Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days Backstage Drama Gossip; Well...........hmmmmm
Topic Started: Jul 13 2008, 06:46 AM (9,322 Views)
IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

There is such a thing as Drakers? I learn something new every day.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Tripp
Jul 13 2008, 02:31 PM
As for DHer, well, it's easy for me to believe it. Personally the fact the show sponsored a picture of her to hang over the fireplace that Dee picked out herself tells me far enough about her w/o knowing anything other rumors/facts.
Huh? The fact that the picture was on the wall was a writing decision. Let's say it was Rachel Melvin, and Dr. Dan puts a 30x40 pic of Chelsea on his wall. You're the set designer, you read the script and you see that. You think to yourself, ok, which picture do I use? Now first of all, the person with the best knowledge of what pictures are available is usually the actor or actress himself. So if it were me, I'd call Rachel Melvin (in my example) and ask her which pictures she's taken that might be appropriate. But also, as a courtesy, I'd pull her aside and say to her, "Hey, we're putting a 30x40 of you on the wall for a month. I have a few ideas, but do you have a preference?" I cannot see how any of this would reflect negatively on the actor/actress at all.

jules

IMissAremid
Jul 13 2008, 02:53 PM
Yes, you do! ;)

Ellie

Tripp
I'm glad ladyofthelake brought this over to.
To those of you who have said this - I personally don't like gossip threads at all, but that aside, if people "bring over" info like this on actors they like and actors they dislike, that's one thing. Sort of a "here's today's backstage info roundup from the different boards." But if people selectively bring over information on actors they dislike, that doesn't seem to me to be the same thing.

peaches179

IMissAremid
Jul 13 2008, 02:53 PM

LOL! Me too, IMA. The boards seems to be more intertaining than the show right now.

King
Member Avatar

I think the only story that is truly Dena's honestly is the Autism story, which I like. Go fig.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jules
Jul 13 2008, 02:46 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 13 2008, 02:38 PM
I think Dee has enough power to complain. She just doesn't, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I, personally, hate those that complain about every little thing they get as an actor but, if she feels her character is being wronged (and let's face it her character was crap under JER his second run and now under Higley) she needs to say something. SN and MBE were very open in the media and behind the scenes about the way the Ava thing was handled and they got results. I know it's too late after the fact but they at least got something.

As for Java, we don't know what the studio is basing that on if that part of this info is true. Maybe alot of Tamara Braun fans sent feedback or maybe alot of Drake fans like the pairing. Then you also have many general fans that like them too. We don't know what the deal is. They may think it's a hit based on the feedback they have so far. We don't know what they are measuring or going by. I expect J&M fans to not deem them a hit and it's those fans that seem to be the only ones in this thread saying that.

I think it's right to say nothing on Days right now is a definitive hit. EJ/Nicole come close but that's it. Philip/Morgan hasn't gotten going enough yet to make an accurate judgment but they have the potential. John/Ava will likely fade before it can be determined they are a hit since Tamara is leaving. I do think the character of Ava was a hit. I think even those that hated the character (Steve/Kayla fans, J&M fans) at least appreciated the actress and wanted better for her and I noticed alot of those that disliked her seemed to like her when interacting with Nicole so I do think the character was well-received.
Seems like J&M fans opinions get no creedance on this board and/or are dismissed. There were several other posters who are not J&M fans who agreed with my post concerning the ratings and the beginning of Java. You state that "many general fans like them". That is your opinion, but haven't seen that on many other boards (NBC, SNS, SoapCity). There were some who liked their friendship at the beginning, but thayt's it. I will agree that the Drakers would rather see John paired with a blow up doll before Marlena!
Ok...maybe it seems that way but I can assure you it is not the case.

J&M fans and their opinions are just as important as anyone else's. Those that know me around here know that I often times complain about fickle fanbases and what have you and, yes, I do mention J&M and their fanbase alot. However, that is in general terms. I'm not stupid enough to think every J&M fan is a rabid, obsessed nutcase. We have many J&M fans on this board who I do disagree with at times but are rational, kind, thoughtful posters.

I disagree about John and Ava. Your not looking well enough because there are many out there that do like them, many of which are on this board and other boards like SON and a few others. It is not just my opinion because, if it was, I would speak more from a personal sense. There is enough evidence out there to suggest that they have their share of fans. Hell, Drake even seems happy with it according to the mags. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to like them or to think they are just great love story. All I am saying is that they have their fans and it seems like SOME J&M fans don't want to acknowledge that. That is my point.

peaches179

Ellie
Jul 13 2008, 02:57 PM
Tripp
As for DHer, well, it's easy for me to believe it. Personally the fact the show sponsored a picture of her to hang over the fireplace that Dee picked out herself tells me far enough about her w/o knowing anything other rumors/facts.
Huh? The fact that the picture was on the wall was a writing decision. Let's say it was Rachel Melvin, and Dr. Dan puts a 30x40 pic of Chelsea on his wall. You're the set designer, you read the script and you see that. You think to yourself, ok, which picture do I use? Now first of all, the person with the best knowledge of what pictures are available is usually the actor or actress himself. So if it were me, I'd call Rachel Melvin (in my example) and ask her which pictures she's taken that might be appropriate. But also, as a courtesy, I'd pull her aside and say to her, "Hey, we're putting a 30x40 of you on the wall for a month. I have a few ideas, but do you have a preference?" I cannot see how any of this would reflect negatively on the actor/actress at all.

LOL! Nothing else to add too that.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Jul 13 2008, 03:04 PM
I think the only story that is truly Dena's honestly is the Autism story, which I like. Go fig.
Really?

I still feel like she is uncomfortable with it and would rather not be writing it, hence why it doesn't get alot of focus and why it got off to a rocky start. I mean, if she loved it so much and was so on board with it, why wouldn't she give it more attention? It just reeks of it being forced on her.

I think EJ/Nicole is all hers (I still think she wants Lumi in the end) and so is the J&M stuff and dock wars stuff. The rest I think is all Corday and his influence.

King
Member Avatar

Mmmm, I love your sig, Tim!

Nice quote, Jane. Wherever you are! :laugh:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Jul 13 2008, 03:08 PM
Mmmm, I love your sig, Tim!

Nice quote, Jane. Wherever you are! :laugh:

It was mentioned in this week's Days promo thread, King.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jul 13 2008, 03:03 PM
Tripp
I'm glad ladyofthelake brought this over to.
To those of you who have said this - I personally don't like gossip threads at all, but that aside, if people "bring over" info like this on actors they like and actors they dislike, that's one thing. Sort of a "here's today's backstage info roundup from the different boards." But if people selectively bring over information on actors they dislike, that doesn't seem to me to be the same thing.
Ellie, I don't think anyone is selectively bringing over information from TWOP to make Deidre look bad. I think the poster probably just saw this and thought to share it with DR and I personally appreciate it as I love reading, analyzing and deciding whether or not I believe gossip and I don't usually go to any boards that have it on soaps besides DR.

But I do agree with you that it doesn't really make sense to blame Deidre herself for stuff like that glamour shot of Marlena winding up on the DiMera Mansion wall. To me that seems like holding an actor responsible for something to do with the character.

I personally go back and forth on whether or not I like the character of Marlena or not but I don't really know of anything to make me dislike Deidre and even if this rumor is true that she is being some sort of a backstage diva about storylines because she doesn't want Marlena on the outside of the Java pairing that doesn't make me dislike her. She's just fighting for her character and as far as I'm concerned that's her right.

To me, she always seems like a trooper in promoting the show and not badmouthing it even when things get bad. If she is a diva backstage, she's earned it as far as I'm concerned because in my view there is no Days of our Lives without Marlena (same for AMC without Erica or OLTL without Viki) no matter how I feel about her at any given time.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^That to me is her problem. I don't mind her promoting the show and "cheerleading" but if your promoting something that is ruining your character, I can't get behind that. She's been around for 30 years. She knows her character and she should've said something when JER was there and she should say something now because her character was a mess then and is a mess again now. She has the right, just like the other vets who occasionally speak out about the way things are going because they feel their character is being done a disservice. I like Dee but you have to know when to use your stature and a situation like this calls for it, especially when she knows her character more then anyone.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 13 2008, 03:18 PM
^That to me is her problem. I don't mind her promoting the show and "cheerleading" but if your promoting something that is ruining your character, I can't get behind that. She's been around for 30 years. She knows her character and she should've said something when JER was there and she should say something now because her character was a mess then and is a mess again now. She has the right, just like the other vets who occasionally speak out about the way things are going because they feel their character is being done a disservice. I like Dee but you have to know when to use your stature and a situation like this calls for it, especially when she knows her character more then anyone.
Wait a second. How is she cheerleading something that is ruining her character just by not badmouthing the show? Should she trash the show so it has more of a chance of getting cancelled so her character can DIE with integrity rather than live on imperfectly constructed by the current writing regime? I just don't get it.

Maybe Deidre doesn't speak up more because she has seen the way that people like Thaao and Drake have been raked through the coals by some people when they complain about their characters that she doesn't want to have to deal with that. Or maybe she doesn't bitch to the press precisely because she doesn't want to get a diva reputation.

Deidre is an actor and while she has a lot of clout being on Days as long as she has, it's still not her job to see that Marlena is written properly. That's the job of the WRITER.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
I think even those that hated the character (Steve/Kayla fans, J&M fans) at least appreciated the actress and wanted better for her and I noticed alot of those that disliked her seemed to like her when interacting with Nicole so I do think the character was well-received.
I didn't enjoy either. But I didn't enjoy Tamara as Carly either (hated Carly 2.0), and I don't buy her friendship with Nicole. She's probably a lovely woman, but I haven't enjoyed having either character shoved down my throat.

Deidre has never badmouthed the show. EVER. Not even in 1987. Not even when it was crap. She always keeps a smile on, promotes the show, stands up for it and does her job. She doesn't complain in public and if she goes to Corday to speak her mind that is something entirely different. There's a difference between taking it to the media and taking it to your bosses one on one. I mean, it's a job for her the same way ours is to us. We have differences, we have complaints sometimes. But she could take it to the media and probably create a ruckus, but she hasen't. That's how she chooses to do it, and that's how she's always done it.

Quote:

As for Dee, I was one who said she never seems to speak up forcefully for things she should. I've heard that for years now. However, there were rumors that she did speak up upon her return in 1991. I may be wrong but the rumor was that she pushed for Wayne to return soon after her as Roman and then, shortly after, she saw how popular John/Isabella was and made a push to put John back in Marlena's orbit. Again, this is something I've heard for years. I don't know if it's true, which is why I won't really comment on it since it's not clear if it is true. I love Dee and have no agenda against her at all. I liked all couples and characters involved back then. I have heard numerous times that she isn't forceful when it comes to story but all those whisperings have been in the past few years.

Well, then someone either twisted the truth or didn't know for sure either. Because unless Deidre, Drake, Wayne and Corday all lied on TV and in interviews when ased, that's not how it was. They were all toying with ideas about what happened to Marlena while she was gone for 5 years, and Deidre had the idea that maybe Marlena found the real Roman somehow. DAYS took it from there, and asked Wayne if he'd be interested in a return (Deidre was only signed for 6 months at this time) but they asked Drake who he wanted to be, Roman or your amnesiac John Black. He eventually said JB would be interesting, and he wanted Wayne to be on board again.

And John/Isabella weren't popular according to DDH. In fact, he was thrilled when both Deidre and Wayne came back because he'd been without a story for sometime, and the audience wasen't taking to the couple. Finally getting to bring Marlena back (Days had asked Deidre for several years to come back) mixed things up and eventually it became a quadrangle.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jul 13 2008, 03:24 PM
Wait a second. How is she cheerleading something that is ruining her character just by not badmouthing the show? Should she trash the show so it has more of a chance of getting cancelled so her character can DIE with integrity rather than live on imperfectly constructed by the current writing regime? I just don't get it.

Maybe Deidre doesn't speak up more because she has seen the way that people like Thaao and Drake have been raked through the coals by some people when they complain about their characters that she doesn't want to have to deal with that. Or maybe she doesn't bitch to the press precisely because she doesn't want to get a diva reputation.

Deidre is an actor and while she has a lot of clout being on Days as long as she has, it's still not her job to see that Marlena is written properly. That's the job of the WRITER.
That is the perfect way to say it. A few are already badmouthing her and calling her a diva, for no reason that's canon knowledge either. For rumors and speculations that aren't made true simply by people who don't like her saying they are.

There was an article a year ago or so that spoke about this. Deidre is for this show, and anything that keeps it on the air. If that means she's put on hold for a while... She loves the show, it's her second family life, and she'll support it always.

Not badmouthing the show doesn't mean she likes everything that happens. It just means she does't complain to the media everything something shitty happens. She's an actress, not a writer.

jules

PhoenixRising05
Jul 13 2008, 03:06 PM
jules
Jul 13 2008, 02:46 PM
PhoenixRising05
I think Dee has enough power to complain. She just doesn't, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I, personally, hate those that complain about every little thing they get as an actor but, if she feels her character is being wronged (and let's face it her character was crap under JER his second run and now under Higley) she needs to say something. SN and MBE were very open in the media and behind the scenes about the way the Ava thing was handled and they got results. I know it's too late after the fact but they at least got something.

As for Java, we don't know what the studio is basing that on if that part of this info is true. Maybe alot of Tamara Braun fans sent feedback or maybe alot of Drake fans like the pairing. Then you also have many general fans that like them too. We don't know what the deal is. They may think it's a hit based on the feedback they have so far. We don't know what they are measuring or going by. I expect J&M fans to not deem them a hit and it's those fans that seem to be the only ones in this thread saying that.

I think it's right to say nothing on Days right now is a definitive hit. EJ/Nicole come close but that's it. Philip/Morgan hasn't gotten going enough yet to make an accurate judgment but they have the potential. John/Ava will likely fade before it can be determined they are a hit since Tamara is leaving. I do think the character of Ava was a hit. I think even those that hated the character (Steve/Kayla fans, J&M fans) at least appreciated the actress and wanted better for her and I noticed alot of those that disliked her seemed to like her when interacting with Nicole so I do think the character was well-received.
Seems like J&M fans opinions get no creedance on this board and/or are dismissed. There were several other posters who are not J&M fans who agreed with my post concerning the ratings and the beginning of Java. You state that "many general fans like them". That is your opinion, but haven't seen that on many other boards (NBC, SNS, SoapCity). There were some who liked their friendship at the beginning, but thayt's it. I will agree that the Drakers would rather see John paired with a blow up doll before Marlena!
Ok...maybe it seems that way but I can assure you it is not the case.

J&M fans and their opinions are just as important as anyone else's. Those that know me around here know that I often times complain about fickle fanbases and what have you and, yes, I do mention J&M and their fanbase alot. However, that is in general terms. I'm not stupid enough to think every J&M fan is a rabid, obsessed nutcase. We have many J&M fans on this board who I do disagree with at times but are rational, kind, thoughtful posters.

I disagree about John and Ava. Your not looking well enough because there are many out there that do like them, many of which are on this board and other boards like SON and a few others. It is not just my opinion because, if it was, I would speak more from a personal sense. There is enough evidence out there to suggest that they have their share of fans. Hell, Drake even seems happy with it according to the mags. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to like them or to think they are just great love story. All I am saying is that they have their fans and it seems like SOME J&M fans don't want to acknowledge that. That is my point.
Well, I will have to respectfully disagree with your opinion. I read all those boards and I don't really need to be told to look harder. I don't recall saying they didn't have any fans. And what does Drake liking working with TB have to do with whether or not they are popular. Having fans and being popular are two different things. And many posters on this board don't want to acknowledge that since they starting sharing scenes (the first week in fact) the ratings have nose dive.

jules

IMissAremid
PhoenixRising05

ITA with this post.
Edited by jules, Jul 13 2008, 03:35 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Ellie
Jul 13 2008, 02:57 PM
Tripp

But the picture wasn't Rachel Melvin and and using her is a bad example, as talented as she is, she's not at veteran status. But onto the veterans, I just can't see them throwing PR, KA, MBE, SN or even Drake's pic up there like that. JM's picture worked because it goes with the character and it follows a Dimera tradition. It would have been better if they had chosen a picture of Jawn to show that he was completely accepting his Dimera heritage as his future. Putting Marlena's picture up there was hardly anything to do with plot. I believe it was meant to be a symbol and possibly slight at JM who was making nasty remarks by then of his treatment.

And that picture of Dee? Hilarious. It was like a glamor shot from 20 years ago.

All that aside though, I do agree that Marlena's absence from the show is not working out, as she should be around even if it's not in John's storyline (and remember I loathe Marlena so it hurts for me to admit that). What Dee is goign through is what the show has gotten into a bad habit of FOR YEARS. Making a character all about their significant other instead of letting them exist on their own. Marlena has always been 100% about John but she's got children and her practice, give her something else to do while Java happen. One 5 minute scene with her daughter doesn't count. This shouldn't be that hard. She's lived in Salem for years and has friendships with people all over town.

Edited by Tripp, Jul 13 2008, 03:42 PM.

leelee
Member Avatar

jules
Jul 13 2008, 03:33 PM
IMissAremid
PhoenixRising05

ITA with this post.
Edited by leelee, Jul 13 2008, 03:43 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply