Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GH: Genie Francis Back For A Short Stint
Topic Started: Jul 11 2008, 03:52 PM (1,814 Views)
Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080711/ap_en_ot/people_genie_francis
Quote:

By DERRIK J. LANG, AP Entertainment Writer

Genie Francis is checking back into "General Hospital."

The 46-year-old actress again will reprise her role as Laura on the ABC daytime soap opera beginning Aug. 26.

The character's 1981 fairy-tale wedding to Luke (played by Anthony Geary) was watched by 30 million viewers and landed the couple on the cover of Newsweek magazine. Francis began playing Laura in 1976.

"This is a short visit," Francis told The Associated Press on Friday. "It's a mother-daughter story. Years ago when I started playing the character as a 14-year-old girl, it was a mother-daughter story, only I was the daughter. So it's kinda cool this is full circle. It's nice to come back for visits. `General Hospital' is my home."

Laura was last seen slipping in and out of a catatonic state in 2007. The upcoming appearance will feature Laura in a story line with daughter Lulu. Francis, who now runs a home-furnishing shop in Belfast, Maine, said she was told that Laura wouldn't be killed off during her latest guest stint.

"I would stay on, but `General Hospital' honestly doesn't seem to want that relationship with this character at the moment," said Francis. "They want little short doses during sweeps periods. It's not entirely up to me. I'm thrilled and delighted my audience stands behind me. If they didn't, you can be sure I wouldn't get to come back for these visits."

Francis won a supporting actress Daytime Emmy in 2007 for previously reprising the role
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

*sigh*

I wish it was longer. Would give me reason to tune into GH

kserox10

Y&RWorldTurner
Jul 11 2008, 03:52 PM

"I would stay on, but `General Hospital' honestly doesn't seem to want that relationship with this character at the moment," said Francis. "They want little short doses during sweeps periods. It's not entirely up to me. I'm thrilled and delighted my audience stands behind me. If they didn't, you can be sure I wouldn't get to come back for these visits."

Sad that GH does not want her to return full time. Shes such a GREAT character and shes needed!

Deleted User
Deleted User

I can't believe GH doesn't want LAURA, as in "Luke and...". *sigh*
Quote Post Goto Top

Jonatha

That is a very good bit of news on a very bad day. Thanks for posting.

King
Member Avatar

Oh man, I wish I had a TV. I miss GH!

~bl~
Member Avatar

Coolness. Wish it was longer, but will take what I can get in this case.

jcar03
Member Avatar

With the way this show writes women its probably best she only make short return visits.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Glad Genie's returning as Laura but it should be a permanent return. Damn Guza and Phelps.
Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

jcar03
Jul 11 2008, 06:32 PM
With the way this show writes women its probably best she only make short return visits.
Ha. Good point.

I am glad Laura is back although this means I guess I will be stuck watching Lulu if I want to see her. :D

Deleted User
Deleted User

I thought people used to really like Lulu. What happened?
Quote Post Goto Top

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

:cheer: For Laura coming back, :frustration: that I have to watch Lulu in order to see her!! I guess this is going to mean Lulu is going to go nuts and probably see her mom in Shadybrook.

Quote:

I thought people used to really like Lulu. What happened?

I wish I knew, I used to love her character too but I simply can't stand her anymore. Not only do I not care for her but every man they throw at her it seems to ruin them too. I'll take watching Maxie over her any day of the week :popcorn:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Talk about loyalty. I give it up to actors like Genie Francis and Matthew Ashford that continue to return to shows that have screwed the hell out of them in the past. I know it's more about giving the fans what they want rather than wanting to make TPTB happy. And I love that these actors care so much about their fans, who without, they would be nothing.

I think it's in the character of Laura's best interest that it's only a short visit. The writers are clearly treading water right now and giving mediocre material to it's cast. The writing is really bad. I'd rather see Laura for brief times rather than her come back for a permanent and being ruined like everyone else on the show.

King
Member Avatar

It could have less to do with loyalty and more about $$$$$$$$$.

Scott
Member Avatar

Oh man so we get Laura back for a bit, but mainly to pump up Lulu.

Sweetbabygirl
Member Avatar
Meow This!

King
Jul 11 2008, 09:24 PM
Doubt it for GF....her business in Belfast, ME does extremely well so I don't see her as needing the $$$$$$$.

Love her as I do, after the shitty way she was treated when she won the Emmy I'd tell them to eat me....that, or I'd ask for the muhfuckin' world if they wanted me back.

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

Sweetbabygirl
Jul 11 2008, 11:28 PM
King
Jul 11 2008, 09:24 PM
Doubt it for GF....her business in Belfast, ME does extremely well so I don't see her as needing the $$$$$$$.

Love her as I do, after the shitty way she was treated when she won the Emmy I'd tell them to eat me....that, or I'd ask for the muhfuckin' world if they wanted me back.
:werd:

I'm actually quite shocked that she is coming back.

Hopefully this will help bring back some support for Lulu, because, I like most, can't stand the character anymore.

FanODays

kserox10
Jul 11 2008, 04:22 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Jul 11 2008, 03:52 PM

Sad that GH does not want her to return full time. Shes such a GREAT character and shes needed!
If they brought her back full time what would Laura do when Luke is out of town because Geary only seems to work during sweeps lately. Have Tracey and Laura duke it out for Luke's attention? Prop Lulu, no thanks enough do that as it is.

Manny
Member Avatar

Not even Laura can make me watch this crap..

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ok...this reeks of GH and ABC panicking because of the ratings decline. Just bring her back for a bit and boost the numbers and then hope the viewers they get stay. Dumb. I don't even think I should bother tuning in for this. I love Genie but what a waste. Just bring her back already, although I fear what they would do to her if they did. I can't even buy they don't have the money to bring her when we all know Frons would do anything for GH.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply