Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
LATEST RATINGS: Bad week B&B/ATWT; B&B/ATWT hits lows in HH and Demos
Topic Started: Jul 11 2008, 01:16 PM (3,705 Views)
kserox10

From Toups:

"Looking at the dailies, if there were weekly ratings, DAYS would've got a 1.0 in 18-49 and 0.8 in 18-34. "
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Further news from Toups about Days:

Looking at the dailies, if there were weekly ratings, DAYS would've got a 1.0 in 18-49 and 0.8 in 18-34.

From these even GL would have beat them in both of the key demos. They would have only been ahead of ATWT which is last in both I think I heard someone say.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Y&R's all time low is a 3.4 so it tied it this week

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Steve Frame
Jul 11 2008, 02:15 PM
Toups just posted this news:

There's no weekly ratings for DAYS because Mon-Wed were coded as specials. Weird. There's only dailies for DAYS.

ATWT is last in 18-49 with a 0.8!!! Yikes!
Wow...that is weird.

They have never done that before. Perhaps they were worried with being the only soap now so they made a preemptive strike since the numbers for this week the past few years have sucked. It's actually a smart move, I guess. I mean, they knew it would be low but it wasn't really that bad when you look at it compared to last week. They only lost .2. I was expecting much worse.

I don't think Higley is gone yet. My bet is late August. She and Corday, I think, are in the process of having a falling out so I will give it another month or so before it all blows up and she gets axed.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

kserox10
Jul 11 2008, 02:21 PM
From Toups:

"Looking at the dailies, if there were weekly ratings, DAYS would've got a 1.0 in 18-49 and 0.8 in 18-34. "
Probably a good thing they didn't count it then.

While the HH aren't so bad, the demos sucked.

King
Member Avatar

God, you know it's bad when Y&R even starts tanking.

I am sure most will bounce back next week, at least .1......

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Go GL, go!!!

King
Member Avatar

I agree, Tim.

I think Higley and Corday are slowly going to take their frustrations out on each other, and she'll be done.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Yep. It's happened like that with every writer. Ratings kept going down and it wasn't until Corday had a falling out with the person that he axed them.

Dena already had one blog bitching about her ideas getting rejected. Then, Rick Draughon got promoted and Victor G (her buddy) got demoted and I really do think it's funny how things have improved a bit since Draughon began being credited as co-HW. Things have more of a flow.

Regardless, I think she is goner and will be gone by at least mid-Fall. I really do. The autism story had her face plastered all over it and it's off to a rocky start. I think Draughon is a major threat to her because his promotion reeked of NBC involvement and he did do Coastal Dreams. The fact that we have no official NBC announcement yet about a renewal (even though Ed Scott said the show was safe) makes me wonder if there is discussion about axing Dena and giving Rick the job so that they slate can be wiped clean. Just something I've been thinking about based on the last few months as most of May and June the show was direction-less and it seemed like Corday and Higley could be conflicting, especially after her complaining in her blog during that time period.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jul 11 2008, 02:38 PM.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

All the soaps are going to have to take a page out of Douglas Marland's life playbook if they are going to survive.

Douglas Marland didn't want to do the rape story with Luke & Laura - he wanted to go with Scotty & Laura longer. He gave in and did a damned good job writing for GH.

He didn't like Allen Potter's ideas for GL but he wrote the show using all his talent to write what made for good entertainment - even if it was not his vision.

All the writers today are too busy seeking their own agenda and complaining to the damn press or on the Internet about it - instead of putting that energy and creativity into writing a damn good compelling show.

They do it halfheartedly and people make excuses for them. All of us go into our jobs and we do what the bosses tell us to do. We do it their way - we don't go in and change all of the companies policies, etc. to fit our own.

The EP is boss on a show and they have to answer to him.

I am not sure Ken Corday is that great but to tell you the honest truth we never have really gotten to know. At least for the last 3 writing regimes, they have fought and what has come across on the screen is garbage. JER's vision was changed so he didn't have his heart in his writing and he wrote boring crap. Sheffer didn't get to do what he wanted so he wrote boring lifeless crap. Higley is now not getting to do what she wants so she is now writing boring liefless crap.

What is strange is that you know all of these writers can write good stories - they show it when they get to do what they want. But the minute someone tells them they can't - they are like babies and just do it half-heartedly.

All the shows have got to have one vision. If Ken Corday is boss then let him set the vision for the show and go with it. And write it with the talent that you have. All this fighting and saying well if you don't do it my way this is what you get is killing soaps.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

Hey Phoenix, is Rick a good writer?

Ellie

Kenny
Jul 11 2008, 02:13 PM
Man, I kinda with Days would've hit a 1.5, just so it could've been in last place. I would've loved that.

I bet Higley gets the axe this week! :)
Hope so! :smile:

Maybe we should start a pool! When will Higley get fired?

Charmqn
Member Avatar

I actually believe Dena will be fired around Sept.

Get a new writer in before Nov. sweeps.

King
Member Avatar

We need a new EP! Not a new writer. Haha.

We should all be hoping Corday retires.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Sept won't do any good for Nov. sweeps.

Hogan was hired before that and he couldn't get his stuff ready for Nov. sweeps. So unless it was someone like Rick Draughon who is already on staff I don't see that helping at all.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

Is Rick Draughon a good writer?

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Quote:

I think Draughon is a major threat to her because his promotion reeked of NBC involvement and he did do Coastal Dreams.

Hi did CD? He should be doing CD season. The finale was excellent.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

King
Jul 11 2008, 02:56 PM

Keep dreaming. lol

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

King
Jul 11 2008, 02:56 PM

As I said before I think if they would all quit trying to run the show and let one person run it - that would help more than anything else.

For the last few years there have just been too many visions. NBC has what they want, Sony has an idea what they want, Corday has his idea, and the HW has his/hers. And all of them have been too busy trying to get their way that the show has suffered big time.

Get with one program and stick with it. If you ask me that is more the problem than anything else.

And if the HW won't play ball - fire them. I am tired of HW's who have talent but wont' use it when they don't get their way. I have no sympathy for them at all.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Charmqn
Jul 11 2008, 02:57 PM
Is Rick Draughon a good writer?
Well, he was on staff around 2002 and stayed through all of JER's second stint. I really don't know. I never watched Coastal Dreams but he was EP, creator, and HW of that. All I really know is he began being credited last week as co-HW and the show has improved alot IMO. It makes me wonder if this will end up like what happened at OLTL. Ron got promoted to co-HW and Dena was gone shortly after. I'm willing to give Rick a shot. He is an unknown but you never know. I guess Rick was a mod or something on the Soapcentral boards at one point and he seems to be a Broe fan and not a big fan of J&M. Who knows though.

Steve is right in that behind the scenes clashes are killing these shows. That and being too afraid to take risks. Days worries too much when they see the slightest big of fan unrest. They need to commit to story and just go with it. The show has changed gears so much over the last ten years, it's enough to give you whiplash. I do think the show will always be up and down because of Corday. It's just going to be the way it is. His stupidest mistake was getting rid of B&C. Days was on such a high and he fucked it up big time.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply