Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SAG Strike Not Likely? | AFTRA Accepts Deal!; SAG Rejects Deal
Topic Started: Jul 8 2008, 08:51 PM (1,162 Views)
King
Member Avatar

Members of the American Federation of Television & Radio Artists have ratified the union's primetime deal, spurning SAG's avid campaigning to vote down the contract.

AFTRA said 62% of those voting supported the deal. Announcement came Tuesday evening following a month of bitter battling between the thesp unions.

The ratification was not a surprise due to the faltering economy and the lingering impact of the 100-day WGA strike. Terms in the AFTRA pact mirror those in the contracts signed by the WGA and DGA, along with the majors' final offer to SAG.

The results represent a slap to SAG leadership, which has held out for a better deal with the implied threat of a strike. SAG has yet to take a strike authorization vote and - given the AFTRA vote -- it's highly doubtful that it could achieve the needed 75% endorsement for a work stoppage.

SAG had been hoping that a defeat of the AFTRA deal would give it the increased leverage it needs to obtain better terms. Instead, it now faces the unsavory prospect of AFTRA signing up new shows shot on digital - an area of shared jurisdiction - with the new contract.

Ballots went out to all 70,000 AFTRA members, including 44,000 SAG members who belong to both unions. Alec Baldwin, Sally Field, Tom Hanks and Susan Sarandon backed the AFTRA deal while Viggo Mortensen, Jack Nicholson, Nick Nolte and Martin Sheen endorsed SAG's anti-AFTRA stance.

The Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers broke off negotiations by delivering the final offer on June 30, a few hours before SAG's feature-primetime contract expired. Actors have been working since on some TV programs under terms of the expired deal; SAG's also granted waivers to over 355 indie features.

The AMPTP announced Tuesday morning that the meeting with SAG had been set and added, "The Producers remain hopeful that SAG will accept our final offer."

SAG had contended that actors deserve sweeter terms in areas such as new media, DVD residuals and salary minimums. AFTRA argued that approval will put the industry back to work and that the deal includes gains in salaries and new media without rollbacks or concessions
Edited by King, Jul 8 2008, 08:51 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Thank God! The last thing we need is another strike.

ljacks13
Member Avatar

Well at least, soap actors will remain working since a majority or all of them belong to AFTRA

Mason
Member Avatar

Praise the lord!

sungrey

Thank God. Prime time couldn't take another season of reality and reruns.

Mason
Member Avatar

^ Primetime's not the only one who couldn't take that, LoL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Good. The last thing that is needed is another strike. Glad someone wised up.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jul 9 2008, 12:43 AM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I never expected it to go to one, actually. It would be an utter waste of time and completely ruin any momentum we've gained since the writer's strike ended.

FanODays

Hmmm, SAG was so sure that after the WGA strike they had more power and leverage but it seems to be working in the reverse because people don't want to be out of work again only to find that their slot on TV was replaced with another reality TV show.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Exactly. SAG is wasting their time. It's almost a joke.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Hollywood producers say SAG rejects contract offer By RYAN NAKASHIMA, AP Business Writer
42 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - The Screen Actors Guild rejected the latest contract offer from Hollywood studios on Thursday but claimed it was willing to negotiate and presented a counterproposal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Producers, however, didn't appear as willing to consider any revisions to what they called their final offer.

"We made it clear our final is our final and that we're not interested in further counterproposals," said Jesse Hiestand, a spokesman for the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.

The two sides met privately for more than five hours before the AMPTP released a statement saying the guild was "unreasonably" seeking more than other unions. The session came as actors continue to work under a contract that expired last month.

The studios made their final offer last week, saying it provided $250 million in additional compensation over three years. The studios said they will not make any pay increases retroactive to July 1 if the deal is not ratified by Aug. 15.

Doug Allen, SAG's executive director and chief negotiator, called the $250 million estimate "highly inflated," claiming that proposed raises to actors' minimum wages would not benefit the higher-paid actors.

Allen said the guild made a "comprehensive counterproposal that adopted some of their proposals and offered alternatives on others."

SAG, the largest and most powerful actors union, represents 120,000 actors in movies, TV and other media.

It is seeking greater compensation for DVDs, something neither writers, directors nor a smaller actors union could secure in negotiations.

SAG also wants more say for actors when they are asked to endorse products in scripted shows.

SAG committee members are scheduled to meet Friday to discuss the situation. SAG officials said they will contact producers Friday afternoon.

AMPTP said in the statement that the guild should consider the consequences of not accepting the latest offer.

"The last thing we need is a long, hot summer of labor strife that puts even more pressure on a badly struggling economy and deprives audiences of the entertainment they clearly desire in such difficult times," the AMPTP said.

On Tuesday, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, a smaller union with 70,000 members, approved a three-year deal for a handful of prime-time TV shows, including "Rules of Engagement" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

SAG, however, represents the vast majority of actors who work in prime-time TV shows and movies. Any work stoppage by its members could throw the industry into turmoil.

The guild and studios have said they want to avoid a repeat of the 100-day strike by the Writers Guild of America that ended in February. That walkout stalled production on dozens of TV shows and is estimated to have cost the Los Angeles area economy more than $2 billion.

The studios' position that it had made its final offer left open the possibility that it could declare talks that have reached an impasse. If confirmed by the National Labor Relations Board, the declaration would let studios impose certain clauses of their offer on the guild.

However, most of the proposed contract changes favor the guild, making it unclear if an impasse would benefit the studios.

The studios said the possibility of a SAG strike sent some film producers rushing to finish shooting or to delay projects for fear they would be shut down before filming was complete.

But even after the contract expired, on-location movie shoots were on the rise in Los Angeles, according to permitting group FilmL.A. Inc.

There were 101 shooting days on location in Los Angeles between July 2 and July 8, up from 97 days a year ago, it said, making the studios' claim that labor uncertainty had caused a de facto strike in Hollywood somewhat dubious.

AFTRA said its three-year deal establishes higher fees for downloaded content and residual payments for ad-supported steams and clips.

It also sets a 90-day deadline after ratification to develop rules that would have actors consent to the use of clips in a commercial market similar to iTunes.

The AFTRA deal boosts minimum wages by 3.5 percent in the first year of the contract, 3 percent in the second and 3.5 percent in the third. The increase is slightly higher than the bumps received by directors and writers.

The deal with AFTRA largely followed the script laid out in contracts approved by directors and writers. SAG and AFTRA had agreed to the same starting proposals but took different tacks with the studios, the first time they had negotiated separately for the first time in 27 years.

In March, AFTRA accused SAG of trying to entice actors in the soap drama "The Bold and The Beautiful" to abandon the federation. AFTRA said then it was in the best interests of its members to deal with the studios on its own.

Pressure for a speedy resolution to negotiations came from A-list actors such as Tom Hanks, George Clooney, Meryl Streep and Robert De Niro, who took out ads in trade publications in March that called for talks to start months ahead of the June 30 expiration of the contract.

SAG reached separate deals that cleared the way for more than 350 independent productions to raise financing and start work.

The agreements called for those companies to abide retroactively by the long-term contract eventually reached with the major studios.

Mason
Member Avatar

I understood and supported the WGA strike, but this is just about sheer greed. How much money do these people need, for Christ's sake? Just accept a damn deal!

Tammy
Member Avatar

I might just be me but I find it hard to have sympathy for people who are constantly bitching and demanding more money. Especially in this day and age when there are millions of people in this country who can't find a damn job, and would do these peoples jobs for HALF the pay they already get!

I am all for people getting what they deserve to get pay wise... but it is what some of these people think they deserve that gets my goat.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree with Mason.

This is just an endless cycle of greed and it will never stop. Once this finds resolution, it will start all over again when the next contract for whoever is up. Then, when that group gets what they want, the other group will want more and so on.

I'm all for fairness but it's time some of these people remember the innocents involved. How many people who had nothing to do with the WGA lost their jobs during the writer's strike? It was appalling and what made it worse is all they got was the whole "we appreciate your sacrifice for our cause" BS. Yeah, how wonderful. Those people have to struggle while the greedy get what they want.

I'm honestly getting sickened more and more by this. It really has to stop. It's ok to seek out a fair deal but be adults about it. I swear, I've seen little kids at a playground have more maturity at times then those involved in the WGA, SAG, etc.

King
Member Avatar

Oh no.

This is not good news. :(

Hopefully they make a counter offer NOW.

Manny
Member Avatar

Oh I cannot believe this!

Okay, they don't want to work... fine... bring in new actors... :P Like me... Pay me for half of what they've earned and I'll be the new acting star.. :P :laugh:

FanODays

PhoenixRising05
Jul 11 2008, 12:59 AM
I agree with Mason.

This is just an endless cycle of greed and it will never stop. Once this finds resolution, it will start all over again when the next contract for whoever is up. Then, when that group gets what they want, the other group will want more and so on.

I'm all for fairness but it's time some of these people remember the innocents involved. How many people who had nothing to do with the WGA lost their jobs during the writer's strike? It was appalling and what made it worse is all they got was the whole "we appreciate your sacrifice for our cause" BS. Yeah, how wonderful. Those people have to struggle while the greedy get what they want.

I'm honestly getting sickened more and more by this. It really has to stop. It's ok to seek out a fair deal but be adults about it. I swear, I've seen little kids at a playground have more maturity at times then those involved in the WGA, SAG, etc.
They are all willing to cut off their nose to spite their faces. Gov Arnold must be going nuts over what its going to do to the economy in LA if SAG does strike. The upside is that if many of the studios are black for the summer CA may not have as many brownouts due to their power consumption.

~bl~
Member Avatar

This is crazy...yes reality shows aren't doing as well as before, but this sucks. Does SAG really want to hurt themselves more, as reality shows tend to be under AFTRA if they are in any union (see American Idol).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply