Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; 7/7/08 - 7/11/08
Topic Started: Jul 7 2008, 10:13 AM (5,152 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Today was a very nice start to the week and a good way to pick things up from Wednesday.

First off, I loved how upset everyone got with Chelsea and Daniel when Kate fainted. More evidence to me that Chan is just a story and not a long-term pairing. Pretty much everyone is against them now. I did like the scenes and I will say this story is much more interesting now. Nice seeing the vets again and I thought D&J looked cute. Since when are costumes a good thing? It was just in good fun and maybe even for Ciara. It was something different. Loved the end scene on the fireworks. I thought it was a nice way to end the show with the holiday last week and all. The little Lexie/Daniel scene was nice too but, outside of that, having Abe and Lexie there with Theo was a waste and I hated Steve and Kayla not being there. At least they mentioned why Roman wasn't there and had Stephanie, Max, and Sami mention the BBQ. I also hate that Nick at least didn't stop on by but whatever. Still a nice event and made for some good scenes. I like family gatherings any way I can get them and it was really the first time we saw Maggie and Dobson's Mickey together and kissing and such.

Good movement with Max's story. Liked Nick being a part of it. Good ending with his supposed sister answering.

I don't get why some think the J&M scenes were poorly written? It seems to me alot of J&M fans think that, which is fine because I can't stand Marlena right now. Yes, that is the fault of the writing but I'm not in love with how Dee is playing it either. She's being far too forceful and not showing enough pain when she tries to convince John to understand why she wanted him to access the disk and why she is so disappointed in him. I do think she was great in the lab scenes and had no problem with her wanting to talk about Sami's life because it keeps her mind off her own problems. Loving John and Ava too. Good stuff. I wish this story could keep going as it's just getting good but I will enjoy it while it lasts. Loved the slow motion shot of Marlena when she walked into the lab and saw what John did. It's pretty clear that Marlena will end up having to wake up Stefano because she doesn't know where else to turn. I think that is where we're headed and that should be cool.

Finally, the elevator scenes. I think it was Ellie who said she felt the scenes were trashy and questioned whatever happened to the romance of the 80's and 90's. Well, let me just say I didn't find the scenes trashy. I found them realistic. It's hot, vulnerable people are trapped together...it happens. Maybe not exactly the way soaps and Days do it but it does. I liked the old school romance too but most people today could care less. People don't have the patience to sit around and watch a long love story. As has been discussed many times in ratings threads, a good part of the audience (and clearly those that matter in the ratings) don't care for the little things that made soaps special anymore. Sure, most on this site do but many don't. I've seen it. It's appalling but it is what it is. Having said that, I do think Days has done a nice job with the Philip/Morgan pairing and Nicole/EJ pairings. They both have been perfectly paced and it's been good enough to appease those who are impatient and those who like it to go at a slower pace.

There was nothing trashy about EJ and Nicole. They have been slowly built up as a couple. It's been over 3 months and they came together in a realistic way. There is depth there and I couldn't agree with Jane more. Higley "gets" Nicole. She's turned her into the best character on the show. She's layered and always interesting. Loved the scenes today. Days really has something special here. The chemistry was amazing and the writing and acting was great. Loved the slow motion shots of both sex scenes and boy were they hot. Wow...JS and AZ were great. Lucas and Chloe still feels forced but it wasn't bad. I did like all the hesitation they had and Bryan and Nadia did look good. It was an interesting love scene and now I know why Byran said it was an athletic scene. I would've liked them to acknowledge Lucas' tattoo, especially since it's the Phoenix, but whatever.

I did like how the two love scenes were so different. It practically hinted at what the show feels is the long-term pair. Lucas and Chloe was quick, fast, and just full on aggressive while EJ and Nicole were sensual and slow and they talked about their feelings and all. Days clearly did that on purpose and I think they did a good job here. They are really making the Morgan/Philip/Chloe/Lucas/Sami/EJ/Nicole stuff work now. There is better direction and things are happening. Hope it keeps up.

Very good show though. Tomorrow seems a bit dry though.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Jul 8 2008, 12:18 AM
Kevc1980
Jul 8 2008, 12:05 AM
My only gripe about today's show, was i assumed the whole episode that the show would end with the elevator doors opening and Sami seeing EJ and Nicole half dressed..That would have been the perfect cliffhanger..but we didn't get that..we just got fireworks..
Great point. The fireworks really were misplaced. They should have been at the end of last Wednesday's show, before the Wimbledon break. And the cliffhanger you mention would have been perfect today.
Why? You want those people who do tune in (since it was a big vacation week) to tune in Monday after the preemptions. The fireworks ending would've done nothing. That is why they did it on today's show.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Jul 8 2008, 12:36 AM
I don't get why some think the J&M scenes were poorly written? It seems to me alot of J&M fans think that, which is fine because I can't stand Marlena right now. Yes, that is the fault of the writing but I'm not in love with how Dee is playing it either. She's being far too forceful and not showing enough pain when she tries to convince John to understand why she wanted him to access the disk and why she is so disappointed in him. I do think she was great in the lab scenes and had no problem with her wanting to talk about Sami's life because it keeps her mind off her own problems.
That's exactly why I hate how it's written. Deidre can't change the dialogue, and the writers have given Marlena no lines at all other than different versions of "John, look what you've done, you used to be such a good person." So imo she's playing it beautifully - the tears and the pain written across her face are taking the place of the insightful dialogue that should be there.

Since you asked, lol, other reasons I (and many other J&M fans) hate the recent J&M scenes (and the storyline):

1) John and Ava are being written as having the connection that John and Marlena should have.
2) The writers have not given Marlena any lines and/or flashbacks describing details of her life with John.
3) John is being written as cold and rude to Marlena, and Marlena is being written as inflexible and stubborn towards John.
4) We've gone from a story revolving around J&M's relationship to a story about John as a shipping tycoon with his life on a smashed computer disk.

Given the above, that's why I was even more impressed with Drake and Deidre's performances today. As I watched them, I totally bought into this storyline. That imo is quite an accomplishment on their part.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Jul 8 2008, 12:37 AM
Ellie
Kevc1980
My only gripe about today's show, was i assumed the whole episode that the show would end with the elevator doors opening and Sami seeing EJ and Nicole half dressed..That would have been the perfect cliffhanger..but we didn't get that..we just got fireworks..
Great point. The fireworks really were misplaced. They should have been at the end of last Wednesday's show, before the Wimbledon break. And the cliffhanger you mention would have been perfect today.
Why? You want those people who do tune in (since it was a big vacation week) to tune in Monday after the preemptions. The fireworks ending would've done nothing. That is why they did it on today's show.
Last year, the show before Wimbledon (which was July 4th) ended with that group photograph being taken. Then the Santeen letters were on the following week's shows. There can still be cliffhangers on the pre-Wimbledon show, but I think it's nice to have fireworks or some other holiday-appropriate ending on that particular show. Call it sappy, but I think many viewers enjoy and expect it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Jul 8 2008, 12:51 AM
PhoenixRising05
I don't get why some think the J&M scenes were poorly written? It seems to me alot of J&M fans think that, which is fine because I can't stand Marlena right now. Yes, that is the fault of the writing but I'm not in love with how Dee is playing it either. She's being far too forceful and not showing enough pain when she tries to convince John to understand why she wanted him to access the disk and why she is so disappointed in him. I do think she was great in the lab scenes and had no problem with her wanting to talk about Sami's life because it keeps her mind off her own problems.
That's exactly why I hate how it's written. Deidre can't change the dialogue, and the writers have given Marlena no lines at all other than different versions of "John, look what you've done, you used to be such a good person." So imo she's playing it beautifully - the tears and the pain written across her face are taking the place of the insightful dialogue that should be there.

Since you asked, lol, other reasons I (and many other J&M fans) hate the recent J&M scenes (and the storyline):

1) John and Ava are being written as having the connection that John and Marlena should have.
2) The writers have not given Marlena any lines and/or flashbacks describing details of her life with John.
3) John is being written as cold and rude to Marlena, and Marlena is being written as inflexible and stubborn towards John.
4) We've gone from a story revolving around J&M's relationship to a story about John as a shipping tycoon with his life on a smashed computer disk.

Given the above, that's why I was even more impressed with Drake and Deidre's performances today. As I watched them, I totally bought into this storyline. That imo is quite an accomplishment on their part.
Dee can add to the dialogue if she wants. Many Days actors do it. If she hates the writing, she should say something. It's odd because with all the years she's been there, one would think she would. SN and MBE fought like hell to make sure the Ava stuff was acknowledged. If Dee's been hearings complaints about the writing, why hasn't she done anything? I love her dearly but she never seems to do that. She's always seems to settle for what is on the page. Sure, she adds nuances (like holding her glass up to her face to acknowledge the supposed heat wave in Salem) but it just seems like most of the time the writing has to be there and that diminishes her as an actress in my eyes. Time and time again I've seen many Days stars rise above bad, direction-less writing. Dee hasn't and today she did in spots for the first time in awhile but I still think she's playing some moments all wrong and it's not all because of the writing.

I also disagree with many of your points. This is not the old John so it's only logical he has more of a connection with Ava then Marlena. They are similar in what they have gone through and are going through. She has no expectations. She's not constantly recalling the old John. She just accepts him and enjoys him. And why does Marlena need flashbacks? This should be about John. He should have an occasional flashback or two, if anything, and I don't even think we are even close to reaching that point in the story. Here's the thing...once this story is over, Drake and Dee have nothing. There is nothing to be done with them that hasn't been. I really believe that is why this is being milked and taken in new directions. They want them onscreen but ending this story leaves them with nothing. Plus, Drake is enjoying it and so are general fans. I understand why J&M fans aren't but it can't always be about pleasing couple fans. That has been the show's problems for years. I know they created it but still. This story did nothing for the numbers when J&M fans were happy with it so why not go a different route. There are other fans out there. They have good story here that many seem to like and they should go with it.

John is cold because that is who this John is. Marlena, who is written badly, is how she is because she wants the man she loves back. They have at least given her that direction now. Also, I applaud the show for doing other things besides just going with a relationship story. That can come in time. The shipping story and the disk (which is part of the relationship story so I really don't get the fuss about this) have given John more to do. They should really give Marlena more stuff to do on her own but that's another story.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jul 8 2008, 12:54 AM
Then the Santeen letters were on the following week's shows. There can still be cliffhangers on the pre-Wimbledon show, but I think it's nice to have fireworks or some other holiday-appropriate ending on that particular show. Call it sappy, but I think many viewers enjoy and expect it.
Eww Ellie you just reminded me that the Santeen crap happened exactly a year ago, thank god we are done with that..I'll take elevator sex over that any day..

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Jul 8 2008, 12:37 AM
Ellie
Kevc1980
Last year, the show before Wimbledon (which was July 4th) ended with that group photograph being taken. Then the Santeen letters were on the following week's shows. There can still be cliffhangers on the pre-Wimbledon show, but I think it's nice to have fireworks or some other holiday-appropriate ending on that particular show. Call it sappy, but I think many viewers enjoy and expect it.
Sure but that doesn't help the show. The show needs ratings otherwise there will be no show for the audience to enjoy. I generally could care less about ratings but I want my show around and, honestly, I don't even think there is a decision. Days lost two episodes last week due to preemption and you toss in the weekend and you have to do this. Otherwise, there is no incentive. You need cliffhangers and Days gave us them. Last year was a fluke. It's clear they wanted to hold back and start Santeen after the break and they paid for it because numbers sucked. Every other year Days has done something to give viewers some incentive.

I like endings like that too but you can't end a week like that, especially if you are dealing with preemptions. Hell, even the Christmas episode this year had a cliffhanger in Stefano's lab and that was on a Wednesday I believe. The ending today was perfectly suited, given the day and situation.

Ellie

Phoenix, I didn't mean to imply in my post that Deidre has or has not said anything about the writing, and I'm sorry that you took it that way. My point was that she has given beautiful performances using what's scripted by the writers, even if the writing is lacking.

Ellie

Kevc1980
Jul 8 2008, 01:08 AM
Ellie
Then the Santeen letters were on the following week's shows. There can still be cliffhangers on the pre-Wimbledon show, but I think it's nice to have fireworks or some other holiday-appropriate ending on that particular show. Call it sappy, but I think many viewers enjoy and expect it.
Eww Ellie you just reminded me that the Santeen crap happened exactly a year ago, thank god we are done with that..I'll take elevator sex over that any day..
haha, sorry about that. I've been having many "which is worse?" questions lately. (For example, which is worse - Doug and Julie pimping Santeen or Doug and Julie pimping Dan/Chelsea?) I'll add this one to my list to think about.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie, your fine.

I understand what you meant. I disagree but I understood it. Dee has never seemed to be the type to really push for things like others. I'm not saying she doesn't go and talk to the writers and such but I don't think she's very forceful when doing it. I think she settles for what the writers get her and awful lot.

Here we are agreeing to disagree again. I guess that's nothing new :laugh: .

Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jul 8 2008, 01:15 AM.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Jul 8 2008, 01:14 AM
Here we are agreeing to disagree again. I guess that's nothing new :laugh:
lol, you're right, nothing new if we agree to disagree about J&M! :smile: We'll find some common ground one day!

Evan
Member Avatar

I so wanted to be Nicole today, the thought of being trapped in an elevator with a naked EJ is almost too much LOL
I agree, EJ/Nicole are hot.............Sami who? :D

cassie1013

EJ and Nicole was hot, hot, hot. Great scene, performance and acting wise, sex of that caliber hasn't been done in a longgg time. I have ONE major issue with the scene though - that horrid music. It almost ruined the entire scene, god, it's so cheesy! Can't they just put some kind of house, mellow beat in the background if they INSIST on a background score? Anywho, hopefully Ejole does actually last, lol, great couple so far and something I wanted to see.

Lucus/Chloe was just trashy, but they both aren't strong actors (especially Nadia) so it just didn't end up working. Her enormous head and ginormous boobs were distracting throughout the entire scene. I'm not actually complaining about the trashiness, because I'm always up for good slutty scenes but...I just can't get past her monotine line delivery. The hiking up of the skirt was def. LOL, and on that topic, EJOLE was practically NAKED!

Chan is DISGUSTING, who would make out like that in front of their family? That is totally inappropriate under any circumstances. This has to end and soon, such an ew storyline.

I noticed Doug and Julie too, what a bad look. I feel sorry for Susan and Bill - they finally get called to work and they have to look like clowns LOL. I think DAYS has given me a really bad impression of Americans on the 4th of July - not that I live far being in Vancouver, but I'm starting to believe that people really do dress up with the tacky flag shit and praise America, land of the free. Whenever anyone SAYS 4th of July the first thing that comes to mind is that Bo and Hope have a BBQ every year (with fireworks!), then I remember that they are fictional LMAO

cassie1013

Maybe the problem with the John storyline is that John and Marlena fans are going to want the storyline to be just that - a John and Marlena story. I think it's pretty obvious this is primarily John's story, which is fine. He needs it, after all, his character is known for an eye brow raise, being a member of the "ISA", whatever the hell that is, whispering "DAHK" and eating Marlena's face...LOL Days isnt' going to progressively go anywhere when that's all there is to one of your lead characters.

I'm going to go out on a limb and compare this to Victor and Nikki on Y&R. Obviously they are the most well known couple on that show, but the recent seperation of them has actually, imo, been really good for the characters - ESPECIALLY Nikki. She's now re-defined outside of her relationship with Victor, which has actually been somewhat entertaining...why don't the writers do that with Marlena. The same old song and dance of "the disk! the disk!" and "do you remember?" (I haven't been watching but I'm assuming this is what has been occuring) is typical days, and since this story is longer then just one sweeps period, I can see how it would be uninspiring to act. Marlena needs to do something else...she had good progress during the John death s/l but now it seems like she's reverting back. All about John, all the time (well, she's a bit better, esp. with the Sami situation from what I've seen recently). Can't she like, date someone else? What's the harm in that??

cjknick
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
That's on Tuesday epi - Ej and Nicole do it again....more fireworks again! more nekkid EJ! Hot and Heavy, more cuddling I guess they had so much good footage that they extended it to DAY II of elevator sex.

FanODays

The Lucas and Chloe scenes were disgusting. I'm all of hot, sweaty, trashy sex but when he pushed her to the wall all I could think of was John and Kate on the floor of the penthouse. However, at least with Jate there was a build up of the characters and the sex scenes were expected. I didn't know Chloe even knew Lucas's name let alone his cell phone number and was close enough to him to give him her benefits.

I will say this, while Marlena is bugging the shit out of me with her attitude towards John at least yesterday I got how heartbroken she is. Still though just once I'd like her to try and see it from his point of view rather than treating him as if he were a child with her "I'm so disappointed in you' comments.

EJ and Nicole, now those scenes were hot and I don't think we've seen the last of this pairing.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

IMissAremid
Jul 7 2008, 10:45 PM

As for the elevator sex... first of all, if DAYS is going to give us this many sex scenes they need another sex theme to rotate into things besides the lusty saxophone accompaniment. If only I was scoring this show we definitely would have got "Love in an Elevator" for those scenes today since they were a bit too physical and aggressive for typical soap stuff, I thought. A lot more music videoish.

Is there such a thing as sexy elevator music? (OK, I'll shut up now)

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Jul 8 2008, 01:04 AM
Ellie
Jul 8 2008, 12:51 AM
PhoenixRising05

Dee can add to the dialogue if she wants. Many Days actors do it. If she hates the writing, she should say something. It's odd because with all the years she's been there, one would think she would. SN and MBE fought like hell to make sure the Ava stuff was acknowledged. If Dee's been hearings complaints about the writing, why hasn't she done anything? I love her dearly but she never seems to do that. She's always seems to settle for what is on the page. Sure, she adds nuances (like holding her glass up to her face to acknowledge the supposed heat wave in Salem) but it just seems like most of the time the writing has to be there and that diminishes her as an actress in my eyes. Time and time again I've seen many Days stars rise above bad, direction-less writing. Dee hasn't and today she did in spots for the first time in awhile but I still think she's playing some moments all wrong and it's not all because of the writing.

I also disagree with many of your points. This is not the old John so it's only logical he has more of a connection with Ava then Marlena. They are similar in what they have gone through and are going through. She has no expectations. She's not constantly recalling the old John. She just accepts him and enjoys him. And why does Marlena need flashbacks? This should be about John. He should have an occasional flashback or two, if anything, and I don't even think we are even close to reaching that point in the story. Here's the thing...once this story is over, Drake and Dee have nothing. There is nothing to be done with them that hasn't been. I really believe that is why this is being milked and taken in new directions. They want them onscreen but ending this story leaves them with nothing. Plus, Drake is enjoying it and so are general fans. I understand why J&M fans aren't but it can't always be about pleasing couple fans. That has been the show's problems for years. I know they created it but still. This story did nothing for the numbers when J&M fans were happy with it so why not go a different route. There are other fans out there. They have good story here that many seem to like and they should go with it.

John is cold because that is who this John is. Marlena, who is written badly, is how she is because she wants the man she loves back. They have at least given her that direction now. Also, I applaud the show for doing other things besides just going with a relationship story. That can come in time. The shipping story and the disk (which is part of the relationship story so I really don't get the fuss about this) have given John more to do. They should really give Marlena more stuff to do on her own but that's another story.
EXCELLENT, Phoenix. Excellent post.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I always pick the wrong time to take a chance and tune back into this show lol.

I watched that elevator crap and IMO it was FUCKING NASTY! Especially Chloe and Lucas it was like low grade porn or something. It was neither entertaining or interesting IMO!
Edited by Tammy, Jul 8 2008, 08:04 AM.

kwarner66

I hated the Daniel/Chelsea scenes, them slobbering over each other at a family BBQ was very inappropriate.

I however did like the Max and Stephanie scenes, with the addition of Nick.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply