Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days Backstage Drama Gossip; Well...........hmmmmm
Topic Started: Jul 13 2008, 06:46 AM (9,215 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

OK, I got this off of another board that has a "Backstage Drama" thread. (Don't know if I'm allowed to mention the board, but Tripp and Paxton know about it.) Here's the scoop, paraphrased (and the poster put on that she is NOT the direct source):

There have been backstage politics & squabbles, network demands, and Dena Higley was given a come-to-Jesus. TPTB demanded rewrites and restructuring, the reason for the quick and nonstop couple shuffling. And there will be more. Nicole gets lots of story coming up, but it's still up in the air as to whether EJ will be her guy. They still have not determined a long-term partner for her. Actually, the entire Nicole/E.J./Sami/Lucas/Chloe/Phillip/Morgan mess is still not set in stone, although DH is strongly wanting to write for Lucas/Chloe and Phillip/Morgan this summer. The problem there is that "Lumi" and "Phloe" fans are still strongly supporting those couples, and so the networks don't want to throw in those towels just yet. Also, Tamara Braun was a hit as Ava and it was not just the audience who loved her work with Drake Hogestyn. "Java" was a hit with higher-ups as well, and attempts will be made to get TB back, if they haven't been already come to an agreement. However, even if TB does come back, Deidre Hall can put a stop to "Java", and TB will be chem-tested again elsewhere. Just as with the John/Isabella pairing, DeHa is NOT happy being the odd, older woman out in a triangle, and she may get her way. The show is still in trouble.
She didn't hear anything about EJami. She's not sure if it's completely shelved, but it certainly isn't high priority.
One of us can post more as we hear about it.
So, well, I guess I'll find my happiness with Days when I can. Sounds like it won't last long. Maybe I'll bombard the NBC board! :huh:

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manny
Member Avatar

Geez.. when has DAYS NOT had backstage drama in last 10 years? There is always something going on there.. And those power-struggles behind the scenes are really hurting the show on screen.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Sounds like someone with an anti-Deidre agenda and too much time on their hands.

jules

If any of this is true it's no wonder the show is in trouble. DH wanting to write for Lucas/Chloe is an indication that she doesn't have a clue. What I saw of them together was just awkward. Java being a hit is hard to buy when the ratings/demos have done nothing but drop since they started having scenes together. How do they get info that they were a hit? I do believe all this is the thinking of TBTB because there has to be a reason for the current state of disarray on the show right now. I'm still puzzled because the show was on the upswing a couple of months ago...too bad they didn't continue in that direction.

jules

Ponz
Jul 13 2008, 07:45 AM
Sounds like someone with an anti-Deidre agenda and too much time on their hands.
LOL! You are probably right.

Jonatha

Ponz
I agree, Ponz. Dee gets some kind of bad rap everytime something goes down with John and another female character. Does anyone really believe she has any say in what happens on Days? Does everyone remember the interview she gave SOD about the much anticipated love scene between Marlena and Jawn, that never happened? Sounds like a lot of bull shit to me at least where she is concerned.

Ponz
Member Avatar

If Dena wanted to write for Lucas/Chloe, their scenes wouldn't be so half-assed. If anything, it's the network pushing them and Dena phoning in retaliation.

Shylock

Politics being thrust into a creative medium the style of soaps or whathaveyou is pretty dangerous, when the key to success is long term building and promotion.

Two examples: Nicole/EJ and Phillip/Morgan both got a lot of people talking. Both couples have a lot of chemistry, potential, etc. If you're building those couples up then some schmuck comes along and tells you that you need to go in another direction, then that screws up everything you did and it kills whatever couple you were building up. I'm not talking pro-Dena, I'm talking pro-letting the head writer do his or her job without cutting their balls off (so to speak).

Like the whole Hogan Sheffer thing. I heard that one interview with one of the writers (some tom or tony casiello or whatever?) where he talked about the original plan for the Vendetta Origin storyline plus the whole EJ/Sami follow-up.. and what was said to have been written was so much better and made so much more sense than what actually did happen. And it cost the show big time. All thanks to some dope listening to the NBC message boards for Days and demanding the show extend the storyline out another two weeks or so.

I think Sheff gets a bad wrap about the "not wanting to write for the vets", because it seems to me that it's more likely that he got them taken away from him when shit was just starting to get hot. The plan for the whole John thing, as I recall, was that there was going to be a bit of a love story connection while he was in the coma and all that came of it IIRC were one or two scenes with Marlena over a two month period.

I hate when suits, who obviously live in a creative void, try to dictate the direction of a show.

cjknick
Member Avatar

This if true seems like a bit of old gossip... I read weeks ago that TB was so well received that there was speculation that she would be asked back and it seemed like she was happy that the door was open because she really liked working on the soap and had made friends there. It was unclear whether or not she would be back. I suppose the writing of her character may have changed a bit to allow the possibilty of her return sometime down the road.

As far as the backstage gossip about the Nicole character - no gossip there really it has been known for a long time that Nicole was going to be involved in a number of stories and that she was not going to be paired with any one character specifically. That was the plan and it seems to be playing out that way.

I read awhile back that both Bryan and Nadia knew that their characters were going to be paired with another character infact they had a wish list .... Bryan listed Nadia on his pairing wish list, Nadia however did not list Bryan on hers.

The reason I think these rumors if true are dated is because I would think if they were more current they would include more about why Joe M is returning and the reason for that decison and they would also include more backstage talk about Ali's pregnancy.

If I had to guess how old those whispers are I would say May or early June!
Edited by cjknick, Jul 13 2008, 09:03 AM.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Some sounds possible and some seems exaggerated. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Dena had an idea to try some new pairings but TPTB don't want to upset fanbases. Not saying her pairings are the greatest ideas in the world, but nothing wrong with mixing things up. But again the problem comes back to why should I get my hopes up in getting involved with a new couple when you know at some point the original pairing will be back even if the new couple has more/better stories. Take a Java pairing. Say there is buzz about it, do you really think they will go that long with this pairing at the risk of upsetting Jarlena fans. This is just how I feel with past experiences with this show.

I too have heard the different interviews with Tom Casiello and that their stories were changed from the original plan. I would also not be shocked at all that TPTB are doing the same thing to Dena. Not giving her or Hogan a free pass, but I do believe the problems with Days are not simply who is writing the show.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ponz
Why? The majority of the post is about the whole EJ/Sami/Lucas/Nicole/Philip/Morgan thing. Actually, the Deidre comment as an afterthought.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Jul 13 2008, 09:00 AM
This if true seems like a bit of old gossip... I read weeks ago that TB was so well received that there was speculation that she would be asked back and it seemed like she was happy that the door was open because she really liked working on the soap and had made friends there. It was unclear whether or not she would be back. I suppose the writing of her character may have changed a bit to allow the possibilty of her return sometime down the road.

As far as the backstage gossip about the Nicole character - no gossip there really it has been known for a long time that Nicole was going to be involved in a number of stories and that she was not going to be paired with any one character specifically. That was the plan and it seems to be playing out that way.

I read awhile back that both Bryan and Nadia knew that their characters were going to be paired with another character infact they had a wish list .... Bryan listed Nadia on his pairing wish list, Nadia however did not list Bryan on hers.

The reason I think these rumors if true are dated is because I would think if they were more current they would include more about why Joe M is returning and the reason for that decison and they would also include more backstage talk about Ali's pregnancy.

OK, in my defense.....this question was brought up at another board, and the person answering it apparently knows someone working in the studio. Frankly, this person has been right before on things, but whatever. It certainly isn't the first person that I know of who frequents the studio who has hinted about this kind of stuff.

And the speculation about Ali could simply be that SHE hasn't made any decisions and they want to see how she can handle two jobs before either allowing her to do both or forcing her hand to make a decision for her health.

And, by the way, the question about backstage gossip was directed more to the EJ, et al thing and Java. Joe was never brought up, so the person didn't answer that.

But then again, they're not very EJami friendly, are they? ;) I can understand your hesitancy in wanting to believe them.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Jul 13 2008, 09:44 AM.

Ponz
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jul 13 2008, 09:39 AM
Ponz
Why?
*The reference to Java as a "hit" despite the tanking households and demos since they were moved front and centre. TB has been well received and has decent chemistry with Drake but to call them a "hit" is- at the very least- an exaggeration
*The implication that Deidre has the power to "put a stop" to a story she doesn't like.
*The dig at Deidre as the "odd, older woman"

cjknick
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jul 13 2008, 09:42 AM
cjknick
Jul 13 2008, 09:00 AM

OK, in my defense.....this question was brought up at another board, and the person answering it apparently knows someone working in the studio. Frankly, this person has been right before on things, but whatever. It certainly isn't the first person that I know of who frequents the studio who has hinted about this kind of stuff.

And the speculation about Ali could simply be that SHE hasn't made any decisions and they want to see how she can handle two jobs before either allowing her to do both or forcing her hand to make a decision for her health.

And, by the way, the question about backstage gossip was directed more to the EJ, et al thing and Java. Joe was never brought up, so the person didn't answer that.

But then again, they're not very EJami friendly, are they? ;) I can understand your hesitancy in wanting to believe them.
It's not a matter of being believable I think they are creditable just old news....old drama! I was hoping to see more whispers about Ali's pregnancy and about Joe's return that's all.

peaches179

Ponz

Yeah, same shit, different day. But it's nice to know Deidre seems too always get a buzz.

peaches179

Jonatha
Jul 13 2008, 07:50 AM
Ponz
I agree, Ponz. Dee gets some kind of bad rap everytime something goes down with John and another female character. Does anyone really believe she has any say in what happens on Days? Does everyone remember the interview she gave SOD about the much anticipated love scene between Marlena and Jawn, that never happened? Sounds like a lot of bull shit to me at least where she is concerned.

ICAM!

jules

Ponz
Jul 13 2008, 10:06 AM
ladyofthelake
Ponz
Why?
*The reference to Java as a "hit" despite the tanking households and demos since they were moved front and centre. TB has been well received and has decent chemistry with Drake but to call them a "hit" is- at the very least- an exaggeration
*The implication that Deidre has the power to "put a stop" to a story she doesn't like.
Thank you! I don't know how anyone can make a case for Java being a hit. The ratings speak volumes.
The last couple of weeks before they had any scenes together HH were 2.0-2.1 with demos steady at 1.4.
They started having scenes the week of 6/2 and HH were 1.8, demos 1.2. Fast forward to a month later and they are even worse. HH 1.7-1.9 and demos 1.1-1.2.
And I know that the rest of the show figures into to the downslide, but I still don't know where Java being a hit gets any creedance at all.

Ellie

LOL, wasn't I reading on this very board the other day that some of you (including some posting here) said Deidre's not the type to speak up if she doesn't like something, and that she should try to speak up and voice her opinions more? And now this. Peaches, as you said, it's a compliment to her in a way that she does always get buzz, though apparently people just make up different theories about her in order to make that happen.

Ponz, great posts. Completely agree - sounds like someone with an agenda. And the TelevisionWithoutPity board (where "LadyoftheLake" got this) is hardly a Deidre/J&M-friendly zone. I've stopped reading it regularly, because I can't remember any pro-Deidre/J&M posts in at least the past year. That is not an exaggeration. Hardly the place for impartial 'backstage info', if there exists such a thing in the first place.

peaches179

Ellie
Jul 13 2008, 11:09 AM
LOL, wasn't I reading on this very board the other day that some of you (including some posting here) said Deidre's not the type to speak up if she doesn't like something, and that she should try to speak up and voice her opinions more? And now this. Peaches, as you said, it's a compliment to her in a way that she does always get buzz, though apparently people just make up different theories about her in order to make that happen.

Ponz, great posts. Completely agree - sounds like someone with an agenda. And the TelevisionWithoutPity board (where "LadyoftheLake" got this) is hardly a Deidre/J&M-friendly zone. I've stopped reading it regularly, because I can't remember any pro-Deidre/J&M posts in at least the past year. That is not an exaggeration. Hardly the place for impartial 'backstage info', if there exists such a thing in the first place.

:rockon:

peaches179

jules
Jul 13 2008, 10:59 AM
Ponz
Jul 13 2008, 10:06 AM
ladyofthelake
Ponz
Why?
Thank you! I don't know how anyone can make a case for Java being a hit. The ratings speak volumes.
The last couple of weeks before they had any scenes together HH were 2.0-2.1 with demos steady at 1.4.
They started having scenes the week of 6/2 and HH were 1.8, demos 1.2. Fast forward to a month later and they are even worse. HH 1.7-1.9 and demos 1.1-1.2.
And I know that the rest of the show figures into to the downslide, but I still don't know where Java being a hit gets any creedance at all.

I don't mean to be disrepectful, but who cares! The writing for the WHOLE show is bad! If John/Ava is a hit or not the writing for the ALL THE CHARACTERS SUCK! What we need is someone who will write some good stories for the show/characters. Give us something that we ALL can enjoy!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply