Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
OLTL: Are the Writers Abusing Addie?; Marlena De Lacroix Weighs In
Topic Started: Jun 30 2008, 09:06 PM (1,480 Views)
marlenadlc

http://www.marlenadelacroix.com

Also, are you on the OLTL lifeboat? With special appearances by Alfred Hitchcock, Tallulah Bankhead and Walter Slezak (father of Erika.)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm a newer viewer of OLTL's, so I'm not really familiar with Addie's history, but I FLOVE her! She's easily in my top 5 favorite characters on OLTL, right now.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I am on the OLTL lifeboat. I personally love Addie, but I am a very new viewer who didn't see any of the drama mentioned in this article play out on screen. If I had then I would possibly have similar problems with it.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I remember Addie from when she first appeared... and I will admit they have turned her into a tart-ish character. But I still love her none the less.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

Whatever. Who even cares....it's not like she was a staple character. Until this year, I don't recall her ever playing a part in a real story. It's usually been like a few visits a year...never anything long term. She's hilarious and this story isn't ruining anything. Of course fans (Marlena, especially) must find things to complain about.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Actually she's not comlaining she is expressing what she believes is a mistake for one character she followed closely during the Michael Malone era. Did you watch during that time?
Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I agree. Who cares. Addie is the highlight of OLTL for me. And I really noticed and was displeased with Gary Tomlin's refusal to use her during the strike episodes. She's on mind altering drugs, to expect her to remain unchanged is unrealistic.
Edited by Drew, Jun 30 2008, 10:28 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Oh yes, I do love this Addie as well too. She's hilarious. Her and David making Dorian squirm are higlights of the show
Quote Post Goto Top

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I enjoy Addie, and it is pretty clear OLTL is having fun with the character....She actually reminds me of my Aunt who struggled with mental illnes for 20 years. She finally got the right treatment and medication and it is wonderful to have her back in our lives again. She lives in a residential treatment apartment, and is a bit loopy at times; but she is highly functional after being out-of-it for so long.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I really don't think they are abusing her.

I enjoy the camp factor and you can see that PPW loves playing it. I don't think they ever said she was completely "cured" so she still would have little quips that make her, her.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I don't think ONE LIFE is abusing Addie whatsoever. In fact, I'm really enjoying Addie and am glad Addie's been given a more important role and more airtime on the show. I think Pamela Payton-Wright is one of daytime's unappreciated talents. I think ONE LIFE should even give her a contract.
Quote Post Goto Top

Gregorzick

As far as I'm concerned, Addie, Blair, and Kelly Cramer (along with brother Paul) are MAJOR REWRITES of OLTL's history. I remember when Dorian- as played by Nancy Pinkerton -first came to Llanview with her sister Melinda and both ladies stated beyond a shadow of a doubt that each sister was the only family that the other had left. Both parents were dead and the Cramer Sisters had no other siblings. Creating Addie in many respects hurt the character of Dorian in the long run, imho.

Besides, it's not like soaps have a good history of portraying mental illness accurately especially ONE LIFE TO LIVE. I'll be more than happy to cite OLTL's disgusting Naomi Vernon suicide storyline of the 1970s. Remember all the bullshit about Naomi's "fake" suicide attempt which backfired with Naomi killing herself!!! I work in the mental health field and I never met anyone who "faked" a suicide attempt. If someone is talking about suicide, they usually have every intention of going thru with it!!! Considering OLTL's lousy record with mental illness storylines in the past, why should anybody be suprised that OLTL is doing another bogus mental health storyline with a character that no basis in reality!!!
Edited by Gregorzick, Jul 2 2008, 09:36 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I don't think the character of Addie hurts the character of Dorian whatsoever and also I really don't think the additions of Addie nor Blair is a major re-write. Dorian and Melinda saying in the 70s that they were all the family they had left, would be true in many aspects with Addie in a mental hospital and their mother very mentally unstable as well. Also Blair was given up for adoption and they didn't even know about Blair back then.
Quote Post Goto Top

Gregorzick

Mulder
Jul 3 2008, 08:36 PM
I don't think the character of Addie hurts the character of Dorian whatsoever and also I really don't think the additions of Addie nor Blair is a major re-write. Dorian and Melinda saying in the 70s that they were all the family they had left, would be true in many aspects with Addie in a mental hospital and their mother very mentally unstable as well. Also Blair was given up for adoption and they didn't even know about Blair back then.
Agree To Disagree. The addition of Addie and Blair as well as Melinda's children (Kelly and Paul) is a crotch of crap. The fact that neither Addie nor Melinda can name the fathers of their children and all their children go by the last name of Cramer shows absolute laziness on behalf of the powers that be. TPTB have never offered a plausible reason as to why Dorian and Melinda went for years without mentioning Addie in my opinion. Addie, Blair, Kelly, and Paul were created because the writers wanted to give Dorian an instant family she never had before but were basically TOO STUPID to come up with a logical backstory to explain the appearance of these relatives.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Greg, who was the writer that created these characters out of the blue?
Quote Post Goto Top

Gregorzick

If I remember correctly and anyone can feel free to correct me but Addie and Blair came along during the Linda Gottilieb (EP) and Micheal Malone (writer) era. of the show in the early 1990s. Dorian and Melinda were created by writer Gordon Russell in 1973 although I remember hearing an uncomfirmed rumor as a kid in the Cincy Soap Hood that Russsell consulted OLTL creator Agnes Nixon about the character's creation. I also remember hearing that Russell had the character of Regina from the Lillian Hellman play THE LITTLE FOXEs in mind when he first envisioned Dorian as Llanview's resident bitch.
Edited by Gregorzick, Jul 3 2008, 09:39 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. So much worse has been done that has gone against the histories of characters in daytime, that I just don't see this as something big enough to damage the character of Dorian.

Gregorzick

^You've got a point, Mason. God knows there have been a ton of rewrites on all the soaps and the character of Dorian is a force of nature to be reckoned with. However, I feel that OLTL didn't need to rewrite the character's backstory in order to keep the character fresh and viable. It was plainly and simply unnecessary. The fact that Dorian is watchable and viable has more to do with Robin Strasser's great performances than the development of the character by the writers.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Gregorzick
Jul 2 2008, 09:34 PM
I work in the mental health field and I never met anyone who "faked" a suicide attempt. If someone is talking about suicide, they usually have every intention of going thru with it!!!
I have to disagree with that. I've known many people who "fake" a suicide attempt for attention.

My piece of shit cousin is one of them. He's tried to "commit suicide" many times. He once put a pistol to his head and my aunt pleaded and begged with him not to do it that she would let him have or do anything he wanted.

Later he told me that he had no intention of hurting himself, he just knew that my aunt (his mom) would let him do whatever he wanted for the next month because she would feel guilty.

I also knew this girl in high school who would swallow a bottle of pills and immediately dial 911 so she wouldn't die. She said it was a mental and physical rush and afterwards her parents would giveher anything she wanted.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply