Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Passions to air from the very beginning in Canada; Update on page 4
Topic Started: Jul 8 2008, 01:50 PM (2,007 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

RobynIsHere
Jul 8 2008, 04:38 PM
How can you stand to watch it again after you know how it ends?
The same way I stand to re-watch all the TV shows I have on DVD. It does seem like such a long time ago now, but there was a time when PASSIONS was ridiculously good. Frankly, I'd rather watch reruns from 1999-2001 than any new crap that JER would dish out if the show lived on.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm of the exact opposite opinion of you, Mason. JER can still do great things with Passions, and it would be nice if he got another chance to tell it. I want to know who Charity's father is, I want to see the Charity vs. Tabitha battle royale, I wanna know Hank's secret, I want to know the truth about Grace's past, etc. If JER got one more shot, he could finally tell these tales.

I'm not interested in something I've already seen before. Been there, done that. Don't want to live in the past. I want the story to continue, not repeat.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I'd love to see all those things too, but I don't think that JER had any intention of doing them had the show not been cancelled.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

RobynIsHere
Jul 8 2008, 04:38 PM
How can you stand to watch it again after you know how it ends? Re-watching it won't change the outcome.
I watch Charmed re-runs on TNT all the time. I've seen all 8 seasons MANY MANY times. I freaking love Charmed.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Meh, I'm just not into revisiting 2 years ago I guess. Onward and upward is my motto! I'd rather have new 'sodes than oldies.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I would too - if the new episodes in question were at least decent, and IMO, they're not. So I'd rather go back to a time when I actually derived enjoyment from watching the show, instead of frustration.

Deleted User
Deleted User

The DirecTV episodes have been kind of redundant until recently, but most of 2007 on NBC was superb! I wish the show had lasted one more year and he had brought back Charity and had her and Tabitha battle it out in the series finale...now we're getting a sort-of rushed finale and I don't think we'll all be satisfied with the outcome.
Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

if it were free it'd be fun to watch again, but definitely not worth buying Superchannel for.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Cool. I hope USA does pick them up. I would really like to see 1999-mid 2005 again at least.

Deleted User
Deleted User

RobynIsHere
Jul 8 2008, 06:20 PM
Meh, I'm just not into revisiting 2 years ago I guess. Onward and upward is my motto! I'd rather have new 'sodes than oldies.
yeah, but early "Passions" was ridiculously good. I mean, there's a reason it made the cover of TV Guide (full page) and had all those "best show" nods in its first few years. hell, I'd watch the old reruns just to see the INCREDIBLE montages they did in the beginning. (They did montages like no one's business; better than any other soap, ever.)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Most of you don't seem to remember the early years. There was absolutely NO plot progression, characters repeated themselves ad nauseum, and there were tons and tons of flashbacks. It wasn't until 2004 that the stories really began to pick up and pay off.
Quote Post Goto Top

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

RobynIsHere
Jul 9 2008, 02:44 PM
Most of you don't seem to remember the early years. There was absolutely NO plot progression, characters repeated themselves ad nauseum, and there were tons and tons of flashbacks. It wasn't until 2004 that the stories really began to pick up and pay off.
LOL! Those things still happen.

Deleted User
Deleted User

psychofan
Jul 9 2008, 02:54 PM
RobynIsHere
LOL! Those things still happen.
To a much lesser extent.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

RobynIsHere
No plot movement? What then, would you call the Prom Boat disaster, Sheridan's "murder"/burial alive, Ethan's New Years paternity reveal, Hell in the Closet, the double wedding, Bermuda, Theresa getting pregnant with LE, Julian's "murder", Zombie Charity, Kay having sex with Miguel and getting pregnant, Timmy's death leading to Julian getting Tabitha pregnant, and the December 2002 weddings?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Jul 9 2008, 04:23 PM
RobynIsHere
No plot movement? What then, would you call the Prom Boat disaster, Sheridan's "murder"/burial alive, Ethan's New Years paternity reveal, Hell in the Closet, the double wedding, Bermuda, Theresa getting pregnant with LE, Julian's "murder", Zombie Charity, Kay having sex with Miguel and getting pregnant, Timmy's death leading to Julian getting Tabitha pregnant, and the December 2002 weddings?
1) The Prom Boat disaster didn't do much to further the main relationships or stories. It was exciting, of course, but the only development from that was Theresa admitting to Ethan that she loved him.

2) Sheridan's buried alive wrapped up the long-running drug cartel storyline, so I'll give you that one; however, it failed to shed light on Hank's mysterious secret past.

3) Ethan's paternity reveal was the first real long-running secret payoff. I was just thinking about this the other night. Passions established many mysteries the first summer it was on, one of which was Ivy's secret that Sam was Ethan's real father. This was the first big secret to be revealed. Other secrets, like Martin Fitzgerald's disappearance, the night Sheridan supposedly stabbed someone to death, Eve's past, and TC's shed wouldn't be revealed for more than another 3 years. I'll give you this one, but it's not as bombastic as the one-two punch of Eve's past, TC's shed, and Martin.

4) Hell in a Closet also didn't further any storyline or resolve anything. It served to end the Hecuba arc, who was a minor, short-term character. No dice on this, sorry.

5) The double wedding was a non-event. No one got married!

6) The revelation about Little Ethan's true paternity wasn't revealed until 2006 and still hasn't paid off, so no go here.

7) Julian's "murder" is very similar to Little Ethan's paternity. It was a flash-in-the-pan moment, and it wasn't for another 4 years that we learned who shot him. 4 years!

8) Zombie Charity, while entertaining, was pointless.

9) Kay raping Miguel was the climax of her evil schemes to get Miguel, so I'll give you that one.

10) Tabitha's pregnancy/Timmy's death: Interesting, but again, they were based on short-term developments.

11) The December weddings--only 2 couples got married, and both of them were the wrong ones! Also short term developments.

In 2004, the truth about Eve's past came out, and then we learned the secret of TC's shed. We also learned what happened to Martin and Katherine. Chad learned he was Julian and Eve's long-lost son. In 2005, the truth about Sheridan's nightmares was revealed, thus paying off a long-running secret. In 2006, we learned that Liz tried to kill Julian and Alistair. We also found out Little Ethan was Ethan's son, and that Chad wasn't Julian and Eve's son after all. The truth about Ivy's scheme to break up Sam and Grace was revealed. In 2007, we learned the true identity of the Julian/Eve child, and that Vincent was masquerading as Valerie for years. As you can see, it wasn't til 2004 that all the original mysteries Passions set up began to pay off. Everything pre-2004 was set up so we'd enjoy the fallout that much more.
Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

^ ITA

Kenny
Member Avatar

LoL, wasn't once enough?

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

I hate that it will still be on Super Channel. Super Channel sucks and isn't worth the price.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

darraholic
Jul 9 2008, 08:34 PM
I hate that it will still be on Super Channel. Super Channel sucks and isn't worth the price.
How much does it cost?

They are probably like DirecTV. lol

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

I use Star Choice and they charge somewhere around $14-15 a month. All the movies on SC are quite boring. When I had the free preview in April all I watched was Passions.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply