Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
LATEST RATINGS: Bad week B&B/ATWT; B&B/ATWT hits lows in HH and Demos
Topic Started: Jul 11 2008, 01:16 PM (3,706 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Yes King that is my guess for the 3 shows cancelled.

As to JER he is right up there with Gloria Monty who were great for short term, but overall did more damage to daytime soaps than any other 2 individuals ever.

I rank them:

1) James E. Reilly
2) Gloria Monty
3) Brian Frons

I think those 3 and a few others have done more damage overall to daytime soap operas than any other individuals in the history of daytime. I can't think of his name right now but that damn guy who was the head of NBC daytime in the 50's and early 60's is right up there with them too. He hinderd NBC from establishing itself in the business.

Reilly and Monty in the long run are more to blame to me because they were able to grab ratings and attention for daytime but they didn't use it to a good advantage. They worried about the short term and didn't care what they were doing to the genre and to the shows as a whole.

I put Sherri Anderson up there too because even though she learned under Pat Falken Smith and margaret DePriest and trained under William J. Bell himself in the 70's, she forgot so much of what they taught her. She is as much to blame for Days troubles today as JER and the others are. She is the main one who turned Days into a couple show - even under Bell, Smith and DePreist the show had great couples but it was about the stories and not the couples. Anderson's stories to me became more about the couples. With JER they were more about the shock.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

RobynIsHere
Jul 11 2008, 05:16 PM
Am I the only one who sees JER as the one true champion of daytime?
YES

Deleted User
Deleted User

I don't mind being alone in my opinion, just as JER doesn't mind being alone as champion.

We need JER to bring Days (or other soaps) back to their glory. I would love to see him and Sheri Anderson re-team and save Days again.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Tripp
Jul 11 2008, 05:20 PM
RobynIsHere
Jul 11 2008, 05:12 PM
The Salem Stalker storyline was a HUGE ratings success. And as I said, the masses don't appreciate Passions. It's for a much more refined audience.
The Salem Stalker....isn't that the story where he off'd all the veterans along with beloved Alice using donuts? I would hardly say that was a ratings success given fans were so outraged KC was forced to hire everyone back and grin really big with "just kidding!"

I do admit I liked JERk very early on with Carly's buried alive story. But he is responsible for driving many of the long time soap fans away from Days, especially with the devil possession story.
Marlena's possession was one of JER's most critically acclaimed stories, and it brought in HUUUUUGE ratings for the show!
Quote Post Goto Top

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

RobynIsHere
Jul 11 2008, 05:54 PM
Tripp
Jul 11 2008, 05:20 PM
RobynIsHere
Jul 11 2008, 05:12 PM
The Salem Stalker storyline was a HUGE ratings success. And as I said, the masses don't appreciate Passions. It's for a much more refined audience.
The Salem Stalker....isn't that the story where he off'd all the veterans along with beloved Alice using donuts? I would hardly say that was a ratings success given fans were so outraged KC was forced to hire everyone back and grin really big with "just kidding!"

I do admit I liked JERk very early on with Carly's buried alive story. But he is responsible for driving many of the long time soap fans away from Days, especially with the devil possession story.
Marlena's possession was one of JER's most critically acclaimed stories, and it brought in HUUUUUGE ratings for the show!
Sure it did, but only for the short term. In the long run JER's wackiness is what drove many fans away from DAYS.

RionPassions is at it again folks! :drunk:

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

JER & Beth left DAYS is an excellent postition ratings wise. And JER only tied Dena Higley's record low twice
during his whole run. He never sent the show to record lows as stated above. :tounge:

January 2.8/9
February 2.6/9
March 2.6/9
April 2.6/8
May 2.5/9
(JER's stuff phased out, Ghost writers start June)
June 2.6/8
July 2.6/8
Beth Milstein Starts
August 2.7/8
September 2.6/9
Hogan Sheffer Starts October 2006
November 2.5/9
December 2.6/9
January 2.6/8
February 2.7/8
March 2.2/8 <-----New Record Low in HH and Viewers
April 2.0/7<-------New Record Low in HH, 18-34, 18-49 & Viewers
May 2.0/7 <-------Ties Record Low in HH, 18-49 & Viewers
June 2.2/7
July 2.0/6 <-------New Record Low in HH, 18-34, 18-49 & Viewers
August 2.1/7
September 2.0/7
October 1.8/6<------New Record Low in HH & Viewers

Edited by Rick, Jul 12 2008, 01:13 AM.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Days is abysmal. They simply can't do anything right. I don't think there are any other soaps on right now with even 1/2 the talent that Days has but all Days knows how to do is NOT capitalize on it. It's really quite pathetic.

Does is strike anyone else that the only front burner "together" couple besides BOPE are Stephanie and Max?? I mean, does STAX even have any fans? This is a couple with a huge red x against them being they are related there are a lot of people who are NEVER going to accept them together. Why does the show insist on this pairing? The actors don't particularly have that much chemistry. Who decided this was such a good idea they be paired up and front burnered??? That person - maybe they need to call it a career in the soap business.

I still see almost no fanbase for this couple a year later and it's as though the show completely ignores that reality or thinks that if they just keep shoving them down our throats over and over - more and more - we'll change our minds.

Days is just disrespectful to their viewers. Almost all of the stories require dumbing down the characters to the point you almost wonder if they even have a brain.

Days is known as the couples show but it's like they start up a pairing, get fans interested and then pull the rug from under them with something stupid and utterly unbelievable. Why should fans even bother investing? Like Chelsea - just as fans were starting to root for Nick/Chelsea - the writers had Nick sleep with Billie. Just as viewers are investing in Chan, they will reveal Dan slept with Kate. So now viewers are going to be stuck for a year or two of Daniel and Chelsea when most of the audience will be permanently turned off by them because it's just gross for a woman to be dating a guy who slept with her grandma. What's the point?

In the past, Days always had rootable characters who you loved and delicious villians you loved to hate. Now, everyone is kind of MEH. Everyone is a pawn to be sacrificed for the sake of driving some lame plot only the writers think is interesting. Nothing is sacred on this show anymore.

It leaves viewers feeling empty and cold. It's no surprise fans are choosing not to tune in anymore.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

RobynIsHere
Jul 11 2008, 04:57 PM
King
Jul 11 2008, 04:53 PM
JER *WAS* the master of getting up ratings. Past tense.
Still is. But Passions has a limited audience due to its being on DirecTV, as well as people not having a sophisticated-enough taste to truly appreciate it.
So your saying one needs sophisticated-enough taste to appreciate the incest on Passions?

I was a fan and viewed pretty regularly until Valerie/Vincent was revealed to be the Evian child who knowingly had sex with their own father. That was the straw that broke the camel's back and when it seemed like enough was enough, even people trying to excuse it as another one of JER's crazy and outlandish ratings grabbing stunts wasn't enough to make me watch again even though I have Directv.

I cover Passions here at the DR because I enjoyed what it once was the first few years, not the cluster*ck it turned into.

Manny
Member Avatar

Wow... someone here is DELUSIONAL!!!

FanODays

ElvisDiMera
Jul 12 2008, 01:44 AM
Days is abysmal. They simply can't do anything right. I don't think there are any other soaps on right now with even 1/2 the talent that Days has but all Days knows how to do is NOT capitalize on it. It's really quite pathetic.

Does is strike anyone else that the only front burner "together" couple besides BOPE are Stephanie and Max?? I mean, does STAX even have any fans? This is a couple with a huge red x against them being they are related there are a lot of people who are NEVER going to accept them together. Why does the show insist on this pairing? The actors don't particularly have that much chemistry. Who decided this was such a good idea they be paired up and front burnered??? That person - maybe they need to call it a career in the soap business.

I still see almost no fanbase for this couple a year later and it's as though the show completely ignores that reality or thinks that if they just keep shoving them down our throats over and over - more and more - we'll change our minds.

Days is just disrespectful to their viewers. Almost all of the stories require dumbing down the characters to the point you almost wonder if they even have a brain.

Days is known as the couples show but it's like they start up a pairing, get fans interested and then pull the rug from under them with something stupid and utterly unbelievable. Why should fans even bother investing? Like Chelsea - just as fans were starting to root for Nick/Chelsea - the writers had Nick sleep with Billie. Just as viewers are investing in Chan, they will reveal Dan slept with Kate. So now viewers are going to be stuck for a year or two of Daniel and Chelsea when most of the audience will be permanently turned off by them because it's just gross for a woman to be dating a guy who slept with her grandma. What's the point?

In the past, Days always had rootable characters who you loved and delicious villians you loved to hate. Now, everyone is kind of MEH. Everyone is a pawn to be sacrificed for the sake of driving some lame plot only the writers think is interesting. Nothing is sacred on this show anymore.

It leaves viewers feeling empty and cold. It's no surprise fans are choosing not to tune in anymore.
IMO Days knows that Darin Brooks is a cutie and has the potential for a big following ala Cook when he first can along. However, they managed to find even worse stories for Max than they did for Shawn, and I didn't think that was possible and SH and DB don't have the same chemistry that Cook and Storms did. They should have kept Max with Morgan and either brought someone new in for Philip or kept Belle for him.

As for Reilly, the worst thing he did to the show is to create a situation the allowed the show to start treating the viewers as if we were morons when the dead that we had been promised were dead and not because of some DiMera whatever, weren't really dead. It was then that Corday realized he could lie and that he didn't have to be accountable for anything he said. Sure people come back from the dead all the time, now Days does it just weeks after they are buried rather than years.

Corday has no ethics.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rhiannon
Jul 12 2008, 03:48 AM
RobynIsHere
King
Still is. But Passions has a limited audience due to its being on DirecTV, as well as people not having a sophisticated-enough taste to truly appreciate it.
So your saying one needs sophisticated-enough taste to appreciate the incest on Passions?

I was a fan and viewed pretty regularly until Valerie/Vincent was revealed to be the Evian child who knowingly had sex with their own father. That was the straw that broke the camel's back and when it seemed like enough was enough, even people trying to excuse it as another one of JER's crazy and outlandish ratings grabbing stunts wasn't enough to make me watch again even though I have Directv.

I cover Passions here at the DR because I enjoyed what it once was the first few years, not the cluster*ck it turned into.

People just have differing tastes. I love that JER pushed people's buttons and went there. The fact that you had such a wild reaction to it means that it worked, and I applaud JER for doing it. You may have tuned out, but at least you had a strong reaction and weren't just apathetic. I find it odd that you didn't have a problem when Chad and Whitney, who were brother and sister, had a baby together. For two years, we were led to believe they were related. Sure, people posited that they weren't related, but on screen, they were related and their relationship was incesctuous. They even had sex knowing full well they were siblings! This is what drove Whitney to the nunnery. That's the same thing as Valerie knowingly sleeping with his father. So why didn't you have a problem with it then?
Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

RobynIsHere
Jul 12 2008, 12:10 PM
Rhiannon
Jul 12 2008, 03:48 AM
RobynIsHere
King

People just have differing tastes. I love that JER pushed people's buttons and went there. The fact that you had such a wild reaction to it means that it worked, and I applaud JER for doing it. You may have tuned out, but at least you had a strong reaction and weren't just apathetic. I find it odd that you didn't have a problem when Chad and Whitney, who were brother and sister, had a baby together. For two years, we were led to believe they were related. Sure, people posited that they weren't related, but on screen, they were related and their relationship was incesctuous. They even had sex knowing full well they were siblings! This is what drove Whitney to the nunnery. That's the same thing as Valerie knowingly sleeping with his father. So why didn't you have a problem with it then?
When Chad and Whitney first got together neither one of them knew that there was a chance that they could possibly be related. Chad didn't come to town and say "Hey, I think I'm going to find my sister, have sex with her, and knock her up with my baby!" the way Valerie/Vincent did concerning Julian. I never said if I had a problem with Chad and Whitney having sex after finding out they were related, in that instance it did bother me but we had known BOTH characters for a long time at that point and neither one was being sinister concerning their feelings for each other in the way Vincent/Valerie was with both Eve and especially Julian.

The whole Valerie/Vincent thing was and is just sick and disgusting and and it's sickening the way JER is so fascinated with incest.....

Mason
Member Avatar

Rick, I didn't say JER sent DAYS to it's all-time record low NOW. What I said was that he sent the show to what its record low was at the time, which was a 2.3.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Rick
Jul 12 2008, 01:02 AM
And JER only tied Dena Higley's record low twice
during his whole run. He never sent the show to record lows as stated above. :tounge:

I don't think that's right. Higley's record low was 2.6. JER's all-time low was 2.3 in April 2006.

Based on my rough count, JER hit 2.6 or lower 44 times during his second tenure.

http://members.aol.com/jason47b/ratings4.html

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply