Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days Backstage Drama Gossip; Well...........hmmmmm
Topic Started: Jul 13 2008, 06:46 AM (9,317 Views)
Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Jul 13 2008, 10:44 PM
That's a good question, Ellie.

I'm not sure. I know for sporting events they often look at the ratings in time increments, as in how the event did at certain points in the day or evening. I would think they measure the show in time increments and average the number together come up with the total number but I'm not sure.
Ok, thanks. Now I'm curious, lol - I'll let you know if I find out.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Sweet Sauce
Jul 13 2008, 08:13 PM
I'm a fan, and I know where she stands, and it makes me happy. I don't need her to do an article in SOD saying she hates what the writer is doing, because I already know she cares. I know that she does 100% to keep Marlena as close to the core of who Marlena is and should be.

There were some rumors in 03 that Deidre didn't like what Higley was doing to Marlena, but she didn't say a word to the media while Higley was there. IMO, you saw it in how she portrayed Marlena onscreen. Moments that were obviously supposed to drive Tony and Marlena closer, by having Marlena act out of character, but she played it as best she could. I don't need her to make a big statement or yell it out, because she tried to keep the parts of Marlena that she could true to who the character was.

I am not saying what fans thought, I'm saying what the actors said, the people getting the feedback and response. And they said that John/Isabella weren't a popular couple, so please, don't shoot the messenger. Rumors are rumors, but when several different people say the same thing without having to, to me, that's a reason to belive them.
Just curious why do you think Marlena was out of character by getting closer to Tony? From what I heard, Deidre pushed for "Mony." Thaao did not want "Mony" and has said so publicly. Yet Thaao got all the shit for Mony which he is still getting shit for, and Deidre received no backlash for that couple.

Thaao and Dee did push for Mony back in 1995. I do have an article to support that. They both wanted out of the John/Kristen thing.

Deleted User
Deleted User

ladyofthelake
Jul 13 2008, 06:46 AM
OK, I got this off of another board that has a "Backstage Drama" thread. (Don't know if I'm allowed to mention the board, but Tripp and Paxton know about it.) Here's the scoop, paraphrased (and the poster put on that she is NOT the direct source):

There have been backstage politics & squabbles, network demands, and Dena Higley was given a come-to-Jesus. TPTB demanded rewrites and restructuring, the reason for the quick and nonstop couple shuffling. And there will be more. Nicole gets lots of story coming up, but it's still up in the air as to whether EJ will be her guy. They still have not determined a long-term partner for her. Actually, the entire Nicole/E.J./Sami/Lucas/Chloe/Phillip/Morgan mess is still not set in stone, although DH is strongly wanting to write for Lucas/Chloe and Phillip/Morgan this summer. The problem there is that "Lumi" and "Phloe" fans are still strongly supporting those couples, and so the networks don't want to throw in those towels just yet. Also, Tamara Braun was a hit as Ava and it was not just the audience who loved her work with Drake Hogestyn. "Java" was a hit with higher-ups as well, and attempts will be made to get TB back, if they haven't been already come to an agreement. However, even if TB does come back, Deidre Hall can put a stop to "Java", and TB will be chem-tested again elsewhere. Just as with the John/Isabella pairing, DeHa is NOT happy being the odd, older woman out in a triangle, and she may get her way. The show is still in trouble.
She didn't hear anything about EJami. She's not sure if it's completely shelved, but it certainly isn't high priority.
One of us can post more as we hear about it.
So, well, I guess I'll find my happiness with Days when I can. Sounds like it won't last long. Maybe I'll bombard the NBC board! :huh:

I hope to GOD that this isn't true, and DH isn't so damn petty that she stops the AMAZING "Java" pairing. I mean, Dee, seriously. This makes your show FRESH again (this new pairing, that clearly is a hit with EVIDENT chemistry -- to say the least -- which means the show could live longer and you continue getting paid.

I really hope she's not that selfish.
Quote Post Goto Top

Red Mist
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jul 13 2008, 06:46 AM
OK, I got this off of another board that has a "Backstage Drama" thread. (Don't know if I'm allowed to mention the board, but Tripp and Paxton know about it.) Here's the scoop, paraphrased (and the poster put on that she is NOT the direct source):

There have been backstage politics & squabbles, network demands, and Dena Higley was given a come-to-Jesus. TPTB demanded rewrites and restructuring, the reason for the quick and nonstop couple shuffling. And there will be more. Nicole gets lots of story coming up, but it's still up in the air as to whether EJ will be her guy. They still have not determined a long-term partner for her. Actually, the entire Nicole/E.J./Sami/Lucas/Chloe/Phillip/Morgan mess is still not set in stone, although DH is strongly wanting to write for Lucas/Chloe and Phillip/Morgan this summer. The problem there is that "Lumi" and "Phloe" fans are still strongly supporting those couples, and so the networks don't want to throw in those towels just yet. Also, Tamara Braun was a hit as Ava and it was not just the audience who loved her work with Drake Hogestyn. "Java" was a hit with higher-ups as well, and attempts will be made to get TB back, if they haven't been already come to an agreement. However, even if TB does come back, Deidre Hall can put a stop to "Java", and TB will be chem-tested again elsewhere. Just as with the John/Isabella pairing, DeHa is NOT happy being the odd, older woman out in a triangle, and she may get her way. The show is still in trouble.
She didn't hear anything about EJami. She's not sure if it's completely shelved, but it certainly isn't high priority.
One of us can post more as we hear about it.
So, well, I guess I'll find my happiness with Days when I can. Sounds like it won't last long. Maybe I'll bombard the NBC board! :huh:

;) no disrespect , but I ain't buying this. And I have good reason not to....not putting down this source, just saying I have heard different then what is written here.

But we shall see what goes DOWN on DAYS soon...ratings and otherwise. lol

Deleted User
Deleted User

Even if it's not true, it's always fun to get fake backstage gossip, right? And that seems answered by the fact that this thread made it to seven pages.
Quote Post Goto Top

Shylock

@ the no "hit" couples thing from earlier: It's hard to have a hit couple when they're still shuffling them about and haven't given them anything to run with. Nicole/EJ and Sami/EJ have a lot of chemistry, as do Phillip/Morgan. But none of them are together and are being given any sort of direction. Phillip / Morgan have the whole thing with her father, but no one knows where that's going. Nicole and EJ could have a good hunk of stuff to work with if you take the Trent factor into consideration. They're a much more versatile couple than EJ and Sami. And I figure they could be this show's new Supercouple. And I mean that in a "Hey, these people bring in the ratings" sort of way, but the writing has to be there to back it up.

@ the Marlena picture thing: John removed the picture of Stefano and put the picture of Marlena up there in a failed attempt to impress her. Wasn't he trying to woo her a little bit at the time and he had Stefano's picture replaced with one of her?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

EJ/Nicole and Philip/Morgan, I think, Higley and co. have been lucky with because things have tuned out perfect. The setup actually worked and now you have so much you can do with them as their relationships grow. They even have perfect complications to deal with (Trent/Sami, Paul). I think if Days sticks with both they could end up being HUGE couples. EJ/Nicole already have many fans and Philip/Morgan is growing too. They are two of the things Higley and Days has done right this year IMO. I really hope Days commits to both couples and stays with them for the long haul.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Wow this thread is insane lol.

I can see where some of this could be true... because alot of the "couples" are a cluster fuck right now. So I can see how the rewrites and restructuring are possibly true... because it is playing out on the screen.

All I can say is if the actor/actresses have as much power as people think they do I don't know why the hell they aren't using it! Especially if you are a vet and created the role you play! That being said these people are professionals and they know they are there to act... not write.

On the flip side I hate when an actor/actress acts like they are the be all and end all... that they want things done "their way" or "no way". Joe M is a perfect example. He always says that he has laid down his demands with Corday and that he expects things to happen a certain way sl wise. Yet they never do happen his way... and he keeps coming back! That to me proves how much "power" the actors/actresses have!

I say the ultimate power and actor/actress has is their contract! They have the power whether or not to resign.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

hoochielicious
Jul 13 2008, 10:56 PM
Just curious why do you think Marlena was out of character by getting closer to Tony? From what I heard, Deidre pushed for "Mony." Thaao did not want "Mony" and has said so publicly. Yet Thaao got all the shit for Mony which he is still getting shit for, and Deidre received no backlash for that couple.

Thaao and Dee did push for Mony back in 1995. I do have an article to support that. They both wanted out of the John/Kristen thing.
Because Marlena is not a woman to be confused about a man she has never had romantic feelings for. And Higley wrote Marlena as confused, and Marlena is a character who strives to never be confused or out of control of her life. Too much has happened for her to let that happen. Esp after the affair. That wasen't just an affair for fun's sake, it was a mistake she made and paid for, and we saw her struggle to regain the control of her life. It was belivable to me only because of who the guy was and the build up. We saw the build up for a year and a half. And in 2003, she was fully committed, married to and completely in love with her husband. John. The writing was a mess overall though at that time (2003).

Pushing for it in 1995 and pushing for it in 2003 are two very different things. Deidre and Thaao are buds, and who can blame them for wanting out of that in 1995, fan or not, because Kristen/John was horrid for all four characters (IMO, Kristen was horrid for all four). Even I wouldn't have minded if Marlena had gone out with Tony in 1995, and I enjoyed their friendship, and that was it. But she didn't push for Marlena to end up with Tony in 2003.

No one's blaming Thaao either, I certainly haven't seen any friends of mine who are J&M fans blame Thaao for it. The one who pushed for "Mony" was Higley. Thaao and Deidre both did their best to keep their characters in character, that was evident onscreen. Moments that were obviously written to be plot driven "moments" were played down and kept in character.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

PhoenixRising05
Jul 14 2008, 12:03 AM
EJ/Nicole and Philip/Morgan, I think, Higley and co. have been lucky with because things have tuned out perfect. The setup actually worked and now you have so much you can do with them as their relationships grow. They even have perfect complications to deal with (Trent/Sami, Paul). I think if Days sticks with both they could end up being HUGE couples. EJ/Nicole already have many fans and Philip/Morgan is growing too. They are two of the things Higley and Days has done right this year IMO. I really hope Days commits to both couples and stays with them for the long haul.
I agree halfway. I think EJ and Nicole are a tremendously interesting couple with terrific chemistry. Philip and Morgan I hate--and I mean hate--together. I don't see any chemistry, I don't like Morgan, and I don't see how that relationship could ever go anywhere even if I wanted it to. I also have no idea how large their fanbase is or if it's growing, but just about every pairing has fans, doesn't mean it's a good idea for the show.

But because this show always does the exact opposite of what I want, I'm probably in for months more of Phorgan while EJole comes to a screeching halt. I am the kiss of death to couples I like. I'm not proud of it, but there it is.

marisol40

Philip and Morgan I hate--and I mean hate--together. I don't see any chemistry, I don't like Morgan, and I don't see how that relationship could ever go anywhere even if I wanted it to. I also have no idea how large their fanbase is or if it's growing, but just about every pairing has fans, doesn't mean it's a good idea for the show.

I say give them a chance, it's not like Phloe is doing anything for the ratings. As a matter of fact they were hot and heavy when the ratings began to slump further into the daytime basement.
Edited by marisol40, Jul 14 2008, 10:06 AM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

marisol40
Jul 14 2008, 10:05 AM
I say give them a chance, it's not like Phloe is doing anything for the ratings. As a matter of fact they were hot and heavy when the ratings began to slump further into the daytime basement.
I never blame any one couple for the ratings, but if we're going to do that, then I think it only fair to point out that Morgan and Philip aren't raising the ratings either. Are they a couple? No (and God willing, they won't be), but Morgan has already kissed Philip and they're clearly being built up as a romantic pairing. People have had enough time to get interested. Some people are, some people aren't, but it's not like if you've ever watched a soap before you couldn't tell where they were going with them. If they had the power to raise ratings I would think we'd be seeing it already.

Like I said, since I don't want them, Phorgan fans can sit back and enjoy; my fate is sealed.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jul 14 2008, 10:40 AM
marisol40
Jul 14 2008, 10:05 AM
I never blame any one couple for the ratings, but if we're going to do that, then I think it only fair to point out that Morgan and Philip aren't raising the ratings either. Are they a couple? No (and God willing, they won't be), but Morgan has already kissed Philip and they're clearly being built up as a romantic pairing. People have had enough time to get interested. Some people are, some people aren't, but it's not like if you've ever watched a soap before you couldn't tell where they were going with them. If they had the power to raise ratings I would think we'd be seeing it already.

Like I said, since I don't want them, Phorgan fans can sit back and enjoy; my fate is sealed.
Poor Paxton. :frown: Perhaps you should pretend to like Phorgan so they would be shut down! Just kidding. Or maybe not. No, really. I feel for you as sometimes I think the same thing regarding couples I like. I just go with the flow because I try to be a fan of the show more than couples although I do have my favorites.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 13 2008, 10:29 PM
The fans you are talking about, Ellie, are the show's core fans. They may be people who have watched since the beginning, like my grandmother, or people who more or less still watch out of habit or just love of the show. I know many like that for many soaps. They probably do make up a good percentage of the Nielson system. That wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think we get a distorted view online because I've actually witnessed people in real life turn off a TV or only watch if their favorite character/couple is on and there are definitely many online that do that or just watch youtube clips of their faves instead of viewing the whole show. Usually, they will watch the first act and turn it off if they don't see who they like (which is stupid now because Days will have characters pop up during the show. Fans are quite fickle now and that is the case for all soaps but especially Days.

I know we disagree alot but I do appreciate the way you respond. It's not antagonistic or forceful. I like that we can have respectful debates like this and I look forward to many more :smile: .
Ok guys, this is your grandmother talking! Yes, I am old enough to be your grandmother (or at least your mother) ;) and I have been watching since the beginning and you are right Tim about it being a love of the show (or a habit) or both. I do have my favorites and sometimes get frustrated with how they are written, but I guess I just wait it out because I know from past experience that this too will pass. Another head writer will come along and things will change again. I can't believe that no one here, or any where else that I have seen, have ever suggested that Corday just write his own show and skip the middle man! :D God help us all if that happened!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Shylock
Jul 13 2008, 11:53 PM
@ the no "hit" couples thing from earlier: It's hard to have a hit couple when they're still shuffling them about and haven't given them anything to run with. Nicole/EJ and Sami/EJ have a lot of chemistry, as do Phillip/Morgan. But none of them are together and are being given any sort of direction. Phillip / Morgan have the whole thing with her father, but no one knows where that's going. Nicole and EJ could have a good hunk of stuff to work with if you take the Trent factor into consideration. They're a much more versatile couple than EJ and Sami. And I figure they could be this show's new Supercouple. And I mean that in a "Hey, these people bring in the ratings" sort of way, but the writing has to be there to back it up.

@ the Marlena picture thing: John removed the picture of Stefano and put the picture of Marlena up there in a failed attempt to impress her. Wasn't he trying to woo her a little bit at the time and he had Stefano's picture replaced with one of her?
Here's my take. The 'hit' factor isn't about ratings. The current viewers were positively buzzing about John and Ava, 'two misfits who fit perfectly together -- it's SO well written, so in character for both of them to be drawn to each other'! And let's not forget, 'Oh, the CHEMISTRY!' and 'She could be the next KRISTEN!'

That's what many viewers saw, and I believe that's what TPTB saw. That's what makes them a 'hit,' if it's true. Not the ratings.
Quote Post Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Jul 14 2008, 03:58 PM
'She could be the next KRISTEN!'
That is BLASPHEMY lmao :P

Drakelicious

JERSoapsFan
Jul 14 2008, 03:58 PM
Shylock
Jul 13 2008, 11:53 PM

Here's my take. The 'hit' factor isn't about ratings. The current viewers were positively buzzing about John and Ava, 'two misfits who fit perfectly together -- it's SO well written, so in character for both of them to be drawn to each other'! And let's not forget, 'Oh, the CHEMISTRY!' and 'She could be the next KRISTEN!'

That's what many viewers saw, and I believe that's what TPTB saw. That's what makes them a 'hit,' if it's true. Not the ratings.
ITA JERSoapsFan! I've LOVED Java from day one and am ticked off that they'll be ending soon but am glad that they make love before Tamara exits the show and am THRILLED that the door has been left open for her return to DAYS. Also, according to Drake, he also gave the impression to the soap opera press that these two weren't supposed to share any more than one scene, and people started telling him that they liked what they saw, and suddenly NEW scripts were sent to his house with Java scenes in them. I believe Drake!

cassie1013

As much as I want to root for Philip and Chloe, it doesn't help that Nadia's acting hasn't improved at all over the past 8 years. She had the same mediocre line delivery in the middle of that Coronation s/l in 2001 - I used to just excuse it as her being young and inexperienced, but it's now 2008... how the hell did they decide to rehire her without any sort of acting teacher/schooling? Watching her is a complete joke, and it's really embarassing for her and the show. I always wonder what the rest of the cast is thinking when they have to act with her LOL.

The #1 reason I can't support Phloe is because one half of the couple is like cardboard, so Phorgan takes the cake (for now).

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

LOL, I can't believe this thread is still here!! :D

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 13 2008, 07:39 PM
Yes, it is the writer's responsibility but writers are human. They make mistakes and sometimes they need an actor's help too. Look at how Kristian Alfonso stepped up and helped out with John's funeral. Tom Casiello was openly appreciative of that. Sometimes a writer doesn't get a character at all and you can't just fire a writer for not knowing how to write for one character. Therefore, the actor's help is needed at times. That is all I am saying. I applaud her for pushing the show in a positive light. I have no problem with that. I just think behind the scenes she could and should be a bit more forceful, especially at times like this when her character is a mess.
What did Kristian Alfonso do?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply