and it would work, but she forgot to throw in those special touches that only JER could do successfully. He had nuances and a certain tone in his writing that nobody else (not even himself) has been able to capture since.

There were also more changes in the canvas under SSM than when JER was writing. When JER wrote, it was somewhat of a steadier canvas. Most JER soaps tend to be that way, actually. He doesn't rock the boat too much as far as writing people out and bringing newbies on. That's one of his better qualities. I guess he's big on the idea that shows should be identifiable for years at a time, rather than constantly changing the canvas around.
Edited by Kenny, Jun 27 2008, 10:07 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Before the other teens came on Belle was just in scenes with J&M, maybe with some of the other adults to, I'm not sure because I was also pretty bored with the show during that time period.

Mason
Member Avatar

Oh, I'm by no means saying that SSM was near as good as JER in the 90's. There was definitely a noticeable drop in quality from JER to SSM, but the show still felt kind of JER-ish to me when SSM was writing (if that makes any sense at all, LoL).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jun 27 2008, 09:58 PM
Sindacco
Jun 27 2008, 09:53 PM

Philips was October 21
Wow, so Kirsten Storms first came on in the summer of '99. It was July or August, right? She came on the moment J&M came home from their Hawaiian honeymoon, whenever the hell that was.

Then they waited all those weeks to bring on Jason Cook, Brandon Tyler, the original Mimi, etc.? What did Belle do, just sit around the penthouse all summer 'til school started? LoL I really don't recall, because I was bored to tears with the show at the time and wasn't paying much attention, so you could be right. I just could've sworn that there wasn't such a gap between Kirsten's arrival and all the rest.
Belle actually had a crush on Brandon. I recall her at the Kiriakis mansion for a pool party, all fawning over Brandon.

SSM had nothing to do with the SORASing. It was all Corday and Langan agreed with it. SSM hated it and eventually quit over it because Corday wanted it to happen faster and SSM wanted it to happen at a slower pace. Corday felt they needed a strong teen scene fast with Passions on NBC and all the other soaps obsessed with the youth movement. Broderick ended up quitting over similar reasons so Langan was forced to step in and remained as HW because his vision agreed with Corday's. Once they had a falling out, Corday got rid of Langan to make himself look like a hero and to save face.

I am with Kenny in that I hated most of SSM's reign. Nicole was nothing under her until she married Lucas. She sucked with Eric. I hated the Gina story until the real Gina showed up. All the sci-fi shit was a bit much for me. Sub-sex was hot but I hated the whole brain chip premise. They could've just handled it differently. The tooth implant thing was an embarrassment, as was the J&J and Peter shit with the circus and all that BS that led to Jennifer faking her death.

I did like J&M's wedding and Franco's murder/Sami's execution, except i hated Sami/Austin. Carrie/Mike sucked though and I did like Eric/Greta as well. Not too big on the Bo/Hope/Billie stuff either. She did write Kate well but I do think Langan wrote her better. SSM was just a bit too much. JER's first run at least tried to ground things. She just started all this sci-fi shit and it was hard to deal with and her time was marked with great upheaval. Carrie and Mike both left. Billie left. Greta, Nicole, and Brandon were introduced and then teen invasion was set up. It just was a time of shakeups and that didn't help either. I didn't mind the Killing Pool story, though. I liked it but the Banks stuff did border on absurd after Sr. Mary Moira. I did get a kick out of Thomas Banks because of the rumors that ED was really a man LOL. I did like the use of Laura and Celeste in the Killing Pool and I thought Kristen got a nice sendoff. I also liked some of the New Orleans stuff in 1998.

Back to the Kate topic, I still think they had an affair. Kate encouraged Chelsea to pursue Daniel early on and she didn't so Kate got with him. He ended up dumping her because he goes from woman to woman and maybe even had a thing with Lexie. That will now play into Kate freaking out over them and it will cause a rift with Chelsea and Kate and Chelsea won't listen to Kate until it's too late and she gets hurt. I've had this feeling all along Chelsea will get hurt and this will end badly. It could also be that Kate knows a big secret about Daniel, like he's dangerous or something.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Oh yeah, I forgot about the pool party at the Kiriakis Mansion.

I loved SSMs writing in 1998, but disliked it in 1999. I loved the jungle madness storyline, it gave us some awesome Stefano/Peter scenes.
Edited by Sindacco, Jun 28 2008, 07:45 AM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

early SSM Belle was actually a huge bitch. Then they made her a saint with Langan in charge.
Edited by Drew, Jun 28 2008, 09:08 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply