Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days Backstage Drama Gossip; Well...........hmmmmm
Topic Started: Jul 13 2008, 06:46 AM (9,230 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ponz
Jul 13 2008, 10:06 AM
ladyofthelake
Jul 13 2008, 09:39 AM
Ponz
Jul 13 2008, 07:45 AM
Sounds like someone with an anti-Deidre agenda and too much time on their hands.
Why?
*The reference to Java as a "hit" despite the tanking households and demos since they were moved front and centre. TB has been well received and has decent chemistry with Drake but to call them a "hit" is- at the very least- an exaggeration
*The implication that Deidre has the power to "put a stop" to a story she doesn't like.
*The dig at Deidre as the "odd, older woman"
So, again, the blame for the ratings goes on ONE couple? I'm sorry. I can't buy your reasoning. Certainly, the personality of the Great Ms. Hall falls somewhere in the middle, but based on what I've heard in the past (and from people who have been involved, from people who know those working in the studio, and from people who have attended fan events), I'm not surprised at all.
WHY, despite decent arguments to the contrary by folks who look at ALL the aspects of ratings, does this old argument of blaming one couple keep going? ARRGHH

OK, I'm going to calm down. You can take it as you want. Personally, I can see this happening. All of it. Do I believe it? I don't know until i hear it from elsewhere. But it's certainly not a Terry rumor.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FanODays

No offense Lady but anybody could have sat down and in 5 minutes have written this stuff up and then if any of it even remotely seems to be true claim they were right and then if its wrong, claim the story was changed because of the outrage over the gossip. Seen it happen thousands of times before. Take the one about TB, if TB comes back, the person was right that she was wanted and if she doesn't then the person was right that DH had it stopped.

As for Sheffer and the vets he made it pretty clear that it was not his decision not to write for them.

Days can pair whoever they want together the stories and overall quality still sucks.

peaches179

FanODays
Jul 13 2008, 12:30 PM
Days can pair whoever they want together the stories and overall quality still sucks.

Thank you! ICAM!

Drakelicious

ladyofthelake
Jul 13 2008, 12:29 PM
Ponz
ladyofthelake
Ponz
Sounds like someone with an anti-Deidre agenda and too much time on their hands.
Why?
*The reference to Java as a "hit" despite the tanking households and demos since they were moved front and centre. TB has been well received and has decent chemistry with Drake but to call them a "hit" is- at the very least- an exaggeration
*The implication that Deidre has the power to "put a stop" to a story she doesn't like.
So, again, the blame for the ratings goes on ONE couple? I'm sorry. I can't buy your reasoning. Certainly, the personality of the Great Ms. Hall falls somewhere in the middle, but based on what I've heard in the past (and from people who have been involved, from people who know those working in the studio, and from people who have attended fan events), I'm not surprised at all.
WHY, despite decent arguments to the contrary by folks who look at ALL the aspects of ratings, does this old argument of blaming one couple keep going? ARRGHH

OK, I'm going to calm down. You can take it as you want. Personally, I can see this happening. All of it. Do I believe it? I don't know until i hear it from elsewhere. But it's certainly not a Terry rumor.
Great post ladyofthelake. IF Java was the ONLY couple that was in the works, I'd blame the drop in ratings on them, but they're NOT, several different pairings started at the same time Java started as well as storylines in many cases took a turn that has left some fans unhappy.

I hope that the show CAN get Tamara back and hope that she is paired with Drake again. I haven't been THIS excited about one of Drake's pairing since Jate ended. John and Marlena as a couple do nothing for me, I just don't like them PERIOD!

Once John and Marlena get back together, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be keeping a VERY close eye on the ratings so anybody blaming Java for the show's poor ratings, had better hope that the days that John and Marlena are together have ratings that go through the roof, or else saying Java crashed the ratings makes as much sense as saying Jate crashed the ratings. There ARE other storylines going on.

Edited by Drakelicious, Jul 13 2008, 12:50 PM.

Ponz
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Ponz
ladyofthelake
Ponz
Why?

LOL, I had a feeling my point would be straw-manned as such. I'm NOT attributing sole or even significant blame to Java for the ratings. However, there's a big difference between asserting that a couple is "not to blame" for a dramatic ratings slide and claiming that they are a "hit" in the midst of that slide. DAYS lost 300,000 viewers in the month of June alone. It plummeted to new lows in each of the major demos. In that context, it's pretty laughable referring to anything on the show as a "hit".

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jul 13 2008, 11:09 AM
LOL, wasn't I reading on this very board the other day that some of you (including some posting here) said Deidre's not the type to speak up if she doesn't like something, and that she should try to speak up and voice her opinions more? And now this. Peaches, as you said, it's a compliment to her in a way that she does always get buzz, though apparently people just make up different theories about her in order to make that happen.

Ponz, great posts. Completely agree - sounds like someone with an agenda. And the TelevisionWithoutPity board (where "LadyoftheLake" got this) is hardly a Deidre/J&M-friendly zone. I've stopped reading it regularly, because I can't remember any pro-Deidre/J&M posts in at least the past year. That is not an exaggeration. Hardly the place for impartial 'backstage info', if there exists such a thing in the first place.
:hail: :hail:

hops
Member Avatar

Ponz
Jul 13 2008, 01:04 PM

LOL, I had a feeling my point would be straw-manned as such. I'm NOT attributing sole or even significant blame to Java for the ratings. However, there's a big difference between asserting that a couple is "not to blame" for a dramatic ratings slide and claiming that they are a "hit" in the midst of that slide. DAYS lost 300,000 viewers in the month of June alone. It plummeted to new lows in each of the major demos. In that context, it's pretty laughable referring to anything on the show as a "hit".

Exactly!! It's the writing and the choices the writers make in portraying the characters. Judging by the ratings, fans are not too impressed with either.
Edited by hops, Jul 13 2008, 01:18 PM.

jules

Drakelicious
Jul 13 2008, 12:49 PM
ladyofthelake
Ponz
ladyofthelake
Ponz
Why?

Great post ladyofthelake. IF Java was the ONLY couple that was in the works, I'd blame the drop in ratings on them, but they're NOT, several different pairings started at the same time Java started as well as storylines in many cases took a turn that has left some fans unhappy.

I hope that the show CAN get Tamara back and hope that she is paired with Drake again. I haven't been THIS excited about one of Drake's pairing since Jate ended. John and Marlena as a couple do nothing for me, I just don't like them PERIOD!

Once John and Marlena get back together, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be keeping a VERY close eye on the ratings so anybody blaming Java for the show's poor ratings, had better hope that the days that John and Marlena are together have ratings that go through the roof, or else saying Java crashed the ratings makes as much sense as saying Jate crashed the ratings. There ARE other storylines going on.

You can spin it any way you like. The facts are that Java has been big part of the show when they've lost .3 in demos and .3-.4 in HH. And the point of my original post was that according to the "rumors" TPTB said Java was a hit. On what basis? When/if J&M get back together, who knows...the damage has been done. And Lucas/Chloe, Chan and the other mismatched couples are also to blame.

jules

Ponz
Jul 13 2008, 01:04 PM
ladyofthelake
Ponz
ladyofthelake
Ponz
Why?

Exactly@

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Days doesn't have any "hits" right now. I love EJ and Nicole together, but they can't be declared a hit either. Neither can Phil/Morgan, Lucas/Chloe or John/Ava. The ratings are going down, and when you consider who's been on the most and the focus, that has to be considered. It's not THE sole reason, but it's a part of it. Esp since there hasen't been any good buzz about it.

ladyofthelake
Jul 13 2008, 06:46 AM
OK, I got this off of another board that has a "Backstage Drama" thread. (Don't know if I'm allowed to mention the board, but Tripp and Paxton know about it.) Here's the scoop, paraphrased (and the poster put on that she is NOT the direct source):

There have been backstage politics & squabbles, network demands, and Dena Higley was given a come-to-Jesus. TPTB demanded rewrites and restructuring, the reason for the quick and nonstop couple shuffling. And there will be more. Nicole gets lots of story coming up, but it's still up in the air as to whether EJ will be her guy. They still have not determined a long-term partner for her. Actually, the entire Nicole/E.J./Sami/Lucas/Chloe/Phillip/Morgan mess is still not set in stone, although DH is strongly wanting to write for Lucas/Chloe and Phillip/Morgan this summer. The problem there is that "Lumi" and "Phloe" fans are still strongly supporting those couples, and so the networks don't want to throw in those towels just yet. Also, Tamara Braun was a hit as Ava and it was not just the audience who loved her work with Drake Hogestyn. "Java" was a hit with higher-ups as well, and attempts will be made to get TB back, if they haven't been already come to an agreement. However, even if TB does come back, Deidre Hall can put a stop to "Java", and TB will be chem-tested again elsewhere. Just as with the John/Isabella pairing, DeHa is NOT happy being the odd, older woman out in a triangle, and she may get her way. The show is still in trouble.
She didn't hear anything about EJami. She's not sure if it's completely shelved, but it certainly isn't high priority.
One of us can post more as we hear about it.
So, well, I guess I'll find my happiness with Days when I can. Sounds like it won't last long. Maybe I'll bombard the NBC board! :huh:

"If I had all the power people say I have, wouldn't I have a storyline right now?" - Deidre Hall

Deidre has always seemed to me to be of the belif that her job is not to write, it is not to meddle, it's to take what's written on the page and make it come alive even when it's crap. She's an actress, not a writer.

And I have yet to read a bad comment about DH from anyone with a face and that doesn't come from a "source of a source" or an "insider". I have no doubt Deidre can speak her mind if she's provoked, she's said as much, but she's first and foremost a pro. You don't survive in the business she's in without being a professional.

Quote:

LOL, wasn't I reading on this very board the other day that some of you (including some posting here) said Deidre's not the type to speak up if she doesn't like something, and that she should try to speak up and voice her opinions more? And now this. Peaches, as you said, it's a compliment to her in a way that she does always get buzz, though apparently people just make up different theories about her in order to make that happen.

Ponz, great posts. Completely agree - sounds like someone with an agenda. And the TelevisionWithoutPity board (where "LadyoftheLake" got this) is hardly a Deidre/J&M-friendly zone. I've stopped reading it regularly, because I can't remember any pro-Deidre/J&M posts in at least the past year. That is not an exaggeration. Hardly the place for impartial 'backstage info', if there exists such a thing in the first place.

TWOP isen't pro-anything. All they do is rant.
Edited by The Room Stops, Jul 13 2008, 01:49 PM.

King
Member Avatar

You can mention any site here.

This is a non-censorship board. ;)

King
Member Avatar

As for the drama, blah.

We all knew they weren't letting Dena write. But a part of me wonders if they did let her write, whether it would be even worse or better than it is.

Corday, Corday, Corday, when will you learn!

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

King, I think we both know what the answer to that question is.

(Yes)

squee
Member Avatar

Ponz
Jul 13 2008, 07:51 AM
If Dena wanted to write for Lucas/Chloe, their scenes wouldn't be so half-assed.
Then how do you explain the shitastic autism "storyline"? :laugh:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

First off, Lady of the Lake was simply bringing this stuff over here for us to read and comment. She didn't say that this was all likely true or true at all. I get info like this all the time but alot of it either doesn't pan out (especially given how many times Days changes gears) or is stuff that really doesn't have enough credence behind it to report. Alot of the time the info comes off just like this...as if someone does have an agenda. All these are reasons why I never post what I do get.

Having said all that, with the exception of the Dee Hall part I've heard all this and do believe it. It definitely explains the lack of direction in May and June and it also fits in with spoilers which now have Lucas going back to jail (thereby stalling Lucas/Chloe). I do think this is info more or less that started leaking out in June. I don't think it pertains necessarily to the situation right now because I do think things have straightened out since Rick Draughon started. The stories have a direction now, at least I think they do.

Now, with the exception of demos, Days isn't that bad off ratings-wise. Yes, they lost viewers but ALL the soaps did in June. Days was around a 2.0-2.1 since February and they were at a 1.9 before the Wimbledon week so it's not like they've crashed in HH. The other soaps went down with them so I tend to think it's not all on the show. Yes, the show and it's faults are a big part of it but I also think all the preemptions in June and summer beginning hurt Days and soaps, in general. I also think the lack of excitement hurt too. This month already has been more exciting. It no longer seems like things are stuck in park anymore. Things are happening on a daily basis, which is a good sign IMO.

As for Dee, I was one who said she never seems to speak up forcefully for things she should. I've heard that for years now. However, there were rumors that she did speak up upon her return in 1991. I may be wrong but the rumor was that she pushed for Wayne to return soon after her as Roman and then, shortly after, she saw how popular John/Isabella was and made a push to put John back in Marlena's orbit. Again, this is something I've heard for years. I don't know if it's true, which is why I won't really comment on it since it's not clear if it is true. I love Dee and have no agenda against her at all. I liked all couples and characters involved back then. I have heard numerous times that she isn't forceful when it comes to story but all those whisperings have been in the past few years.

I'm glad Lady of the Lake started a thread like this because many people do get inside info and it's fun to comment, speculate, and what have you. Not everyone can always post it and some don't feel comfortable doing it because they don't want to look bad if it doesn't come to pass or whatever but I do think this kind of stuff is fun, especially with Days because this shit happens all the time.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

squee
Jul 13 2008, 02:12 PM
Ponz
Jul 13 2008, 07:51 AM
If Dena wanted to write for Lucas/Chloe, their scenes wouldn't be so half-assed.
Then how do you explain the shitastic autism "storyline"? :laugh:
I still don't think that is on her. I think NBC and Corday pushed into doing it. I get thatsense because she seemed very uncomfortable with it. On the Today show, she didn't seem like she wanted to talk much about her son when it was brought up and, in her blog, she commented on how close and personal it was and then seemed to be trying to justify the whole thing to herself by saying it would help her son come out of his shell a bit more. I really do think she was pushed into it and that may be why we didn't get a good start to the story. Maybe it was too much for her to handle and it brought her back to a difficult time. If that is the case, she should've told her team and had them handle it but I digress.

leelee
Member Avatar

This came from TWOP boards....yeah...figures......I don't believe a damn thing that comes from that board. IMHO most of it is just bullshit that people make up...so I highly doubt this has any truth to it......Java a hit? LMAO

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I'm glad ladyofthelake brought this over to. I saw where the info was originally posted and it's a place to gossip and gab so you always have to take this with a grain of salt. The funny thing is...the EJ/Nicole/Sami/Lucas/Chloe stuff feels right because it's a) not surprising the show is too fearful to let go of either Lumi or EJami and b) It's easy to see recent events with the couples have been short term planning.

As for DHer, well, it's easy for me to believe it. Personally the fact the show sponsored a picture of her to hang over the fireplace that Dee picked out herself tells me far enough about her w/o knowing anything other rumors/facts. But just because I can easily believe the worse of DHer does not make it true and I do have to admit if she had as much power as this person claimed, she wouldn't have been backburnered last year.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I think Dee has enough power to complain. She just doesn't, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I, personally, hate those that complain about every little thing they get as an actor but, if she feels her character is being wronged (and let's face it her character was crap under JER his second run and now under Higley) she needs to say something. SN and MBE were very open in the media and behind the scenes about the way the Ava thing was handled and they got results. I know it's too late after the fact but they at least got something.

As for Java, we don't know what the studio is basing that on if that part of this info is true. Maybe alot of Tamara Braun fans sent feedback or maybe alot of Drake fans like the pairing. Then you also have many general fans that like them too. We don't know what the deal is. They may think it's a hit based on the feedback they have so far. We don't know what they are measuring or going by. I expect J&M fans to not deem them a hit and it's those fans that seem to be the only ones in this thread saying that.

I think it's right to say nothing on Days right now is a definitive hit. EJ/Nicole come close but that's it. Philip/Morgan hasn't gotten going enough yet to make an accurate judgment but they have the potential. John/Ava will likely fade before it can be determined they are a hit since Tamara is leaving. I do think the character of Ava was a hit. I think even those that hated the character (Steve/Kayla fans, J&M fans) at least appreciated the actress and wanted better for her and I noticed alot of those that disliked her seemed to like her when interacting with Nicole so I do think the character was well-received.

jules

PhoenixRising05
Jul 13 2008, 02:38 PM
I think Dee has enough power to complain. She just doesn't, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I, personally, hate those that complain about every little thing they get as an actor but, if she feels her character is being wronged (and let's face it her character was crap under JER his second run and now under Higley) she needs to say something. SN and MBE were very open in the media and behind the scenes about the way the Ava thing was handled and they got results. I know it's too late after the fact but they at least got something.

As for Java, we don't know what the studio is basing that on if that part of this info is true. Maybe alot of Tamara Braun fans sent feedback or maybe alot of Drake fans like the pairing. Then you also have many general fans that like them too. We don't know what the deal is. They may think it's a hit based on the feedback they have so far. We don't know what they are measuring or going by. I expect J&M fans to not deem them a hit and it's those fans that seem to be the only ones in this thread saying that.

I think it's right to say nothing on Days right now is a definitive hit. EJ/Nicole come close but that's it. Philip/Morgan hasn't gotten going enough yet to make an accurate judgment but they have the potential. John/Ava will likely fade before it can be determined they are a hit since Tamara is leaving. I do think the character of Ava was a hit. I think even those that hated the character (Steve/Kayla fans, J&M fans) at least appreciated the actress and wanted better for her and I noticed alot of those that disliked her seemed to like her when interacting with Nicole so I do think the character was well-received.
Seems like J&M fans opinions get no creedance on this board and/or are dismissed. There were several other posters who are not J&M fans who agreed with my post concerning the ratings and the beginning of Java. You state that "many general fans like them". That is your opinion, but haven't seen that on many other boards (NBC, SNS, SoapCity). There were some who liked their friendship at the beginning, but thayt's it. I will agree that the Drakers would rather see John paired with a blow up doll before Marlena!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply