Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SUDS REPORT; Tuc Watkins out again!
Topic Started: Jul 11 2008, 11:12 AM (2,475 Views)
Rakesh198
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Jul 11 2008, 01:52 PM
This just in: Passions still sucks. And it's cancelled. There are no scoops, that show's finale was written off years ago. And we're only allowed to post spoilers a week before they air.
I'm surprise you didn't mention that Passions reruns will be airing in Canada. USA will air reruns for US residents. USA haven;t confirmed that yet. Super Channel confirmed that they will air reruns this August.

Thanks for posting. GL peeps can pay to go to work. They make enough money.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Passions repeats! Stop the presses! You can see it all on youtube.com!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

hunterforrester
Jul 11 2008, 03:36 PM
Passions repeats! Stop the presses! You can see it all on youtube.com!
Til the copyright police remove them. :huh:
What I want do know is.....what are all the supposed backstage shenanigans going on at Days that's going to have things in a turmoil? I've read rumors, but not sustance.

Mason
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jul 11 2008, 03:40 PM
What I want do know is.....what are all the supposed backstage shenanigans going on at Days that's going to have things in a turmoil? I've read rumors, but not sustance.
Hopefully, a certain head writer is being given the boot along with most of said writer's team in a total creative overhaul.

King
Member Avatar

You can put me back on the BBQ if it means you get to eat me. :) :laugh:

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Jul 11 2008, 03:42 PM
ladyofthelake
Hopefully, a certain head writer is being given the boot along with most of said writer's team in a total creative overhaul.
I hope that's true!! What possessed Corday to bring back Higley in the first place after how poorly her first go-round was received? He probably felt bad because he had to replace her with JER not long into her stint. But still..why rehire her when they could've rehired Sheri Anderson?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Tuc Watkins(David, OLTL) is basically recurring, so all these comings & goings don't really matter, because in about 2 months he'll be back again I can almost guarantee. Love David & hope he and Addie stay together. I do wish he'd go back on contract with OLTL.

I hope Vincent Irizarry comes to GH as David. This would be very interesting. I think GH should also get Cady McClain as Dixie, who could be brainwashed by David and living with David as maybe his wife. The joke would be on David if he were to come to Port Charles not knowing that his ex, Anna is back in Port Charles herself.
Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

RobynIsHere
Jul 11 2008, 03:52 PM
Mason
Jul 11 2008, 03:42 PM
ladyofthelake
I hope that's true!! What possessed Corday to bring back Higley in the first place after how poorly her first go-round was received? He probably felt bad because he had to replace her with JER not long into her stint. But still..why rehire her when they could've rehired Sheri Anderson?
Sorry to put this OT, Nelson. And, no, the rumblings I hear have nothing to do with Dena. Frankly, I've heard so much about the sainted Sheri Anderson from people who absolutely turn me off, she could be a Truman Capote caliber writer and I'd still hate the looks of her name. But this thread wasn't about that, so again, I apologize about the OT.
Tuc shall return. It keeps us from getting too tired of David! :D I hope he kicks Dorian's ass before he goes!
Edited by ladyofthelake, Jul 12 2008, 11:46 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

If GL offers transportation and the actors just don't want to get up early for it, then I can't fault the show. Besides, it has bigger concerns LOL.

Good column, Nelson.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Steve Frame
Jul 11 2008, 01:43 PM
Quote:

The imposter playing Lily

Oh Nelson, you know I love you and I support you big time, but I so wish you had not said ----well typed that.

I hated when ABC bought into this new fan thing of faux or fake or whatever the fans call it these days. I hated that ABC villified fans saying that by making a big promo of it and now here you go villifying it.

I love Martha Byrne too and hated to lose her, but so did I with many others through my years of watching soaps. But I still loved the character - the character was still the same. I wish we could get back into that mode - I think soaps would be a whole lot better off - if once again the fans thought of it as being about the characters and not who is playing them.
This is nothing new, other than networks making inappropriate promos. Viewers have always had an opinion as to who is playing the roles on soaps, and which version of a character they liked better. People may not have known their names back in the old days, but they still knew they "liked the old Ashley(or whoever) better"

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

They were never known as fake or faux or as imposter though.

They were still just the character.

They didn't quit watching because so and so was replaced or there was a new face in the role or anything. Many roles were recast - even big ones - because the characters were essential to the story and things just went on.

Today it is a totally different thing than what it used to be and that was my point.

I hate to see any one in the limelight villify what the fans have come up with. The ABC campaign was tasteless and I am glad they got called out by the soap press for it. To villify by saying "the real Greenlee" has returned.

I just think it sets a bad precedent for a journalist to say the imposter portraying Lily, because again it is villifying what fans are doing these days.

In the 70's in particular I saw the big roles of several performers recast: most of the leads on Y&R; Amy Ames on The Secret Storm for awhile; Vicki Lord on OLTL; Rachel Davis on AW; Alice Frame on AW; Dan Stewart on ATWT; Leslie Bauer on GL; Tara Martin on AMC; Phil Brent on AMC; Susan Martin on Days; Laura Horton on Days; ---- just to name a few.

Do you think someone like Victoria Wyndham would have ever made it in the role of Rachel on Another World if the press had called her the imposter portraying Rachel. Robin Strasser was very very popular. They didn't. Fans accepted it and went on.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Your right, Steve. Fans were just more accepting back then of alot of things. So many of the things that were given chances, even up to 10 years ago, would be panned right off the bat now. If that had happened back then, who knows what would've happened to the soaps and many other shows.

The problem is back then people were just in it for the stories. They cared about the quality. They just wanted good stories. You had fans of the whole show. Now, most fans only tune in for certain characters or couples and the fans who count and determine which shows stay and go are fans who only tune in for the action and events and not for the little moments that made soaps great. They don't stick around for the whole story. They could care less about whether a writer plays each beat, unlike the die hard fans like us on boards like this. It's really sad.

I'm in the process of interviewing a recently retired university professor who did major research on television shows, ratings, changes over the years, and the like. He retired back in May but had my nephew as a student this past year so I went up and talked to him and we are supposed to be meeting soon. He's going to research some things for me too via contacts he has. I'm just curious to see if some of the observations we've all discussed are accurate. I know many of different ages who watch soaps and have differing reactions. It's just interesting to look into and I can't wait to find answers.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jul 13 2008, 02:26 AM.

King
Member Avatar

LMAO.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply