Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Getting Older Not Younger
Topic Started: Jul 3 2008, 12:32 AM (1,357 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/features/articles/53-article/393-averageviewerincreases

Daytime Getting Older Not Younger
Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:20 AM | By Errol Lewis

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) -- The average age of a daytime viewer has increased tenfold on the ABC, CBS, and NBC Broadcast Networks.

According to data released last week by Steve Sternberg, executive vice president, audience analysis at Magna Global, one of the world's largest media services firms, the average age of an individual watching daytime programming on the broadcast networks has increased season-to-season to 54 years-old from 50 years-old. ABC jumped four years to 53 from 49 last year; NBC went up to 49 from 43, while CBS aged up to 59 years-old from 56.

The oldest skewing daytime series was CBS' "The Price is Right" with an average audience of 64, while NBC's "Days of our Lives" had the youngest audience at 49.

Overall CBS is the oldest skewing network with an average viewer aged 55 between all day parts (morning news, daytime, evening news, primetime and latenight). NBC is the youngest at 52.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

And they wonder why ratings keep going down. They are still writing the shows with the mindset of the 18-49 viewers completely in mind and giving the older viewer really nothing to relate to anymore.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

These people are professionals. How can they not see these numbers and realize what they're doing is wrong?

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I wonder that too Drew. I think they honestly think like the advertisers that they need to reach that target audience, but they are not smart enough to realize that they need to put material out there to reach the audience they do have.

They want to lure a particular audience and I guess they are stupid enough or just naive enough to think the audience that is there will tune in anyway.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

One other thought I had is that I read on here from young folks that they don't want to see people like John and Marlena in love scenes etc.

Well think of this way - older folks don't want to see teens and young folks all the time either. And they make up the bulk of the audience right now. And for the most part they don't have anything to relate to on most shows.

What is weird is that if these idiots running daytime would realize is for years the shows did younger stories mixed with the older stories and the older generation ate them up. for years All My Children featured young love stories in a big way and older viewers loved them.

They just need to balance things out. right now things are just skewed way too much.

Mason
Member Avatar

I understand the idea that you need to lure in a younger audience since the older audience won't be around forever obviously, but it shouldn't be done at the expense of your core audience - in other words, the older viewers.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

As I ahve pointed out many times - many of us learned to watch soaps at the feet of our parents and grandparents.

I recently saw a survey where many children are now being raised in a big part by their grandmothers - who are taking care of the children while Mother is working during the day. Those kids spend 8 hours with grandmother. Used to that grandmother would be a soap watcher. Today it is not as likely.

Many of the next generation now will not learn to watch soaps at Grandma's feet.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Well I've heard Brian Frons and Susan Lee give the reason that "If we catered to the 50 somethings the daypart would be dead in 20 years.

And IMO that's the reason it will be dead sooner than 20 years. Because they didn't cater to their core audience (50-somethings) and they stopped watching causing them to die.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

I'll weigh in as an older viewer - I want a good mix of all ages, but not a saturation of the younger crowd. Last year's TTS nearly killed Days for me. I would much rather see all ages interact. I just wish TIIC could see when certain couples aren't working or certain stories aren't working that they would go in a different direction. Just because they like it doesn't mean that us the viewers do.

Mason
Member Avatar

Rick
Jul 3 2008, 02:16 AM
Well I've heard Brian Frons and Susan Lee give the reason that "If we catered to the 50 somethings the daypart would be dead in 20 years.
Better 20 years, than 5 years, idiots.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Steve Frame
Jul 3 2008, 01:21 AM
As I ahve pointed out many times - many of us learned to watch soaps at the feet of our parents and grandparents.

I recently saw a survey where many children are now being raised in a big part by their grandmothers - who are taking care of the children while Mother is working during the day. Those kids spend 8 hours with grandmother. Used to that grandmother would be a soap watcher. Today it is not as likely.

Many of the next generation now will not learn to watch soaps at Grandma's feet.
That is SO true. I picked up watching DAYS from my mom when I was young. She got the habit from her mother-in-law when she was in her 20's.

Jonatha

Jinxed Soul
Jul 3 2008, 11:41 AM
Steve Frame
Jul 3 2008, 01:21 AM

That is SO true. I picked up watching DAYS from my mom when I was young. She got the habit from her mother-in-law when she was in her 20's.
I picked up on soaps from my Mother who back in those days was a stay at home mom. We had so much fun. It's just a tradition for me, as I've passed it along to my daughter as well. We argue a lot about soaps, just like me and my Mother used to. Mostly about which actors are hotter. lol.

~bl~
Member Avatar

The television audience is tending to skew older as it is. Make the best show possible and viewers of all ages will like it. The irony of the situation is that the audience has gotten older, while they've treated many long timers like crud.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Steve Frame
Jul 3 2008, 01:15 AM
One other thought I had is that I read on here from young folks that they don't want to see people like John and Marlena in love scenes etc.

Well think of this way - older folks don't want to see teens and young folks all the time either. And they make up the bulk of the audience right now. And for the most part they don't have anything to relate to on most shows.

What is weird is that if these idiots running daytime would realize is for years the shows did younger stories mixed with the older stories and the older generation ate them up. for years All My Children featured young love stories in a big way and older viewers loved them.

They just need to balance things out. right now things are just skewed way too much.
Well, I'm one who doesn't care if I see love scenes period LOL but watching this genre for over two decades now I understand it's important to soaps so it's necessary.

I honestly think the execs know. They just don't care. All they see is dollar signs. The advertisers know that the youth spend money and they want the young to buy the products so that they continue to as they grow. Same goes for the networks. I think it started out for soap execs as let's get the young viewers so they grow up watching the show and stay. I think they thought older fans would just die out so it was a preemptive strike. Numbers had started to dwindle, afterall. I also think they didn't feel confident enough in the young soap watchers who started watching because of grandparents and all. I think they underestimated them and those who were already watching in colleges and stuff too.

I also think the networks saw the chance to promote their other shows too. The youth would watch and stay with it as they grew up. Now, I think execs just see soaps as ways to advertise. I really do. You see all these promos for other network shows and such when the soaps get none at all. The networks don't care. They haven't in years. I firmly believe they will keep soaps on for an extra few years just to keep using them to promote other things because they know they still have a loyal audience and if it can help the rest of the networks it's great.

It's a damn shame. I got into soaps with my grandmother. She provided me with loads of tape to watch older stuff before I began watching. Now, there is barely an audience and what audience you do get seems more driven by stunts then good writing. That is why soaps are in trouble. The mistakes of the execs has led to the creation of an audience who will do nothing but reject the very ideals that made soaps great in the first place.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Its critical to have a balance regardless of the audience. I'm sure even for older viewers, they would prefer to watch a balance of couples their age, and younger couples. DAYS has really shifted from that for a long while by putting couples like Bo&Hope, John&Marlena etc on the backburner. That is beginning to change recently though with John& Marlena's current storyline and the autism story. I justt think it may be too late to impact viewers.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^B&C were great at that. They weaved the young and old together perfectly. The young characters worked in their parents stories so fans could get used to them. The young characters also had their own stories but they weren't dominating the canvas and having them involved with the vets really helped.

Surprisingly, Dena hasn't done a bad job with this. I mean, as bad as Chan is, she is involving enough vets to kind of help that story somewhat. Plus, she tied Chelsea to the Bo's illness story. Max's story is being helped out by the presence of Caroline and even Steve/Kayla so I have to say Dena is handing the young characters and their stories pretty well IMO so far.

KMan101
Member Avatar

The execs problem is that they ARE trying to cater to just ONE audience. It's not about catering to ONE audience, it's about catering to MULTIPLE audiences! That's why soaps are failing.

jane1978

KMan101
Jul 9 2008, 08:44 AM
The execs problem is that they ARE trying to cater to just ONE audience. It's not about catering to ONE audience, it's about catering to MULTIPLE audiences! That's why soaps are failing.
Well, the TV business is about selling the ads. For all we know soaps could have 15 mil. of 50+ viewers and still be on the verge of cancelation because sponsors will not pay a buck for that viewers. On the other side, Passions with really marginal audience kept above water so long just because they had the right demos.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I have really never thought of it like this...the older generation watching the soap. I always feel like they want to bring in the teen kids during the summer.

Case in point, my mom got me started watching Days and GH when I was about 5 and I watched every summer home from school...and I also watched with my grandma..."at my grandma's feet" sounds funny, but honestly, I remember sitting on the floor watching Days with her...at her feet.

Mom went back to work for a little while when I was in high school, and she just retired and she got excited as she started watching GH again...now she is hooked again. She recognizes her old favorite couples, and was happy to see that Bo and Hope were still on Days! Marlena too! Loves the "good looking British guy".

If the baby boomers start retiring in droves in the next few years and have such high numbers, why wouldn't soaps cater to them. They supposedly have the high incomes, and should bring in better ratings so advertisement dollars would go up.
Am I missing something?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply