Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Why OLTL Resembles The Glory Days of GL; by marlenadlc columnist Patrick Erwin
Topic Started: Jul 2 2008, 02:01 PM (767 Views)
marlenadlc

Great writing has everything to do with it!!!

Marlenadelacroix.com columnist Patrick Erwin, an admiring new OLTL viewer compares the Carlivati revolution with the early 1990's renaissance on Guiding Light brought to you by the writing team of Nancy Curlee, Jim Reilly, Lorraine Broderick and Stephen Demorest.

If you care about soap writing, you've got to read this!

http://www.marlenadelacroix.com

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Wonderful column! (although it does kind of depress me, considering the state that GL is in now, LoL)

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

While there's some similarities, GL was MUCH BETTER scripted show than what OLTL is today. GL was so unique at the time, yet it focused on its roots. Each character had an individual "voice," and to be honest, I don't know if I can say the same for OLTL right now, as good as it is. I think OLTL's dialogue is still very weak and stilted.

I'm very biased to this period in GL history, and to me, not many soaps since have measured up to it.

I notice the similarities in that GL became more of an ensemble piece with Curlee and company, and OLTL is becoming that too. Also, the focus on a more community atmosphere is very apparent as well.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Jul 2 2008, 02:43 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Jul 2 2008, 02:42 PM
I don't know if I can say the same for OLTL right now, as good as it is. I think OLTL's dialogue is still very weak and stilted.
I agree. The few times I've watched OLTL recently, I found the dialogue laughable. Especially when Blair referred to Starr and Cole's sex as "making love," LoL. It sounded so odd coming out of her mouth in front of Starr. "Honey, you made love..."

speedbump210

Yeah... I wouldn't go that far comparing Carlivati to Curlee. Let's see if the man can tell a good story first over the longterm. Right now, IMO Carlivati is trying to fulfill fan wishes above just telling good stories. There's nothing necessarily wrong with treating your fans well. But right now, OLTL feels like fan fiction -- good fan fiction, but fan fiction nonetheless -- particularly with regards to the pacing of the show. Even the history references. I love it when writers remember former plots and characters, but they should come naturally in the dialogue. Now it seems soo forced.

He's gonna need to slow things down a tad. Build up is essential to the show too. This IS a soap opera after all. You have the time to tell the story, no matter Ellen Wheeler thinks. Well written stories over the longterm is the way out IMO. Just bringing back fan faves is not (Megan McTavish learned this the hard way with GL's Quint and Nola).

We'll see if RC can prove himself. And I hope the unending praise doesn't build fan expectations so high that they cannot be fulfilled.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply